Any CUNY Law students in the house?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Kurt Cobain

Any CUNY Law students in the house?

Postby Kurt Cobain » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:01 pm

I've been doing some reading on a part-time program opening up in the fall of 2011 (the semester I'll be applying for).

I then found this link (someone suggesting there will be one): http://www.xoxohth.com/thread.php?threa ... forum_id=2

I know they're trying to open it on a new campus. Does anyone have any insight as to when the part-time program/new campus will be ready? Thanks!

daddymike

Re: Any CUNY Law students in the house?

Postby daddymike » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:49 am

CUNY is in Brooklyn, right?
I'm amazed at the fact that this school isn't more popular. Tuition is 10k/year, and even for out-of-state students it's 15k. How is it possible that NY Law School charges close to 50k/yr... and actually gets away with it?

nickbentley

Postby nickbentley » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:29 pm

Does anyone go here?

JDeterminedF

Postby JDeterminedF » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:39 pm

the school is in queens actually

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:41 pm

daddymike wrote:CUNY is in Brooklyn, right?
I'm amazed at the fact that this school isn't more popular. Tuition is 10k/year, and even for out-of-state students it's 15k. How is it possible that NY Law School charges close to 50k/yr... and actually gets away with it?

I am amazed as well. Surely CUNY is no worse than Pace, Toura, Hofstra, etc. I think it must have something to do with their public interest focus...maybe they factor that into their admissions decisions.

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:06 pm

every student who is not in the top 10% at Brooklyn, Fordham, Cardozo, St. John's etc should RUN not walk to this school and its 10k tuition.

AssociateX

Postby AssociateX » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:08 pm

The school has terrible placement at private firms plus the majority of the student body are non-trads or students who are not smart or hard working....all around, remember the adage " you get what you pay for".
Last edited by AssociateX on Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:07 am

AssociateX wrote:The school has terrible placement at private firms plus the majority of the student body are non-trads or students who are nit smart or hard working....all around remember the adage " you get what you pay for".

Do you get what you pay for at NYLS? They charge NYU-level tuition.

I think you do get what you pay for at CUNY, in a good way. If you are going to attend a crappy school it should at least be cheap.

jasonc.

Postby jasonc. » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:20 am

AssociateX wrote:The school has terrible placement at private firms plus the majority of the student body are non-trads or students who are not smart or hard working....all around, remember the adage " you get what you pay for".

How do you know this? Thats a very harsh judgment of those people.

taxguy

Postby taxguy » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:05 pm

I looked very closely at CUNY law school. I really, really wanted to like it due to the tuition. However, the offerings were very spartan and were mainly geared to public interest law and some criminal representation. In fact, they even tried to make their offerings look bigger than thay are by padding the course offerings with such things as being a TA etc. Look over their academic offerings. Yes, you can get a decent smattering of differerent areas, but I don't think you will like what you will see unless you want to represent indigent criminal defendants.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”