UConn 1L taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Burger in a can

Re: UConn 1L taking questions

Postby Burger in a can » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:49 pm

:D
Last edited by Burger in a can on Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

deadhipsters

Postby deadhipsters » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:50 am

I really enjoyed that comment relating to the Trinity frat boys. I read that at one point, Trinity's entering class was composed of 60 percent prep school students. So I do think Hartford probably gets a bad rep because of this. I mean, I'm sure Hartford looks terrible when compared to the likes of St. Pauls or Choate. And it seems like its impossible not to run into one of those freak shows when you live in the Northeast. So the myth continues...

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:47 am

:0
Last edited by Burger in a can on Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yepitsme

Postby yepitsme » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:40 pm

What is the social scene like? If I was to attend UCONN, I wouldn't know anybody even in the general area. Are their lots of events catered toward getting to know people in your classes? etc..

Thanks!

SamuelLChang

Postby SamuelLChang » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:46 pm

I respect Burger's defense of Hartford. Especially as a 1L.

When I was a 1L at UConn, people just trashed on Hartford to no end. Some of the wiser ones learned that they live in the center of an area that can really benefit from our presence in the community. The clinics, outreach programs like H.E.L.P, summer law programs at the Hartford academies, and countless other law school programs make a lot of people really proud to be at UConn Law in the Hartford community.

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:20 pm

:I

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:28 pm

I am not sure if this thread is still active, but I just applied to UConn it looks like an amazing school, but I am from the California, and want to live in California after graduation. Have you met any people from California at UConn? Does it place at all outside of New England?

Are there internship opportunities in Hartford during summer?

and is Connecticut Humid?(not a huge fan of humidity)

snapdragon

Postby snapdragon » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:08 pm

Bumping this thread....

1. Stop hating on Trin kids :P

2. Last year's UConn 1L thread seemed to be pretty grim about employment - only the top 20% had jobs, and the poster had no idea how UConn placed in VT / NH / ME / RI. I know you're a 1L, but can you offer any insight, even anecdotal, into UConn's placement in CT and the rest of New England?

For example, if I want to work in New England but not necessarily CT, would I be better served going to UConn or Vermont Law / Franklin Pierce / UMaine? Does UConn outplace 3rd tier schools in their home state?

Thanks much! Not expecting to hear back from UConn for a while, but I'm really wondering about government or small firm jobs in VT / NH / ME.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:43 pm

*tagged :)

PotatoMonkey

Postby PotatoMonkey » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:17 am

jarofsoup wrote:I am not sure if this thread is still active, but I just applied to UConn it looks like an amazing school, but I am from the California, and want to live in California after graduation. Have you met any people from California at UConn? Does it place at all outside of New England?

I live 'round the Hartford area- you'll always have your humid streaks during the summer, but for the majority of the year (probably from early September to late May/mid June depending on the year) the weather is relatively dry.

ran12

Postby ran12 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:44 pm

What's the area around UConn like. I visited Hartford during my college search to look at Trinity and I decided not to go there b/c Hartford is so run down looking. I know UConn is near West Hartford and is supposed to be better but what exactly do people do outside of the campus.

iceicebaby

Postby iceicebaby » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:07 pm

Hey ... not sure if this message board died or not, but I just wanted to see if you could answer me this... does UConn law value work experience, especially as a paralegal at law firms such as Curtis, Mallet-Prevost, Colt & Mosle LLP or Shipman & Goodwin LLP, in its assessment of candidates?

The obvious logical answer seems to be that it should make a difference seeing as many 1L's have little-to-no work experience and UConn seems to pride itself on the diversity of its students. However, I have been told that many schools don't care too much if you don't have the correct stats. As of now, I scored MUCH lower on the LSAT than my practice exams (and will be taking it again because a 157 simply won't cut it anywhere) and have a 3.10 UGPA from a solid school (F&M), but my strong suit is my work experience, resume and contacts within the local CT and NY legal field. Someone even suggested that I abandon law altogether since my resume would be more coveted by business schools... but I am much more inclined to go to law school given the substance of my work experience and my desire to be a lawyer.

I'm hoping you can provide me with greater hope because I have always prided myself on being a practical person as opposed to being a statistics whore that can't relate to the actual practice of law as opposed to the pure academics of it. Obviously, it helps to be both ... but I can only retake my LSAT and do better at this point.

