University of Georgia School of Law

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
green918

Re: University of Georgia School of Law

Postby green918 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:27 pm

Does anybody know what the deal is with the certification letter for the UGA app? It says on the application that if you apply electronically you have to mail a signed certification letter, but it never asked me to print one like it did for other applications. Thanks!

wwarren

Postby wwarren » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:49 pm

I was able to to e-certification with UGA just like with most other schools.

green918

Postby green918 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:58 pm

wwarren wrote:I was able to to e-certification with UGA just like with most other schools.

I think I was too because on the cover page of my application package it says "Yes" for electronic certification, but it says you are supposed to print one out at the bottom of the application. I will probably call and ask tomorrow. I am hoping electronic is good enough and I can save myself a stamp.

wwarren

Postby wwarren » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:00 pm

I'm pretty sure that it's fine. They've already got a copy of my LSDAS Report. Post what they tell you on here so I can be sure as well.

On second thought, some of their admissions people are coming to my UG on Tuesday, i can just ask then.

jennylynn

Postby jennylynn » Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:29 pm

Do you see that "electronically certify" button when you're about to send or what? That section confused me, too...

bella16

Postby bella16 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:27 pm

As to the certification page, the viewbook clearly says to print it out and mail it in if you applied online. So, before I hit submit I'll try to print it out.

Anyone write a diversity statement and a "why uga" essay? I'm a urm and wrote a diversity statement highlighting not my racial diversity, but my life experiences living abroad. It would have been random to add a "this is why I want to attend UGA" paragraph to that statement. I'm just wondering if an additional why uga essay might be too much.

wwarren

Postby wwarren » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:31 pm

Like I said, I'll be sure to ask tomorrow when they have reps at my UG. I just don't understand why you'd be given the option to e-certify and it actually not be an option. Is this just a trick to see how well you follow instructions? Stupid.

green918

Postby green918 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:45 pm

bella16 wrote:As to the certification page, the viewbook clearly says to print it out and mail it in if you applied online. So, before I hit submit I'll try to print it out.

Anyone write a diversity statement and a "why uga" essay? I'm a urm and wrote a diversity statement highlighting not my racial diversity, but my life experiences living abroad. It would have been random to add a "this is why I want to attend UGA" paragraph to that statement. I'm just wondering if an additional why uga essay might be too much.

I was uncertain about certification because it did not give me the option to before I submitted. At other schools I applied to, it opened up a big screen with the cert. letter and made you check a box saying that you printed it out before you continued, so I think I would have noticed that.

I wrote a diversity statement and attached a resume, but no "why uga." It does seem like a lot but if you are an out of stater it might be worth it to show why Georgia particularly appeals to you.

wwarren

Postby wwarren » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:55 pm

I wrote the PS and attached an educational addendum explaining one poor semester (3.08 when the rest were 3.6+). I'm white, working class, protestant raised, Georgia male so I felt that any DS I wrote would be just stabbing in the dark so I didn't include one. I'm not too keen on my chances anyway. Oh well, they've told me that they really like my UG so maybe that'll help... maybe.

wwarren

Postby wwarren » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:06 pm

On a side note, I got the application status checker login e-mail from UGA today. Surely this means that my application was certified?

green918

Postby green918 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:04 am

wwarren wrote:On a side note, I got the application status checker login e-mail from UGA today. Surely this means that my application was certified?

I did too, and am hoping the same.

bella16

Postby bella16 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:28 am

green918 wrote:
bella16 wrote:As to the certification page, the viewbook clearly says to print it out and mail it in if you applied online. So, before I hit submit I'll try to print it out.

I was uncertain about certification because it did not give me the option to before I submitted. At other schools I applied to, it opened up a big screen with the cert. letter and made you check a box saying that you printed it out before you continued, so I think I would have noticed that.

I wrote a diversity statement and attached a resume, but no "why uga." It does seem like a lot but if you are an out of stater it might be worth it to show why Georgia particularly appeals to you.

