G.W. 1L Ready to take questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
BrianFratusz

New

Re: G.W. 1L Ready to take questions

Post by BrianFratusz » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:35 pm

I know a student who has a B.S. in chemical engineering. She's working at a law firm in Denver because she wants to go to her home state of Colorado.

fltanglab

Silver

Post by fltanglab » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:05 am

mi-chan17 wrote:
thatgingergirl wrote: Yeah, I'm fairly certain I'm patent bar eligible. I'm not directly eligible under the specific majors requirement, but instead based upon my chemistry/physics/bio credit hours. (I think that's like category B for eligibility... anyway).
I think being patent bar eligible, even as a Category B, will be useful in combination with a degree familiarizing you with the kind of concepts patents deal with. That said, though, I'm not the expert and I wouldn't know how your degree will compare to EE/CS undergrad degrees or the Bio/Chem Ph.Ds.

To get you better advice, I'd actually recommend you start (or find, I haven't run a search) a more general thread on non-EE/CS folks in patent law. There are plenty of IP people on the board, but right now they just might not see your question because it's in the GW thread and they aren't GW students/alums. GW certainly has a good IP program, and plenty of alumni/students who specialize in it, but we aren't the only school with patent students, so it's worth asking around.
I can speak to this. It's much harder to find a job if you don't have an engineering degree. I'm similar to you, although I haven't the slightest clue what your masters does and at least my undergraduate degree is recognizable. If you have work experience, your life will be a lot easier. I am straight K-JD and it was a bit of a struggle. However, I don't know if I am considered typical among people with no work experience and just a bachelor's in a non-category A field. I would not have been surprised if I had struck out at OCI. You will need to work much, much harder and smarter (barring stellar grades) to find a job to get one. I made sure I was way ahead of everyone else every step of the way. And if you don't have that type of drive, striking out is a more probable outcome. I have to admit that a lot of my initial successes built upon one another to make me a more attractive candidate. There's a remarkable amount of luck (or fate) involved.

Also, you'll want to apply broadly. And take advantage of every possible opportunity here at GW. We have a ton of resources, but you have to know how to use them.

elcali

New

Post by elcali » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:22 pm

Last edited by elcali on Sun May 04, 2014 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

iskim88

Bronze

Post by iskim88 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:37 pm

Are the employment prospects really inflated due to the IP people like what the TLSers say?

mi-chan17

Bronze

Post by mi-chan17 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:49 pm

elcali wrote: masters in EE (signals & comm) from UCLA; BS in another engineering field
patent agent
aim to practice in DC or California

. . . .

Any other advice (life@GW, study tips...etc) highly appreciated
I'm not an IP person, so I'll leave most of those questions to people who know more than I do on the topic. I'll stick with one or two things: 1) with a masters in EE and as a patent agent, you may be the very definition of IPSECURE; 2) Life at GW is great. I sincerely enjoyed my time there. People were pretty friendly, the professors were by-and-large easy to talk to (though of course there were a few that were...well, let's just say 'less so'). In terms of pure experience, I thought it was a good three years. I'm not sure it's a $250k three years, but that's a different question.
iskim88 wrote:Are the employment prospects really inflated due to the IP people like what the TLSers say?
I think it definitely helps GW's numbers. I don't think it's as severe as has been insinuated (the more misleading numbers are, in my opinion, due to the school-funded jobs), but it is still something to think about.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

fltanglab

Silver

Post by fltanglab » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:22 pm

elcali wrote:Hi GW IP people please give some advice for 0L here:

masters in EE (signals & comm) from UCLA; BS in another engineering field
patent agent
aim to practice in DC or California

How is the outlook for IP people (EE/CS) at GW? Are they competing with the PTO examiners for same openings? Where do people usually go (PTO or private)

GW@ sticker worth it for IP? Shoud I upgrade my EE knowledge (additional hardware/CS classes before/during law school?)

