Boalt 1Ls taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
hownowbrowncow

New

Re: Boalt 1Ls taking questions

Post by hownowbrowncow » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:17 pm

Hey guys, I have a housing question. I'm moving up to Berkeley on July 28, but I'm worried that will be too late to find a good apartment. I've been searching online and such, but I haven't committed to anything since I can't see it in person. Y'all have any suggestions? Am I safe just arranging apartments to look at when I go up or would I be better off landing a place before then? Thanks!

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:19 pm

hownowbrowncow wrote:Hey guys, I have a housing question. I'm moving up to Berkeley on July 28, but I'm worried that will be too late to find a good apartment. I've been searching online and such, but I haven't committed to anything since I can't see it in person. Y'all have any suggestions? Am I safe just arranging apartments to look at when I go up or would I be better off landing a place before then? Thanks!
Last year I showed up like August 3rd or something and apartment-searched for three days during OCI and found one. I think you'll be fine as long as you have a place to stay while you look or money to stay in a hotel.

pkt63

Bronze

Post by pkt63 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:22 pm

Kronk wrote:
hownowbrowncow wrote:Hey guys, I have a housing question. I'm moving up to Berkeley on July 28, but I'm worried that will be too late to find a good apartment. I've been searching online and such, but I haven't committed to anything since I can't see it in person. Y'all have any suggestions? Am I safe just arranging apartments to look at when I go up or would I be better off landing a place before then? Thanks!
Last year I showed up like August 3rd or something and apartment-searched for three days during OCI and found one. I think you'll be fine as long as you have a place to stay while you look or money to stay in a hotel.
That's what I am hoping to do this year. Kronk, am I right in guesstimating that you are in interviews an average of like 1.5 hours a day? I was thinking there would be plenty of time to apt hunt those days as well, but then I supposed you may get screwed and get one interview every hour to hour and a half and can't really go anywhere in between then it ends up taking up your whole day? Also, sort of related, if we are supposed to target getting 20 interviews, and it all depends on when the particular firms are interviewing, I should probably expect that I might have like 7 on one day, 1-2 on a couple others, etc.? Like how awkward was your schedule that week and did you just hang out in the hotel lobby/bar between interviews?

Thanks!

HappyPanda

New

Post by HappyPanda » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:07 pm

So what are some good areas to live in around Berkeley? The area around the college is too expensive and I have a car so I'm looking to cut costs and ok with being a bit farther away (but not more than 10 miles, because screw traffic hah).

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:09 pm

HappyPanda wrote:So what are some good areas to live in around Berkeley? The area around the college is too expensive and I have a car so I'm looking to cut costs and ok with being a bit farther away (but not more than 10 miles, because screw traffic hah).
Rockridge is nice and a bit further. There are certain areas of Oakland that are nice. North Berkeley is going to be cheap and further away, too.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:12 pm

pkt63 wrote:
Kronk wrote:
That's what I am hoping to do this year. Kronk, am I right in guesstimating that you are in interviews an average of like 1.5 hours a day? I was thinking there would be plenty of time to apt hunt those days as well, but then I supposed you may get screwed and get one interview every hour to hour and a half and can't really go anywhere in between then it ends up taking up your whole day? Also, sort of related, if we are supposed to target getting 20 interviews, and it all depends on when the particular firms are interviewing, I should probably expect that I might have like 7 on one day, 1-2 on a couple others, etc.? Like how awkward was your schedule that week and did you just hang out in the hotel lobby/bar between interviews?

Thanks!
Eh, there were only 1-2 days that I felt I could actually get away during interviews, although I did a lot of going over to Kinkos to fax the lease or sign stuff and etc. during those days. It might only be 1.5hrs interviewing, but it feels like a lot more. I had 25 screeners. And I just hung out in the hotel lobby and bar between them. I had a beer one or two days. Probably not prudent, but lots of fun and some good beer if it's still at the Hotel Shattuck.

