G.W. 1L Ready to take questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
ODBCP

Re: G.W. 1L Ready to take questions

Postby ODBCP » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:03 pm

bender18

Postby bender18 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:35 pm

Last edited by bender18 on Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Teoeo

Postby Teoeo » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:40 am

androstan

Postby androstan » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:08 pm

Any GW students get need-based aid their 1st year? Are need-based aid offers systematically lower for subsequent years (since you're basically a guaranteed tuition payer then)? Or do they continue to make similar need-based awards in subsequent years?

mi-chan17

Postby mi-chan17 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:30 pm

androstan wrote:Any GW students get need-based aid their 1st year? Are need-based aid offers systematically lower for subsequent years (since you're basically a guaranteed tuition payer then)? Or do they continue to make similar need-based awards in subsequent years?

GW definitely gives students need-based aid their 1st year, and I believe that (unless something major in one's FAFSA changes) it remains stable all three years.

androstan

Postby androstan » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:55 pm

mi-chan17 wrote:
androstan wrote:Any GW students get need-based aid their 1st year? Are need-based aid offers systematically lower for subsequent years (since you're basically a guaranteed tuition payer then)? Or do they continue to make similar need-based awards in subsequent years?

GW definitely gives students need-based aid their 1st year, and I believe that (unless something major in one's FAFSA changes) it remains stable all three years.

For what reason do you believe this?

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:28 pm

androstan wrote:
mi-chan17 wrote:

Interestingly, I have yet to see a single person on TLS mention getting need-based aid from GWU :D

mi-chan17

Postby mi-chan17 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:27 pm

androstan wrote:
mi-chan17 wrote:

My friends that have need-based money spent the better part of first semester finals informing those of us with merit-based money that at least they could feel secure in knowing they couldn't lose their money if they failed (unlike the rest of us). So I'm under the impression that, providing these people don't win the lottery or something, they won't be losing that money. If there's anyone on here with better information, though, I'm more than happy to be corrected.

Go to last year's class, Fatduck, and you'll find some need-based recipients. There aren't many of them on here, no. I'm not sure if that's because GW is stingy or if it's because more TLS people have merit-based money ( you can't get both).

annacf

Postby annacf » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:44 pm

So the admitted students site says that a PC laptop is encouraged and they can't guarantee compatibility with Macs.

Do any current students have any insight on this? I have a Mac and am wondering if I need to buy a PC before school starts.
Last edited by annacf on Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Teoeo

Postby Teoeo » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:50 pm

annacf wrote:So the admitted students site says that a PC laptop is encouraged and they can't guarantee compability with Macs.

Do any current students have any insight on this? I have a Mac and am wondering if I need to buy a PC before school starts.

That is probably just to cover their tails. Most people have macs here and I have never heard of any problem.

annacf

Postby annacf » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:56 pm

Teoeo wrote:
annacf wrote:So the admitted students site says that a PC laptop is encouraged and they can't guarantee compability with Macs.

That is probably just to cover their tails. Most people have macs here and I have never heard of any problem.

Oh, great. Thank you so much! Also great that I misspelled compatibility.

FalafelWaffle

Postby FalafelWaffle » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:35 pm

Why would anyone lose their federal aid? I can't imagine what government official you'd have to piss off to lose it.

FalafelWaffle

Postby FalafelWaffle » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:36 pm

annacf wrote:
Teoeo wrote:

Does the exam software run natively on OS X or will I need to run it on Windows?

Teoeo

Postby Teoeo » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:43 am

FalafelWaffle wrote:
annacf wrote:
Teoeo wrote:

Does the exam software run natively on OS X or will I need to run it on Windows?

im pretty sure its native

dood

Postby dood » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:56 am

fatduck wrote:
androstan wrote:
mi-chan17 wrote:

Interestingly, I have yet to see a single person on TLS mention getting need-based aid from GWU :D

I got ~20K need based offer in 2009, chose to defer and to my dismay got nothing in 2010 bc my income in 09 was $100K+, then my 2L (10-11) year, based off of my 2010 income I got $7K need based. HTH.

ku1185

Postby ku1185 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:43 am

dood wrote:I got ~20K need based offer in 2009, chose to defer and to my dismay got nothing in 2010 bc my income in 09 was $100K+, then my 2L (10-11) year, based off of my 2010 income I got $7K need based. HTH.

Hmmm... may I ask what your reason was to defer need-based aid?

predent/prelaw

Postby predent/prelaw » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:06 pm

How does one go about getting on to the IP journal? Do you need to be eligible for the patent bar (like 24 hours bio 6 hour phys/chem) or is anyone eligible to write on?

FalafelWaffle

Postby FalafelWaffle » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:02 pm

I've been told non-IP is f***ed. Is this true?

mi-chan17

Postby mi-chan17 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:38 pm

predent/prelaw wrote:How does one go about getting on to the IP journal? Do you need to be eligible for the patent bar (like 24 hours bio 6 hour phys/chem) or is anyone eligible to write on?

AIPLA (the IP Journal) is filled through the same journal competition as the other journals, and anyone is eligible to try and get on. That being said, their selection process is a bit different than the other journals. Most journals do it 70% grades and 30% writing competition; AIPLA flips it, 30% grades and 70% written submission. AIPLA also requires a personal statement (and they weren't particularly clear about how they weight that with the other factors).

ofthehouse

Postby ofthehouse » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:02 pm

for class of 2014, how long did you guys wait to hear back with a decision?

mi-chan17

Postby mi-chan17 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:41 pm

FalafelWaffle wrote:I've been told non-IP is f***ed. Is this true?

3Ls would know more about this than I would, but I don't think so, no. IP certainly have it easier than the rest of us, in some respects, but we aren't all fucked. ;)

androstan

Postby androstan » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:33 pm

ofthehouse wrote:for class of 2014, how long did you guys wait to hear back with a decision?

Complete 11/23 admitted 1/6.

Peg

Postby Peg » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:50 pm

Thanks for taking questions, 1Ls and 2Ls. You probably won't be able to answer mine, but: does GW typically take a reasonable number of people off the wait list each year? I'm expecting that they do, because they don't offer a lot of $$ and people with the numbers to get into GW w/o scholly will probably get into other T-20 or T-25 schools with some money, so I'm wondering about how that affects their wait lists.

Also, do they ever start offering spots off the wait list as early as April?

Thanks!

mi-chan17

Postby mi-chan17 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:11 pm

I have a few friends that came in off the waitlist, so I know that GW does end up pulling from it. That being said, I'm not sure of the time frame; I will ask those folks and then come back and let you know.

But yes, don't give up hope!

2011Law

Postby 2011Law » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:54 pm

If you are on Law Review can you also be on Moot Court / Mock Trial?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”