G.W. 1L Ready to take questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Naked Dude

Silver

Re: G.W. 1L Ready to take questions

Post by Naked Dude » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:31 pm

Either way I apologize. I should have thought my words over a little more carefully. I meant no offense to any one, and offer my sincerest apologies to anyone offended. Just like a judge should avoid even the appearance of impropriety, I try to live by the code that I should avoid even a semblance of being a dick. I value the advice and wisdom of everyone on this board.

schooner

Bronze

Post by schooner » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:22 pm

Last edited by schooner on Sun May 03, 2015 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

justhockey31

Bronze

Post by justhockey31 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:23 pm

I think regardless of age I am going to sign up for section 15 because mornings and I do not get along

redfern86

New

Post by redfern86 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:48 pm

How did first semester exams go? Were they by subject or section? How were they distributed over the 10 days?

Naked Dude

Silver

Post by Naked Dude » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:48 pm

schooner wrote:
Naked Dude wrote:Either way I apologize. I should have thought my words over a little more carefully. I meant no offense to any one, and offer my sincerest apologies to anyone offended. Just like a judge should avoid even the appearance of impropriety, I try to live by the code that I should avoid even a semblance of being a dick. I value the advice and wisdom of everyone on this board.
I was messing with you and I'm sure nobody took personal offense. Didn't mean to freak you out! Sorry my crack led to sort of derailing this thread.

It's a good question for the current students nonetheless: how do people within each section get along and whether naked dude should avoid/sign up for Section 15. On the one hand, no 9am class would be nice and Section 15 might be easier, but on the other hand, maybe he'd rather be in a younger section. (There's nothing wrong with that, you like who you like. Though mingling with people not your age would be good practice for when you're in a law firm.)
Or for sure, I have plenty of older friends, I guess it's just an irrational concern. I haven't taken a 9 am class since freshman year of college, and all of my internships have had lax start times. I've only done the occasional morning shift at part time jobs. Dunno how I'm going to adjust in the "real world."

I see two possibilities though. With afternoon classes, I figure I should use the morning to work, but invariably never do so. Psychologically, I find it's good for me to get class over with as early as possible. I wish I could swing evening classes. Hats off to part-timers, I cannot concentrate in a class that starts after 7.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dudders

Bronze

Post by dudders » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:36 pm

redfern86 wrote:How did first semester exams go? Were they by subject or section? How were they distributed over the 10 days?
Every 1L section has identical exams schedules, and all exams were held in the 2 p.m. time slot (unless you had section 15 night classes, those were then night exams).

Last day of class is a Thursday. Then you have Wednesday Contracts, Friday Crim, Tuesday Civ Pro, Thursday Torts.

dudders

Bronze

Post by dudders » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:37 pm

dudders wrote:
redfern86 wrote:How did first semester exams go? Were they by subject or section? How were they distributed over the 10 days?
Every 1L section has identical exams schedules, and all exams were held in the 2 p.m. time slot (unless you had section 15 night classes, those were then night exams).

Last day of class is a Thursday. Then you have Wednesday Contracts, Friday Crim, Tuesday Civ Pro, Thursday Torts.
This information is on the website, btw.

redfern86

New

Post by redfern86 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:39 am

dudders wrote:
dudders wrote:

This information is on the website, btw.
Thanks for the info. I wasn't able to find it on the website... can you post the link?

queenlizzie13

Silver

Post by queenlizzie13 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:12 am

Here is the link. Click on Fall 2011 Schedule of Classes and Exams:

--LinkRemoved--

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

schooner

Bronze

Post by schooner » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:52 am

Last edited by schooner on Sun May 03, 2015 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheFutureLawyer

Gold

Post by TheFutureLawyer » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:28 pm

schooner wrote: What about self-publishing in your own blog - does that carry any credibility? (Could you put that on your resume with a straight face?)
As a 0L, I can't imagine anyone anywhere caring about a student self-publishing on their blog. Though maybe the best thing you ever wrote was for your blog, in which case you could use that as a sample of your work I guess.

schooner

Bronze

Post by schooner » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:44 pm

TheFutureLawyer wrote:
schooner wrote: What about self-publishing in your own blog - does that carry any credibility? (Could you put that on your resume with a straight face?)
As a 0L, I can't imagine anyone anywhere caring about a student self-publishing on their blog. Though maybe the best thing you ever wrote was for your blog, in which case you could use that as a sample of your work I guess.
I am quoting advice from a self-purported law professor to start your own blog, but I saw it posted on xoxohth. (After skimming through the thread devoted to xoxo vs TLS, I feel like I have to say that I don't usually go to that site.)

