G.W. 1L Ready to take questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
NZA

Re: G.W. 1L Ready to take questions

Postby NZA » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:37 pm

ran12 wrote:GW def has one of the best quality of life compared to all law schools.

Sounds good, for sure. :)

What's the best cafe? Who pulls the best shot of espresso in the area?

ran12

Postby ran12 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:59 pm

NZA wrote:
ran12 wrote:GW def has one of the best quality of life compared to all law schools.

Sounds good, for sure. :)

What's the best cafe? Who pulls the best shot of espresso in the area?

Can't say from personal experience b/c I don't drink coffee but there's Starbucks every couple of blocks. Then there's smaller chains, local cafes, and carts all over campus too.

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:20 pm

Wait, if you live in the Aston, all you really need to worry about is studying? I don't understand. Studying will be a huge part of life lol.

ran12

Postby ran12 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:35 pm

Gemini Hopeful wrote:Wait, if you live in the Aston, all you really need to worry about is studying? I don't understand. Studying will be a huge part of life lol.

I was trying to say that b/c everything you need is closeby to the Aston studying for class is the only real worry you should have. I guess you could worry about getting a job and paying off your debt but 1L is not exactly the time for that.

LttleBlakDress

Postby LttleBlakDress » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:47 am

Hi, thanks for taking the time to answer questions! I'm just wondering about the students at GW. I'm from the west coast and I'm pretty nervous about a competitive atmosphere. (Not because I can't bring it, I just like to be bringing it in a friendly place.) How has the competitive environment been for you?

ran12

Postby ran12 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:58 am

LttleBlakDress wrote:Hi, thanks for taking the time to answer questions! I'm just wondering about the students at GW. I'm from the west coast and I'm pretty nervous about a competitive atmosphere. (Not because I can't bring it, I just like to be bringing it in a friendly place.) How has the competitive environment been for you?

I went to GW UG and was able to interact w/ a lot of law students and professors. GW overall is not a cutthroat school. There's always going to be people who try to come out on top but if anything, GW students are more passive aggressive than in your face competitive. I did PAD as an UG so had opportunities to meet law students through that and also through some of my classes and IM sports. Everyone I met seemed pretty down to earth and helpful. Knowing how the law professors are, I don't think they would condone ultra aggressive, tear pages out type of behavior. There's a lot of west coasters at GW overall and they don't seem to be out of place. Unless you're radical one way or the other, I don't see GW being a hard place to fit in.

Encyclopedia Brown

Postby Encyclopedia Brown » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:21 pm

ran12 wrote:Everything said by ran12 ITT

Isn't this a "1L taking questions" thread? Why don't you start an "undergrad speculates about law school" thread and take your advice over there?

ran12

Postby ran12 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:35 pm

Encyclopedia Brown wrote:

Isn't this a "1L taking questions" thread? Why don't you start an "undergrad speculates about law school" thread and take your advice over there?

I'm just trying to help out and I've already graduated from GW UG so I'm not some naive person posting for no reason. What I've been saying is pretty accurate. I was pretty involved with a lot of things at GW and through my interactions with people in the law school I've come to these conclusions. If you don't like my advice then ignore it. The questions I've answered, I'm qualified to answer.

ODBCP

Postby ODBCP » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:46 pm

He answered questions about living in DC, commuting, and the overall atmosphere of GW; if he's wrong, correct him. Or maybe you could start a "GW 1L doesn't contribute shit but instead rags on a guy for being helpful" thread, and go talk shit over there?

Encyclopedia Brown

Postby Encyclopedia Brown » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:48 pm

ODBCP wrote:

He answered questions about living in DC, commuting, and the overall atmosphere of GW; if he's wrong, correct him. Or maybe you could start a "GW 1L doesn't contribute shit but instead rags on a guy for being helpful" thread, and go talk shit over there?

I'm not saying he's wrong. I'm just criticizing some of his logical leaps, like this one:

ran12 wrote:I did PAD as an UG so had opportunities to meet law students through that and also through some of my classes and IM sports. Everyone I met seemed pretty down to earth and helpful. Knowing how the law professors are, I don't think they would condone ultra aggressive, tear pages out type of behavior.

