G.W. 1L Ready to take questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
androstan
Posts: 2553
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:07 am

Re: G.W. 1L Ready to take questions

Postby androstan » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:49 pm

I'm excited to, I was accepted PT 1/6. Hoping to hedge my engr undergrad/science master's and GW's IP program/reputation. A little worried about placing directly behind GULC with its huge graduating class. Also concerned about finding something legal in the area since I'm PT, haven't heard from the PTO yet.

User avatar
Gotti
Posts: 3436
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:46 pm

Re: G.W. 1L Ready to take questions

Postby Gotti » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:37 pm

NZA wrote:Congrats Krad and Gotti. :)

Thanks NZA!

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: G.W. 1L Ready to take questions

Postby fatduck » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:56 pm

it would be really awesome if someone posted some pics of their Aston room :D

User avatar
Teoeo
Posts: 801
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:21 am

Re: G.W. 1L Ready to take questions

Postby Teoeo » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:00 pm

fatduck wrote:it would be really awesome if someone posted some pics of their Aston room :D


I can do you one better: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGDddaIL ... tube_gdata

This is what I video taped at the beginning of the year with my IPHONE. ^_^

edit: before I had like anything in the place.

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: G.W. 1L Ready to take questions

Postby fatduck » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:01 pm

Teoeo wrote:
fatduck wrote:it would be really awesome if someone posted some pics of their Aston room :D


I can do you one better: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGDddaIL ... tube_gdata

This is what I video taped at the beginning of the year with my IPHONE. ^_^

edit: before I had like anything in the place.


that's like 10 better

thanks!

User avatar
NZA
Posts: 1285
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:01 pm

Re: G.W. 1L Ready to take questions

Postby NZA » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:02 pm

Teoeo wrote:
fatduck wrote:it would be really awesome if someone posted some pics of their Aston room :D


I can do you one better: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGDddaIL ... tube_gdata

This is what I video taped at the beginning of the year with my IPHONE. ^_^

edit: before I had like anything in the place.


Wow, thanks for that, man.

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: G.W. 1L Ready to take questions

Postby fatduck » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:03 pm

my current apartment has enough furniture to fill about 4 of those rooms...haha

probably true of anything in D.C. though.

User avatar
ODBCP
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:35 pm

Re: G.W. 1L Ready to take questions

Postby ODBCP » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:23 pm

Teoeo wrote:
fatduck wrote:it would be really awesome if someone posted some pics of their Aston room :D


I can do you one better: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGDddaIL ... tube_gdata

This is what I video taped at the beginning of the year with my IPHONE. ^_^

edit: before I had like anything in the place.



Teoeo I can't pronounce your name but you're the coolest. Thanks for all the help.

I feel like the Aston would be super convenient but it's pretty expensive... like ~8k a semester?

PS anyone watching the X-Games Big Air?!?! Torstein Horgmo is an animal!

User avatar
Gemini
Posts: 1943
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:23 pm

Re: G.W. 1L Ready to take questions

Postby Gemini » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:26 pm

Teoeo wrote:
fatduck wrote:it would be really awesome if someone posted some pics of their Aston room :D


I can do you one better: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGDddaIL ... tube_gdata

This is what I video taped at the beginning of the year with my IPHONE. ^_^

edit: before I had like anything in the place.


Thanks so much, this is so awesome!!!! <3

User avatar
androstan
Posts: 2553
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:07 am

Re: G.W. 1L Ready to take questions

Postby androstan » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:48 pm

ITT: Make me (+others) feel more secure and happier about going to GW ITE.

User avatar
Teoeo
Posts: 801
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:21 am

Re: G.W. 1L Ready to take questions

Postby Teoeo » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:50 pm

androstan wrote:ITT: Make me (+others) feel more secure and happier about going to GW ITE.


100 percent of students make over 500k a year starting salary.

User avatar
androstan
Posts: 2553
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:07 am

Re: G.W. 1L Ready to take questions

Postby androstan » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:57 pm

Teoeo wrote:
androstan wrote:ITT: Make me (+others) feel more secure and happier about going to GW ITE.


100 percent of students make over 500k a year starting salary.


Oh, thank God. I'm doing everything right, it's going to be okay.

User avatar
annacf
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:27 pm

Re: G.W. 1L Ready to take questions

Postby annacf » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:26 am

Tagging this.