Patent area outlook (somewhat worried at how things are going to change in 3 years)

Any other advice (life@GW, study tips...etc) highly appreciated
EE is super solid and desirable, so you should be okay. You can practice wherever unless you don't have a particularly good personality (for Big Law). I do know EE/CS people who struck out at OCI (combination of below median grades and bad fit). Obviously I don't know you, so I can't speak on your personality.

I'm paying sticker, but cost was never a concern for me. If you think California is a better bet, you should try Stanford or Boalt first because they're the giants on the west coast. You can't really be a PTO attorney straight out of law school. It's a pretty competitive gig. So most people go private (all ranges of firms and I know at least one person in-house). And you're always competing with PTO examiners. Always.

It depends on if you are going into pros or lit for whether or not you should update your knowledge in the field. I wouldn't bother if you think you had a good background to begin with.

You'll get plenty of advice if you come here and take advantage of upperclassmen knowledge.

checkin2014

New

Post by checkin2014 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:46 am

Hello GW upperclassman, I have some questions for you:
Would mind sharing experiences for corporate law for GW graduates?
How are the placements for NYC big law?

I have the IP background (science undergraduate+engineering master) but I am not that sure I want to practice IP law ( as a premature 0L).
Also, I have a strong interests in corporate law (2 years WE in finance). So I'd like to learn if I have the same/similar chances to land big-law for corporate as of for IP?

Thanks ahead for your help :D

Pragmatic Gun

Silver

Post by Pragmatic Gun » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:23 pm

Hello! member of the class of 2017 checking in. Goals are to work for Big Gov. For those looking to work at the DOJ, how confident do you feel getting work there this year? I'd love to do some prosecutorial work (my dream is to be a prosecutor at an international tribunal or the ICC). What other options should I aim for, in your opinion?

fltanglab

Silver

Post by fltanglab » Thu May 01, 2014 4:34 pm

checkin2014 wrote:Hello GW upperclassman, I have some questions for you:
Would mind sharing experiences for corporate law for GW graduates?
How are the placements for NYC big law?

I have the IP background (science undergraduate+engineering master) but I am not that sure I want to practice IP law ( as a premature 0L).
Also, I have a strong interests in corporate law (2 years WE in finance). So I'd like to learn if I have the same/similar chances to land big-law for corporate as of for IP?

Thanks ahead for your help :D
Corporate is going to be harder than IP. The people I know who landed big law in corporate were all around/inside the top 15%, at the very least top third. People below or at median can get IP biglaw with the right demonstrable interest. There's no comparison. Plus you'll be competing with all of your classmates for corporate and only a handful in IP.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Teoeo

Silver

Post by Teoeo » Mon May 05, 2014 5:50 pm

Pragmatic Gun wrote:Hello! member of the class of 2017 checking in. Goals are to work for Big Gov. For those looking to work at the DOJ, how confident do you feel getting work there this year? I'd love to do some prosecutorial work (my dream is to be a prosecutor at an international tribunal or the ICC). What other options should I aim for, in your opinion?
Getting big-gov is doable, but the DOJ in particular is super hard. I recommend you create a list of alternatives. Eg.

If you are only interested in criminal stuff you could do State AG, state/county DA, etc.

If you are interested in other forms of prosecution you could do: DOL, EEOC, NLRB, EPA, etc. (pretty much any regulatory agency).

If you don't have to be a prosecutor you could work in all sorts of random agencies like Legislative Counsel (state/federal), DOD, DOE, Federal Defenders Office, US Post Office, ED, DOS, etc.
Last edited by Teoeo on Mon May 05, 2014 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pragmatic Gun

Silver

Post by Pragmatic Gun » Mon May 05, 2014 6:49 pm

Teoeo wrote:
Pragmatic Gun wrote:Hello! member of the class of 2017 checking in. Goals are to work for Big Gov. For those looking to work at the DOJ, how confident do you feel getting work there this year? I'd love to do some prosecutorial work (my dream is to be a prosecutor at an international tribunal or the ICC). What other options should I aim for, in your opinion?
Getting big-gov is doable, but the DOJ in particular is super hard. I recommend you create a list of alternatives. Eg.