No, I'm definately an in-stater so maybe this will look bad??

green918

Postby green918 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:57 am

[/quote]
No, I'm definately an in-stater so maybe this will look bad??[/quote]

I don't think it would look bad but I think you already have a bit of a leg up being an in-stater.

jennylynn

Postby jennylynn » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:29 am

The application doesn't say anything about a "why UGA" statement, so I'm not doing one. They just ask for a DS if applicable and a general personal statement. :)

wwarren, please let us know what the UGA peoples say!

bella16

Postby bella16 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:24 pm

green918 wrote:
I don't think it would look bad but I think you already have a bit of a leg up being an in-stater.

Too bad my lsat score wasn't too good! That's why I am trying to highlight other factors of my app and thought a "why x" essay might help. Often times schools don't specifically say to do one but have a section that says "If there is anything else you wish to bring to the attention to the admissions committee, please do so in a seperate statement." This is the last question on the application for UGA. Essentially, this is where your "Why UGA" statement would go. I don't really think being an in-stater gives you that much of a leg up b/c UGA already accepts the majority of applicants from Georgia anyways.

wwarren

Postby wwarren » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:30 pm

It's been verified. If you pay by credit card you can e-certify and don't have to mail anything in. They simply printed their viewbook before LSAC made the system clear to them, apparently. She also told me that if you get your login that doesn't mean it's technically complete. She said to expect two weeks after submission date.

jennylynn

Postby jennylynn » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:37 pm

If your fee has been waived via e-mail, do they keep a list of the people who don't have to pay the fee or what? I'm confused as to how this works.

wwarren

Postby wwarren » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:05 pm

Don't know about that. Is there anything to print off and send to them in lieu of a check? Or does it just say "your application fee has been waived"?

jennylynn

Postby jennylynn » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:12 pm

It just says "congrats on your academic performance, blah blah blah...Your application fee has therefore been waived...blah blah" no real instructions. Wonder if I should call?

wwarren

Postby wwarren » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:15 pm

Do the LSAC test. Act like you're going to submit your application, send it to your cart, and then delete it. That's just to be sure, but it does sound like it's an automatic waiver if you do e-certify.

wwarren

Postby wwarren » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:38 pm

P.S. Complete on 10/28, applied on 10/21. The admissions rep today told me that "if you went complete today you could probably expect a decision by Thanksgiving." This is going to be a very stressful few weeks.

green918

Postby green918 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:37 pm

wwarren wrote:P.S. Complete on 10/28, applied on 10/21. The admissions rep today told me that "if you went complete today you could probably expect a decision by Thanksgiving." This is going to be a very stressful few weeks.

Waiting for your report to get there adds to the stress. They technically have everything they need, just not in paper form. But good to know it only took you a week to go complete. I submitted a few days after you, so hopefully it'll take a week too.

bella16 wrote: I don't really think being an in-stater gives you that much of a leg up b/c UGA already accepts the majority of applicants from Georgia anyways.

I meant that since they accept mostly in state applicants, you might have an advantage over people from out of state. Out of staters might have more need to write the "why uga" essay to have an edge over instate candidates with comparable numbers.

wwarren

Postby wwarren » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:39 pm

I think last year's class was 175 to 55 or something like that.

jennylynn

Postby jennylynn » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:42 pm

wwarren wrote:P.S. Complete on 10/28, applied on 10/21. The admissions rep today told me that "if you went complete today you could probably expect a decision by Thanksgiving." This is going to be a very stressful few weeks.

Ah, scary! Good luck! :D
I'm hoping to get mine in before Thanksgiving...working on the PS right now.

bella16

Postby bella16 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:41 pm

wwarren wrote:Do the LSAC test. Act like you're going to submit your application, send it to your cart, and then delete it. That's just to be sure, but it does sound like it's an automatic waiver if you do e-certify.

Doesn't it transmit the application once you put it in your cart and then you're stuck paying!?!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”