G.W. 1L Ready to take questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Naked Dude

Silver

Re: G.W. 1L Ready to take questions

Post by Naked Dude » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:21 pm

paul34 wrote:best off-campus places to live that are still near to the law school? I'm sure it's already been asked, but I suppose perhaps there may be some room for updates now.
Just off the top of my head, lots of people live in the Statesman, which is closer to the law school than the Aston. Too close, personally, but that's an individual preference. Personally I think Dupont is the nearest neighborhood that has any character, but that's just me.

zylaxice

New

Post by zylaxice » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:58 pm

Petty question time!

How comprehensive is internet or wi-fi coverage on campus/in classes/library? What about if you live in The Aston?

mi-chan17

Bronze

Post by mi-chan17 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:38 pm

zylaxice wrote:Petty question time!

How comprehensive is internet or wi-fi coverage on campus/in classes/library? What about if you live in The Aston?
The only on-campus place I've had trouble with wi-fi coverage is in the 3rd floor vending machine room. It's still there, it's just slower. I have no idea why.

I lived in the Aston the first year that they made it wireless, so there were some bugs. I used a quick fix and just plugged in an ethernet and made my own wireless network for my apartment. That said, they may have fixed some of the issues since then.

shbe0701

New

Post by shbe0701 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:59 pm

tag

sangr

Bronze

Post by sangr » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:12 pm

how was the latest hiring season for GW law students?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dudders

Bronze

Post by dudders » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:24 am

sangr wrote:how was the latest hiring season for GW law students?
lol.

mi-chan17

Bronze

Post by mi-chan17 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:15 am

sangr wrote:how was the latest hiring season for GW law students?
Top 15% or so seemed to do fine; everyone I know on LR came up with BigLaw/SLIP/boutiques. Everything below that was mixed and depended on all kinds of factors (IP, URM, market, W/E, etc.) I know bottom-half people who got paid summer gigs (albeit ones that won't necessarily lead to post-grad employment and they didn't come through OCI) and people around median who went into the spring semester with nothing.

TL;DR: Top 15% were fine, no one else had any guarantees.

junm

New

Post by junm » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:18 am

tag... looks like I'll be heading that way in the Fall. Any thing I should consider?

parebare23

Bronze

Post by parebare23 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:31 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mi-chan17

Bronze

Post by mi-chan17 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:36 pm

junm wrote:tag... looks like I'll be heading that way in the Fall. Any thing I should consider?
I'm not entirely sure what you're asking, honestly. Congrats, though, on your acceptance!

junm

New

Post by junm » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:34 am

mi-chan17 wrote:
junm wrote:tag... looks like I'll be heading that way in the Fall. Any thing I should consider?
I'm not entirely sure what you're asking, honestly. Congrats, though, on your acceptance!
haha sorry, should have been more specific. I meant are there any tips or things I should take into consideration, that maybe you wish you would have known.

atashakor

New

Post by atashakor » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:26 am

anyone take government Ks with schooner?

mi-chan17

Bronze

Post by mi-chan17 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:00 pm

atashakor wrote:anyone take government Ks with schooner?
I'm in Government K Performance with him this semester; took the survey course with Schwartz in the fall.
junm wrote: haha sorry, should have been more specific. I meant are there any tips or things I should take into consideration, that maybe you wish you would have known.
I think the main thing is just to make sure you're coming to GW for the right reasons. I think the people that are the most unhappy at GW are those that came in with unrealistic expectations.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TheFutureLawyer

Gold

Post by TheFutureLawyer » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:05 pm

mi-chan17 wrote:
I think the main thing is just to make sure you're coming to GW for the right reasons. I think the people that are the most unhappy at GW are those that came in with unrealistic expectations.
See, e.g., GermX, Eco. http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... &start=250

junm

New

Post by junm » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:33 pm

TheFutureLawyer wrote:
mi-chan17 wrote:
I'd love to hear your response to this. Do a lot of students feel that way or is it just a loud few? Has GW met your expectations so far?

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:22 pm

junm wrote:
TheFutureLawyer wrote:
mi-chan17 wrote:
I'd love to hear your response to this. Do a lot of students feel that way or is it just a loud few? Has GW met your expectations so far?
GW is the best decision i ever made...now in my last semester. if u expect to get a big firm job without being top 15% or IP or special skills/connections, u'r gonna be disappointed. but employment is generally the only thing u hear people complain about; people, profs, quality of life is pretty good at GW.

mi-chan17

Bronze

Post by mi-chan17 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:35 pm

junm wrote:
TheFutureLawyer wrote:
mi-chan17 wrote:
I think that people that are frustrated or angry are more likely to go rant about it than someone who is content.

Like dood, I love GW. It has exceeded my expectations. In talking to my friends, if choosing again they would still choose GW. That said, it's not necessarily for everyone. My friends and I all had solid reasons for coming to GW (IP, large scholarships, etc.). So I just recommend that people considering GW have some articulable reason for wanting to go there; something beyond "it's ranked 20th by USNWR."

If you're NYC Biglaw-or-bust, coming to GW over Fordham is a terrible idea. You will be disappointed. If you're a patent examiner at USPTO and want to get your JD part-time and then do IP law, GW makes perfect sense.

I also think that the atmosphere is great, the people have been awesome, and I have had amazing professors.

Edit: I guess I should throw in here that I'm a 2L.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TheFutureLawyer

Gold

Post by TheFutureLawyer » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:55 pm

mi-chan17 wrote:
junm wrote:
TheFutureLawyer wrote:
mi-chan17 wrote:
I think that people that are frustrated or angry are more likely to go rant about it than someone who is content.

Like dood, I love GW. It has exceeded my expectations.
yep.

dood and mi-chan PM'd

GW_Law_Student

New

Post by GW_Law_Student » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:06 pm

Have any GW students here taken Schaffner for Civ Pro?

dudders

Bronze

Post by dudders » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:05 am

mi-chan17 wrote:My friends and I all had solid reasons for coming to GW (IP, large scholarships, etc.)

. . .

If you're a patent examiner at USPTO and want to get your JD part-time and then do IP law, GW makes perfect sense.
I agree with this. If you have hella $, or are a patent examiner, GW is the place for you.

If not, enjoy your future night sweats about student debt. I mean, I'm in the top third and this school is a racket. I didn't come expecting grandiose BigLaw dreams, but I did expect not to be shitting my pants over my complete lack of future.

parebare23

Bronze

Post by parebare23 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:29 pm

GW with no scholly money - is it worth it???

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mi-chan17

Bronze

Post by mi-chan17 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:17 pm

parebare23 wrote:GW with no scholly money - is it worth it???
Usually I'd say no. That said, there are some exceptions. Do you have a particular reason for wanting to go to GW?

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:29 pm

Last edited by dood on Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GW_Law_Student

New

Post by GW_Law_Student » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:59 pm

GW_Law_Student wrote:Have any GW students here taken Schaffner for Civ Pro?

parebare23

Bronze

Post by parebare23 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:19 am

How late do you think is too late to begin the apt search for a place in DC?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”