BrittaBot

Postby BrittaBot » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:49 am

Last edited by BrittaBot on Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Heartford

Postby Heartford » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:08 pm

BrittaBot wrote:Hey, thanks for answering questions. I am 100% for sure going to UCONN next year. I have a question about housing. I know the school doesn't have any sort of housing, so from your experience, what do most people do/where do they live?

I'm coming straight out of undergrad…my parents live in CT, but I REALLY do not want to live at home. My significant other and I are looking to finally get something of our own. Do you know any classmates in a similar situation and what they have done about housing?

The school does not offer housing, but there is some kind of apartment list available towards the end of the summer before your first year. People live all over the state- some live across the street from campus, others live an hour or more away and commute.

snapdragon

Postby snapdragon » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:09 pm

Can you speak at all about job prospects? The other person posting in this thread painted a sort of grim picture.

Heartford

Postby Heartford » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:17 am

snapdragon wrote:Can you speak at all about job prospects? The other person posting in this thread painted a sort of grim picture.

I actually can't, because I have no idea. All I know is that the prospect of paid summer employment is very, very slim. As far as the job market in general, my impression is that it's no different here than anywhere else. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

lallygag

Postby lallygag » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:54 pm

hey all-

I'm currently a 1L at UConn. I'll try to answer some questions to the best of my knowledge. The only thing I'm not comfortable talking about is job prospects. Mostly because I'm not sure what the deal is and it seems that the 1Ls are just focused on summer gigs at this point anyway.

lallygag

Postby lallygag » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:01 pm

yepitsme wrote:What is the social scene like? If I was to attend UCONN, I wouldn't know anybody even in the general area. Are their lots of events catered toward getting to know people in your classes? etc..

Thanks!

People go out. I didn't last semester because I was lame. But there are people who do go out and there are a good number of bars to go to. I think a good amount of people in my class didn't know each other before coming to school. Orientation was the best opportunity to meet friends - the people I hang out with now are the people I met during orientation. It's about putting yourself out there really. I wouldn't say there are a lot of events catered to getting to know people - the huge push was orientation. Other than that there are student group meetings, and the SBA (student government) threw a semi-formal and Halloween party last year and those were fun. So there are some events.

lallygag

Postby lallygag » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:06 pm

jarofsoup wrote:I am not sure if this thread is still active, but I just applied to UConn it looks like an amazing school, but I am from the California, and want to live in California after graduation. Have you met any people from California at UConn? Does it place at all outside of New England?

I have met people from California, Washington, and Idaho actually. It's rare, but there are some. Honestly, the best people to talk to about placing outside out of NE is career services. I remember at the incoming students meeting a career services rep said that they try to work with you to get you where you want to be. The reason they focus on NE is because that's what people want and request.

There are internship opportunities in Hartford for the summer. I'll be here myself.

CT gets humid in the summer. It's nothing unbearable, but it happens. Mostly in July/August.

lallygag

Postby lallygag » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:16 pm

snapdragon wrote:Bumping this thread....

1. Stop hating on Trin kids :P

2. Last year's UConn 1L thread seemed to be pretty grim about employment - only the top 20% had jobs, and the poster had no idea how UConn placed in VT / NH / ME / RI. I know you're a 1L, but can you offer any insight, even anecdotal, into UConn's placement in CT and the rest of New England?

For example, if I want to work in New England but not necessarily CT, would I be better served going to UConn or Vermont Law / Franklin Pierce / UMaine? Does UConn outplace 3rd tier schools in their home state?

Thanks much! Not expecting to hear back from UConn for a while, but I'm really wondering about government or small firm jobs in VT / NH / ME.

Sorry I can't speak much as to placement in the rest of New England. I know that UConn grads do get jobs out of CT. From what I've noticed UConn places really well in CT (duh). A factor in that seems to be the Alumni connection. There are so many UConn law grads working throughout CT and they of course try to help students from their alma matter. Maybe the same could be said for FP, VT, or UMaine? I'm not sure. Practicing attorneys that I have talked to say that a Uconn law degree is respected outside of CT and travels far.

Here is a snippet from the Class of 2009 Graduate Report from career services.

SELECTED STATE DISTRIBUTION :Our graduates accepted positions in 15 different states, the District of Columbia and 2 foreign nations.

