G.W. 1L Ready to take questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
airyshadows

Re: G.W. 1L Ready to take questions

Postby airyshadows » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:03 am

For all my SA interviews, I included my undergrad transcripts. I know others who were called on for it. I was asked a few questions about my engineering classes and my experience there, etc. Law school grades are more important though, obviously. My undergrad GPA was pretty bad compared to my law school GPA and that didn't seem to be too much of a detriment.

I actually don't personally know any chemical engineers. The majority are EE/CompE/ME. That being said, I am not aware of anyone in IP who hasn't found something they would be interested in doing next summer. Even the biology/life sciences people seem to find jobs very easily.

Any other questions I can answer?

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:07 am

airyshadows wrote:For all my SA interviews, I included my undergrad transcripts. I know others who were called on for it. I was asked a few questions about my engineering classes and my experience there, etc. Law school grades are more important though, obviously. My undergrad GPA was pretty bad compared to my law school GPA and that didn't seem to be too much of a detriment.

I actually don't personally know any chemical engineers. The majority are EE/CompE/ME. That being said, I am not aware of anyone in IP who hasn't found something they would be interested in doing next summer. Even the biology/life sciences people seem to find jobs very easily.

At GDub of the midwest. In your experience, is it hard to sell yourself as an ME? Any particular areas employers want to hear more about/that are productive to emphasize on resumes, e.g. energy generation/aerospace/materials science vs. ???

ksimon2007

Postby ksimon2007 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:17 am

How much are living expenses for you at the Aston? What would you recommend for students looking to minimize costs for living arrangements?

mi-chan17

Postby mi-chan17 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:13 pm

ksimon2007 wrote:How much are living expenses for you at the Aston? What would you recommend for students looking to minimize costs for living arrangements?

I'm actually living in the Aston, but I've got friends out in the district and VA/MD. The Aston itself will cost about $1200(ish) per month for a studio apartment, which sounds heinously expensive but is pretty much par for the course in Foggy Bottom. To minimize costs the best idea is move to a different neighborhood - U St., Columbia Heights, etc. - or to move out to VA or MD. And, no matter where you live, it's cheapest to pick up some roommates.

Just know that it's not going to be cheap Anywhere (well, anywhere you won't be afraid to live).

dood

Postby dood » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:33 pm

Last edited by dood on Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mi-chan17

Postby mi-chan17 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:17 pm

dood wrote:FYI, the aston was $14200 for 8 months last year, which breaks down to $1775/mo. and i dont think they dropped the price for you 1Ls.

Gah. I mis-typed. Yes, the correct number is closer to $1600 ($15,500 for approximately 10 mos.) My bad.

airyshadows

Postby airyshadows » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:08 am

stratocophic wrote:
airyshadows wrote:For all my SA interviews, I included my undergrad transcripts. I know others who were called on for it. I was asked a few questions about my engineering classes and my experience there, etc. Law school grades are more important though, obviously. My undergrad GPA was pretty bad compared to my law school GPA and that didn't seem to be too much of a detriment.

At GDub of the midwest. In your experience, is it hard to sell yourself as an ME? Any particular areas employers want to hear more about/that are productive to emphasize on resumes, e.g. energy generation/aerospace/materials science vs. ???

I would say that you definitely have to sell your knowledge of other engineering fields. ME will get you the interview but it won't sell itself on its own with the big IP firms. Obviously, firms are crazy about EE first, so emphasize skills that will reflect your understanding of EE. As far as ME specialties go, energy generation is producing quite a few patents now - so that's always good to talk about. I talked a lot about my senior design project, which involved both renewable energy and programming, to show them that I'm interested in the next big ME fields and that I also have CE knowledge.
Also, keep in mind that with ME, you aren't restricted to IP. Most firms that have an energy practice like taking MEs as well.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:25 am

airyshadows wrote:
stratocophic wrote:

I would say that you definitely have to sell your knowledge of other engineering fields. ME will get you the interview but it won't sell itself on its own with the big IP firms. Obviously, firms are crazy about EE first, so emphasize skills that will reflect your understanding of EE. As far as ME specialties go, energy generation is producing quite a few patents now - so that's always good to talk about. I talked a lot about my senior design project, which involved both renewable energy and programming, to show them that I'm interested in the next big ME fields and that I also have CE knowledge.
Also, keep in mind that with ME, you aren't restricted to IP. Most firms that have an energy practice like taking MEs as well.
Awesome, the advice is definitely appreciated. Not many ME majors running around TLS, always nice to hear from someone with relevant experience.

airyshadows

Postby airyshadows » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:35 pm

No problem! Message me if you want to know anything else about it. :)

krad

Postby krad » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:48 pm

Thanks for the info in the thread! For now, I'm creepin', but I will post questions as I think of them.

GW is becoming my top (and most realistic) choice :) I have interests (because of my background) in both environmental and IP and GW's programs, along with the location in DC, are drawing me in more and more...

Anywhoo /ramble.

