G.W. 1L Ready to take questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
TheFutureLawyer

Gold

Re: G.W. 1L Ready to take questions

Post by TheFutureLawyer » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:35 pm

schooner wrote:Q for the current students: did you guys go to every single class? If you couldn't avoid missing a few, were you able to figure out what you need to know for the exam using old outlines? During office hours were professors willing to tell you what you missed? Are classmates helpful & willing to share their notes?

I want to attend 100% of my classes, but it doesn't look possible at this point :-( I am very worried this is going to screw me up.
I'd imagine students don't mind sharing notes. I know I never did or will. Whenever I missed a class in UG, I'd always ask people who've taken my notes in the past before I'd ask anyone else.

Naked Dude

Silver

Post by Naked Dude » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:44 pm

TheFutureLawyer wrote:
schooner wrote:Q for the current students: did you guys go to every single class? If you couldn't avoid missing a few, were you able to figure out what you need to know for the exam using old outlines? During office hours were professors willing to tell you what you missed? Are classmates helpful & willing to share their notes?

I want to attend 100% of my classes, but it doesn't look possible at this point :-( I am very worried this is going to screw me up.
I'd imagine students don't mind sharing notes. I know I never did or will. Whenever I missed a class in UG, I'd always ask people who've taken my notes in the past before I'd ask anyone else.
Yeah. There's no magic to my notes, they're just notes. Same with the few outlines I made in undergrad. The magic is in making them, not reading them. Now, I don't think I'd give everyone who asks a detailed breakdown of my study strategies, but my notes are a freebie. And as competitive person as I am, I don't want to come off as a jerk. There's a line between healthy competition and being petty and rude. If I do better than someone, I don't want it to be because they were sick and missed a week's worth of class.

schooner

Bronze

Post by schooner » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:48 pm

Thanks everybody. Could current 1L-3Ls also please weigh in? Especially about the underlined questions?

Paichka

Bronze

Post by Paichka » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:13 pm

It can be difficult to get to every class, particularly during OCI when you have interviews and whatnot. So no, you don't need to go to every class in order to do well in the class (unless there's a strict attendance policy, obvs).

If you have a good reason for missing class, professors will probably be happy to go over what you missed. You could, alternatively, just show up at office hours and ask questions about whatever that day's topic was. Most professors are extremely helpful.

I had to miss class a bunch last semester for doctors appts, when my daughter was sick, etc...all of my friends gave me notes. Also, I read supplements, did the readings for class, and read outlines from previous years. Don't make a habit out of missing class, and always send your professor a head's up email (it's polite), but if you end up missing some, it is not the end of the world.

mi-chan17

Bronze

Post by mi-chan17 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:51 pm

schooner wrote:

Thanks everybody. Could current 1L-3Ls also please weigh in? Especially about the underlined questions?
As is typically the case, Paichka is totally right.

Generally, I recommend going to every class. None of my 1L teachers were attendance freaks, but they noticed if people were missing repeatedly. Besides, synthesizing what you read is easier to do if someone who knows what's going on is helping. That said, I missed a few classes for varying reasons (nasty flu, interview, religious holiday, etc.). People were always willing to lend me their notes, and my professors were unfailingly nice about it (even if they couldn't make it an "excused" absence). Make sure that you do all the readings and stuff as though you had attended that class; you don't want to fall behind. And make sure you understand what you read, so go to office hours if you need some professorial clarification to work out what you missed.

Like Paichka said, let your professor know (ahead of time, if possible). None of my professors were mean to people who missed class or anything, but they definitely appreciated being told beforehand so that a) they knew it was legit, and b) they didn't have you on their list of people to traumati...er, cold-call that day.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

schooner

Bronze

Post by schooner » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:01 pm

You guys are awesome. Thank you again for your great advice (and calming words).

Naked Dude

Silver

Post by Naked Dude » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:32 pm

mi-chan17 wrote:
schooner wrote:

Generally, I recommend going to every class. None of my 1L teachers were attendance freaks, but they noticed if people were missing repeatedly. Besides, synthesizing what you read is easier to do if someone who knows what's going on is helping. That said, I missed a few classes for varying reasons (nasty flu, interview, religious holiday, etc.). People were always willing to lend me their notes, and my professors were unfailingly nice about it (even if they couldn't make it an "excused" absence). Make sure that you do all the readings and stuff as though you had attended that class; you don't want to fall behind. And make sure you understand what you read, so go to office hours if you need some professorial clarification to work out what you missed.

Like Paichka said, let your professor know (ahead of time, if possible). None of my professors were mean to people who missed class or anything, but they definitely appreciated being told beforehand so that a) they knew it was legit, and b) they didn't have you on their list of people to traumati...er, cold-call that day.
Apologies if this has been answered, but I thought sections were 100 students each (I'm assuming that the Sections are 11-15, split evenly among ~500 students?)? Will a professor really notice if he/she doesn't call on you that day?

