UConn 1L taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Burger in a can

UConn 1L taking questions

Postby Burger in a can » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:28 am

Only been here for about 2 weeks, but there seemed to be a real lack of UConn students on here when I was applying, so I'd be happy try to answer any questions. :)

kalvano

Re: UConn 1L taking questions

Postby kalvano » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:30 pm

How is the atmosphere? When I visited, it seemed a little blah...like everyone was kind of depressed and / or apathetic.

How is that bearing out in actuality?

SamuelLChang

Postby SamuelLChang » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:52 pm

kalvano wrote:everyone was kind of depressed and / or apathetic

Chalk this one up to the New England mindset. On a nice sunny day with a cool breeze, everyone at UConn Law is happy.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:59 pm

SamuelLChang wrote:

Chalk this one up to the New England mindset. On a nice sunny day with a cool breeze, everyone at UConn Law is happy.

I'm familiar with the New England mindset. It wasn't that. It was just a not-so-good feeling about the school.

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:27 pm

kalvano wrote:
SamuelLChang wrote:

I'm familiar with the New England mindset. It wasn't that. It was just a not-so-good feeling about the school.

Yeah I remember you saying that about your visit, and I haven't picked up on it at all. In my opinion the atmosphere feels productive and busy, but definitely not depressed or apathetic. Upperclassmen seem really engaged in their work, but really friendly and helpful.
I wouldn't say that it feels like a party-hardy campus at all though. Prospective students looking for an undergraduate atmosphere would be highly disappointed.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:57 pm

That's cool. Glad it was just me.

deadhipsters

Postby deadhipsters » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:18 pm

Thanks for taking questions Burger.

I realize you just started two weeks ago, but I was wondering if you had gotten any sense of what the employment outlook looks like for Uconn grads (through speaking with 2L’s. professors, whatever). Also, how do you like living in Hartford so far?
I am on the fence about the area, but it seems livable. How are you finding it?

jaydizzle

Postby jaydizzle » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:40 pm

Do you know anything about stats for applicants? LSN and LSP don't seem too useful. With a 3.9+, what would someone need to get in PT and FT?

StrictlyLiable

Postby StrictlyLiable » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:51 pm

jaydizzle wrote:Do you know anything about stats for applicants? LSN and LSP don't seem too useful. With a 3.9+, what would someone need to get in PT and FT?

I think with a 159+ you would have a good shot.

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:10 pm

deadhipsters wrote:Thanks for taking questions Burger.

I realize you just started two weeks ago, but I was wondering if you had gotten any sense of what the employment outlook looks like for Uconn grads (through speaking with 2L’s. professors, whatever). Also, how do you like living in Hartford so far?

I can't really answer any questions about employment directly, at least with any more certainty than the common speculation you find on TLS, because I just don't know. I noticed some upperclassmen in suits waiting for interviews today, and they all seemed to be in pretty bright spirits. That being said, I don't get the impression that UConn students as a whole are really a "biglaw or bust" kind of community. Everyone seems pretty aware of the reality that it is a very regional school, and that there aren't great jobs out there for everyone.

I love Hartford. I live pretty close to campus, and I find the neighborhood to be really lovely. UConn Law is officially in Hartford, but it's much closer to West Hartford than downtown. (btw it's the north part of the city that you should probably avoid...) There are some areas nearby that aren't great, but I've found it to be a perfectly pleasant place to live. Surprisingly pleasant, in fact. I would say "it seems livable" is a serious understatement.
Last edited by Burger in a can on Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:20 pm

jaydizzle wrote:Do you know anything about stats for applicants? LSN and LSP don't seem too useful. With a 3.9+, what would someone need to get in PT and FT?

I can only really answer as to my own situation- I was a 165/3.4 and I think that was on the higher end of the medium range, but certainly not the highest! It seems like a 160 or higher gives you a pretty good shot to get in.

It's my understanding that the medians for the evening program (PT) are a little lower, but as a day (FT) student I can't say for sure.
Last edited by Burger in a can on Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:20 pm

StrictlyLiable wrote:

I think with a 159+ you would have a good shot.

+1. :)

deadhipsters

Postby deadhipsters » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:10 pm

Burger in a can wrote:

I can't really answer any questions about employment directly, at least with any more certainty than the common speculation you find on TLS, because I just don't know. I noticed some upperclassmen in suits waiting for interviews today, and they all seemed to be in pretty bright spirits. That being said, I don't get the impression that UConn students as a whole are really a "biglaw or bust" kind of community. Everyone seems pretty aware of the reality that it is a very regional school, and that there aren't great jobs out there for everyone.

I love Hartford. I live pretty close to campus, and I find the neighborhood to be really lovely. UConn Law is officially in Hartford, but it's much closer to West Hartford than downtown. (btw it's the north part of the city that you should probably avoid...) There are some areas nearby that aren't great, but I've found it to be a perfectly pleasant place to live. Surprisingly pleasant, in fact. I would say "it seems livable" is a serious understatement.

Thanks Burger
I'm not looking for biglaw at all. Just a school that I can get out of with minimal debt, a good education, and a job in prosecution. I think Uconn is creeping to the top of the list. One last question, if you dont mind: Did you find that the school was generous with scholarship money and are they still offering instate residency to students after their first year? I had heard some schools were cutting this policy due to the poor economy.

deadhipsters

Postby deadhipsters » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:11 pm

Also, we are number twins 165/3.5

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:28 pm

deadhipsters wrote:
Burger in a can wrote:

Thanks Burger
I'm not looking for biglaw at all. Just a school that I can get out of with minimal debt, a good education, and a job in prosecution. I think Uconn is creeping to the top of the list. One last question, if you dont mind: Did you find that the school was generous with scholarship money and are they still offering instate residency to students after their first year? I had heard some schools were cutting this policy due to the poor economy.