If you are only interested in criminal stuff you could do AG, state/county DA, etc.

If you are interested in other forms of prosecution you could do: DOL, EEOC, NLRB, EPA, etc. (pretty much any regulatory agency).

If you don't have to be a prosecutor you could work in all sorts of random agencies like Legislative Counsel (state/federal), DOD, DOE, Federal Defenders Office, US Post Office, ED, DOS, etc.
Oh, thanks, I didn't know other agencies did prosecutorial work besides the DOJ. By AG, you mean state AG?

Teoeo

Silver

Post by Teoeo » Mon May 05, 2014 7:14 pm

Pragmatic Gun wrote:
Teoeo wrote:

If you are only interested in criminal stuff you could do AG, state/county DA, etc.

Oh, thanks, I didn't know other agencies did prosecutorial work besides the DOJ. By AG, you mean state AG?
Yes sorry, I meant state AG. Also, the prosecutorial work those other agencies do is administrative (administrative hearings, not jury trials).

Pragmatic Gun

Silver

Post by Pragmatic Gun » Mon May 05, 2014 7:26 pm

Thank you. I have a jumping off point for more research. One final question: what exit options do people have in those careers, whether in the private sphere or to other more "prestigious" agencies like the DOJ or into the non-profit sphere?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Teoeo

Silver

Post by Teoeo » Mon May 05, 2014 7:50 pm

Pragmatic Gun wrote:Thank you. I have a jumping off point for more research. One final question: what exit options do people have in those careers, whether in the private sphere or to other more "prestigious" agencies like the DOJ or into the non-profit sphere?
Well it depends on the agency you work at. If you work at the NLRB , for example, you pretty much have a guaranteed job in the private sector working in employer-side labor law (firms like Jackson Lewis). Overall, you will have great exit options into the private sector in most fields.

collegebum1989

Bronze

Post by collegebum1989 » Wed May 07, 2014 1:10 pm

Had a question for the IP folks at GW:

I have an engineering background (BS/MS in Biomedical Engineering) and 1 year WE in IT/technology consulting. Looking to start the PT program this fall and will have a USPTO Registration Number by the time I start (taking the Patent Bar in 3 weeks).

Goal after LS is biglaw patent litigation in a GP firm (Kirkland, Wilmer Hale, Quinn, etc). Will going part-time hurt my chances at these firms since they follow more traditional recruitment (compared to IP boutiques)?

Thanks!

redsoxrox

New

Post by redsoxrox » Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:34 am

Does anyone have any general advice on clerkships? I have a high 3.8x and I'm wondering what I'm competitive for. Is there something I should be doing during the summer to prepare? Does GW keep a list of alumni currently clerking that I can reach out to? Thanks!

mi-chan17

Bronze

Post by mi-chan17 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:16 pm

redsoxrox wrote:Does anyone have any general advice on clerkships? I have a high 3.8x and I'm wondering what I'm competitive for. Is there something I should be doing during the summer to prepare? Does GW keep a list of alumni currently clerking that I can reach out to? Thanks!
The clerkship office has a thing online that has all the recent grads and where they've clerked. It goes back, like, ten years. If you have any general questions, though, I'm currently clerking and might have a little insight.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

WestWingWatcher

Bronze

Post by WestWingWatcher » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:50 am

I know I have ran into the answer to this question somewhere; however, after 20 minutes of searching the internet I've come up empty handed so hear it goes:

For full-time first years, what does the class schedule typically look like? More specifically, when do classes usually begin and end; are there usually large chunks of time between classes; how long are the classes; are they every day; are they on a repeating schedule?

Thanks in advanced! :)

mi-chan17

Bronze

Post by mi-chan17 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:29 am

WestWingWatcher wrote:I know I have ran into the answer to this question somewhere; however, after 20 minutes of searching the internet I've come up empty handed so hear it goes:

For full-time first years, what does the class schedule typically look like? More specifically, when do classes usually begin and end; are there usually large chunks of time between classes; how long are the classes; are they every day; are they on a repeating schedule?

Thanks in advanced! :)
Unfortunately, the answer (as it always is with law school) is "it depends." It depends on what section you're in and what semester it is. First semester 1L I had two or three classes back-to-back MWF and then Tuesday Thursday had maybe a 1-hour gap between each class. Second semester I had a two or three hour gap, depending on the day, and only a couple classes that lined up back-to-back.

They are on a repeating schedule. The only class that will mess with the three-day pattern (MWF, MTTh, etc.) is torts in first semester, and property in second. Those two are each 4 unit classes, so they meet four times a week.

dudders

Bronze

Post by dudders » Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:24 pm

Fall 2014 Schedule:

http://www.law.gwu.edu/Students/Records ... 20CRNs.pdf

Pretty much all 1L classes are on the first page, with section numbers. LRW times will be a total crapshoot. You'll have class every day. Plan on being at/around school pretty much all day. (I think I started at 9 or 10 3x week, and noon the other two (except stupid LRW started at 8 one of those noon days)). Class was done by 3 or 4. It just kind of depends what section you're in.

Nat Sherman

New

Post by Nat Sherman » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:01 pm

dudders wrote:Fall 2014 Schedule:

http://www.law.gwu.edu/Students/Records ... 20CRNs.pdf

Pretty much all 1L classes are on the first page, with section numbers. LRW times will be a total crapshoot. You'll have class every day. Plan on being at/around school pretty much all day. (I think I started at 9 or 10 3x week, and noon the other two (except stupid LRW started at 8 one of those noon days)). Class was done by 3 or 4. It just kind of depends what section you're in.
Section 15 is TCR

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lhanvt13

Gold

Post by lhanvt13 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:10 pm

Incoming transfer here:
How do CS/EE transfers do?
How accessible is the B-School's CSO?
General living tips like "don't go to the corner bakery down the street it's bad"?

FSK

Platinum

Post by FSK » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:15 am

lhanvt13 wrote:Incoming transfer here:
General living tips like "don't go to the corner bakery down the street it's bad"?
1) Very well, generally. Same rules for Pros/Lit apply, but GW has a ton of small prosecution shops recruit here (some that pay market).
2) Its reasonably accessible, but its also not that useful. GW Business is not a target for any high-end MBA position, so don't get your hopes up?
3) Filter coffee(on I between 20 and 19), Founding Farmers (20 and Penn), Washington Deli (On 20 between K and I), and Rice Bowl (on 19th between K and L) are by far my favorite food/coffee places w/in a short walk. If you're looking for somewhere to live and not spend a ton, Silver Spring is acceptable, and dirt cheap compared to other GW accessible areas.
Last edited by FSK on Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FSK

Platinum

Post by FSK » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:16 am

When the hell does Law Review get published? I'm at that point where I'm a strong shot if my write on was good, and I just want to know.
Last edited by FSK on Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Abbie Doobie

Silver

Post by Abbie Doobie » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:41 am

flawschoolkid wrote:
lhanvt13 wrote:Incoming transfer here:
1) Very well, generally. Same rules for Pros/Lit apply, but GW has a ton of small prosecution shops recruit here (some that pay market).
2) Its reasonably accessible, but its also not that useful. GW Business is not a target for any high-end MBA position, so don't get your hopes up?
3) Filter coffee(on I between 20 and 19), Founding Farmers (20 and Penn), Washington Deli (On 20 between K and I), and Rice Bowl (on 19th between K and L) are by far my favorite food/coffee places w/in a short walk. If you're looking for somewhere to live and not spend a ton, Silver Spring is acceptable, and dirt cheap compared to other GW accessible areas.

I agree - you'll do pretty well since you had good enough grades to transfer. Anecdata - I was an EE transfer to GW and preselected every bid accept for Cooley.

I would actually vote Alexandria (van dorn area) over Silver Spring. Closer to campus, you can find some decently-priced apartments (some that even have capped utilities) and Old Town is a nice place to walk around.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”