Naked Dude

Silver

Post by Naked Dude » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:33 pm

mi-chan17 wrote:
schooner wrote:

So from what I understand is-towards the second half of the semester you should be applying anywhere and everywhere for your 1L internship? Has this pre-selection or whatever it's called begun for GW OCI? How do you feel about it?

mi-chan17

Bronze

Post by mi-chan17 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:49 pm

Naked Dude wrote: So from what I understand is-towards the second half of the semester you should be applying anywhere and everywhere for your 1L internship? Has this pre-selection or whatever it's called begun for GW OCI? How do you feel about it?
The timing of applying for your 1L summer internship varies. Some people recommend applying on Dec. 1st. Unless you're applying to something that has a deadline that early or maybe I judicial internship, I'm not sure that's really necessary. Remember, finals start Dec. 6th, and those are more important than applying Dec. 1. Most people I knew started applying in earnest after finals ended, which is what I recommend.

You should cast a wide net, no doubt about it, but try and tailor it at least a little to something you're actually interested in.

As to our upcoming FRP:
Pre-selects start coming out Aug. 9, and the alternates can start scheduling stuff on Aug. 11. I'm...nervous, gotta say. But I get nervous when I'm waiting for just about anything, so that's not a great measure. ;)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Naked Dude

Silver

Post by Naked Dude » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:33 pm

mi-chan17 wrote:
Naked Dude wrote: So from what I understand is-towards the second half of the semester you should be applying anywhere and everywhere for your 1L internship? Has this pre-selection or whatever it's called begun for GW OCI? How do you feel about it?
The timing of applying for your 1L summer internship varies. Some people recommend applying on Dec. 1st. Unless you're applying to something that has a deadline that early or maybe I judicial internship, I'm not sure that's really necessary. Remember, finals start Dec. 6th, and those are more important than applying Dec. 1. Most people I knew started applying in earnest after finals ended, which is what I recommend.

You should cast a wide net, no doubt about it, but try and tailor it at least a little to something you're actually interested in.

As to our upcoming FRP:
Pre-selects start coming out Aug. 9, and the alternates can start scheduling stuff on Aug. 11. I'm...nervous, gotta say. But I get nervous when I'm waiting for just about anything, so that's not a great measure. ;)
thanks! and good luck!

mi-chan17

Bronze

Post by mi-chan17 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:51 am

Naked Dude wrote: Apologies if this has been answered, but I thought sections were 100 students each (I'm assuming that the Sections are 11-15, split evenly among ~500 students?)? Will a professor really notice if he/she doesn't call on you that day?
Sections are pretty big. This last year they ranged from 80-120 students. The 1L classrooms are pretty big, too, but not so big that there will normally be gaping holes. So on the first or second day of class, you all will usually sign a seating chart that shows "your" seat for the rest of the semester. When one seat is repeatedly empty, which is apparent because the rest of the class is usually crammed full, all the teacher has to do is glance down at that chart and see your picture on there smiling back that them.

dudders

Bronze

Post by dudders » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:03 pm

mi-chan17 wrote:
Naked Dude wrote: Apologies if this has been answered, but I thought sections were 100 students each (I'm assuming that the Sections are 11-15, split evenly among ~500 students?)? Will a professor really notice if he/she doesn't call on you that day?
Sections are pretty big. This last year they ranged from 80-120 students. The 1L classrooms are pretty big, too, but not so big that there will normally be gaping holes. So on the first or second day of class, you all will usually sign a seating chart that shows "your" seat for the rest of the semester. When one seat is repeatedly empty, which is apparent because the rest of the class is usually crammed full, all the teacher has to do is glance down at that chart and see your picture on there smiling back that them.
Yep, lectures in my section were at 100-percent capacity, so it's pretty obvious if you're not there. One of my professors would even specifically call on people who were absent or had written in saying they weren't prepared (he would always claim he got confused about his emails, but the man's pretty bright and I think he just liked shaming people).

schooner

Bronze

Post by schooner » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:09 pm

dudders wrote:
mi-chan17 wrote:
Yep, lectures in my section were at 100-percent capacity, so it's pretty obvious if you're not there. One of my professors would even specifically call on people who were absent or had written in saying they weren't prepared (he would always claim he got confused about his emails, but the man's pretty bright and I think he just liked shaming people).
Which professor was this? Who are the mean professors who do this?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Naked Dude

Silver

Post by Naked Dude » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:12 pm

mi-chan17 wrote:
Gotcha. I should've figured this out myself, since I have been in medium-sized seating chart classes.

Do you know why some sections are bigger/smaller than others? If there are 500+ people per class, there can't be 80 students spread out among 5 sections. Is there any rhyme or reason?

I just want my schedule already...

schooner

Bronze

Post by schooner » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:24 pm

I didn't want to intrude on the 2011 GW OCI Thread, but could you guys explain what's going on over there?

