Temple 1L taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
dreakol

Re: Temple 1L taking questions

Postby dreakol » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:59 am

anyone have experience with this building: http://www.rent.com/rentals/pennsylvani ... rank=1&fl=

Cosmo Kramer

Postby Cosmo Kramer » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:25 pm

arvcondor wrote:To the two Temple students here: What are you specializing in and how do you find the curriculum?

Sorry I don't check this site too often, but I'll check my PMs so just send any questions that way and if you'd like I can post the answers here.

As for your question, I'm a 1L so no specialty here. Honestly, the bigger decision is litigation v. transactional work. Second year you get to choose a program in either, and the lit firms I've talked to say they become wary of anyone applying that haven't chosen the lit program/moot court/that kind of stuff. We get the info on picking classes later this semester so I'll have more to say later. As far as the curriculum question, you'll have to be more specific.

Band A Long

Postby Band A Long » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:10 pm

Two questions:

1) Is there any word on campus about the potential effect of Corbett's budget on Temple law's tuition? I know at most schools the law school and other schools are separate, fiscally.

2) Obviously there is competition from nova, penn, etc. but is it possible to get a position in the Philly DA's office from Temple? I'm very interested in that sort of work and it seems like Temple would be a great place for it, but I don't know how competitive that sort of position is considering all of the law students in the area...

Thanks

arvcondor

Postby arvcondor » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:57 pm

Band, I'm not exactly sure what the answer is to the first question, although I can tell you that the law school does indeed receive tuition subsidies from the state, unlike the other universities. I'm pretty worried about this, actually.

As for the second question, I'm not sure what the exact possibility is of Temple grads working in the DA's office, but I know that the last DA, Lynne Abrahama, was a Temple alum.

Band A Long

Postby Band A Long » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:44 am

Ok, thanks for the answers : D I'll have to read about her

Cosmo Kramer

Postby Cosmo Kramer » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:15 pm

Band A Long wrote:Two questions:

1) Is there any word on campus about the potential effect of Corbett's budget on Temple law's tuition? I know at most schools the law school and other schools are separate, fiscally.

2) Obviously there is competition from nova, penn, etc. but is it possible to get a position in the Philly DA's office from Temple? I'm very interested in that sort of work and it seems like Temple would be a great place for it, but I don't know how competitive that sort of position is considering all of the law students in the area...

Thanks

(1) Not sure about this either, but I believe Temple Law is connected to the undergrad and thus will be effected by the massive budget cuts Corbett has planned (unlike PSU Dickinson, which is already privately funded)
(2) The DA's office is flooded with Temple grads, so I wouldn't say there is a disadvantage. However, it does seem like a lot of Temple students want to work for the DA so it is probably still pretty competitive just within the Temple community

arvcondor

Postby arvcondor » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:10 am

bumping this for continued discussion

dreakol

Postby dreakol » Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:34 pm

does any one have experience with the area around north 29th street and girard ave?

brownlaw56

Postby brownlaw56 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:18 am

Does anyone have any information on how Temple students do in DC, Harrisburg or Pittsburgh?

arvcondor

Postby arvcondor » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:24 pm

brownlaw56 wrote:Does anyone have any information on how Temple students do in DC, Harrisburg or Pittsburgh?

Very, very poorly at the first. Probably fine at the second, and likely not nearly as well as Pitt at the third.

usmcjag

Postby usmcjag » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:29 pm

Ill be starting at Temple PT in the fall, and I had a question about rankings - how does Temple rank part time students compared to their full time colleagues? Separately, same starting class, or same graduating class?

thwalls wrote:
NJPharmD2011 wrote:
duckz wrote:Know anyone in the night program and how they like it?

I'm applying to the evening program and I'm wondering the same thing...

I'm an evening student and I love the place. I live Northwest of the city and work downtown at 16th and Market. So I can take the train in the morning which takes about 15-20 minutes, then I take the Broad Street line up to Temple from work. Also, Temple has two train stations, which makes the commuting easier.

I haven't had a single problem [knock on wood] on campus. Usually the campus is packed with people most of the time so you're never alone. The class schedule can be kind of daunting in the beginning, and if you didn't have good study habits in college you're going to learn them once you start night school. This semester isn't as bad as the first semester, which was basically 6-9 Monday through Thursday. Although, this semester it's gotten a little lighter.

The law school also tries to balance their on-campus activities so night students can go to them. For example, they have lectures and meetings for the different clubs and societies between 5 and 6 pm. They really make an effort to let you know that they don't consider you second class citizens.

Also, not to hurt your feelings OP, we were told by the Dean last semester that the night students are her favorites since Temple Law was founded as a night school. I know you're going to cry yourself to sleep about that. :D

ghog

Postby ghog » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:17 pm

If anyone's looking for an apt in center city my friend's moving and needs someone to take over the lease/sublet. he's living with two guys - one's working and one's a grad student at penn- very easy going, clean and just looking for someone friendly. the apartment is really nice and in a great location. the room is also surprisingly cheap ($800/month) and very quiet. if anyone's looking for an apt, PM me and I can give you more details and pictures.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”