Establishing CA residency for in-state tuition

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.

Establishing CA residency for in-state tuition

Postby JJDancer » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:22 pm

I understand that one must be instate for 366 prior to the filing deadline to change their residency to California. (Show intent to reside there by not leaving during breaks etc.)

But I'm iffy on the financial independence part. The rules state that this is something that is enough to determine financial independence
"the student is at least 24 years of age by December 31 of the calendar year for which resident classification is requested "

Let's assume I move to California and start living there in June 2011
Let's assume I attend a UC institution for the Sept 2011- June 2012 school year and pay out of state tuition.
By June 2012 I will be able to to do this: A continuing nonresident student who wishes to be classified as a California resident must file the petition by the deadline for the applicable term. The petition for the appropriate term is available online, during the month shown below for the applicable term. Fall Term -- June petition available.

I assume my parents (who are not CA residents) will be claiming me as dependent on their taxes during law school.

However I will be 24 by Dec 31 2012 (by June 2012). Does that mean I can claim residency for 2012-2013, and 2013-2014 school years?
Even though I may be dependent on non-CA residents?

Sorry if this is the wrong forum/annoyingly long and confusing post.

Thanks for any insight!

Re: Establishing CA residency for in-state tuition

Postby hijodehombre » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:36 pm

This is a really good question. Best advice is to contact the school. Personally, though, I would just ask my parents not to claim me. Qualifying as a California resident is a simple, painless process and definitely worth the several thousand dollar difference between in-state and out-of-state.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”