G.W. 1L Ready to take questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
Wily
Posts: 280
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:35 pm

Re: G.W. 1L Ready to take questions

Postby Wily » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:20 pm

dudders wrote:
Wily wrote:Anyone have any idea what the "school-funded" jobs are? The stats show that 80 grads (15%) took them. Are they any good?

Also, for 3L's and recent grads, are your experiences matching with the 80% employed score at lawschooltransparency? That number is much higher than GW's counterpart schools. Just wondering if you feel like 80% of the graduating class is getting full-time, JD required jobs, or if that number is inflated.


I don't have a clue what the school-sponsored jobs are. I can't even find anything about Pathways to Practice on our intranet.


Yikes, this looks like what it is: http://abovethelaw.com/2012/06/law-scho ... ind-a-job/

The pay for Pathways to Practice just got cut from a terrible $15/hour to a ridiculous $10/hour. That's the fate of 15% of graduates? Not good...

dudders
Posts: 468
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:56 pm

Re: G.W. 1L Ready to take questions

Postby dudders » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:29 pm

Wily wrote:
dudders wrote:
Wily wrote:Anyone have any idea what the "school-funded" jobs are? The stats show that 80 grads (15%) took them. Are they any good?

Also, for 3L's and recent grads, are your experiences matching with the 80% employed score at lawschooltransparency? That number is much higher than GW's counterpart schools. Just wondering if you feel like 80% of the graduating class is getting full-time, JD required jobs, or if that number is inflated.


I don't have a clue what the school-sponsored jobs are. I can't even find anything about Pathways to Practice on our intranet.


Yikes, this looks like what it is: http://abovethelaw.com/2012/06/law-scho ... ind-a-job/

The pay for Pathways to Practice just got cut from a terrible $15/hour to a ridiculous $10/hour. That's the fate of 15% of graduates? Not good...


Yeah I spoke too soon on that one

acw1213
Posts: 43
Joined: Sun May 13, 2012 8:16 pm

Re: G.W. 1L Ready to take questions

Postby acw1213 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:20 pm

.
Last edited by acw1213 on Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

call saul
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:25 pm

Re: G.W. 1L Ready to take questions

Postby call saul » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:53 am

my deans fellow said top 15% has a decent shot, considering the evaluation is 70% grades and 30% writing.

I figure they only take 40-50 people, which is about 10% of our class.

*Edit: also, if you look at the graduating class honors list and compare it with the law review board members it all seems to support what my deans fellow was saying.

dudders
Posts: 468
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:56 pm

Re: G.W. 1L Ready to take questions

Postby dudders » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:24 pm

The top 15% is realistic for law review. To get a secondary journal, I'd say (roughly) top half is guaranteed some journal position if you apply to all of them.

sangr
Posts: 459
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:45 pm

Re: G.W. 1L Ready to take questions

Postby sangr » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:38 am

where is the 1L class schedule? i know theres a general template but it doesnt seem to be on the site?

dudders
Posts: 468
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:56 pm

Re: G.W. 1L Ready to take questions

Postby dudders » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:54 pm

sangr wrote:where is the 1L class schedule? i know theres a general template but it doesnt seem to be on the site?


I don't think there's a prettier format than just the schedule.

Fall Courses are here:
--LinkRemoved--

The number under "Sec" is the 1L section number; I think all the 1L classes are on the first page. Civ pro is the small section - sections starting with 1 are assigned to Section 11, and so on (I think).

Sec. 22 is second-year PT students btw.

kbai31790
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:13 am

Re: G.W. 1L Ready to take questions

Postby kbai31790 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:09 pm

does anyone know if the exam schedule is pretty much set? or will it change?

also orientation for 1L is on thursday and friday right?

dudders
Posts: 468
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:56 pm

Re: G.W. 1L Ready to take questions

Postby dudders » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:05 pm

kbai31790 wrote:does anyone know if the exam schedule is pretty much set? or will it change?

also orientation for 1L is on thursday and friday right?


