UVA 1L taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
jmaan

Re: UVA 1L taking questions

Postby jmaan » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:06 am

swinger wrote:
flyingpanda wrote:Drunk league is absolutely awesome.

This place is absolutely awesome.

we get it

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:49 pm

THIS PLACE IS THE BEST.

--ImageRemoved--

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:01 pm

swinger wrote:
jawsthegreat wrote:
flyingpanda wrote:
Lieut Kaffee wrote:How prevalent is lawcest at UVA?

Very?

It occurs.

Depends on your game. Some people swear off it and just go for the undergrads/Darden grown ups. Some people actively pursue their classmates. I will say that law school (everywhere) is like high school in the sense that when you hook up with someone in the law school, EVERYONE will know very quickly and it will follow you around.

Rank the level of game needed for approaching undergrads, fellow law students, and Darden students.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:18 pm

BruceWayne wrote:Rank the level of game needed for approaching undergrads, fellow law students, and Darden students.

More than the amount you have if you need to ask.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:25 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:Rank the level of game needed for approaching undergrads, fellow law students, and Darden students.

Thank you; so does that Darden comes in at the most difficult?

swinger

Postby swinger » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:21 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:

Thank you; so does that Darden comes in at the most difficult?

I didnt mean your level of game. I meant the game you are playing... if you are playing the 'lawcest' game it can happen, if you want to play the 'undergrad' game it can happen too.

But:

Undergrads are easiest. Go to the bar. Wear UVA Law hat/shirt/koozie/whatever. Introduce yourself to one at the bar using your standard opening line. They will notice your gear and ask if you go to law school here. You will resist the urge to punch them in the face for asking dumb questions and say yes. They will say 'thats so funny i want to go to law school' or some variation of that statement. You will laugh on the inside but tell them its a great idea and that they should really study for the LSAT, you can help them if they need it. They are yours for the rest of the night.

Fellow law students are next. There are going to be some easy ones. Cmon, its new people mixing in a very alcohol heavy atmosphere (especially the first few weeks). You dont even need great game, just dont be weird. They will know who you are. Odds are you can make a move on several of them.

Darden girls are older than most law students. Older=more mature=want boy who is more mature=not me=not most law students. Good luck.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:17 pm

swinger wrote:I didnt mean your level of game. I meant the game you are playing... if you are playing the 'lawcest' game it can happen, if you want to play the 'undergrad' game it can happen too.

But:

Undergrads are easiest. Go to the bar. Wear UVA Law hat/shirt/koozie/whatever. Introduce yourself to one at the bar using your standard opening line. They will notice your gear and ask if you go to law school here. You will resist the urge to punch them in the face for asking dumb questions and say yes. They will say 'thats so funny i want to go to law school' or some variation of that statement. You will laugh on the inside but tell them its a great idea and that they should really study for the LSAT, you can help them if they need it. They are yours for the rest of the night.

Fellow law students are next. There are going to be some easy ones. Cmon, its new people mixing in a very alcohol heavy atmosphere (especially the first few weeks). You dont even need great game, just dont be weird. They will know who you are. Odds are you can make a move on several of them.

Darden girls are older than most law students. Older=more mature=want boy who is more mature=not me=not most law students. Good luck.

Oh wow guys I was just trying to be funny. I guess I better stick to this law thing and give up my dreams of stand up comedy :(

On another note, that part about the undergrads was one of the funniest things I've read in a while!

swinger

Postby swinger » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:21 am

BruceWayne wrote:
swinger wrote:I didnt mean your level of game. I meant the game you are playing... if you are playing the 'lawcest' game it can happen, if you want to play the 'undergrad' game it can happen too.

But:

Oh wow guys I was just trying to be funny. I guess I better stick to this law thing and give up my dreams of stand up comedy :(

On another note, that part about the undergrads was one of the funniest things I've read in a while!

Haha i couldnt tell if you were kidding (thats what studying for 24 of the last 48 hours for a contracts midterm will do to ya). Figured if you were serious you get some info, if you were joking you get a laugh.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:36 am

swinger wrote:Haha i couldnt tell if you were kidding (thats what studying for 24 of the last 48 hours for a contracts midterm will do to ya). Figured if you were serious you get some info, if you were joking you get a laugh.

Christ! I thought we were the "slacker" law school. Is it graded (as in counts towards your course grade)?

swinger

Postby swinger » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:41 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
swinger wrote:Haha i couldnt tell if you were kidding (thats what studying for 24 of the last 48 hours for a contracts midterm will do to ya). Figured if you were serious you get some info, if you were joking you get a laugh.

Christ! I thought we were the "slacker" law school. Is it graded (as in counts towards your course grade)?

Yes, this one does. Although, this is the only class (and i believe i am in the only section) with an exam that actually counts. 20%. nbd.

flyingpanda

Postby flyingpanda » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:51 pm

swinger wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:

Yes, this one does. Although, this is the only class (and i believe i am in the only section) with an exam that actually counts. 20%. nbd.

Naw, we got one too. Ours was a flex exam with a 2 hour time limit.

swinger

Postby swinger » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:28 pm

flyingpanda wrote:
swinger wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:

Naw, we got one too. Ours was a flex exam with a 2 hour time limit.

Flex exam? sounds like what me and Jaws do after our workouts. Gotta stay fit to be at UVA Law.

holeinone600

Postby holeinone600 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:54 pm

Kinda off topic, but I'm looking for law student housing info. Mind describing the best options, preferably near campus.

Also, at what point in the spring will the best housing options start filling up...trying to decide if I should make a trip up before ASD.

Thanks

flyingpanda

Postby flyingpanda » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:52 am

holeinone600 wrote:Kinda off topic, but I'm looking for law student housing info. Mind describing the best options, preferably near campus.

Also, at what point in the spring will the best housing options start filling up...trying to decide if I should make a trip up before ASD.

Thanks

If you want Jeffersonian, try to get one as soon as they open up. If you're doing Ivy or one of the others, you still got some time.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”