UVA 1L taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
vamedic03

Re: UVA 1L taking questions

Postby vamedic03 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:03 pm

A Swift wrote:Thanks guys for starting this thread! I deferred so I'll be there next year, hopefully we will all be friends!!!!

Do you guys know if I have to go to class, or can I just be the only one in a 90 person class who hasn't shown up in weeks?

Really?!

uvauvauva

Postby uvauvauva » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:04 pm

vamedic03 wrote:
A Swift wrote:Thanks guys for starting this thread! I deferred so I'll be there next year, hopefully we will all be friends!!!!

Do you guys know if I have to go to class, or can I just be the only one in a 90 person class who hasn't shown up in weeks?

Really?!

i wish you were in one of my classes right now. Man, you would make the whole entire grading on a curve easy.

UW2UVA

Postby UW2UVA » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:05 pm

SOMEone will have to be at the bottom of the curve..

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:06 pm

UW2UVA wrote:

Not to mention that you're paying close to $1000 / hour of instruction.

jmaan

Postby jmaan » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:07 pm

UW2UVA wrote:

Aswift dont even bother coming here man u wouldnt make it

A Swift

Postby A Swift » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:07 pm

Sorry if it was a stupid question!!!!! So, we are not supposed to miss class? What about if we don't like our section? Is there anyway to switch?

(Hope that's a better question!!!)

uvauvauva

Postby uvauvauva » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:08 pm

A Swift wrote:Sorry if it was a stupid question!!!!! So, we are not supposed to miss class? What about if we don't like our section? Is there anyway to switch?

Improve your question.

jmaan

Postby jmaan » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:09 pm

A Swift wrote:Sorry if it was a stupid question!!!!! So, we are not supposed to miss class? What about if we don't like our section? Is there anyway to switch?

theres this guy in my section and everyone hates him, he should switch

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:46 pm

1) ABA rules requires 80% or greater attendance. Professors, even in 100 person classes, notice when people miss frequently. More to the point - avoid missing class if you want to do well. Absent a family emergency or a major illness, you should be in class. When you take a class, you are taking the professor's version of the class. It would be very, very difficult to do well without being in class. Every professor focuses on different aspects and has different takes on things. Plus, even if you somehow managed to do well, you're going to be hurting yourself - as good luck getting a recommendation from a professor whose class you chose to frequently skip.

2) If you don't like your section - suck it up. From a professor stand point - every section has a mix of rockstars and so-so professors. I think they purposely spread the wealth of quality between the sections. From a section-mate standpoint - cowboy up. Its unlikely that you will dislike all 30 people, and if that's the case, the problem is probably with you. Regardless, you will discover that in life, you often have to work with people you dislike. Its part of life.

Lieut Kaffee

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:59 pm

How prevalent is lawcest at UVA?

A Swift

Postby A Swift » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:03 pm

vamedic03 wrote:

1) ABA rules requires 80% or greater attendance. Professors, even in 100 person classes, notice when people miss frequently. More to the point - avoid missing class if you want to do well. Absent a family emergency or a major illness, you should be in class. When you take a class, you are taking the professor's version of the class. It would be very, very difficult to do well without being in class. Every professor focuses on different aspects and has different takes on things. Plus, even if you somehow managed to do well, you're going to be hurting yourself - as good luck getting a recommendation from a professor whose class you chose to frequently skip.

2) If you don't like your section - suck it up. From a professor stand point - every section has a mix of rockstars and so-so professors. I think they purposely spread the wealth of quality between the sections. From a section-mate standpoint - cowboy up. Its unlikely that you will dislike all 30 people, and if that's the case, the problem is probably with you. Regardless, you will discover that in life, you often have to work with people you dislike. Its part of life.

Damn. Law school seems hard!!!!!! I'm not really used to going to class, but I will try!!!!!!!

That sucks about the sections!! I wish I could switch if I wanted to. In summer camp, they made us into seperate groups, but we just got together and made our own unofficial "boys club". hehehe. Do they care if we do that?!

Postby 09042014 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:03 pm

How many CoEDs have you finger blasted on grounds?

jawsthegreat

Postby jawsthegreat » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:17 pm

This thread is quickly taking a turn toward the hilarious.

Postby 005618502 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:28 pm

A Swift wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:

Damn. Law school seems hard!!!!!! I'm not really used to going to class, but I will try!!!!!!!

That sucks about the sections!! I wish I could switch if I wanted to. In summer camp, they made us into seperate groups, but we just got together and made our own unofficial "boys club". hehehe. Do they care if we do that?!

I hope hes messing around, or hope hes in my section so everyone can pick on him, which will definitely happen no matter what section hes in

wackjickham

Postby wackjickham » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:31 pm

A Swift wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:

Oh. I get it now. Ha.

jawsthegreat

Postby jawsthegreat » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:34 pm

A Swift wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:

Very elaborate flame. Well done sir, well done.

Postby 005618502 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:38 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:
A Swift wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:

Yea very obvious, the post count in the hundreds made me wonder though. Usually post count <50

swinger

Postby swinger » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:39 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:
A Swift wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:

Very elaborate waste of time. Lets keep this to answering questions that people who are legitimately contemplating coming here ask.

jmaan

Postby jmaan » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:40 pm

this thread did nothing for me but show me that all my friends are TLS gunners

swinger

Postby swinger » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:40 pm

jmaan wrote:this thread did nothing for me but show me that all my friends are TLS gunners

in my defense jmaan, this is my first day on TLS.

A Swift

Postby A Swift » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:41 pm

damn. The last thing I wanna do is get Marked as a flamer in this thread!!!!!! hehehe Can't wait for UVA!!!!!!

uvauvauva

Postby uvauvauva » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:42 pm

jmaan wrote:

theres this guy in my section and everyone hates him, he should switch

Looks at the guy who didn't play the island game.

jawsthegreat

Postby jawsthegreat » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:44 pm

Wow, Swingers is so cool. He should probably grow a beard or something.
Last edited by jawsthegreat on Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jawsthegreat

Postby jawsthegreat » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:45 pm

jmaan wrote:this thread did nothing for me but show me that all my friends are TLS gunners

Is it ironic that we are the kids posting on TLS?

swinger

Postby swinger » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:46 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:Wow, Swingers is so cool. He should probably grow a beard or something. YSIH.

Trying to help prospective students definitely makes MSH. And you'll be happy to know that the trim looks phenomenal. Sent WackJickham a PM attachment with the update and they loved it.

NOPE.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”