But you're right--I shouldn't act like a dick without contributing to the thread. On topic: Everyone at GW is really friendly and helpful, professors and students included. The students are from all over (many from the West Coast), and I've heard that the Aston is nice, but I've never been inside. The students who live there seem to get to know each other much more quickly, which can be great if you're moving from far away and don't know anybody.
Last edited by Encyclopedia Brown on Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

mi-chan17

Postby mi-chan17 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:09 am

I'll answer these questions as best I can, though everyone's answers to them thus far have been good. For reference: I am living in the Aston.

Gemini Hopeful wrote:I shall elaborate on these questions, thanks!

NZA wrote:Thank you in advance for helping us 0Ls with questions. :)

I'm also curious about The Aston:

1) Does that $1500 cover everything?

Depends on how you define "everything". It includes our utilities, cable, and heat/AC. It does not include parking, laundry, or food.

a. Is there a gym in the building?

No, but the school's gym is free and about three blocks from the law school.

b. laundry?

Every floor has one washer and one dryer.

c. anything else?

The Aston has parking, but it doesn't come cheap and doesn't include winter break.

2) Approximately what percentage of 1Ls live there?

About a fifth of the 1L class. The Aston holds just over 100 people and our class is around 500 people.

a. Apart from the Aston, where do most law students stay?

It depends on the person, where they're at in life, how much money they have, and what is important to them. I know people living in Arlington, Alexandria, Bethesda, Columbia Heights, Cleveland Park, and Dupont. Price is dependent on both neighborhood and on metro proximity. A few people are in the HOVA.

3) Will I have to deal with bullshit? As in, does the Aston set any kind of "dorm" rules like a visitor must leave by midnight or something like that?

There is an Aston Fellow, who is our version of an RA. However, unlike RAs, he doesn't wander the halls at night busting people or anything. There's no sign-in, no visitor rule that I am aware of (and if there is one, there's no enforcement of it). The only rules I'm aware of being enforced thus far in the year: no halogen lamps/unprotected extension cords, and no drinking in the common areas (drinking in our rooms is fine).

4) How big are the apts?

This is actually more variable than one might think. I do not know the exact measurements, though samples are available on the website. I'm quite happy with the size of my apartment, though.

5) I heard the room comes with some furniture. Are you allowed to replace the bed with your own? Because it says TWIN beds are provided... isn't that the smallest size? Boo.

The room does come with some furniture, yes. And you can bring in your own bed if you like; there are people here this year who brought in their own. Just know that when you move out you'll have to have all the same furniture back in your room.

mi-chan17

Postby mi-chan17 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:16 am

LttleBlakDress wrote:Hi, thanks for taking the time to answer questions! I'm just wondering about the students at GW. I'm from the west coast and I'm pretty nervous about a competitive atmosphere. (Not because I can't bring it, I just like to be bringing it in a friendly place.) How has the competitive environment been for you?

Again, the previous answers to this questions were good ones. I came here from the west coast, and I've been really happy with the atmosphere here. People are competitive, but not generally with each other; we aren't ripping pages out of books or trying to psych out our classmates or anything. We're mostly competitive with ourselves - but I feel that will be the case at any law school. Everyone I have met has been pretty friendly, helpful, and fun to talk to.

I like living in the Aston. It's pretty nice, as far as studios go, and like EB said we do have the opportunity to meet people much more quickly.

ODBCP

Postby ODBCP » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:56 am

ODBCP wrote:

I'm not saying he's wrong. I'm just criticizing some of his logical leaps, like this one:

ran12 wrote:I did PAD as an UG so had opportunities to meet law students through that and also through some of my classes and IM sports. Everyone I met seemed pretty down to earth and helpful. Knowing how the law professors are, I don't think they would condone ultra aggressive, tear pages out type of behavior.

But you're right--I shouldn't act like a dick without contributing to the thread. On topic: Everyone at GW is really friendly and helpful, professors and students included. The students are from all over (many from the West Coast), and I've heard that the Aston is nice, but I've never been inside. The students who live there seem to get to know each other much more quickly, which can be great if you're moving from far away and don't know anybody.

Yeah man re-reading my post I was a dick too. Anyways, it sounds like GW is cool as hell, and DC generally rules. What did you do for housing this last year? I'm trying to figure out how I can minimize the cost of living in DC so as to justify GW.

Actually, to be frank, I'd way rather talk about your detective work, like when you figured out that Bugs Meany had rigged the auction to win the baseball mitt by refrigerating the raffled ping pong ball. Fucking brilliant.

octneedy

Postby octneedy » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:17 am

Do people usually bring cars/need cars? Just wondering b/c someone mentioned parking spots.