I was severely lucky and got in ED so I'm definitely going and I've lived in DC for 6.5 years now so if anyone has any questions about the city or living here off-campus, I can try to help!

User avatar
haus
Posts: 2820
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:07 am

Re: G.W. 1L Ready to take questions

Postby haus » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:36 am

@androstan (or others who may be familiar),

What is the class schedule (days of weeks and hours) for 1L in the PT program at GW?

Thanks,

User avatar
Tinkerz Belle
Posts: 30
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:30 pm

Re: G.W. 1L Ready to take questions

Postby Tinkerz Belle » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:13 pm

I'm chiming in on this as I've been admitted and I am leaning heavily towards GW (barring a few reach T14 decisions).

Can anyone speak on the entertainment industry in DC? I've been working in copyright for an entertainment company for 3 years and I plan to stay on this track through IP law. Obviously NY has a larger market for entertainment, but I've been in NY for several years and wouldn't mind a change of scenery. I know that entertainment prospects are mostly based on connections, so I'm wondering if DC would give me the opportunity to make these necessary connections while in school...Would this be a silly choice for me over Fordham given my industry preference?

User avatar
androstan
Posts: 2553
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:07 am

Re: G.W. 1L Ready to take questions

Postby androstan » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:30 pm

haus wrote:@androstan (or others who may be familiar),

What is the class schedule (days of weeks and hours) for 1L in the PT program at GW?

Thanks,


The Records Office automatically registers you for evening Section 21 with the following schedule:

Contracts I, Professor Swaine, M/Tu, 6-8pm, 3 credits (meets every Monday and alternate Tuesdays);
Civil Procedure I, Professor Marshall, Tu/Th, 6-8pm, 3 credits (meets every Thursday and alternate Tuesdays);
Torts I, Professor Turley, W, 6-8pm, 2 credits; and
Legal Research & Writing, 12 students, 2 credits, (schedule/professor/dean’s fellow announced at orientation).


http://www.law.gwu.edu/Students/orientation/Pages/First-year,Part-timeEveningStudents.aspx

User avatar
haus
Posts: 2820
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:07 am

Re: G.W. 1L Ready to take questions

Postby haus » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:06 pm

Tinkerz Belle wrote:I'm chiming in on this as I've been admitted and I am leaning heavily towards GW (barring a few reach T14 decisions).

Can anyone speak on the entertainment industry in DC? I've been working in copyright for an entertainment company for 3 years and I plan to stay on this track through IP law. Obviously NY has a larger market for entertainment, but I've been in NY for several years and wouldn't mind a change of scenery. I know that entertainment prospects are mostly based on connections, so I'm wondering if DC would give me the opportunity to make these necessary connections while in school...Would this be a silly choice for me over Fordham given my industry preference?


Although it may not be what first jumps out at you, the RIAA and MPAA both have significant offices in DC (MPAA is just a few blocks from the GW campus). Also EFF has an office in the DC area and has been known to engage in legal action with entertainment companies.

User avatar
bender18
Posts: 211
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:53 pm

Re: G.W. 1L Ready to take questions

Postby bender18 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:41 pm

Good info on this thread (tag)

dissonance1848
Posts: 706
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:42 pm

Re: G.W. 1L Ready to take questions

Postby dissonance1848 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:48 pm

How big of a disadvantage is GW at compared to GU and other T-14 schools for biglaw and government positions? I've heard that DC government is basically the Yale/Harvard club.

blackdragons
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:22 pm

Re: G.W. 1L Ready to take questions

Postby blackdragons » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:56 pm

Hi, first of all, congrads for those who received the admission. I was wondering how's transfer students doing on GW. (i.e; job, life, etc) I currently in a T2 school and looking for transfer after the 1L. is there any 2L or 3L from GW can answer my question? or OP, is there anything you heard from the upper-division regarding that topic?

mitz1489
Posts: 42
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 5:58 pm

Re: G.W. 1L Ready to take questions

Postby mitz1489 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:32 pm

So Im currently deciding between GW and Vandy..any thoughts about why I would choose GW?

Also, whats the life like in DC? and the student atmosphere at GW? Is it welcoming and friendly or does it seem rather competitive? I'd prefer not to be in a very competitive, cut throat environment and have gotten that kind of vibe from GW...true? false?