I usually went to see places either the days immediately before OCI or before / after my OCI ended. I visited I think 4-5 places and settled on one soon after.

tl;dr not really enough time to do stuff in between usually, but it will depend on your schedule, just go to look at places after you're done, which may be early if you get lucky. Might be some days you only have one in the early morning one late afternoon, in which case you have the whole day, who knows.

drmguy

Silver

Post by drmguy » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:58 pm

Anyone have an idea on what the max parental income can be to get need based money?

jim-green

Silver

Post by jim-green » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:07 am

Kronk wrote:
Hi Kronk, I am arriving in Cal on 7/28 too and will take 3-4 days to find an apartment. But what is the connection with OCI? I am a 0L and I thought OCI was done as a rising 2L!

pkt63

Bronze

Post by pkt63 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:14 pm

jim-green wrote:
Kronk wrote:
Hi Kronk, I am arriving in Cal on 7/28 too and will take 3-4 days to find an apartment. But what is the connection with OCI? I am a 0L and I thought OCI was done as a rising 2L!
OCI is for rising 2Ls or 3Ls. I think he was just saying he was at OCI to explain why he was looking during that week.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jim-green

Silver

Post by jim-green » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:03 pm

pkt63 wrote:OCI is for rising 2Ls or 3Ls. I think he was just saying he was at OCI to explain why he was looking during that week.
Ah, you mean Kronk was a 2L and looking for new apartments that week after having lived at Cal a year? Then that explains it.

Redamon1

Bronze

Post by Redamon1 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:45 am

0L here. Just wanted to thank all the Boalties ITT who've been incredibly helpful over the past years in answering questions about Berkeley! I look forward to starting this fall!

WhiteyCakes

Silver

Post by WhiteyCakes » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:55 am

+1
drmguy wrote:Anyone have an idea on what the max parental income can be to get need based money?

Virgil777

Bronze

Post by Virgil777 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:30 pm

deleted
Last edited by Virgil777 on Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:00 pm

jim-green wrote:
pkt63 wrote:OCI is for rising 2Ls or 3Ls. I think he was just saying he was at OCI to explain why he was looking during that week.
Ah, you mean Kronk was a 2L and looking for new apartments that week after having lived at Cal a year? Then that explains it.

Yeah my point was that if I could find an apt in a couple days during the busyness of OCI people will be fine getting there in late July.

jim-green

Silver

Post by jim-green » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:06 pm

Kronk wrote:
jim-green wrote:
Yeah my point was that if I could find an apt in a couple days during the busyness of OCI people will be fine getting there in late July.
Kronk, you rock! Thanks for all the advice.

L’Étranger

Bronze

Post by L’Étranger » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:19 pm

Re questions about ideal places to live and shop in Berkeley: My view is that Berkeley is not a city within its own right but rather a borough in the Bay Metropolitan Area and while in terms of culture, food, and great weather the Bay Met Area is tops it is also uniformly congested, inconvenient, and expensive thus sadly there is no ideal place to live or shop no matter where in the Bay Met Area you go. So I would just say don't sweat too much over these things.

SemperLegal

Silver

Post by SemperLegal » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:12 pm

Where can I get a good haircut in Berk? Just got hustled by a barber on Shattuck.

Not looking for anything crazy, but six minutes with a set of clippers just won't do.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Rotor

Silver

Post by Rotor » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:59 am

SemperLegal wrote:Where can I get a good haircut in Berk? Just got hustled by a barber on Shattuck.

Not looking for anything crazy, but six minutes with a set of clippers just won't do.
Amplify on Durant just above Telegraph is where I go. But if you don't want a quick clip, don't go there on Friday when Elias (from Lebanon) works. I think he does a great job, but it is FAST. Garret (Asian/Pacific Islander/Native American-looking) is more methodical and has his cosmetician's license so he can clean up the back of your neck with a straight razor if you like. Alan, the owner, is also super, but he tends to bounce between shops in Walnut Creek. He recently bought the one in the basement in the alley between Ned's and Wells Fargo on Bancroft and it is now MUCH less scary than that place used to be. (Elias works there Thursday). I think prices just went up to $21.

