University of Georgia School of Law Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
aguyingeorgia

Silver

Re: University of Georgia School of Law

Post by aguyingeorgia » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:44 pm

MHP wrote:john titor-- I talked to a bunch of 3Ls this fall (at a party, a chili cookoff here in Athens, were you there?) and they seemed to have a similar take as do you. It's interesting to me because I have talked to some 1Ls during my application process who have obviously only been through a few months of Georgia Law and they seemed very gung-ho about the whole thing. The 3Ls I know and have conversed with left me with the same sentiment: if you are not 100% sure that you want to stay in Georgia, it might be a safer choice to attend a more 'national', rather than 'regional' school. I actually have thought about looking for work in NC post law school, so you are in what could forseeably be my future situation (should I decide to attend).

Georgia Law is great for the price, but I am worried about the mobility. (I was really worried after the chili party, as there was a lot more said that made me nervous about the whole thing...about not being able to teach law, about the competitiveness of the student body.) If you could go back and do it again, would you choice a T6 and mega debt or UGA on the cheap? Hypothetically, of course. Not that that is my exact situation or anything. :wink:
Mobility isn't all that, and career services isn't exactly known at UGA for its outstanding services, especially to those outside the top 20%.

If you want any specifics, hit me up.

Bella...
AND THE COMMUTE FROM ATLANTA? ARGH! Think of traffic accidents, construction, the timing of classes in terms of starting and ending... UGH.

Besides, Athens rent is probably cheaper than the gas you'll use.

nianlong

New

Post by nianlong » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:27 pm

Mobility isn't all that, and career services isn't exactly known at UGA for its outstanding services, especially to those outside the top 20%.

Could you comment as to what you know about mobility beyond initial placement as a new JD. Is it affected at all once graduates have worked at respected firms in Atlanta for a few years, for example? Basically, is the average UGA graduate limited to GA for the duration of his/her career?

bella16

Bronze

Post by bella16 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:43 pm

aguyingeorgia wrote:
MHP wrote:
Bella...
AND THE COMMUTE FROM ATLANTA? ARGH! Think of traffic accidents, construction, the timing of classes in terms of starting and ending... UGH.

Besides, Athens rent is probably cheaper than the gas you'll use.
I told my Dad that (for the 3rd time) and finally he said, "Oh, if you can find a place where all I need to give you is $500 a month (he includes utilities) I'll do it." I am now on that mission. Craigslist seems to be my best bet so far.

john titor

Bronze

Post by john titor » Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:28 pm

tha trev wrote:what was your overall impression of your education at UGA?

did you feel like you got a great law school education?

what would you do differently if you could start over?

also, how is the job search going for your classmates this year?

and what did you do for your summers while you were at UGA?
I really enjoyed being in law school and I really enjoyed my professors. Of course, I have had a few bad professors, but the good ones have been pretty amazing. I felt like I had a good opportunity to learn from some of the best legal minds in Georgia, and some legendary professors. After three years of school, I still have a passion for law and advocacy, and so I feel a sentimental connection to the school. So yes, I think I got a quality law school education.

In terms of what I would do differently, I really am not sure. I worked very hard my first year, but I didn't get good grades - in fact they were well below median. I suppose I would have changed the way I studied or concentrated on developing in legal writing. It took me a long time to successfully adjust my writing style from the analytical writing I was doing in college to the legal style. However, Georgia gave me the opportunity to learn to correct my writing. I took an advanced writing course and really honed my skills, and got to practice writing a lot. I guess my answer to your question would be "I would get better grades," but to tell you the truth, I had to learn at my own pace, and there isn't really anything you can do, short of working as hard and as smart as you can, to will yourself into the top half of that class. Someone has to be in the bottom half; that's the reality of a forced curve.