User avatar
Teoeo
Posts: 801
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:21 am

Re: G.W. 1L Ready to take questions

Postby Teoeo » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:38 pm

mitz1489 wrote:So Im currently deciding between GW and Vandy..any thoughts about why I would choose GW?

Also, whats the life like in DC? and the student atmosphere at GW? Is it welcoming and friendly or does it seem rather competitive? I'd prefer not to be in a very competitive, cut throat environment and have gotten that kind of vibe from GW...true? false?


GW has a very nice environment, def. not cutthroat. Having said that, unless GW offered you some money, I would choose Vandy unless you have some really specific goals that only a school in DC can fulfill.

User avatar
Paichka
Posts: 287
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:17 am

Re: G.W. 1L Ready to take questions

Postby Paichka » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:42 pm

Well, Vandy is higher ranked and it's in Nashville, which is awesome. It has some significant bonuses over GW -- most specifically, a less crowded local market (DC is a beast).

I had a similar choice, and I chose GW for personal reasons -- I needed to be near my family while my husband was deployed for childcare purposes. I don't regret it at all -- GW is a great school. I'm not sure how you've gotten the impression that it's cutthroat...that is completely out of sync with my experience so far (2L). Students are incredibly helpful -- even the obnoxious gunners. :) The faculty are fantastic (particularly the 1L professors) and many are giants in their field (Saltzburg for Evidence and Criminal Law/Procedure, Raven-Hansen for National Security Law, Barron & Dienes for Con Law, Cahn for Family Law, Turley for Torts, etc). The location can't be beat -- Foggy Bottom is a FUN section of DC, and going to law school in DC is an incredible opportunity -- we have the Supremes, the Federal Court of Appeals for the DC Circuit, all of the military appellate courts, the military commissions appellate court, and a bunch of district courts within a short distance of the city if you like sitting in on arguments. We also have opportunities to extern during the year (for credit) at DOJ and other government organizations.

So that's my little push for GW. I've loved it so far, and I can't believe my law school experience is more than half over.

mitz1489
Posts: 42
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 5:58 pm

Re: G.W. 1L Ready to take questions

Postby mitz1489 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:30 am

Paichka wrote:Well, Vandy is higher ranked and it's in Nashville, which is awesome. It has some significant bonuses over GW -- most specifically, a less crowded local market (DC is a beast).

I had a similar choice, and I chose GW for personal reasons -- I needed to be near my family while my husband was deployed for childcare purposes. I don't regret it at all -- GW is a great school. I'm not sure how you've gotten the impression that it's cutthroat...that is completely out of sync with my experience so far (2L). Students are incredibly helpful -- even the obnoxious gunners. :) The faculty are fantastic (particularly the 1L professors) and many are giants in their field (Saltzburg for Evidence and Criminal Law/Procedure, Raven-Hansen for National Security Law, Barron & Dienes for Con Law, Cahn for Family Law, Turley for Torts, etc). The location can't be beat -- Foggy Bottom is a FUN section of DC, and going to law school in DC is an incredible opportunity -- we have the Supremes, the Federal Court of Appeals for the DC Circuit, all of the military appellate courts, the military commissions appellate court, and a bunch of district courts within a short distance of the city if you like sitting in on arguments. We also have opportunities to extern during the year (for credit) at DOJ and other government organizations.

So that's my little push for GW. I've loved it so far, and I can't believe my law school experience is more than half over.
Teoeo wrote:
mitz1489 wrote:So Im currently deciding between GW and Vandy..any thoughts about why I would choose GW?

Also, whats the life like in DC? and the student atmosphere at GW? Is it welcoming and friendly or does it seem rather competitive? I'd prefer not to be in a very competitive, cut throat environment and have gotten that kind of vibe from GW...true? false?


GW has a very nice environment, def. not cutthroat. Having said that, unless GW offered you some money, I would choose Vandy unless you have some really specific goals that only a school in DC can fulfill.


Thanks so much for the advice! Yeah I didnt get any money from GW and would have no personal reasons for going there. Being in the heart of politics would be great but Vandy does have much better job placement (not to mention warmer weather) I guess I'm leaning towards Vandy but can't make my choice until I visit both schools.

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: G.W. 1L Ready to take questions

Postby fatduck » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:44 am

can any current students shed some light on the subject of need-based aid? any data points at all as far as income/EFC -> award amount would be super useful




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: quiver, Wildcats17 and 3 guests