Edit: Good reviews on Yelp--http://www.yelp.com/biz/amplify-barber-shop-berkeley

azgirl514

New

Post by azgirl514 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:13 am

Hi guys,
I saw on the website that we take three required courses during the first semester and two during the second. Do we get assigned the required courses we take (depending on which mod we're assigned) or do we get to choose? Also, do we find out about modules/professors during orientation, or beforehand? Because Dean Tom seemed to indicate that we would be getting more information via email sometime soon, which definitely hasn't happened. Compared to some of the other schools I got into, Berkeley definitely doesn't spam us with mail. ;)

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:59 am

azgirl514 wrote:Hi guys,
I saw on the website that we take three required courses during the first semester and two during the second. Do we get assigned the required courses we take (depending on which mod we're assigned) or do we get to choose? Also, do we find out about modules/professors during orientation, or beforehand? Because Dean Tom seemed to indicate that we would be getting more information via email sometime soon, which definitely hasn't happened. Compared to some of the other schools I got into, Berkeley definitely doesn't spam us with mail. ;)
You get assigned your courses, and yeah, I believe you get them at orientation IIRC.

gymboree

Silver

Post by gymboree » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:57 pm

Hey guys -
Reminder about the first big Boalt party of the year - The Launch Party, Sat. Aug. 18 at 8pm-midnight.***DJ, catering, Open Bar*** $40. 400+ Boalt students, significant others welcome. Did we mention open bar? Open bar.

Note: this is student led, not an official orientation event, supporting Advocates for Youth Justice student clinics.
Details about the event here: https://www.facebook.com/events/330003790408191/

See you there and welcome to Boalt!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jim-green

Silver

Post by jim-green » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:46 pm

Thanks, Gymboree. I moved to CA this week and moved into an apartment at San Pablo and Gilman. Is this a good location? Looked OK to me but I do not have in-depth knowledge of the area.

Secondly, what is the best bank to open an account at in Berkeley?

I have the next week free so I am wondering if there is anything 2Ls can suggest I do to better prepare for classes, that I may not have thought of. In the way of buying books, supplies, anything...

gymboree

Silver

Post by gymboree » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:18 pm

jim-green wrote:Thanks, Gymboree. I moved to CA this week and moved into an apartment at San Pablo and Gilman. Is this a good location? Looked OK to me but I do not have in-depth knowledge of the area.

Secondly, what is the best bank to open an account at in Berkeley?

I have the next week free so I am wondering if there is anything 2Ls can suggest I do to better prepare for classes, that I may not have thought of. In the way of buying books, supplies, anything...
Neighborhood - I don't know that neighborhood. If it's near a bus line that drops you close to Boalt, fantastic.

Best bank - the Berkeley student credit union is great. It has a nice % kick on savings, so when your loan money plunks down in there, it's making a little something. If you want a major bank, there are Wells Fargo ATMs on Bancroft, so that's handy (and they're all over the city, too).

Best way to prepare? I'm thinking sleep. Go outside. Hike the fire trails. Firm up your exercise routine (or get one). Remember to continue doing these things when school starts.

pkt63

Bronze

Post by pkt63 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:30 pm

Hey 3Ls and older - what is your experience with wait lists? it sounds like it is a eye-roll worthy process everyone goes through, but that you pretty much always get the class you waitlisted for? I mean, I've heard that from like 2 people I think (who heard it from others, etc). This whole thing just seems so ridiculous. I'm #16 on a wait list for a class that only accepts 20, and 15 are enrolled. I just don't see how that math could work for me, but I really don't want to have to attend other classes I really don't want just in case. I mean, I guess I'll have to do that no matter what to be safe. But is this really the best the registrar/curriculum committee can do? Offering a bunch of classes that are half or less enrolled, and then a bunch that are 200% or more? I know I am by far not the only one having to do this, nor is this new this year, but going to a bunch of extra classes, when you really have a hard time making it to the most basic ones because of interviews is a stressful way to start off 2L.

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:32 pm

I don't know. I wouldn't stay on that far backed up. The thing is they keep a bunch of spots open for the LLMs who register like a couple days before class or something like that, so a lot of times as long as you are in the top 10-20 you are pretty much in, but that's for bigger classes. Aside from that quirk it's just like any other waitlist would be in UG or otherwise--see if the numbers seem worthwhile, if not you can either drop it or email the professor and ask.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”