Teoeo

Postby Teoeo » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:20 am

octneedy wrote:Do people usually bring cars/need cars? Just wondering b/c someone mentioned parking spots.

No, cars are completely unnecessary. Great subway system.

octneedy

Postby octneedy » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:11 pm

Teoeo wrote:
octneedy wrote:Do people usually bring cars/need cars? Just wondering b/c someone mentioned parking spots.

Thanks! btw, ur kitty tar is really cute.

Teoeo

Postby Teoeo » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:55 pm

octneedy wrote:
Thanks! btw, ur kitty tar is really cute.

Thanks =)

ODBCP

Postby ODBCP » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:45 pm

Teoeo wrote:

Teoeo, would you say that cars would be more of a pain in the ass than they are worth?? I am now having second thoughts about bringing mine... Also, I saw you went to UC-Davis... was it tough going from a college town to a big city for LS?

Also, does anybody that's considering GW do any sailing? I looked up the sailing team and it looks to be pretty young; can we still get involved as grad/law students?

To anyone that has experience with the IP program, how would you size up the backgrounds of people studying IP? Mostly engineering/sciences/etc? I studied history and poli sci; would I be at a total disadvantage when it comes to competition for jobs?

After some totally lame waitlist action at GULC and BU, I think GWU is looking like my top choice.

haus

Postby haus » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:56 pm

ODBCP wrote:Teoeo, would you say that cars would be more of a pain in the ass than they are worth?? I am now having second thoughts about bringing mine...

Disclaimer, I am not a GW student law or otherwise. But for several years I worked 6 blocks away at the Department of Veterans Affairs Headquarters.

Having a car at GW Law is not going to be of much use. It is a very urban area, and it is well served by Metro. I suspect that the vast majority of locations that you will need to go to while in school will be accessible via the Metro as well. If you want to get out of town, Union Station (Amtrak), and National Airport are both right readily available via Metro (Dulles airport requires switching over to a bus, but it does have more flight options, and often lower fares...).

The major exception I can think of would be PT students who are working full time. They would need to consider where their day job is in relation to the school.

Teoeo

Postby Teoeo » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:24 pm

ODBCP wrote:
Teoeo wrote:

Teoeo, would you say that cars would be more of a pain in the ass than they are worth?? I am now having second thoughts about bringing mine... Also, I saw you went to UC-Davis... was it tough going from a college town to a big city for LS?

Also, does anybody that's considering GW do any sailing? I looked up the sailing team and it looks to be pretty young; can we still get involved as grad/law students?

To anyone that has experience with the IP program, how would you size up the backgrounds of people studying IP? Mostly engineering/sciences/etc? I studied history and poli sci; would I be at a total disadvantage when it comes to competition for jobs?

After some totally lame waitlist action at GULC and BU, I think GWU is looking like my top choice.

1. I would say a car is not worth it at all IMO
2. It wasn't really that difficult, I mean, its not like a different planet or something =D. I like Davis though, I plan to move back at some point ^_^
3. Uh, without a hard science background I'd say you would be at a strong disadvantage. You can only really do copyright / trademark and I doubt that those fields are really easy to crack. Having said that, I don't really know much about non-science IP stuff.

dood

Postby dood » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:51 am

ODBCP wrote:To anyone that has experience with the IP program, how would you size up the backgrounds of people studying IP? Mostly engineering/sciences/etc? I studied history and poli sci; would I be at a total disadvantage when it comes to competition for jobs?

i know several people doing "soft ip". u will be at a disadvantage except if u are top 15%, then u get whatever u want.

Gotti

Postby Gotti » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:49 pm

oh haaaaaaaaaay just got in, tagging this thread 8)

krad

Postby krad » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:49 pm

Gotti wrote:oh haaaaaaaaaay just got in, tagging this thread 8)

Ditto, stoked!! I'm sure I'll have questions soon, too excited for now :)

NZA

Postby NZA » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:51 pm

Congrats Krad and Gotti. :)

cowgirl_bebop

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:20 pm

Got in yesterday. Excited about maybe staying here in DC.

That said, how many GW students commute from other parts of the city? I live out by LeDroit Park and would love to just stay in my apartment and keep my cheap rent.

Also, how are GW students faring in the DC market? I know they are below GULC, but I would hope they are making a better showing than American, CUA, Howard, etc.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”