sparcarc

New

Post by sparcarc » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:50 pm

Hello folks,

it seems that pretty much every apt built in 1960's and 50's (which are the only ones fitting my budget) have had lead paint used. Is anyone bothered by this by any chance? lol I just found out about it before I was about to sign a lease.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Corwin

Bronze

Post by Corwin » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:17 pm

sparcarc wrote:Hello folks,

it seems that pretty much every apt built in 1960's and 50's (which are the only ones fitting my budget) have had lead paint used. Is anyone bothered by this by any chance? lol I just found out about it before I was about to sign a lease.
Unless you have children, a pet, or are planning to eat paint chips, lead paint is not an issue. Some buildings have probably be deleaded as well.

sparcarc

New

Post by sparcarc » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:09 pm

Hello guys, just looking for collective wisdom -

I'm trying to choose a place to live. It'll be either the Aston or an apartment.
Cost-wise, with everything including utilities factored in, it seems that there is only $4 difference / day between the two (the Aston's more expensive. $54 vs $50) It still amounts to a difference of $120 / month but considering everything else, that amount does not seem to be a factor important enough in making my decision making here.

Other than the advantage of living with fellow law students, is there an advantage in living at the Aston?
The distance seems to be almost exactly the same and the year the buildings were built are not too different from each other.

I really apologize in advance for posting in two separate GW threads - it seems that I'll need to make a decision within a few hours from now. (The unit owner I was negotiating with just sent an email getting ready for lease-signing and 30 minutes after that, I received an email from GW Housing that there is a space available.)

redfern86

New

Post by redfern86 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:05 am

0L disclaimer but:
I'm planning on living in the Aston, and one reason why I chose it over another apartment besides living with other law students is the fact that the rooms are furnished, so I don't need to worry about furniture shopping on top of everything else during this transition.

So I would consider if you already have or need to buy furniture, what kind of Internet connection is at the other place, and if there's any kind of security at the other apartment. Another advantage to the Aston in my eyes is that I don't need to worry about paying rent or utilities, because I'm paying it at the beginning of the semester, probably through financial services along with my tuition.

I've heard mixed reviews about living with tons of other law students. On the upside, easier to meet people. On the downside, hard to get away from the stress of law school when that's all everyone wants to talk about. Your choice, and you can't really make a wrong one. Good luck

justhockey31

Bronze

Post by justhockey31 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:09 pm

Does any one have any info on the Elise apartment building?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JAGX

New

Post by JAGX » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:32 pm

WOW I just got a call today saying I was accepted from the wait-list :shock:

I'm just trying to decide if it would be worth it for me. I had been accepted to GM as well, but the tuition was too high and I didn't get any scholarships. Is it easy for DC to get in-state status for law students and is there an in-state discount?

I'm currently set to go to the University at Buffalo Law School which is ranked who knows where, but the cost is about 14.5k/yr after scholarship and then rent is like ~500/mo for a good apartment near campus. That would be approximately ~45k for 3 years.

GW is like what, 44k/yr and rent is about 1200-1500/mo (I saw the rent and my Buffalonian eye almost exploded out of my head)! So that's about 160+k for 3 years. I'll be 22 next month, and I don't know if it would be worth it to go up to my eyeballs in debt to attend GW??? I know it's high-ranking, but when cost is an issue is not being one the top elite schools worth it?

TheFutureLawyer

Gold

Post by TheFutureLawyer » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:20 pm

JAGX wrote:WOW I just got a call today saying I was accepted from the wait-list :shock:

I'm just trying to decide if it would be worth it for me. I had been accepted to GM as well, but the tuition was too high and I didn't get any scholarships. Is it easy for DC to get in-state status for law students and is there an in-state discount?

I'm currently set to go to the University at Buffalo Law School which is ranked who knows where, but the cost is about 14.5k/yr after scholarship and then rent is like ~500/mo for a good apartment near campus. That would be approximately ~45k for 3 years.

GW is like what, 44k/yr and rent is about 1200-1500/mo (I saw the rent and my Buffalonian eye almost exploded out of my head)! So that's about 160+k for 3 years. I'll be 22 next month, and I don't know if it would be worth it to go up to my eyeballs in debt to attend GW??? I know it's high-ranking, but when cost is an issue is not being one the top elite schools worth it?
Jesus dude, read something about the school if you're interested. It's a private school, so there is no in-state tuition. And second, GW is not located in a state. The full COA is about 215k.

mi-chan17

Bronze

Post by mi-chan17 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:13 pm

JAGX wrote:WOW I just got a call today saying I was accepted from the wait-list :shock:

There's a lot to talk about here. I'll start with the math, though you were undoubtedly correct in saying that GW would be more expensive:
1) Buffalo will be at least $61,500 over three years (based on the numbers you gave us for rent and tuition) NOT including the rest of your cost of living (food, clothes, travel, health care, etc.). You're probably looking at closer to at least $90,000 once you factor all that stuff in. (TLS' profile estimates it at $40k/yr for everything, so maybe start there and subtract what ever scholarship you have.)
2) GW's cost of attendance is estimated at around $210,000-215,000 (including cost of living).

Whether or not GW is worth that much money for you depends on a few things. First, where you want to practice and what kind of law you want to work in. Second, how debt-averse/risk-averse you are. Third, assorted other preferences (big city, small town, etc.)

Generally, I advise against going to GW at sticker. $210k is a lot of money. However, given the school and debt we're comparing it against here (Buffalo for around $90k), I think the decision becomes a lot more about what your preferences are.

So...where do you want to live, and what do you want to be when you grow up?

JAGX

New

Post by JAGX » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:09 pm

mi-chan17 wrote:

There's a lot to talk about here. I'll start with the math, though you were undoubtedly correct in saying that GW would be more expensive:
1) Buffalo will be at least $61,500 over three years (based on the numbers you gave us for rent and tuition) NOT including the rest of your cost of living (food, clothes, travel, health care, etc.). You're probably looking at closer to at least $90,000 once you factor all that stuff in. (TLS' profile estimates it at $40k/yr for everything, so maybe start there and subtract what ever scholarship you have.)
2) GW's cost of attendance is estimated at around $210,000-215,000 (including cost of living).

Whether or not GW is worth that much money for you depends on a few things. First, where you want to practice and what kind of law you want to work in. Second, how debt-averse/risk-averse you are. Third, assorted other preferences (big city, small town, etc.)

Generally, I advise against going to GW at sticker. $210k is a lot of money. However, given the school and debt we're comparing it against here (Buffalo for around $90k), I think the decision becomes a lot more about what your preferences are.

So...where do you want to live, and what do you want to be when you grow up?
Yea sorry that was a rushed post, my numbers were off :p

Yes, these are questions I have been asked often, but I don't really have good strong answers to all of them. I don't know where I want to live as I've been in Buffalo for my whole life, although I do know that Buffalo isn't exactly bursting with opportunities and the weather is terrible :lol:

I also have not yet decided which type of law I want to practice. Some people know from day one, but I will probably need to take a few classes and see what I naturally fit into. I'm leaning towards criminal law, which UB is good for, but if I go elsewhere I'd probably want to pick a field with greater returns to pay off the loans.

I do know that I'm not very fond of risk and that these loans are essentially gambling with money I don't have. But, I am also aware that I won't have as much potential earning power if I don't take a risk and go to a higher tier school. The main issue for me atm is really the only issue I have a firm hold on, and that is I'd like to earn more after I graduate (who wouldn't).

The problem comes in with the ability to actually find the advertised median 160k salary from GW. Being at a more competitive school, idk if I will make it into the top X% of people to deserve a six figure salary, and I'm not sure exactly how many people do earn that much and where to find such info? If I don't have a decent shot at getting a considerable salary to pay off the loans, it would likely defeat the purpose of trying to aim high...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

JAGX

New

Post by JAGX » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:55 am

Oh, also, I live close to UB and will commute for the first year, bringing my total expenses to about 75k for 3 years (assuming 15k [generous] living expenses for the second two years and 15k tuition for three years).

I would think of it like 65k UB vs 220k GW.

I also have to weigh my chances of landing a job from GW that makes that investment worth it...

TheFutureLawyer

Gold

Post by TheFutureLawyer » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:41 pm

nm

Naked Dude

Silver

Post by Naked Dude » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:15 pm

So thus far everything is good to go, in terms of entrance counseling and promissory notes being signed for my subsidized and unsubsidized Staffords. I'm unsure of GradPLUS however. I have some (not a whole lot, but some) money saved up for cost of living, so I'm holding off on finalizing the GradPLUS paperwork. I know you can borrow less than the maximum, so that's not a problem, but does anyone know if you can apply for GradPLUS later in the year (say January or so)? Or can you borrow a little bit upfront and ask for more (under the max, obviously) later in the year. I don't want to pay an origination fee/start incurring interest before I'm even sure I need the money (for this year at least).

schooner

Bronze

Post by schooner » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:22 pm

Q for the current students: did you guys go to every single class? If you couldn't avoid missing a few, were you able to figure out what you need to know for the exam using old outlines? During office hours were professors willing to tell you what you missed? Are classmates helpful & willing to share their notes?

I want to attend 100% of my classes, but it doesn't look possible at this point :-( I am very worried this is going to screw me up.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”