G.W. 1L Ready to take questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
lhanvt13

Gold

Re: G.W. 1L Ready to take questions

Post by lhanvt13 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:55 am

Abbie Doobie wrote:
flawschoolkid wrote:
lhanvt13 wrote:Incoming transfer here:
How do CS/EE transfers do?
How accessible is the B-School's CSO?
General living tips like "don't go to the corner bakery down the street it's bad"?
1) Very well, generally. Same rules for Pros/Lit apply, but GW has a ton of small prosecution shops recruit here (some that pay market).
2) Its reasonably accessible, but its also not that useful. GW Business is not a target for any high-end MBA position, so don't get your hopes up?
3) Filter coffee(on I between 20 and 19), Founding Farmers (20 and Penn), Washington Deli (On 20 between K and I), and Rice Bowl (on 19th between K and L) are by far my favorite food/coffee places w/in a short walk. If you're looking for somewhere to live and not spend a ton, Silver Spring is acceptable, and dirt cheap compared to other GW accessible areas.

I agree - you'll do pretty well since you had good enough grades to transfer. Anecdata - I was an EE transfer to GW and preselected every bid accept for Cooley.

I would actually vote Alexandria (van dorn area) over Silver Spring. Closer to campus, you can find some decently-priced apartments (some that even have capped utilities) and Old Town is a nice place to walk around.
Sweet. Thanks for the response guys.
In Re: BSchool CSO. yeah I kind of guessed that since the business school isn't too strong there. Still, anything would be better than nothing since our affiliated school doesn't have a business school at all. I'm just looking into alternative career options as well.

JFoNN

New

Post by JFoNN » Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:36 pm

Abbie Doobie wrote:
flawschoolkid wrote:
General living tips like "don't go to the corner bakery down the street it's bad"?
1) Very well, generally. Same rules for Pros/Lit apply, but GW has a ton of small prosecution shops recruit here (some that pay market).
2) Its reasonably accessible, but its also not that useful. GW Business is not a target for any high-end MBA position, so don't get your hopes up?
3) Filter coffee(on I between 20 and 19), Founding Farmers (20 and Penn), Washington Deli (On 20 between K and I), and Rice Bowl (on 19th between K and L) are by far my favorite food/coffee places w/in a short walk. If you're looking for somewhere to live and not spend a ton, Silver Spring is acceptable, and dirt cheap compared to other GW accessible areas.

I agree - you'll do pretty well since you had good enough grades to transfer. Anecdata - I was an EE transfer to GW and preselected every bid accept for Cooley.

I would actually vote Alexandria (van dorn area) over Silver Spring. Closer to campus, you can find some decently-priced apartments (some that even have capped utilities) and Old Town is a nice place to walk around.
Another plus for Alexandria over Silver Spring is that several patent boutiques are located in and around Old Town. If you end up working at one during the summer or part-time during the year and want to keep the same housing, living in Alexandria would be a much easier commute than living in Silver Spring.

FSK

Platinum

Post by FSK » Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:39 pm

JFoNN wrote:
Abbie Doobie wrote:
flawschoolkid wrote:

Another plus for Alexandria over Silver Spring is that several patent boutiques are located in and around Old Town. If you end up working at one during the summer or part-time during the year and want to keep the same housing, living in Alexandria would be a much easier commute than living in Silver Spring.
I suggest silver Spring because you can do it cheap. I did it for under $800 (utilities included) a month in an OK building, and I could have spent less.
Last edited by FSK on Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

redsoxrox

New

Post by redsoxrox » Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:54 pm

Should we do a GW OCI thread or just post about it on here?

lhanvt13

Gold

Post by lhanvt13 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:11 pm

redsoxrox wrote:Should we do a GW OCI thread or just post about it on here?
Separate one sounds good.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

FSK

Platinum

Post by FSK » Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:13 pm

lhanvt13 wrote:
redsoxrox wrote:Should we do a GW OCI thread or just post about it on here?
Separate one sounds good.
I didn't want to be that guy.
Last edited by FSK on Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mi-chan17

Bronze

Post by mi-chan17 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:37 pm

flawschoolkid wrote:When the hell does Law Review get published? I'm at that point where I'm a strong shot if my write on was good, and I just want to know.
My year, I think they called us in July. It was before we had to finalize our OCI stuff.

WestWingWatcher

Bronze

Post by WestWingWatcher » Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:05 am

Thanks for the response in regard to the scheduling :)

I have another question concerning law student use of undergraduate facilities. What sort of things can we utilize for free, and which are we not allowed to? For example can we use the gym for free? Can we go to guest lectures they have? Etc.

mi-chan17

Bronze

Post by mi-chan17 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:34 am

WestWingWatcher wrote: I have another question concerning law student use of undergraduate facilities. What sort of things can we utilize for free, and which are we not allowed to? For example can we use the gym for free? Can we go to guest lectures they have? Etc.
We had access to the university's gym and could go to any of the university-wide events they held. Just had to bring our school IDs.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lhanvt13

Gold

Post by lhanvt13 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:52 am

Is there a parking lot?
Saw a little snack bar? Cafeteria? When I visited the law school. Acceptable or poison?

mi-chan17

Bronze

Post by mi-chan17 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:53 pm

lhanvt13 wrote:Is there a parking lot?
Saw a little snack bar? Cafeteria? When I visited the law school. Acceptable or poison?
There is not a law school-specific parking lot. So, parking-wise, you can try to buy one of the university's super expensive spots (which still won't be even on the same block as the school), or you can attempt to park on the street. Street parking is metered, though, just as a warning. It really is easier to just take metro/the bus.

Yeah, the Uptowner is the only food place inside the law school (although there's usually a hot dog cart out in University Yard). It's not poison or anything, but it is a little overpriced for what it is. It'll do if you only have 15 minutes between classes or something and need to grab something. Otherwise, there's plenty of food within a 10 or 15 minute walk.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”