G.W. 1L Ready to take questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
mazporrr

New

G.W. 1L Ready to take questions

Post by mazporrr » Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:15 pm

Finally...I get my chance to partake in the 'ready to take questions' forum!! Feel free to ask, Ill try to get back to you guys asap.

haus

Gold

Re: G.W. 1L Ready to take questions

Post by haus » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:58 pm

What, if any, interaction have you observed between the FT and PT programs?

justhockey31

Bronze

Post by justhockey31 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:51 pm

Do students live close to campus or are they pretty dispersed throughout the city?

umichgrad

Bronze

Post by umichgrad » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:25 pm

Another 1L here, I can chime in. I would say most students live within 1 mile of school, though many live in neighborhoods as diverse as Eastern Market, Arlington, Georgetown, and Penn Quarter. The school is centrally located and easy to get to by multiple forms of public transportation, so there are lots of options outside Foggy Bottom.

Teoeo

Silver

Post by Teoeo » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:30 pm

Hah, 3rd 1L here, GW party!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Miranda 18

New

Post by Miranda 18 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:48 pm

For those of you who are not originally from DC, how are you enjoying the city? Is getting around easy enough?

As for living situations do most of you have roommates or live alone?

mazporrr

New

Post by mazporrr » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:51 pm

Sorry for the delay (Its labor day weekend after all!!).

My section interacts with the part timers since we have classes late in the evenings. They are in many ways just like us full timers---stressed!!! Some work and go to school while others prefer the reduced work load in the PT program. And yes, we all interact well!!

Most of the 1L's I've met dorm in. Here and there I meet some students who live close by in the D.C. area whereas a few others live in Northern Virginia.

Teoeo

Silver

Post by Teoeo » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:04 pm

Miranda 18 wrote:For those of you who are not originally from DC, how are you enjoying the city? Is getting around easy enough?

As for living situations do most of you have roommates or live alone?
I am enjoying DC way more than I expected. It is super easy to get around with the metro, although it can be a little pricey. I live alone in The Aston as do quite a few other 1Ls. It is pretty awesome actually, my studio is massive (although I got the biggest model, the vary a little for no particular reason). Only 6 blocks or so from school and the AC is amazing!

Miranda 18

New

Post by Miranda 18 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:45 am

I guess this question would be a little more difficult to answer for 1Ls but do you guys feel as though you are at a huge advantage to DC jobs more so than other schools (besides Georgetown)? Looking at other threads it seems as though DC was the toughest markets for people to find jobs even at the very top schools. Do you think this is because DC is simply not hiring as much or are GW students getting preference because of their home ties?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:53 am

Last edited by dood on Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Teoeo

Silver

Post by Teoeo » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:40 pm

Miranda 18 wrote:I guess this question would be a little more difficult to answer for 1Ls but do you guys feel as though you are at a huge advantage to DC jobs more so than other schools (besides Georgetown)? Looking at other threads it seems as though DC was the toughest markets for people to find jobs even at the very top schools. Do you think this is because DC is simply not hiring as much or are GW students getting preference because of their home ties?
Although it is early, I have noticed that being here provides for opportunities that non-locals simply don't have. This is especially evident with yearlong internships or even networking via student organizations. For example, I joined the Hispanic Law Student Association and the vice-president, who works full time at the white house, told the 2+3Ls that wanted to apply for a job at the white house to send him an email so he could provide some tips. The point is that when everyone you know has connections in DC networking is easier.

Miranda 18

New

Post by Miranda 18 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:50 pm

Teoeo wrote:
Miranda 18 wrote:I guess this question would be a little more difficult to answer for 1Ls but do you guys feel as though you are at a huge advantage to DC jobs more so than other schools (besides Georgetown)? Looking at other threads it seems as though DC was the toughest markets for people to find jobs even at the very top schools. Do you think this is because DC is simply not hiring as much or are GW students getting preference because of their home ties?
Although it is early, I have noticed that being here provides for opportunities that non-locals simply don't have. This is especially evident with yearlong internships or even networking via student organizations. For example, I joined the Hispanic Law Student Association and the vice-president, who works full time at the white house, told the 2+3Ls that wanted to apply for a job at the white house to send him an email so he could provide some tips. The point is that when everyone you know has connections in DC networking is easier.

Wow sounds like he has an awesome opportunity! This is something really exciting for me to hear especially since I am almost positive I want to work in Public Interest/Government. Do you think you will do an internship during the school year? Do you think most people you have met were able to keep up with grades?

Thanks again for your comments!
Last edited by Miranda 18 on Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Teoeo

Silver

Post by Teoeo » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:52 pm

I will certainly do an internship during the year (2nd year). I am also interested in government work and GW has an externship program where you can get credit for working full time at a government agency for a semester. This is the center of government which is one of the reasons I came here. Whats great about that for people like us is that you can get a job here and then transfer anywhere in the country later on (through the agency).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mi-chan17

Bronze

Post by mi-chan17 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:37 pm

Teoeo, we should talk about the HLSA meeting (couldn't go due to NSLA conflict) and you can tell me how it was. :D

I agree that there's an advantage, especially during the school year, to us (and Gtown) just because of access. The internships that exist during summer don't vanish during the year, and there's less competition for them. And the outside placement program Teoeo talked about is great because of the credit hours you can receive for doing exactly what you WANT to be doing, which is working public sector/public interest. I think that we get a lot of students (like me, and Teoeo, and all the others that went to the PI orientation) who self-select into government, due to location, and so there's the benefit of having a CDO that has experience placing people in those jobs (there are two CDO counselors who specialize in either public sector or public interest).