The most popular locations this year were:
Connecticut.......................................................59.8%
New York .........................................................11.7%
Massachusetts...................................................11.2%
DC Metro Area...................................................6.7%
New Jersey .......................................................2.2%
Maine................................................................1.1%
Rhode Island.......................................................1.1%

lallygag

Postby lallygag » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:25 pm

ran12 wrote:What's the area around UConn like. I visited Hartford during my college search to look at Trinity and I decided not to go there b/c Hartford is so run down looking. I know UConn is near West Hartford and is supposed to be better but what exactly do people do outside of the campus.

The immediate area around UConn is residential (lots of 3-family houses), but you go over to the main cross street (Farmington Ave) and it's busy and no longer so residential. The "campus" itself is pretty and it's own little bubble. I will admit that Hartford is run down, it saddens me. West Hartford is nicer. I say that because WH Center has shops, bars, and restaurants and all in a relatively close area and you can actually walk around and do things! Another similar area near the Center is Blue Back Square which is neat - movie theater, restaurants, shops.

lallygag

Postby lallygag » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:34 pm

iceicebaby wrote:Hey ... not sure if this message board died or not, but I just wanted to see if you could answer me this... does UConn law value work experience, especially as a paralegal at law firms such as Curtis, Mallet-Prevost, Colt & Mosle LLP or Shipman & Goodwin LLP, in its assessment of candidates?

The obvious logical answer seems to be that it should make a difference seeing as many 1L's have little-to-no work experience and UConn seems to pride itself on the diversity of its students. However, I have been told that many schools don't care too much if you don't have the correct stats. As of now, I scored MUCH lower on the LSAT than my practice exams (and will be taking it again because a 157 simply won't cut it anywhere) and have a 3.10 UGPA from a solid school (F&M), but my strong suit is my work experience, resume and contacts within the local CT and NY legal field. Someone even suggested that I abandon law altogether since my resume would be more coveted by business schools... but I am much more inclined to go to law school given the substance of my work experience and my desire to be a lawyer.

I'm hoping you can provide me with greater hope because I have always prided myself on being a practical person as opposed to being a statistics whore that can't relate to the actual practice of law as opposed to the pure academics of it. Obviously, it helps to be both ... but I can only retake my LSAT and do better at this point.

IMHO, it seems to me that UConn does value work experience and diversity of its student body. My class has ex-military guys, people that just graduated, people that have been in the work force for 3+ years, people with Masters degrees, MBA's, you name it. I, myself, came in with 2 years as a paralegal and I didn't have an awesome LSAT score. That along with my GPA and other things prob helped my app. If being a lawyer is your desire, don't give up on it just because you have so much experience. That can be a good thing. There are older people with lots of experience in my class and to be honest, it seems employers these days value experience (just like B schools). Retake the LSAT. That way you'll have at least one good stat and then they'll consider you as a whole. Good luck!

lallygag

Postby lallygag » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:40 pm

BrittaBot wrote:Hey, thanks for answering questions. I am 100% for sure going to UCONN next year. I have a question about housing. I know the school doesn't have any sort of housing, so from your experience, what do most people do/where do they live?

I'm coming straight out of undergrad…my parents live in CT, but I REALLY do not want to live at home. My significant other and I are looking to finally get something of our own. Do you know any classmates in a similar situation and what they have done about housing?

Like another poster mentioned, at the end of the spring you get on a "looking for roomates" list and you'll have access to it and you email people to see if they want to room with you. I know people that went though that - I also know people that weren't aware of that list so they went the Craigslist route, or the 1 BR apartment route.

There is also a housing list managed by UConn that you get access to in the late spring - landlords/realtors post apt listings on it (no pictures though). That's how I found my place. I'm lucky that my SO moved in with me and we have a nice 2 BR in a 3-family house not far from school at all. I also looked through Craigslist and that worked well too.

BrittaBot

Postby BrittaBot » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:09 am

Last edited by BrittaBot on Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Heartford

Postby Heartford » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:50 pm

BrittaBot wrote:Can any of you lucky UCONN students tell me when we get our username/email info and all that good stuff? I've decided to attend, so I recently sent in my first seat deposit. Waiting until a bit more money frees up to send the second one. Do we not get anything else until the 2nd seat deposit is in? Just curious because I'm pretty excited and antsy to get my hands on any new things UCONN sends me! :D

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I don't think you get any access to the email system or any goodies until orientation. I might be remembering that wrong- if so, other students please correct me.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”