It will not change. You can buy Christmas flights now

User avatar
Wily
Posts: 280
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:35 pm

Re: G.W. 1L Ready to take questions

Postby Wily » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:20 am

Hey, I just got my professors for the fall, anyone have insights on the following:

Contracts I : Michael Selmi
Torts: Jonathan R. Turley
Criminal: Cynthia K. Lee
Civ Pro I: Jack Friedenthal
Legal Research and Writing: Stephen W. Simpson

Thanks!

call saul
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:25 pm

Re: G.W. 1L Ready to take questions

Postby call saul » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:59 am

Wily wrote:Hey, I just got my professors for the fall, anyone have insights on the following:

Contracts I : Michael Selmi
Torts: Jonathan R. Turley
Criminal: Cynthia K. Lee
Civ Pro I: Jack Friedenthal
Legal Research and Writing: Stephen W. Simpson

Thanks!


I had Turley for torts. His lectures are all story and very little law. I'd suggest getting a supplement (however it is helpful to note that if you use the glannon guide, Turley approaches negligence differently than what is in the supplement) and learn the BLL cold because his final exam is a 5-6 page hypo with a million torts. Also, be sure to learn/apply different legal theories and law & economic concepts on the exam; knowing these will be the difference between median and an A.

dudders
Posts: 468
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:56 pm

Re: G.W. 1L Ready to take questions

Postby dudders » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:12 am

Wily wrote:Hey, I just got my professors for the fall, anyone have insights on the following:

Contracts I : Michael Selmi
Torts: Jonathan R. Turley
Criminal: Cynthia K. Lee
Civ Pro I: Jack Friedenthal
Legal Research and Writing: Stephen W. Simpson

Thanks!


Don't even buy the book for turley's class. Or read it. Supplements and take great class notes.

Friedenthal is awesome but hard to hear so sit towards the front.

User avatar
MarylandGirl
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:41 pm

Re: G.W. 1L Ready to take questions

Postby MarylandGirl » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:18 am

call saul wrote:
Wily wrote:Hey, I just got my professors for the fall, anyone have insights on the following:

Contracts I : Michael Selmi
Torts: Jonathan R. Turley
Criminal: Cynthia K. Lee
Civ Pro I: Jack Friedenthal
Legal Research and Writing: Stephen W. Simpson

Thanks!


I had Turley for torts. His lectures are all story and very little law. I'd suggest getting a supplement (however it is helpful to note that if you use the glannon guide, Turley approaches negligence differently than what is in the supplement) and learn the BLL cold because his final exam is a 5-6 page hypo with a million torts. Also, be sure to learn/apply different legal theories and law & economic concepts on the exam; knowing these will be the difference between median and an A.


Both Lee and Turley had closed book exams. But they are complete opposites: while Lee will give you the rules that you need for the exam, Turley will give you anything but. In Lee's class, write down every rule that she gives you (even if it seems minor) and memorize it for the final. She also likes some policy discussion, but it won't be as important as she makes it seem in class. Before her exam, go to office hours because she is very patient and will go through previous exams with students.

For Turley, I recommend buying the Case Notes Legal Brief that are keyed to his casebook (if he is still assigning Epstein) and using that instead of the casebook when you outline. His book is terrible, but I do recommend reading throughout the semester, even if most of your classmates aren't doing it. Practice applying his legal theories to the torts because he does give points for that in the final. A lot of people will come to hate his class by the end of the semester, but it will be ok. :)

You're lucky to have Friedenthal. He was my favorite professor and wrote the book that most of your classmates will be using.

User avatar
cahwc12
Posts: 941
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:49 pm

Re: G.W. 1L Ready to take questions

Postby cahwc12 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:43 am

How does GW fare in the CA market? I intend to study patent law and if I can get my LSAT up a few more points in October, GW's ED full-ride is a no-brainer for me if their CA placement is good.

Do you know anyone who has had success there? Their placement statistics show 6% of grads go into CA market. Is it more of a self-selection that GW grads tend to gravitate toward DC/NY?

User avatar
MarylandGirl
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:41 pm

Re: G.W. 1L Ready to take questions

Postby MarylandGirl » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:07 pm

cahwc12 wrote:How does GW fare in the CA market? I intend to study patent law and if I can get my LSAT up a few more points in October, GW's ED full-ride is a no-brainer for me if their CA placement is good.

Do you know anyone who has had success there? Their placement statistics show 6% of grads go into CA market. Is it more of a self-selection that GW grads tend to gravitate toward DC/NY?


The only people I know who went to California had previous ties to the region.

cts2012
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:40 am

Re: G.W. 1L Ready to take questions

Postby cts2012 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:00 pm

1L at GW. I was wondering if any 2Ls or 3Ls have any suggestions on supplements, outlines, etc... for my professors. My classes and professors are:
Civ Pro - Gutman
Torts - Schechter
Contracts - Gabaldon
Crim - Cottrol

call saul
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:25 pm

Re: G.W. 1L Ready to take questions

Postby call saul » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:12 am

MarylandGirl wrote:
cahwc12 wrote:How does GW fare in the CA market? I intend to study patent law and if I can get my LSAT up a few more points in October, GW's ED full-ride is a no-brainer for me if their CA placement is good.

Do you know anyone who has had success there? Their placement statistics show 6% of grads go into CA market. Is it more of a self-selection that GW grads tend to gravitate toward DC/NY?


The only people I know who went to California had previous ties to the region.


This year I know a couple people, non-ip, with offers for LA offices. Think MTO, GDC, OMM.

joiedevivre8
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed May 15, 2013 7:08 pm

Re: G.W. 1L Ready to take questions

Postby joiedevivre8 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:36 pm

Ummm...not sure if people are still using this thread, but in case they are...
I just got my first year professors, and was wondering if you have any advice on them? Thank you so much.

They are:

1. Contract- Michael Selmi
2. Torts- John Diamond
3. Criminal Law- Donald Braman
4. Civil Procedure- Todd Peterson
5. Legal Research and Writing -Steven Blivess

atticus3000
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:31 pm

Re: G.W. 1L Ready to take questions

Postby atticus3000 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:34 pm

Does anybody have prior finals from Cynthia Lee ??? Any exams, post mortems or suggestions would be much appreciated!

redsoxrox
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:36 pm

Re: G.W. 1L Ready to take questions

Postby redsoxrox » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:00 pm

Somehow did really well this semester and really excited about it. Anyone have an idea what percentile I'm in with a 3.9x? Or can someone give just a general layout on what the percentile breakdowns might be?

My dream is to get DC biglaw-- anyone know if there's a threshold gpa where you're a safe bet to get it?

Thanks!

User avatar
mi-chan17
Posts: 428
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:55 am

Re: G.W. 1L Ready to take questions

Postby mi-chan17 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:15 pm

redsoxrox wrote:Somehow did really well this semester and really excited about it. Anyone have an idea what percentile I'm in with a 3.9x? Or can someone give just a general layout on what the percentile breakdowns might be?

My dream is to get DC biglaw-- anyone know if there's a threshold gpa where you're a safe bet to get it?

Thanks!


You're somewhere in the top 5%. Probably closer to top 3% or so. You can check out NALP for the most recent breakdowns of what ranks corresponded to what percentage. My GPA was lower than that at graduation, though, and my rank put me around ~5%.

In terms of biglaw, it's going to depend on the firm. 3.9 is more than high enough to jump any threshold, but that assumes you maintain that kind of number until FRP. So for now, I'd keep your focus on maintaining your GPA.

(FWIW, I went into FRP with a 3.75 or so, and was offered DC biglaw.)

thatgingergirl
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:44 pm

Re: G.W. 1L Ready to take questions

Postby thatgingergirl » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:35 pm

Accepted into class of 2017 and looking for some information about IP law. Most of the IP info about jobs/ internships etc. on this thread deals with engineering. I'm currently a master's student in pharmaceutics, which is a largely interdisciplinary area also incorporating a lot of chemistry, biology, biotech, and analytical analysis. Any current students or alumni have a background like this or know someone with a background like this who is now working at an IP job? Also, any idea about access to geographic areas with larger pharmaceutics markets (Boston, San Fran) etc? Basically are the IP grads coming out of GW strictly engineers, or are they from other science fields as well? Thanks

