G.W. 1L Ready to take questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
sinemetu
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:47 am

Re: G.W. 1L Ready to take questions

Postby sinemetu » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:32 pm

schooner wrote:Quick question: do we get assigned seats in all 1L classes (held in lecture halls)? Will there be name tags on the seats or something the first day?


Usually they just make up a seating chart from where you sit during one of the first classes so try to get there early and sit w/people you like (if you care about that). Never had assigned seats made up by the prof, though.

schooner
Posts: 374
Joined: Sat May 14, 2011 6:50 pm

Re: G.W. 1L Ready to take questions

Postby schooner » Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:09 pm

I already feel completely overwhelmed by the number of assigned readings. Is this normal?

dudders
Posts: 467
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:56 pm

Re: G.W. 1L Ready to take questions

Postby dudders » Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:31 pm

Yes. And it gets worse, especially when LRW gets rolling.

If anyone has Turley for torts, believe the 2Ls and 3Ls when we tell you to just stop reading now. Seriously.

User avatar
Naked Dude
Posts: 746
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:09 pm

Re: G.W. 1L Ready to take questions

Postby Naked Dude » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:10 pm

Any 2/3Ls have experience with Profs: Cunningham, Fairfax, Rajec, Raven-Hansen?

User avatar
monkey85
Posts: 394
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:07 pm

Re: G.W. 1L Ready to take questions

Postby monkey85 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:19 pm

dudders wrote:Yes. And it gets worse, especially when LRW gets rolling.


Agree. Good luck 1Ls.

Our graded LRW course can help you become a great writer - I have had nothing but solid comments about my research, organization, and writing skills from interviewers and law clerks (judicial internship) - but it is a black hole that eats your time.

User avatar
mi-chan17
Posts: 428
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:55 am

Re: G.W. 1L Ready to take questions

Postby mi-chan17 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:11 pm

Naked Dude wrote:Any 2/3Ls have experience with Profs: Cunningham, Fairfax, Rajec, Raven-Hansen?


Had the Raven.

User avatar
Naked Dude
Posts: 746
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:09 pm

Re: G.W. 1L Ready to take questions

Postby Naked Dude » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:26 pm

mi-chan17 wrote:
Naked Dude wrote:Any 2/3Ls have experience with Profs: Cunningham, Fairfax, Rajec, Raven-Hansen?


Had the Raven.


Any advice on the guy? Seems to have a very dry sense of humor

dudders
Posts: 467
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:56 pm

Re: G.W. 1L Ready to take questions

Postby dudders » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:46 pm

Naked Dude wrote:Any 2/3Ls have experience with Profs: Cunningham, Fairfax, Rajec, Raven-Hansen?


Lord Fairfax or Lady Fairfax? (they're married)

User avatar
Naked Dude
Posts: 746
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:09 pm

Re: G.W. 1L Ready to take questions

Postby Naked Dude » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:50 pm

dudders wrote:
Naked Dude wrote:Any 2/3Ls have experience with Profs: Cunningham, Fairfax, Rajec, Raven-Hansen?


Lord Fairfax or Lady Fairfax? (they're married)


Male Fairfax-I like the guy, but how hard is the exam/what does he focus on?

dudders
Posts: 467
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:56 pm

Re: G.W. 1L Ready to take questions

Postby dudders » Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:43 pm

Note: Fairfax will decline to answer questions about the final until shortly before the final, so I would not be the one who tries to ask about it in class/office hours until he's brought it up in class.

It's hard to say whether the exam was "hard" - I did well but obviously it's a curve so not everyone did. Plus I was already interesting in crim law and loved the class, so I think that probably helped, and I happen to love and do well at multiple choice. I thought this was my easiest fall exam - other people disagreed.

The exam was split issue-spotter and multiple choice, with one open-ended policy question. You'll need to know both common law and MPC. The basic crimes you learn at the beginning of the class are foundations for the more complicated stuff later (conspiracy, accomplice liability, etc.). Normal studying is all that should be required for this class - do the reading, go to class, participate in class discussion if you're someone that likes to do that, and do hypos and practice exams leading up to the test.

User avatar
Naked Dude
Posts: 746
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:09 pm

Re: G.W. 1L Ready to take questions

Postby Naked Dude » Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:48 pm

Cool. He seems to be policy oriented but it's only foundational first week stuff. Issue spotter sounds good I guess

User avatar
mi-chan17
Posts: 428
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:55 am

Re: G.W. 1L Ready to take questions

Postby mi-chan17 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:38 am

Naked Dude wrote:
mi-chan17 wrote:
Naked Dude wrote:Any 2/3Ls have experience with Profs: Cunningham, Fairfax, Rajec, Raven-Hansen?


Had the Raven.


Any advice on the guy? Seems to have a very dry sense of humor


The Raven is pretty funny (although you're right that he's got a dry sense of humor), and he will do a good job of teaching you Civ Pro (at least I think so). He will focus on the rules themselves, not the policy. So I wouldn't worry about the why as much as the what. He's a tough grader, but he's pretty fair.

If you have an aversion to looking foolish, make sure you do the reading well enough to get through cold-calls. He doesn't have much of a pattern to his cold-calling, so you can't really see it coming, and he's one of those professors that will just straight up say, "No, you're completely wrong. What's wrong with you?" So you've been warned. ;)

He's not bad, though. I think you'll enjoy him.

User avatar
Naked Dude
Posts: 746
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:09 pm

Re: G.W. 1L Ready to take questions

Postby Naked Dude » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:49 am

dudders wrote:Note: Fairfax will decline to answer questions about the final until shortly before the final, so I would not be the one who tries to ask about it in class/office hours until he's brought it up in class.

