University of Georgia School of Law

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
07ggfa5

Re: University of Georgia School of Law

Postby 07ggfa5 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:04 am

algren wrote:
moviechicka wrote:
Neil wrote:
john titor wrote:there were only a few nontrads in my class, but it's not like they had any problems. the school is generally quite clique-ish but if youre an older student you probably dont care, right? it's generally a young law school so if youre a nontrad i wouldnt expect to make a bunch of best friends

At what age are you considered "older"? If I end up in Athens I won't know a soul in town when I start law school. I'm not looking to join any frats, but I would like to be confident that I'll be able to make some friends within my age range and with at least some desire to go out and have fun, at least on weekends...

I'm curious about this too. I'm 27 and would like to be able to meet other people in their mid to late 20s. I currently live in Atlanta and I would like to work here. UGA's a great school, but I don't want to be a hermit for the next three years.

I applied to UGA and I'm 27. So there are others like you :-)

+1. I'm also 27 and strongly considering UGA. Sounds like there may be at least several of us 'oldies'!

iShotFirst

Postby iShotFirst » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:19 pm

07ggfa5 wrote: +1. I'm also 27 and strongly considering UGA. Sounds like there may be at least several of us 'oldies'!

chalk up another one for the "oldie" camp, 27 years, GA at the top of my list.

algren

Postby algren » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:15 pm

iShotFirst wrote:
07ggfa5 wrote: +1. I'm also 27 and strongly considering UGA. Sounds like there may be at least several of us 'oldies'!

Do we get a senior citizens discount for law school?

john titor

Postby john titor » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:14 am

Neil wrote:
john titor wrote:there were only a few nontrads in my class, but it's not like they had any problems. the school is generally quite clique-ish but if youre an older student you probably dont care, right? it's generally a young law school so if youre a nontrad i wouldnt expect to make a bunch of best friends

At what age are you considered "older"? If I end up in Athens I won't know a soul in town when I start law school. I'm not looking to join any frats, but I would like to be confident that I'll be able to make some friends within my age range and with at least some desire to go out and have fun, at least on weekends...

when I said 'nontrads' I meant students over 30. Athens is an easy town to make friends in for sure.

Neil

Postby Neil » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:20 pm

john titor wrote:
Neil wrote:

when I said 'nontrads' I meant students over 30. Athens is an easy town to make friends in for sure.

Awesome, thanks for clarifying. I'll be turning 27 about a month before I enter law school, which seems to be just slightly on the older side for most law schools. I was starting to worry I would be an old man by Athens standards, but it seems I'd be in good company.

algren

Postby algren » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:06 pm

Neil wrote:
john titor wrote:
Neil wrote:

Awesome, thanks for clarifying. I'll be turning 27 about a month before I enter law school, which seems to be just slightly on the older side for most law schools. I was starting to worry I would be an old man by Athens standards, but it seems I'd be in good company.

Crap, I'll be 28 when school starts. Dr. Oz says my "real age" is 25 though so I'm sure I'll fit right in. :roll:

iShotFirst

Postby iShotFirst » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:04 pm

algren wrote: Crap, I'll be 28 when school starts. Dr. Oz says my "real age" is 25 though so I'm sure I'll fit right in. :roll:

Better if it was 19 :lol:

I hate to repost this question, but this thread seems a bit more active than the other one I posted in:

Does Georgia give out merit scholarships like 1/2 tuition or anything, or just the "University of Georgia Law Scholars" full tuition ones for residents? got in recently and curious about whats happening with that. LSN doesnt give me too much information on this as far as I can tell, seems like most of the $$$ listed on there are tuition equalization scholarships for out of state.

Anyone have any experience or knowledge of it?

missvik218

Postby missvik218 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:40 pm

leckj wrote:
iShotFirst wrote:Does Georgia give out merit scholarships like 1/2 tuition or anything, or just the "University of Georgia Law Scholars" full tuition ones for residents? got in recently and curious about whats happening with that. LSN doesnt give me too much information on this as far as I can tell, seems like most of the $$$ listed on there are tuition equalization scholarships for out of state.
They give out partial merit scholarships. I have seen/heard of $5k/year and $7.5k/year ones offered so far this cycle. See the UGA thread in the admits/denials/waitlists forum.

I think you got little to no response because nobody really knows. Mostly we've just seen tuition equalization, and equalization + a few k (like the poster above said). I haven't seen any IS applicants post much of anything about scholarships yet.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:51 pm

iShotFirst wrote:

+1

Lots of us. BTW, I don't look a day over 25 :P .

iShotFirst

Postby iShotFirst » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:30 pm

missvik218 wrote:
leckj wrote:
iShotFirst wrote:Does Georgia give out merit scholarships like 1/2 tuition or anything, or just the "University of Georgia Law Scholars" full tuition ones for residents? got in recently and curious about whats happening with that. LSN doesnt give me too much information on this as far as I can tell, seems like most of the $$$ listed on there are tuition equalization scholarships for out of state.
They give out partial merit scholarships. I have seen/heard of $5k/year and $7.5k/year ones offered so far this cycle. See the UGA thread in the admits/denials/waitlists forum.

I think you got little to no response because nobody really knows. Mostly we've just seen tuition equalization, and equalization + a few k (like the poster above said). I haven't seen any IS applicants post much of anything about scholarships yet.

Ya seems like they are using the scholarship mainly to attract OOS people, except of course for the Georgia Scholars. Maybe some of those OOS people withdraw and we can get some, I hope.

john titor

Postby john titor » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:13 pm

missvik218 wrote:
leckj wrote:

there was one kid in my whole class who got a full ride at uga. he had HYS numbers, but was from georgia, and wanted to practice in georgia, so they gave him full tuition plus a living stipend. if anyone else got this type of deal in our class, they didn't tell anyone.

07ggfa5

Postby 07ggfa5 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:27 am

So any idea on how life in Athens would be for minorities, particularly east Asians? I apologize if I sound ignorant, but I have no first hand experience living in the South.

I am of Korean descent, btw. I'm guessing with UGA being a large university there be a sizable minority population. I enjoy all the typical mainstream 'American' things but I also have to get my fix for Asian things like restaurants, grocery, etc.

1lga10

Postby 1lga10 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:31 am

I attended uga as an undergrad, and I'm going to uga law. I'm not Asian, but I can give you my general perspective from living in Athens the past 5 years... There is a pretty diverse student population, and within that, a large proportion are Asian. There are close to 35,000 students, so it's easy to find a niche group, and I know there are several Asian student organizations. Also, the city of Athens is a unique place with plenty of cultural influences. Naturally there are lots Asian restaurants, and there are several imported foods grocery stores, a couple of which are specifically Asian grocery stores. One more thing. You mentioned living in the south? Keep in mind Athens is unlike most cities in Georgia, and many in the south in general. It's a college town and it's population reflects that. If you're thinking of staying in Georgia to practice, and you need a specific cultural fix to live comfortably, you should consider the state as a whole then.

iShotFirst

Postby iShotFirst » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:15 am

07ggfa5 wrote:So any idea on how life in Athens would be for minorities, particularly east Asians? I apologize if I sound ignorant, but I have no first hand experience living in the South.

I am of Korean descent, btw. I'm guessing with UGA being a large university there be a sizable minority population. I enjoy all the typical mainstream 'American' things but I also have to get my fix for Asian things like restaurants, grocery, etc.

I second the above poster about Athens and Georgia. If I was Asian, and had no experience living in the South, and needed Asian culture etc to feel comfortable, I would hesitate to go to UGA. Im a Georgia resident (Valdosta) and love it, but if you want any type of Asian culture, well, I havent been everywhere in the state, but you pretty much have Athens, with a sizeable Asian population because its a college town, and then you have Atlanta, obviously very diverse.

But its not a guarantee you will get to Atlanta. If you dont do so well at UGA you may be stuck finding a job in Valdosta or Macon, or somewhere else in the state with a very limited Asian culture. I would definitely recommend visiting first, and not just Athens and Atlanta.

07ggfa5

Postby 07ggfa5 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:37 pm

Thank you both for your comments. Definitely some useful info. If I do choose to go to UGA, I will be looking to work in ATL after graduation. I currently live in Columbus, OH and don't want to live anywhere smaller so that rules out the whole of GA except ATL. Up to this point, I admit that I've been naive assuming that finding a job in ATL will be a given with a JD from UGA. Good to have a reality check.

shawty18ga

Postby shawty18ga » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:56 am

Does anybody know if the USG cuts are going to affect the law school at all? Seems like a lot of stuff is getting cut down or cut out at all the public schools in Georgia. I hope the law school has a significant endowment to offset any losses of state money.

mkirk3

Postby mkirk3 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:29 pm

shawty18ga wrote:Does anybody know if the USG cuts are going to affect the law school at all? Seems like a lot of stuff is getting cut down or cut out at all the public schools in Georgia. I hope the law school has a significant endowment to offset any losses of state money.

--LinkRemoved--
That link has a summary and a link to the full cuts. I read through them all a couple of days ago, and nothing really seems to affect the law school directly (except possibly some part-time/adjunct job losses?). It shouldn't be a problem. I'm just hoping this general plan can prevent the USG coming through with its threat of high tuition increases.

cake

Postby cake » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:57 am

07ggfa5 wrote:So any idea on how life in Athens would be for minorities, particularly east Asians? I apologize if I sound ignorant, but I have no first hand experience living in the South.

The (barely active) Asian Law Student Association set up a trip last semester to go into Atlanta and do some shopping at H mart (Big Korean supermarket chain here). I go into Atlanta about once a month to get my Asian food needs, so I'm not particularly knowledgeable about the offerings in town.

07ggfa5

Postby 07ggfa5 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:52 pm

cake wrote:The (barely active) Asian Law Student Association set up a trip last semester to go into Atlanta and do some shopping at H mart (Big Korean supermarket chain here). I go into Atlanta about once a month to get my Asian food needs, so I'm not particularly knowledgeable about the offerings in town.

Hey at least they are trying to do something useful to improve your life in law school. Thanks for the info.

cake

Postby cake » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:37 pm

I'm not complaining, just trying to keep from raising your hopes too high :)

07ggfa5

Postby 07ggfa5 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:36 am

cake wrote:I'm not complaining, just trying to keep from raising your hopes too high :)

I wasn't saying you were. Sorry if I came across that way. Thanks for the honest assessment. Are you Korean btw? Right now it's a tough choice between UGA ($15K/yr) and Ohio State ($22k/yr). I speak Korean fluently so I thought MAYBE having a large Korean community nearby in the ATL metro area will help me find a job.

cake

Postby cake » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:46 pm

Chinese. I know Koreans run a bunch of small shops (1-2 attorneys) along Buford Highway and up in Gwinnett, but don't really know the numbers for big and medium firms.

HawksJetsFalcons

Postby HawksJetsFalcons » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:05 pm

Held until further review for 5 months, finally had a decision made.....waitlist lol

Sir Pink

Postby Sir Pink » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:33 pm

finally got a decision. waitlisted- anyone know if georgia has a history of calling off the wait list?

jimmyrain77

Postby jimmyrain77 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:22 am

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”