The 2Ls/3Ls I've spoken to who've done outside placement were able to keep up on their grades. I mean, those with the most prestigious placements tended to have the better grades anyway. But, in addition to that, because that counts as part of your credit hours you're taking fewer regular classes (there is a class that goes with the internship, but it's once a week or so). And, hopefully, by the time the issue is relevant to me (next year), I'll have figured out how best to study and manage my time. ;)
dood wrote:did u enjoy bar reviews so far?
Oh yes. Yes I did. :D

Teoeo

Silver

Post by Teoeo » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:23 am

Ya, come to the next meeting, HLSA is awesome, they really care about the members =)

kwhiteside

New

Post by kwhiteside » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:56 pm

I'm visiting in mid-October. Is there anything in particular I shouldn't miss? I'll be in DC Thursday-Saturday.

Thanks!

Teoeo

Silver

Post by Teoeo » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:31 pm

I am not sure what to look at specifically, but it might be a good idea for you to come to a class if they let you.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lovelaw27

Bronze

Post by lovelaw27 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:38 pm

I am going to be applying to GW as a spring transfer. Do you know anything about transfer admissions especially spring transfer? If so do you think it is easier to transfer in the spring or fall? Do you know what admissions is looking for in a personal statement. Also are job prospects better in NY or DC coming from GW? How do you like the people at GW? Is there anything interesting going on in DC with the elections coming up and everything? Do many students go to the rallies in DC?

Teoeo

Silver

Post by Teoeo » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:59 pm

lovelaw27 wrote:I am going to be applying to GW as a spring transfer. Do you know anything about transfer admissions especially spring transfer? If so do you think it is easier to transfer in the spring or fall? Do you know what admissions is looking for in a personal statement. Also are job prospects better in NY or DC coming from GW? How do you like the people at GW? Is there anything interesting going on in DC with the elections coming up and everything? Do many students go to the rallies in DC?

I will try my best to answer the bolded parts since I am in no position to answer the rest.

1. Are job prospects better in NY or DC coming from GW?

Normally I wouldn't answer this question since I am only a 1L, but it seems fairly clear to me that GW's career prospects are clearly better in DC than in NY. That being said, NY certainly isn't a closed market to GW grads, and quite a few end up there. In the end, however, I would probably be wary of choosing GW over a school like Fordham were I dead set on NY.

2. How do you like the people at GW?

The people here are absolutely awesome. GW has a great atmosphere and has a lot less drama than I anticipated. What I have been especially happy with are my professors (I might just be lucky) who are funny, engaging and not UBER intense.

3. Is there anything interesting going on in DC with the elections coming up?

I guess that depends on what you think is interesting. Today we had a huge democratic rally hosted by a bunch of union workers in response to the recent rally done by the tea-party. We also have Jon Stewart's rally coming up later this month.... I think the basic answer is that there is a lot of stuff going on, but I don't know if it will calm down after November.

Do many students go to the rallies in DC?

No idea, I'd assume some do, but probably not very many.

androstan

Gold

Post by androstan » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:46 pm

Can any students or recent grads with hard science/engr undergrad degrees comment on prospects in patent/IP law coming from GW? Particularly those of you with chem/chem engr undergrad.

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:35 pm

Last edited by dood on Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:40 pm

Last edited by dood on Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mi-chan17

Bronze

Post by mi-chan17 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:53 pm

I would go to bar review tonight, to celebrate the end of my battle with Memo 2, but our adjunct is having us over.

airyshadows

New

Post by airyshadows » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:19 am

To Androstan -

I'm a GW 2L, and was Mech. Engineering undergrad. A lot of my friends at GW happened to be in IP, and almost 100 percent of us have found summer associate positions - GW is so well known for IP that you really can't go wrong here. Plus, GW has a summer study-abroad program in Munich just for IP that's supposed to be pretty incredible. And of course, the class selection and professors are just amazing.

I can go into more detail if you want! :) Let me know.

androstan

Gold

Post by androstan » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:39 pm

airyshadows wrote:To Androstan -

I'm a GW 2L, and was Mech. Engineering undergrad. A lot of my friends at GW happened to be in IP, and almost 100 percent of us have found summer associate positions - GW is so well known for IP that you really can't go wrong here. Plus, GW has a summer study-abroad program in Munich just for IP that's supposed to be pretty incredible. And of course, the class selection and professors are just amazing.

I can go into more detail if you want! :) Let me know.
More detail = better

Do they look at your undergrad transcripts for SA's? Or just law school grades? How many chem. engrs do you know?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”