It's hard to say whether the exam was "hard" - I did well but obviously it's a curve so not everyone did. Plus I was already interesting in crim law and loved the class, so I think that probably helped, and I happen to love and do well at multiple choice. I thought this was my easiest fall exam - other people disagreed.

The exam was split issue-spotter and multiple choice, with one open-ended policy question. You'll need to know both common law and MPC. The basic crimes you learn at the beginning of the class are foundations for the more complicated stuff later (conspiracy, accomplice liability, etc.). Normal studying is all that should be required for this class - do the reading, go to class, participate in class discussion if you're someone that likes to do that, and do hypos and practice exams leading up to the test.


Cool, thanks a lot! We're not really on crimes per se yet, still doing theories of punishment (retributivism etc), principle of legality, statutory interpretation, etc.

User avatar
mi-chan17
Posts: 428
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:55 am

Re: G.W. 1L Ready to take questions

Postby mi-chan17 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:20 am

An import note for Raven-Hansen that I forgot:

Do not underestimate his multiple choice questions. Half of your final will be multiple choice, and that multiple choice separated the men from the boys (or women from the girls) in my section. That stuff will take you far longer than you thought it would, so be prepared for it.

User avatar
Naked Dude
Posts: 746
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:09 pm

Re: G.W. 1L Ready to take questions

Postby Naked Dude » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:26 am

mi-chan17 wrote:An import note for Raven-Hansen that I forgot:

Do not underestimate his multiple choice questions. Half of your final will be multiple choice, and that multiple choice separated the men from the boys (or women from the girls) in my section. That stuff will take you far longer than you thought it would, so be prepared for it.


Good to know-there's some multiple choice examples in his casebook, and it's not easy.

redfern86
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:21 am

Re: G.W. 1L Ready to take questions

Postby redfern86 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:02 pm

Why should we stop reading for Turley now..?

And he's spent the last four classes talking about legal theory. That's not relevant for the exam, right?

User avatar
dood
Posts: 1639
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:59 am

Re: G.W. 1L Ready to take questions

Postby dood » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:30 pm

redfern86 wrote:Why should we stop reading for Turley now..?

And he's spent the last four classes talking about legal theory. That's not relevant for the exam, right?


PROTIP: Actually, that's the ONLY thing relevant for Turley's exam.

User avatar
Paichka
Posts: 287
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:17 am

Re: G.W. 1L Ready to take questions

Postby Paichka » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:46 pm

dood wrote:
redfern86 wrote:Why should we stop reading for Turley now..?

And he's spent the last four classes talking about legal theory. That's not relevant for the exam, right?


PROTIP: Actually, that's the ONLY thing relevant for Turley's exam.


Credited.

Find a good supplement and learn the torts BLL cold (I liked Understanding Torts) -- the exam will be a crazy issue spotter, something like 7-8 pages. You'll have to go through and spot the torts, correctly identify the elements, which facts swing which way, and if you can throw in policy here and there it'll push your exam into the A/A+ range.

User avatar
androstan
Posts: 2553
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:07 am

Re: G.W. 1L Ready to take questions

Postby androstan » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:59 pm

dudders wrote:Yes. And it gets worse, especially when LRW gets rolling.

If anyone has Turley for torts, believe the 2Ls and 3Ls when we tell you to just stop reading now. Seriously.


omg ty so much

User avatar
androstan
Posts: 2553
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:07 am

Re: G.W. 1L Ready to take questions

Postby androstan » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:01 pm

Can anyone comment on Transgrud and Maggs regarding their finals and what they care about and focus on?

dudders
Posts: 467
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:56 pm

Re: G.W. 1L Ready to take questions

Postby dudders » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:17 pm

androstan wrote:Can anyone comment on Transgrud and Maggs regarding their finals and what they care about and focus on?


Maggs' finals for like the past 20 years are on the portal, along with his grading guides.

User avatar
TheFutureLawyer
Posts: 3876
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 2:28 pm

Re: G.W. 1L Ready to take questions

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:19 pm

dudders wrote:
androstan wrote:Can anyone comment on Transgrud and Maggs regarding their finals and what they care about and focus on?


Maggs' finals for like the past 20 years are on the portal, along with his grading guides.


I do wish I had Maggs for contracts (I assume from the times I met him that his class is a bit livelier than Wilmarth's, not to say he's a bad teacher, just a bit boring, and he gives a 10 min response to nearly everyone's question).

Eco
Posts: 325
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:37 pm

Re: G.W. 1L Ready to take questions

Postby Eco » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:30 pm

Maggs for contracts is amazing.

I gotta say, for Turley, make sure you study the shit out of that economic theory stuff.

Don't read for his class. In fact, return the book if you can.

Instead, get a supplement and learn all the elements of each tort by heart, because he won't let you take an outline to his class.

Eco
Posts: 325
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:37 pm

Re: G.W. 1L Ready to take questions

Postby Eco » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:31 pm

Btw, I got As in Maggs class, I'll be posting the outline I made for Contracts I and II before 1L finals. They're pretty good and short, which is all you need for his class btw (10-12 page outline, trust me).

User avatar
Naked Dude
Posts: 746
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:09 pm

Re: G.W. 1L Ready to take questions

Postby Naked Dude » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:02 pm

TheFutureLawyer wrote:
dudders wrote:
androstan wrote:Can anyone comment on Transgrud and Maggs regarding their finals and what they care about and focus on?


Maggs' finals for like the past 20 years are on the portal, along with his grading guides.


I do wish I had Maggs for contracts (I assume from the times I met him that his class is a bit livelier than Wilmarth's, not to say he's a bad teacher, just a bit boring, and he gives a 10 min response to nearly everyone's question).


Man, if there's a livelier professor than Cunningham, then I'd like to see it. No idea how his finals are, but great class




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests