UVA 1L taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
flyingpanda
Posts: 824
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:32 am

UVA 1L taking questions

Postby flyingpanda » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:09 pm

Omg! I can make one of these!!!!


Fiiiire away :)

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18422
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: UVA 1L taking questions

Postby bk1 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:11 pm

How would you compare Charlottesville/VA to CA?

User avatar
flyingpanda
Posts: 824
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:32 am

Re: UVA 1L taking questions

Postby flyingpanda » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:16 pm

bk1 wrote:How would you compare Charlottesville/VA to CA?


Depends on which part of CA. Charlottesville is definitely a college town (albeit with some city amenities like Walmart and Sam's club). It's way different from the Bay Area and Los Angeles. It might be somewhat comparable to Davis.

The people at UVa are really friendly and on the whole pretty laid back. A large number of fratty people, but for the most part not douchey.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18422
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: UVA 1L taking questions

Postby bk1 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:22 pm

Is the law school separate from the undergrad campus or does it feel mixed in?

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: UVA 1L taking questions

Postby Kohinoor » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:23 pm

flyingpanda wrote:Omg! I can make one of these!!!!


Fiiiire away :)

Should tortfeasors only be liable for damages that could reasonably have been expected to result from their actions?

User avatar
flyingpanda
Posts: 824
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:32 am

Re: UVA 1L taking questions

Postby flyingpanda » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:24 pm

bk1 wrote:Is the law school separate from the undergrad campus or does it feel mixed in?


Extremely separate. The law school is its own place like 1.5 miles away from the main campus.

User avatar
flyingpanda
Posts: 824
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:32 am

Re: UVA 1L taking questions

Postby flyingpanda » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:25 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
flyingpanda wrote:Omg! I can make one of these!!!!


Fiiiire away :)

Should tortfeasors only be liable for damages that could reasonably have been expected to result from their actions?


No.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18422
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: UVA 1L taking questions

Postby bk1 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:25 pm

Also, aren't there a decent amount of TLS'ers at UVa?

Do they form a clique and/or interact a lot? What is that like?

User avatar
flyingpanda
Posts: 824
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:32 am

Re: UVA 1L taking questions

Postby flyingpanda » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:27 pm

bk1 wrote:Also, aren't there a decent amount of TLS'ers at UVa?

Do they form a clique and/or interact a lot? What is that like?


A lot of us know who each other are, but there is no overarching TLS clique. I don't bring up TLS unless someone else does, but a couple of the UVa people used their IRL names as their TLS names which is pretty funny.

There is a 1L softball team with a pretty large proportion of TLS'ers though.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: UVA 1L taking questions

Postby Grizz » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:28 pm

How many more polos and boat shoes do you now own?

User avatar
flyingpanda
Posts: 824
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:32 am

Re: UVA 1L taking questions

Postby flyingpanda » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:29 pm

rad law wrote:How many more polos and boat shoes do you now own?


I have a good number of polos, mixture of ralph lauren and lacoste. 0 pairs of boat shoes and no plans to buy any.

User avatar
Doritos
Posts: 1232
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:24 pm

Re: UVA 1L taking questions

Postby Doritos » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:47 pm

If I am a citizen of VA and I am being sued by a citizen from FL in a Virginia state court can I remove the case to federal court if I file within 30 days of receiving service of process?

Also, have you had any Chinese food since coming to Charlottesville? I need good recommendations

User avatar
BruceWayne
Posts: 2032
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:36 pm

Re: UVA 1L taking questions

Postby BruceWayne » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:56 pm

Image


Don't you think it's a bit early for us to be making one of these? We just got started on August 18th--not even a month ago. I always feel like people should wait until after spring of their 2L year to write these things; at least at that point you can provide really substantial information about 1L year, 1L summer opportunities, OGI, and even balancing 2L with the job hunt.

User avatar
flyingpanda
Posts: 824
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:32 am

Re: UVA 1L taking questions

Postby flyingpanda » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:59 pm

Doritos wrote:If I am a citizen of VA and I am being sued by a citizen from FL in a Virginia state court can I remove the case to federal court if I file within 30 days of receiving service of process?

Also, have you had any Chinese food since coming to Charlottesville? I need good recommendations


1. I'm going to say that it depends, because that's a safe answer

2. No, the only asian food I've had is Tara Thai. I want to try the dumpling place. Panda Garden, Ming's and that Dragon Lady place all kind of scare me.

User avatar
flyingpanda
Posts: 824
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:32 am

Re: UVA 1L taking questions

Postby flyingpanda » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:00 pm

BruceWayne wrote:

Don't you think it's a bit early for us to be making one of these? We just got started on August 18th--not even a month ago. I always feel like people should wait until after spring of their 2L year to write these things; at least at that point you can provide really substantial information about 1L year, 1L summer opportunities, OGI, and even balancing 2L with the job hunt.


No, last year's thread started on the 17th, so I'm continuing the trend.

User avatar
Steven Perry
Posts: 73
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:46 am

Re: UVA 1L taking questions

Postby Steven Perry » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:23 pm

flyingpanda wrote:
rad law wrote:How many more polos and boat shoes do you now own?


I have a good number of polos, mixture of ralph lauren and lacoste. 0 pairs of boat shoes and no plans to buy any.