Edit: Thought of one. Teoeo (others feel free to chime in!), thoughts on DC coming from CA? I'm a FL baby that did UG in CA and now I'm in CO. Are you liking it? The people? Weather? Etc etc.

crossingforHYS

Postby crossingforHYS » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:19 am

also, I wanted to ask specifically about cali...do you see many of your fellow classmates go to the CA and SoCal markets. I eventually want to end up in DC or Cali, and I was wondering if doing internships in DC during the year and other work in California would be beneficial. Or would you suggest picking another school closer to home?

Teoeo

Postby Teoeo » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:15 pm

krad wrote:Thanks for the info in the thread! For now, I'm creepin', but I will post questions as I think of them.

GW is becoming my top (and most realistic) choice :) I have interests (because of my background) in both environmental and IP and GW's programs, along with the location in DC, are drawing me in more and more...

Anywhoo /ramble.

Edit: Thought of one. Teoeo (others feel free to chime in!), thoughts on DC coming from CA? I'm a FL baby that did UG in CA and now I'm in CO. Are you liking it? The people? Weather? Etc etc.

Sorry for taking so long to answer, I haven't been on TLS for a while. If you can handle CO then DC should be easy (weather wise). I like DC a lot so far, GW has a great atmosphere and its always nice that the school is in a nice neighborhood. Having said that, I would still like to end up working in CA if I can ^_^. If you have any specific questions feel free to PM me.

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:38 pm

tagging this as I am now accepted. 8)

Teoeo

Postby Teoeo » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:36 pm

Gemini Hopeful wrote:tagging this as I am now accepted. 8)

gratz!

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:48 pm

Thanks! My questions (for now):

1) Process for getting on a journal? I know that you are basically guaranteed a job if you do journal, right? What if you don't? What are your chances then?

2) Classroom experience: how are the professors? the students? Is the atmosphere competitive? I'm really not looking to go to one of those cut throat schools where if you miss a day, no student will volunteer their notes to you. That's too mean for me lol.

3) Neighborhood: Foggy Bottom is a good one or not? Just want to get a feel for the location of the school. Is the Aston the only option for GW housing for grad students?

4) I'm from NY. Are there possibilities to do summer 1L and summer 2L jobs here instead of DC?

Teoeo

Postby Teoeo » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:36 pm

Gemini Hopeful wrote:Thanks! My questions (for now):

1) Process for getting on a journal? I know that you are basically guaranteed a job if you do journal, right? What if you don't? What are your chances then?

2) Classroom experience: how are the professors? the students? Is the atmosphere competitive? I'm really not looking to go to one of those cut throat schools where if you miss a day, no student will volunteer their notes to you. That's too mean for me lol.

3) Neighborhood: Foggy Bottom is a good one or not? Just want to get a feel for the location of the school. Is the Aston the only option for GW housing for grad students?

4) I'm from NY. Are there possibilities to do summer 1L and summer 2L jobs here instead of DC?

1. You are basically guaranteed a job if you do law review, but certainly not for a secondary journal. The process for getting on law review is based 70% on your grades and 30% on a competition that you will do in the first week of spring break. The process for secondary journals is 100 percent write on competition.

2. GW is known for having a great atmosphere. I have really enjoyed it and have felt that everyone is really nice. (I am not just saying this, I really think this school along with a few others is especially pleasant).

3. Foggy Bottom is a good and EXPENSIVE neighborhood. The Aston is only one option for living, but may be a good one if you don't have much time to scout around and want an easy way of meeting peers. Having said that, its expensive, its 1500 a month or something (although the studios are nice and close to school). If you want to live in GW housing I think the Aston is your best bet, if you want to save a little and dont mind taking the metro to school then you should probably scout around DC in advance of coming.

4. YES, I don't know what percentage but a ton of people do their summers elsewhere. I, for example, will be working in California this upcoming summer. Furthermore, a ton of GW grads go to NY to work and are from there.

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:49 pm

Thanks for the quick response! My stats (164/3.82) probably won't qualify me for merit aid ( :( ) but I am wondering how good GWU is with grants.

Teoeo

Postby Teoeo » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:57 pm

Gemini Hopeful wrote:Thanks for the quick response! My stats (164/3.82) probably won't qualify me for merit aid ( :( ) but I am wondering how good GWU is with grants.

GW is incredibly unpredictable with money

androstan

Postby androstan » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:15 pm

I got in PT! It was a serious reach for me as I think PT admissions are much more competitive than they used to be. I'm really excited.

Hearing some good things about GWU ITT. I hear even better things about the patent bar eligible/passed people at GWU, which is me.

I'm a little worried about the price. My wife will be taking a residency at around 40k/year and we can live on that, but GWU is still like 45k/year tuition (or 30k/year for an extra year). Plus, she went to 4 years of pharmacy school so we have ~100k of debt already.

One thing that was in the GWU e-mail that wasn't in other e-mail acceptances I've received was a mention of need-based aid. I've busted my hump since graduating working multiple jobs to try and keep our student debt under control. We live in a little apartment and drive beaters. We get no aid from our parents (I'm 27 ffs). Are they going to look at my income only for need-based aid or, worse yet, look at only my income and my parents'? My dad owns a small business so the income he actually shows is pretty low, but he's middle-class. My income looks solid, but it has largely been devoted to putting my wife through school. We live on around 30k/year for both of us.

