Temple 1L taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
manbearwig

Bronze

Temple 1L taking questions

Post by manbearwig » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:58 pm

I like to procrastinate, so let's see if anyone's interested in Temple. : D

johnnyutah

Gold

Re: Temple 1L taking questions

Post by johnnyutah » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:18 pm

Do you know much about how Temple 2L/3Ls are doing with the job search?

manbearwig

Bronze

Post by manbearwig » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:53 pm

johnnyutah wrote:Do you know much about how Temple 2L/3Ls are doing with the job search?
Unfortunately, not really. I've been here long enough to get a good idea of the school in general and 1L stuff, but I haven't gotten close enough to any 2L/3Ls to ask about job searches. If I do hear anything, I can message you or post it here, though.

(How's the economy looking through Penn?)

OrdinarilySkilled

Bronze

Post by OrdinarilySkilled » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:58 pm

If I want to go in the evening should I factor in the the possibility of being assaulted? Do you live on campus?

manbearwig

Bronze

Post by manbearwig » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:31 pm

OrdinarilySkilled wrote:If I want to go in the evening should I factor in the the possibility of being assaulted? Do you live on campus?
As long as you stay on campus, you'd be fine. There are multiple flood lights on every building, so the place is completely lit up. Also, there are going to be so many other evening students around + undergrads who live on campus.

And Temple has the third largest police force in Pennsylvania.

I live off campus; I take the subway in every day.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

johnnyutah

Gold

Post by johnnyutah » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:52 pm

manbearwig wrote:(How's the economy looking through Penn?)
Crappy :mrgreen:

arvcondor

Bronze

Post by arvcondor » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:48 am

Hey manbear,

I'm interested in Temple. It's where I went for undergrad, I love Philly and want to ultimately work there, and I prefer living in the city and going to school for cheap to paying boatloads of cash to go to Nova on the Main Line.

So I guess I'll just ask: How do you like it?

masterthearts

Bronze

Post by masterthearts » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:59 pm

Is Temple a bad school? I want to be employed after graduation. Is anyone looking at Temple grads these days?

manbearwig

Bronze

Post by manbearwig » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:21 pm

arvcondor wrote:Hey manbear,

I'm interested in Temple. It's where I went for undergrad, I love Philly and want to ultimately work there, and I prefer living in the city and going to school for cheap to paying boatloads of cash to go to Nova on the Main Line.

So I guess I'll just ask: How do you like it?
I'm really liking it. I'm really not sure why someone would choose Nova over Temple. Temple has really good connections with the city and is crazy cheap.

What I'm surprised about is how much I like the atmosphere at school. People are really nice and really not outwardly competitive. Everyone works hard, but there's definitely a "we're all in this together" mentality. At least, that's how my section is. Pretty sure the other sections are similar. The profs are also mostly pretty awesome. Some are better teachers than others, but they all know what they're talking about. They're also willing to talk to you and help you out.
masterthearts wrote: Is Temple a bad school? I want to be employed after graduation. Is anyone looking at Temple grads these days?
Temple is definitely underrated. However, yeah, the economy kind of sucks right now. But, it seems like you have the same shot at jobs from Temple compared to any other top regional school. From what I've heard, Philly employers like Temple grads. If you want Biglaw, it's gonna be hard wherever you go, but otherwise, it doesn't seem like Temple's a bad basket to put your eggs in.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

arvcondor

Bronze

Post by arvcondor » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:10 am

I just got a fee waiver from them. I've got a 3.5 and just scored a 164 in October, plus some good softs. Is this similar to you, and did you get money?

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:22 am

I got into Temple with a pretty big scholarship last year; visited, and loved it. The people there really were great. It was very difficult for me to turn them down, but I just didn't want to work in Philly. I wasn't comfortable with the fact that my best bet at work would be Philly, and if I remember correctly, shortly after my visit a major Philly firm closed it's doors. I realized that with the economy in the state it was in, Penn students and t14 students who were from Philly would push harder than ever to get a job there...just didn't seem like a good situation.

That's the case pretty much everywhere though. If you are a Pennsylvania resident, and want to work in Philly, Temple is a very affordable option. The professors, students, and administration really are great. Just don't delude yourself about your job prospects. Know what you're getting into and you'll be fine.

manbearwig

Bronze

Post by manbearwig » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:44 am

arvcondor wrote:I just got a fee waiver from them. I've got a 3.5 and just scored a 164 in October, plus some good softs. Is this similar to you, and did you get money?
I had higher numbers, above 75th for LSAT and around 75th for GPA, and I got a full scholarship. Though, it seems like Temple can be pretty generous with money.
Aqualibrium wrote:I got into Temple with a pretty big scholarship last year; visited, and loved it. The people there really were great. It was very difficult for me to turn them down, but I just didn't want to work in Philly. I wasn't comfortable with the fact that my best bet at work would be Philly, and if I remember correctly, shortly after my visit a major Philly firm closed it's doors. I realized that with the economy in the state it was in, Penn students and t14 students who were from Philly would push harder than ever to get a job there...just didn't seem like a good situation.

That's the case pretty much everywhere though. If you are a Pennsylvania resident, and want to work in Philly, Temple is a very affordable option. The professors, students, and administration really are great. Just don't delude yourself about your job prospects. Know what you're getting into and you'll be fine.
Yeah, I specifically went to Temple because I want to work in Philly. I'm also not really considering big law firms, at least at the moment.

rickynwhyc

New

Post by rickynwhyc » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:20 pm

Any thoughts or comments or misc info you've picked up on Temple's Campus in Tokyo Japan?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cartercl

Bronze

Post by cartercl » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:21 pm

rickynwhyc wrote:Any thoughts or comments or misc info you've picked up on Temple's Campus in Tokyo Japan?
Interested in this as well.

duckz

New

Post by duckz » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:11 am

Know anyone in the night program and how they like it?

Cosmo Kramer

Bronze

Post by Cosmo Kramer » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:58 pm

cartercl wrote:
rickynwhyc wrote:Any thoughts or comments or misc info you've picked up on Temple's Campus in Tokyo Japan?
Interested in this as well.
1L here too. I know a kid who lived there before law school and apparently the campus is pretty sick. From what I've gathered it is one of the more legit law programs in Japan.

jjlaw

Bronze

Post by jjlaw » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:56 pm

Hi, thanks for answering questions. Since Temple is within city limits, will I really need a car? I went to school in NYC and never needed one. Is the subway system as convenient? What about grocery stores/restaurants near Temple? Is there a gym on campus?

What is the surrounding neighborhood like? Is it really sketchy? People often said Columbia was in a "sketchy" neighborhood, but it really wasn't with the gentrification and campus police presence.

If anyone hears updates about job prospects for this year's 2L/3L's, please update us! :)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

manbearwig

Bronze

Post by manbearwig » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:13 am

jjlaw wrote:Hi, thanks for answering questions. Since Temple is within city limits, will I really need a car? I went to school in NYC and never needed one. Is the subway system as convenient? What about grocery stores/restaurants near Temple? Is there a gym on campus?

What is the surrounding neighborhood like? Is it really sketchy? People often said Columbia was in a "sketchy" neighborhood, but it really wasn't with the gentrification and campus police presence.

If anyone hears updates about job prospects for this year's 2L/3L's, please update us! :)
You definitely don't need a car. My roommate has a car, and she's barely used it the entire semester. Basically, really not worth it. I live in center city, and I take the subway to campus every day. Even though there's only two lines in Philly (north/south and east/west), most places you want to live will be close to one of those lines. Also, basically anywhere you want to go in Philly, in general, will be near the subway lines. And if not, there's a pretty decent bus system. The subway stop for Temple is barely half a block away from the main law school building (and a block away from the other building).