Will I be beaten with a polo mallet for wearing American Eagle polos? (they're cheaper, and offer a better fit)

User avatar
flyingpanda
Posts: 824
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:32 am

Re: UVA 1L taking questions

Postby flyingpanda » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:25 pm

Steven Perry wrote:
flyingpanda wrote:
rad law wrote:How many more polos and boat shoes do you now own?


I have a good number of polos, mixture of ralph lauren and lacoste. 0 pairs of boat shoes and no plans to buy any.


Will I be beaten with a polo mallet for wearing American Eagle polos? (they're cheaper, and offer a better fit)


No one cares.

User avatar
bostonlawchick
Posts: 439
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:09 am

Re: UVA 1L taking questions

Postby bostonlawchick » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:16 pm

stalking you from the 2011 applicants thread...

Do you think I'm close to a lock with a 171/3.27 ED?

Can you speculate on employment opportunities for spouses in C'ville? My fiance will be a freshly minted graduate with no WE to speak of, other than stupid college jobs.

User avatar
flyingpanda
Posts: 824
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:32 am

Re: UVA 1L taking questions

Postby flyingpanda » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:09 pm

bostonlawchick wrote:stalking you from the 2011 applicants thread...

Do you think I'm close to a lock with a 171/3.27 ED?

Can you speculate on employment opportunities for spouses in C'ville? My fiance will be a freshly minted graduate with no WE to speak of, other than stupid college jobs.


1. Chances look good, but don't kill me if you don't get in.
2. Employment seems difficult to find for spouses, but definitely doable if you're willing to look hard. The economy is still crap though. He might need to settle for like a waiter job in the short term while he looks for a better job for the long term.

005618502
Posts: 2577
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 10:56 pm

Re: UVA 1L taking questions

Postby 005618502 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:24 pm

bostonlawchick wrote:stalking you from the 2011 applicants thread...

Do you think I'm close to a lock with a 171/3.27 ED?

Can you speculate on employment opportunities for spouses in C'ville? My fiance will be a freshly minted graduate with no WE to speak of, other than stupid college jobs.


My girlfriend will be coming with me as well (dating for 5 years, pretty serious), i have a feeling she is going to have a very hard time as she is in the fashion industry. There seem to be 0 buyer positions in C'ville or even richmond <-- which would be a crummy commute

User avatar
jawsthegreat
Posts: 792
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:51 pm

Re: UVA 1L taking questions

Postby jawsthegreat » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:29 pm

flyingpanda wrote:
bk1 wrote:Also, aren't there a decent amount of TLS'ers at UVa?

Do they form a clique and/or interact a lot? What is that like?


A lot of us know who each other are, but there is no overarching TLS clique. I don't bring up TLS unless someone else does, but a couple of the UVa people used their IRL names as their TLS names which is pretty funny.

There is a 1L softball team with a pretty large proportion of TLS'ers though.



Our 1L softball team, that before tonights showdown with the 2Ls is number 1 in the power rankings.

005618502
Posts: 2577
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 10:56 pm

Re: UVA 1L taking questions

Postby 005618502 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:31 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:
flyingpanda wrote:
bk1 wrote:Also, aren't there a decent amount of TLS'ers at UVa?

Do they form a clique and/or interact a lot? What is that like?


A lot of us know who each other are, but there is no overarching TLS clique. I don't bring up TLS unless someone else does, but a couple of the UVa people used their IRL names as their TLS names which is pretty funny.

There is a 1L softball team with a pretty large proportion of TLS'ers though.



Our 1L softball team, that before tonights showdown with the 2Ls is number 1 in the power rankings.


Im always playing at my UG, and it seems as though me and my friends (and others in the A league) are always hitting it out no problem. Is that the case there? or will my 2+ homeruns every game be seen as amazing? haha

User avatar
joemoviebuff
Posts: 788
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:51 am

Re: UVA 1L taking questions

Postby joemoviebuff » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:40 pm

Best/worst things about UVA for you?

So far, are you content with your decision to attend law school? (Only a month in, might be hard to gauge, but you must have some idea.)

User avatar
BruceWayne
Posts: 2032
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:36 pm

Re: UVA 1L taking questions

Postby BruceWayne » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:42 pm

joemoviebuff wrote:Best/worst things about UVA for you?

So far, are you content with your decision to attend law school? (Only a month in, might be hard to gauge, but you must have some idea.)


Best: laid back atmosphere

Worst: LRW

So far yes, but until I get a good job I won't be completely content..........

Also, at the risk of starting a war, I suggest asking for employment questions from 3L's only (at least for a few more months and in regards to 2L OGI as opposed to 1L summer jobs). I have gotten pretty different answers from 3L's than from 2L's when it comes to job search questions (particularly from the 2Ls who frequent TLS). In fact, in regards to some of the 2L job comments the 3L's have said "who the heck told you that?" So just be aware of this, as most of the UVA people who frequent TLS are 1L's or 2L's.
Last edited by BruceWayne on Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
flyingpanda
Posts: 824
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:32 am

Re: UVA 1L taking questions

Postby flyingpanda » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:44 pm

jt1341 wrote:
Im always playing at my UG, and it seems as though me and my friends (and others in the A league) are always hitting it out no problem. Is that the case there? or will my 2+ homeruns every game be seen as amazing? haha


That's definitely better than average, but there are plenty of people at UVa who can ball.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], maxroach88, zarzamora and 5 guests