UConn is weird about scholarships. The first thing everyone should know: they don't offer renewable scholarships, meaning all offers are for the first year only. This can end up making this cheap state school significantly less cheap than some of your other offers. I got a really great scholarship from UConn (PM me if you want specifics) but I still had trouble deciding because other schools that were more expensive, tuition-wise, might actually have been cheaper because of their renewable schollies.

The second weird thing about UConn scholarships: there doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason to them, at least based upon numbers. Another TLSer (you know who you are) with very similar numbers was given a shitty offer compared to mine, and there didn't seem to be a good reason. Some of my fellow students came in with numbers much better than mine, but were offered worse scholarships. I don't know whether this general weirdness is true at other schools.

As far as I know, UConn still offers instate tuition after 12 months of residency, and this policy is University-wide, and isn't likely to change one way or the other. I could be wrong about that too- that's definitely something you could email Karen DeMeola about. She's really nice and very helpful, and you shouldn't be afraid to ask questions.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:48 pm

I can speak to out of state scholarships - 3.2 / 164, and I was offered a scholarship equivalent to in-state tuition for the first year only. After that, it was just in-state tuition. I think all total it equaled out around $59K for all 3 years, not including COL.

deadhipsters

Postby deadhipsters » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:52 am

Hm. That's interesting and kind of disappointing about the non-renewable scholarships. Thanks guys.

snapdragon

Postby snapdragon » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:54 am

Were you in state or out of state?

I don't have any more specific questions but as an in-state applicant, UConn is up there. I did my undergrad in Hartford though (and not West Hartford, regular type Hartford) so part of me would like some variety, but it's still a really attractive program!

As you get a better handle on things, I'd be interested to know what a lot of the 3L class is doing next year. I like the not big law or bust, but where are they finding employment? Jobs they had previously? Government work in CT, public interest work in CT?

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:14 pm

snapdragon wrote:Were you in state or out of state?

I don't have any more specific questions but as an in-state applicant, UConn is up there. I did my undergrad in Hartford though (and not West Hartford, regular type Hartford) so part of me would like some variety, but it's still a really attractive program!

As you get a better handle on things, I'd be interested to know what a lot of the 3L class is doing next year. I like the not big law or bust, but where are they finding employment? Jobs they had previously? Government work in CT, public interest work in CT?

I was already a Connecticut resident.

My impression is that students are attempting to get jobs at all kinds of places in ct, including lots of midsized firms doing corporate work. I didn't mean to give the impression that this is a public interest focused school, although there are certainly a lot of students seeking that career path. When I said it isn't biglaw or bust, what I meant was that CT doesn't have a "biglaw" market, really, and very few uconn grads can get NYC or Boston biglaw jobs. Whether this reality just happens to attract fewer students with those aspirations or it steers most students' aspirations away from so-called biglaw, I don't know.

I also don't know how to answer your question, even if I knew every 3L and surveyed their plans, because no law school really places their students in one particular area of law. If you want a halfway decent shot at government work, product liability, criminal defense, toxic torts, family law, bird law, or really any other kind of law in the great state of Connecticut that will likely pay you less than $160k/year, UConn is probably a good option to have. I don't mean to sound rude about it, but I'm not sure that even a 3L could answer as to what "a lot" of their class is doing next year, you know?

But hey, if upperclassmen are reading and have something to say, I'm certainly interested to hear about it too!

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:47 am

If anyone has any more questions, feel free to ask them here even if this thread gets old. I'll still be checking on it pretty regularly. :D

nj05nets

Postby nj05nets » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:10 pm

1.) I am considering attending uconn but it will probably (assuming no scholly or grants) put me in about 130k worth of debt (including UG). I want to live in CT. Would I be crazy to go take on that kind of debt for a uconn jd?

2.) would i be the only one at uconn taking on that much debt? i guess what i mean is do you get the sense that most students chose uconn because they got a good deal. or are there a lot students that chose uconn because it is the best school they got into and were willing to pay for it

3.) do you know anyone in the evening program, and if so were their scholarship/grants limited because they were attending part time?

Thanks in advance.

savagecheater

Postby savagecheater » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:22 pm

Burger in a can wrote:

You 'love' Hartford? This must be flame.

edit: snapdragon, UHart or Trinity?

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:57 pm

savagecheater wrote:

Yeah, I love it. Believe it or not, throughout the course of your life you will encounter other people who have opinions differing from your own. These people won't be lying about their feelings-they will be approaching a situation from a different perspective. When this occurs, you may be tempted to mock them for their seemingly incorrect position on the subject, instead of considering the radical notion that the rest of the world doesn't actually conform to your specific set of preferences. When you learn to resist this temptation you should congratulate yourself for finally having entered the beginning stages of adulthood. HTH.

savagecheater

Postby savagecheater » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:55 pm

Burger in a can wrote:
savagecheater wrote:

Yeah, I love it. Believe it or not, throughout the course of your life you will encounter other people who have opinions differing from your own. These people won't be lying about their feelings-they will be approaching a situation from a different perspective. When this occurs, you may be tempted to mock them for their seemingly incorrect position on the subject, instead of considering the radical notion that the rest of the world doesn't actually conform to your specific set of preferences. When you learn to resist this temptation you should congratulate yourself for finally having entered the beginning stages of adulthood. HTH.

Well, when your car window gets smashed in, chime back in with how much you love Hartford.

'Cause uh, right now, you sound a little mad.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:04 pm

I liked Hartford a lot as well. It's a very cool city, and I enjoyed the time I spent there. Shockingly, larger cities tend to have both good and bad areas.

So there's that.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”