I'm guessing the posters are rising 3Ls (?) who submitted their resumes/cover letters to law firms (="bid"?) for permanent employment after graduation already? (You have to apply this early for a job almost a year away!?) And if you post something like "0/5 on NY regional" that means you got no firms, out of the 5 job applications you sent to NY area firms, expressing any interest in interviewing you? (A "callback" is a response asking you for an interview??)

mi-chan17

Bronze

Post by mi-chan17 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:17 pm

Naked Dude wrote: Do you know why some sections are bigger/smaller than others? If there are 500+ people per class, there can't be 80 students spread out among 5 sections. Is there any rhyme or reason?

I just want my schedule already...
Honestly, I have no idea how they chose which sections were huge (120-ish) and which one would be the step-child section (around 80).
schooner wrote:I didn't want to intrude on the 2011 GW OCI Thread, but could you guys explain what's going on over there?

I'm guessing the posters are rising 3Ls (?) who submitted their resumes/cover letters to law firms (="bid"?) for permanent employment after graduation already? (You have to apply this early for a job almost a year away!?) And if you post something like "0/5 on NY regional" that means you got no firms, out of the 5 job applications you sent to NY area firms, expressing any interest in interviewing you? (A "callback" is a response asking you for an interview??)
Okay, so...

1) Bidding: Rising 2Ls/3Ls/4LEs applying for summer or permanent submitted resumes/transcripts/cover letters through Symplicity to firms that our school is bringing in through OCI or to the regionals. Unfortunately, yes, we have to start applying for internships/jobs that won't start until next May at least.

2) "Results"/Pre-select: On designated days, the firms will begin letting us know (through Symplicity) if we've been selected for an interview, are an alternate, or are shit out of luck. OCI has not yet begun releasing pre-selects, but some of the regionals have.

3) Regionals: the school participates in interview programs that occur in other places (eg. Los Angeles, Philadelphia). We can bid on those programs and it doesn't count against our number of bids (which is limited) for OCI. But, if we get selected for those interviews, we have to get ourselves to wherever that regional program is held.

So "0/5 NY" indicates that the person bid on five firms that will be at the regional event in NY, and they were not pre-selected for any of them. That sucks, but it doesn't mean that they won't get NY at all, since most of the firms coming to OCI are also (or only) interviewing for their NY offices.

schooner

Bronze

Post by schooner » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:31 pm

Very helpful. Thank you, mi-chan17.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

schooner

Bronze

Post by schooner » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:38 pm

There are 5 regular sections and 1 evening students section, right? So maybe 80-100 students per regular section (average of 90 students x 5 sections) and one section (~50 students) = ~500 students. ?

Eco

Bronze

Post by Eco » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:40 pm

I skipped almost every single Constitutional law class (sec. 11 with Baron) for the entire year. Went to only a few of them when I felt guilty. Didn't open the book till end of the semester. Went to the exam with his study guide and an outline from another student, got an A in the class.

On the other hand, I went to every single Civ Pro class and studied the hell out of it all year, and still ended up with a B+.

So yeah, going to class is almost always pretty much useless IMO unless attendance is required (for e.g. Property we pretty much could never be absent).

Paichka

Bronze

Post by Paichka » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:40 pm

I'm not sure if that's true or not.

I WILL say that the last week of Evidence 2L Fall, my prof mentioned something going on in European courts about attorney-client privilege and spent about 5 minutes talking through it. I took notes, and inserted his discussion into my outline. Sure enough, one of the questions on the exam was, "what would you do if you were advising a multinational corporation about whether your conversations with them were privileged?" And you had to discuss the standard in the US and overseas, and temper your answer based on whether you were in-house counsel or part of an external firm. I nailed the question because I had his discussion practically verbatim in my outline. I heard a lot of people bitching after the final about that question "coming out of nowhere."

TL;DR - sometimes going to class can pay off in a major way.

Naked Dude

Silver

Post by Naked Dude » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:07 am

has anyone gotten section assignments yet? i was told it would be somewhere on the student portal but I don't see anything yet

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

schooner

Bronze

Post by schooner » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:02 pm

Naked Dude wrote:has anyone gotten section assignments yet? i was told it would be somewhere on the student portal but I don't see anything yet
I saw somewhere in the portal that section assignments won't be made until the week of August 15. Only the PT students know their section this early because it's always section 21, unless Section 15 students have been notified.

Naked Dude

Silver

Post by Naked Dude » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:35 pm

huh. anyone know where we pick up our student ids?

mi-chan17

Bronze

Post by mi-chan17 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:26 pm

Naked Dude wrote:huh. anyone know where we pick up our student ids?
I'm pretty sure that you pick up your student ID from the Marvin Center. There's some kind of GW ID office in there, if I recall correctly.

schooner

Bronze

Post by schooner » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:59 pm

Quick question: do we get assigned seats in all 1L classes (held in lecture halls)? Will there be name tags on the seats or something the first day?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”