Anyone have any information about need-based aid from GWU? If I got even a moderate amount of aid there I would leap at the chance, their IP/patent graduates do so well in general. But with 6 figure student loan debt already I'm a little gun-shy ITE.

ODBCP

Postby ODBCP » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:48 pm

Teoeo wrote:3. Foggy Bottom is a good and EXPENSIVE neighborhood. The Aston is only one option for living, but may be a good one if you don't have much time to scout around and want an easy way of meeting peers. Having said that, its expensive, its 1500 a month or something (although the studios are nice and close to school). If you want to live in GW housing I think the Aston is your best bet, if you want to save a little and dont mind taking the metro to school then you should probably scout around DC in advance of coming.

I've only been to DC a few times, so forgive the ignorance, but how long would a few miles worth of commute take? I'm not trying to live in Maryland or anything, but it seems like the rents in Adams Morgan or Columbia Heights are much more reasonable.

What about the HOVA? I'm trying to spy on Watergate and make sure no more bullhonky takes place.

ran12

Postby ran12 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:56 pm

ODBCP wrote:
Teoeo wrote:3. Foggy Bottom is a good and EXPENSIVE neighborhood. The Aston is only one option for living, but may be a good one if you don't have much time to scout around and want an easy way of meeting peers. Having said that, its expensive, its 1500 a month or something (although the studios are nice and close to school). If you want to live in GW housing I think the Aston is your best bet, if you want to save a little and dont mind taking the metro to school then you should probably scout around DC in advance of coming.

I've only been to DC a few times, so forgive the ignorance, but how long would a few miles worth of commute take? I'm not trying to live in Maryland or anything, but it seems like the rents in Adams Morgan or Columbia Heights are much more reasonable.

What about the HOVA? I'm trying to spy on Watergate and make sure no more bullhonky takes place.

Go to wmata.com. That has train and bus schedules and it's really helpful b/c it actually looks up times and routes instead of just some print schedule

NZA

Postby NZA » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:56 pm

Thank you in advance for helping us 0Ls with questions. :)

I'm also curious about The Aston:

1) Does that $1500 cover everything?

2) Approximately what percentage of 1Ls live there?

3) Will I have to deal with bullshit?

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:08 am

I shall elaborate on these questions, thanks!

NZA wrote:Thank you in advance for helping us 0Ls with questions. :)

I'm also curious about The Aston:

1) Does that $1500 cover everything?
a. Is there a gym in the building?
b. laundry?
c. anything else?

2) Approximately what percentage of 1Ls live there?
a. Apart from the Aston, where do most law students stay?

3) Will I have to deal with bullshit?As in, does the Aston set any kind of "dorm" rules like a visitor must leave by midnight or something like that?

4) How big are the apts?

5) I heard the room comes with some furniture. Are you allowed to replace the bed with your own? Because it says TWIN beds are provided... isn't that the smallest size? Boo.

ran12

Postby ran12 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:19 pm

If you guys want more info on the Aston go to http://gwired.gwu.edu/gwhousing/grad/aston/ and http://living.gwu.edu/halls/graduatehousing/TheAston/.

Also to find general info or learn more about GW, check out the gwhatchet.com and look up stuff you have questions about.

1) That websites answer most of the questions you had. There is no gym. The Aston is a converted apt building. All the UG dorms have utilities covered and the Aston is probably no different.

2) The Aston is supposed to have 114 beds so probably 114 esp. since it's close to the law school and a lot cheaper than the nearby apt buildings. Some close apt buildings to the law school include the Statesmen and the York among others --LinkRemoved--. Also there's Columbian Plaza not far as well as a bunch of buildings on F St near the Statesmen. All of these places are pretty expensive though.

3) There are no dorm rules at GW except Thurston which is the big freshmen dorm where people have to sign in. Most likely there won't even be a security guard at the Aston.

4) I can't say how big they are but they're likely bigger than the studios you would have to settle for close to the law school that cost upwards of $2000 a month. GW overall tends to have bigger and nicer dorms but the Aston is def not as nice as the upperclassmen dorms.

5) You can bring your own furniture but you better keep the school furniture in the apts b/c you'll end up having to pay a lot if they're lost or whatever. Beds are prob twin XL.

ran12

Postby ran12 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:32 pm

Also to elaborate on the gym. The gym, Lerner, isn't that far away. Only a few blocks and it's pretty new and has a lot of different things you may be looking for in a gym. However, the weight room is on the smaller size. The gym is open from around 6am to midnight during the week and Sun.

If you end up living in the Aston, it might not be the greatest place to live but it's not bad considering location and price. The way GW's campus is set up, if you end up living in the Aston, the only thing you really need to worry about is studying. Everything you need is walking distance or a short metro away. Even groceries you can order online at peapod.com to delivered to you. If you need a car, there's zipcar, which let's you rent by the hour and is all over campus.

GW def has one of the best quality of life compared to all law schools.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”