There's a gym on campus. I've only been there a few times, but it seems pretty nice.

There's a pretty nice grocery store about a block away from campus, though that's about it. There's a pub/restaurant on campus, but that's about it. Otherwise, the next nicest "restaurants" you have are places like Qdoba and similar. Though, if you're just getting lunch, there's a ton of options from food trucks to the food places in the student building to Wawa. Just no fancy eating.

Temple's in a sketchy area. You really don't want to wander off campus, especially at night. Just involving Temple students this semester, we've gotten a few emails about muggings (on campus during the day), an armed burglary (off campus student housing at night) and a non-Temple person was shot and killed earlier this semester just a block or two off campus. Pretty sketch. That being said, I've never been on campus too late (around 5 or so), but I've always felt safe. Temple campus has a pretty big police force, and blue lights are everywhere. For the most part, the campus itself is always pretty safe, and you just have to use common sense. I would never live in the area, but I know a bunch of guys who do, and they haven't had any problems yet.

Cosmo Kramer

Bronze

Post by Cosmo Kramer » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:49 pm

jjlaw wrote:Hi, thanks for answering questions. Since Temple is within city limits, will I really need a car? I went to school in NYC and never needed one. Is the subway system as convenient? What about grocery stores/restaurants near Temple? Is there a gym on campus?

Job-wise, it seems like the top 10-15% are a lock for biglaw, while the top 1/3 will get a job from other firms at OCI. As for the rest I'm not sure, but there doesn't seem to be any panic or anything like that.

NJPharmD2011

New

Post by NJPharmD2011 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:11 pm

duckz wrote:Know anyone in the night program and how they like it?
I'm applying to the evening program and I'm wondering the same thing...

mt1042

New

Post by mt1042 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:52 pm

I know the thread has been quiet for awhile but I was just accepted at Temple and would like to get a feel for the campus and buildings. Is there a "virtual tour" anywhere or pictures online? Any feedback about the physical school itself from current students would be great too.

Thanks

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

arvcondor

Bronze

Post by arvcondor » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:24 am

To the two Temple students here: What are you specializing in and how do you find the curriculum?

thwalls

Bronze

Post by thwalls » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:52 am

NJPharmD2011 wrote:
duckz wrote:Know anyone in the night program and how they like it?
I'm applying to the evening program and I'm wondering the same thing...
I'm an evening student and I love the place. I live Northwest of the city and work downtown at 16th and Market. So I can take the train in the morning which takes about 15-20 minutes, then I take the Broad Street line up to Temple from work. Also, Temple has two train stations, which makes the commuting easier.

I haven't had a single problem [knock on wood] on campus. Usually the campus is packed with people most of the time so you're never alone. The class schedule can be kind of daunting in the beginning, and if you didn't have good study habits in college you're going to learn them once you start night school. This semester isn't as bad as the first semester, which was basically 6-9 Monday through Thursday. Although, this semester it's gotten a little lighter.

The law school also tries to balance their on-campus activities so night students can go to them. For example, they have lectures and meetings for the different clubs and societies between 5 and 6 pm. They really make an effort to let you know that they don't consider you second class citizens.

Also, not to hurt your feelings OP, we were told by the Dean last semester that the night students are her favorites since Temple Law was founded as a night school. I know you're going to cry yourself to sleep about that. :D

jjlaw

Bronze

Post by jjlaw » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:34 pm

Can any current Temple students or recent alumni PM me? I have some specific questions I'd like to ask in private. Thanks!

rs2004

Silver

Post by rs2004 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:42 pm

Temple offers grants to those who with demonstrated need and funds are applied directly to the recipient's tuition. The student must borrow at least $8,500 in a Stafford loan in order to be eligible for a TUG.

Have the current 1L students had any experience with TUG? Also the Temple law fin aid website said that scholarships and grants are awarded throughout the academic year. Is this common or something that is just awarded to a few but put on the website to comfort students facing a lot of loans?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”