User avatar
mi-chan17
Posts: 428
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:55 am

Re: G.W. 1L Ready to take questions

Postby mi-chan17 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:55 am

thatgingergirl wrote:Accepted into class of 2017 and looking for some information about IP law. Most of the IP info about jobs/ internships etc. on this thread deals with engineering. I'm currently a master's student in pharmaceutics, which is a largely interdisciplinary area also incorporating a lot of chemistry, biology, biotech, and analytical analysis. Any current students or alumni have a background like this or know someone with a background like this who is now working at an IP job? Also, any idea about access to geographic areas with larger pharmaceutics markets (Boston, San Fran) etc? Basically are the IP grads coming out of GW strictly engineers, or are they from other science fields as well? Thanks


Frankly, I'm not the best person to answer this, not being an IP person myself. I'll do my best based on what I know, and hopefully someone who is an IP person can swoop in and give you more information.

Are there IP grads out of GW that aren't EE/ME? Yes, definitely. I graduated with IP people who had degrees in chemistry or bio. THAT SAID, those I knew who were straight from undergrad or who only had an undergrad degree were nearly all engineers or CS majors. The few bio/chem folks I knew had Ph.Ds in their fields. Which is a long way of saying - unfortunately, I don't even want to speculate as to how far a master's (or master's-level study) in pharmaceutics would go.

Are you patent bar eligible?

thatgingergirl
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:44 pm

Re: G.W. 1L Ready to take questions

Postby thatgingergirl » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:57 am

mi-chan17 wrote:
thatgingergirl wrote:Accepted into class of 2017 and looking for some information about IP law. Most of the IP info about jobs/ internships etc. on this thread deals with engineering. I'm currently a master's student in pharmaceutics, which is a largely interdisciplinary area also incorporating a lot of chemistry, biology, biotech, and analytical analysis. Any current students or alumni have a background like this or know someone with a background like this who is now working at an IP job? Also, any idea about access to geographic areas with larger pharmaceutics markets (Boston, San Fran) etc? Basically are the IP grads coming out of GW strictly engineers, or are they from other science fields as well? Thanks


Frankly, I'm not the best person to answer this, not being an IP person myself. I'll do my best based on what I know, and hopefully someone who is an IP person can swoop in and give you more information.

Are there IP grads out of GW that aren't EE/ME? Yes, definitely. I graduated with IP people who had degrees in chemistry or bio. THAT SAID, those I knew who were straight from undergrad or who only had an undergrad degree were nearly all engineers or CS majors. The few bio/chem folks I knew had Ph.Ds in their fields. Which is a long way of saying - unfortunately, I don't even want to speculate as to how far a master's (or master's-level study) in pharmaceutics would go.

Are you patent bar eligible?


Yeah, I'm fairly certain I'm patent bar eligible. I'm not directly eligible under the specific majors requirement, but instead based upon my chemistry/physics/bio credit hours. (I think that's like category B for eligibility... anyway).

User avatar
mi-chan17
Posts: 428
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:55 am

Re: G.W. 1L Ready to take questions

Postby mi-chan17 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:49 am

thatgingergirl wrote:Yeah, I'm fairly certain I'm patent bar eligible. I'm not directly eligible under the specific majors requirement, but instead based upon my chemistry/physics/bio credit hours. (I think that's like category B for eligibility... anyway).


I think being patent bar eligible, even as a Category B, will be useful in combination with a degree familiarizing you with the kind of concepts patents deal with. That said, though, I'm not the expert and I wouldn't know how your degree will compare to EE/CS undergrad degrees or the Bio/Chem Ph.Ds.

To get you better advice, I'd actually recommend you start (or find, I haven't run a search) a more general thread on non-EE/CS folks in patent law. There are plenty of IP people on the board, but right now they just might not see your question because it's in the GW thread and they aren't GW students/alums. GW certainly has a good IP program, and plenty of alumni/students who specialize in it, but we aren't the only school with patent students, so it's worth asking around.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests