G.W. 1L Ready to take questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
uniquelycreated05

New

Re: G.W. 1L Ready to take questions

Post by uniquelycreated05 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:18 pm

I live in NY right now and I am currently applying to many law schools, including GW Law. How is it living in D.C.? Is it as intercative as NYC?

Thank you in advance for all replies ;-)

Naked Dude

Silver

Post by Naked Dude » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:30 pm

uniquelycreated05 wrote:I live in NY right now and I am currently applying to many law schools, including GW Law. How is it living in D.C.? Is it as intercative as NYC?

I think I prefer New York, but D.C. is good in its own right. I don't know what you mean by interactive though. I think if I had to do it over again I would resist the temptation to live in the same neighborhood as the school (or super close) and probably live around Dupont (I mean, I'm 3-4 blocks from the circle, but it doesn't have the same feel out here in the Aston). Commuting sucks but at the same time, when you live right by the school it can make your world feel really small.

queenlizzie13

Silver

Post by queenlizzie13 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:52 am

uniquelycreated05 wrote:I live in NY right now and I am currently applying to many law schools, including GW Law. How is it living in D.C.? Is it as intercative as NYC?

Having never lived in NY I can't speak as to the difference. I am personally loving living in DC...it is a lot easier to go out night than where I am from and there's a ton of stuff to do.

I live close to the school as well and like it. It makes it easy to jump home, exercise, and go to the law school on weekends if I choose. Mostly I study at home though, being at the law school for that long would make me go crazy, I think.

At the same time, I will probably commute next year so as to pay less, plus you can afford a nicer place the further away you live from Foggy Bottom for the same price. But for first year, I think it's nice to be close.

queenlizzie13

Silver

Post by queenlizzie13 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:55 am

Naked Dude wrote:
TheFutureLawyer wrote:
dudders wrote:
androstan wrote:Can anyone comment on Transgrud and Maggs regarding their finals and what they care about and focus on?
Maggs' finals for like the past 20 years are on the portal, along with his grading guides.
I do wish I had Maggs for contracts (I assume from the times I met him that his class is a bit livelier than Wilmarth's, not to say he's a bad teacher, just a bit boring, and he gives a 10 min response to nearly everyone's question).
Man, if there's a livelier professor than Cunningham, then I'd like to see it. No idea how his finals are, but great class
Haha, so true, although my Civ Pro professor is very lively - favorite class in fact. I love Professor Clarke. But Cunningham is awesome too, though sometimes he's a bit hard to follow.

Naked Dude

Silver

Post by Naked Dude » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:39 pm

Yeah much as I like to keep my work at school and my home...home, sometimes being on campus all day will drive you crazy. I try to move around the campus to study like in undergrad so I don't feel as cloistered.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tennisballs

New

Post by tennisballs » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:43 pm

This comment will add nothing to anything..... but:
I LOVE GW.
Last edited by tennisballs on Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dudders

Bronze

Post by dudders » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:21 pm

tennisballs wrote:This comment will add nothing to anything..... but:
I REALLY want to go to GW.

it's all fun and games till you get less than a 3.8 and hate yourself.

TheFutureLawyer

Gold

Post by TheFutureLawyer » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:53 pm

dudders wrote:
tennisballs wrote:This comment will add nothing to anything..... but:
I REALLY want to go to GW.

it's all fun and games till you get less than a 3.8 and hate yourself.
Get less than a 3.8 in UG or in law school?

androstan

Gold

Post by androstan » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:20 pm

I thought an A- or so was good enough to get you in at good biglaw firms.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mi-chan17

Bronze

Post by mi-chan17 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:21 pm

androstan wrote:I thought an A- or so was good enough to get you in at good biglaw firms.
Necessary, but unfortunately no longer sufficient.

dudders

Bronze

Post by dudders » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:29 pm

androstan wrote:I thought an A- or so was good enough to get you in at good biglaw firms.
Judging by this year's OCI bloodbath, no.

mi-chan17

Bronze

Post by mi-chan17 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:58 pm

Bumping this for the class of 2015 folks who have questions.

Naked Dude

Silver

Post by Naked Dude » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:35 am

mi-chan17 wrote:Bumping this for the class of 2015 folks who have questions.
Yeah ask away 0Ls

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Naked Dude

Silver

Post by Naked Dude » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:38 am

Actually I have a question--where do we check grades? Not the portal apparently

mi-chan17

Bronze

Post by mi-chan17 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:58 am

Naked Dude wrote:Actually I have a question--where do we check grades? Not the portal apparently
You check your grades on banweb (where you checked your financial aid documents). Sign in, click on the "student records and registration" tab, click on "student records menu", and then go to "display grades".

Naked Dude

Silver

Post by Naked Dude » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:30 pm

mi-chan17 wrote:
Naked Dude wrote:Actually I have a question--where do we check grades? Not the portal apparently
You check your grades on banweb (where you checked your financial aid documents). Sign in, click on the "student records and registration" tab, click on "student records menu", and then go to "display grades".
Got it thanks!

zylaxice

New

Post by zylaxice » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:17 pm

Did any of you go to the Admitted Student/Alumni Receptions that they have around the country (assuming these existed in the past)? Is it worth attending if I am considering GW? Anything interesting to be learned? Positive experience?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

mi-chan17

Bronze

Post by mi-chan17 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:27 pm

zylaxice wrote:Did any of you go to the Admitted Student/Alumni Receptions that they have around the country (assuming these existed in the past)? Is it worth attending if I am considering GW? Anything interesting to be learned? Positive experience?
I went to the one near my undergrad when I was a 0L. I don't think I learned a ton about the school itself, although all the faculty that were there were very nice. I did meet some of the folks that ended up being my classmates, and that they were easygoing and all that was a selling point. I also thought it was useful to have the opportunity to talk to alumni who had ended up in the area, ask about how transportable the degree was and all that, even though I'm sure that they were trying to sell us and I know the graduated before the economy went down.

Also, hey, free food and beer/wine. Can't go too wrong with that.

So, on the whole, positive experience. Necessary for making an educated decision? Probably not.

danitt

Gold

Post by danitt » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:44 pm

I don't know if this has been asked before but does the Presidential schol that comes with Binding ED have any grade stipulations? Have you heard of anyone losing their scholarship?

zylaxice

New

Post by zylaxice » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:16 pm

mi-chan17 wrote: I went to the one near my undergrad when I was a 0L. I don't think I learned a ton about the school itself, although all the faculty that were there were very nice. I did meet some of the folks that ended up being my classmates, and that they were easygoing and all that was a selling point. I also thought it was useful to have the opportunity to talk to alumni who had ended up in the area, ask about how transportable the degree was and all that, even though I'm sure that they were trying to sell us and I know the graduated before the economy went down.

Also, hey, free food and beer/wine. Can't go too wrong with that.

So, on the whole, positive experience. Necessary for making an educated decision? Probably not.
Thank you. That's about what I expected from their summary of the event, but glad to see it confirmed.

dudders

Bronze

Post by dudders » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:24 pm

danitt wrote:I don't know if this has been asked before but does the Presidential schol that comes with Binding ED have any grade stipulations? Have you heard of anyone losing their scholarship?
I've heard it's 3.0 but that's through the grapevine. And yes.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mi-chan17

Bronze

Post by mi-chan17 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:31 pm

dudders wrote:
danitt wrote:I don't know if this has been asked before but does the Presidential schol that comes with Binding ED have any grade stipulations? Have you heard of anyone losing their scholarship?
I've heard it's 3.0 but that's through the grapevine. And yes.
I knew there was a 3.0 requirement for the RD scholarships. It's for the ED scholarships, too? That sucks.

Bobby Jones

New

Post by Bobby Jones » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:15 pm

Actually, there are no gpa stips for the Presidential Scholarship. You just have to remain in good academic standing, which basically means you can't plagarize or cheat. RD folks have the 3.0 stip.

HyeMart

Bronze

Post by HyeMart » Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:49 pm

starting this year there is no gpa requirement on any merit scholarships

paul34

Bronze

Post by paul34 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:00 pm

Last edited by paul34 on Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”