For my classmates in the top half of the class, the job search is going alright. There are less big firm jobs this year, and a lot of the larger Atlanta firms are scaling back their hiring. So I would estimate that it's been a bit more difficult for those in the top half, even perhaps a bit more difficult at the top 10%. I have friends near the very top of the class that say they feel that pickings have gotten a bit slimmer as compared to their impression during their summer associateships. For those in the bottom half of the class, it is very difficult. The reality is that the jobs just aren't there like they were in the 1990's. The career services office do a pretty good job by providing access to job-searching resources, but I wish they were a bit more hands-on with the B students who won't have an easy time in this economic climate.

my first summer I took classes, my second summer I did research/drafting for a small trial practice firm. I don't have a job lined up and although I am hopeful, I don;t think that it's especially likely that I will have one until I have passed the bar.
Last edited by john titor on Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

john titor

Bronze

Post by john titor » Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:35 pm

MHP wrote:john titor-- I talked to a bunch of 3Ls this fall (at a party, a chili cookoff here in Athens, were you there?) and they seemed to have a similar take as do you. It's interesting to me because I have talked to some 1Ls during my application process who have obviously only been through a few months of Georgia Law and they seemed very gung-ho about the whole thing. The 3Ls I know and have conversed with left me with the same sentiment: if you are not 100% sure that you want to stay in Georgia, it might be a safer choice to attend a more 'national', rather than 'regional' school. I actually have thought about looking for work in NC post law school, so you are in what could forseeably be my future situation (should I decide to attend).

Georgia Law is great for the price, but I am worried about the mobility. (I was really worried after the chili party, as there was a lot more said that made me nervous about the whole thing...about not being able to teach law, about the competitiveness of the student body.) If you could go back and do it again, would you choice a T6 and mega debt or UGA on the cheap? Hypothetically, of course. Not that that is my exact situation or anything. :wink:
pmed
Last edited by john titor on Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

john titor

Bronze

Post by john titor » Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:41 pm

nianlong wrote:

Could you comment as to what you know about mobility beyond initial placement as a new JD. Is it affected at all once graduates have worked at respected firms in Atlanta for a few years, for example? Basically, is the average UGA graduate limited to GA for the duration of his/her career?
It's really hard to say. There are a lot of UGA grads working in other states, so no, you aren't confined to Georgia in any way. However, the job search outside of Georgia is more difficult. It is still possible, though. After you have been working for a while and get some experience as a lawyer, that is what counts. If you do really well in that first job you get, you are probably more likely to stay in that job, and if you do decide to leave, it's really your experience and reputation that will get you the next job. People move, they get married, their spouses get jobs, etc. A green UGA grad who has just registered to take the bar will not have an easy time finding a job outside of GA.

tha trev

New

Post by tha trev » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:54 pm

john titor...what are you going to do with your UGA JD??

john titor

Bronze

Post by john titor » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:53 pm

tha trev wrote:john titor...what are you going to do with your UGA JD??
I'm primarily interested in estate administration, probate litigation, and family law but my main goal is to get as much courtroom experience as possible.

tha trev

New

Post by tha trev » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:35 am

sorry...what i meant was what are you 'actually going to do for work' this summer, fall, winter, into next spring...?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jennylynn

Bronze

Post by jennylynn » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:26 pm

Can anybody recommend apartment complexes to check out in Athens? I want to start looking and am having a hard time knowing where to start.

OssumPossum

New

Post by OssumPossum » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:14 am

You may not be able to get into a 1BR for under 500 with utilities, but then again you may. I posted around here somewhere about living for $295 + electric and water (and whatever internet/cable you want). Most of the apartment complexes on Riverside are cheap (Riverside goes between Milledge and College Station or something). There are 2 or 3 apartment complexes (College Park, The Club, and University Commons may have changed names) that used to go for under $300/month + utilities. Also, free Bus to campus.

jennylynn

Bronze

Post by jennylynn » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:49 pm

Thanks! I'll check those out.

bella16

Bronze

Post by bella16 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:47 pm

Anyone know how good UGA is for family law? I've been toying with an interest in it and I remember reading about a family law clinic but just wondering if any current students know anything else about how it fares.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

john titor

Bronze

Post by john titor » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:42 pm

uga has a good family violence clinic; definitely something you should consider as a UGA student.

http://www.lawsch.uga.edu/academics/clinics/index.html

I'd also recommend the mediation program - an important skill for a family lawyer.

bella16

Bronze

Post by bella16 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:06 pm

john titor wrote:uga has a good family violence clinic; definitely something you should consider as a UGA student.

http://www.lawsch.uga.edu/academics/clinics/index.html

I'd also recommend the mediation program - an important skill for a family lawyer.
Thanks John! I was looking at boutique firms and found this family law one that I liked --LinkRemoved--

Oh yeah, I have another question. I was looking for a list of firms participating in OCI but online it asked for a password to acess it. Anyone know where I can get a list of firms who participated in on campus interviews? On my Emory tour they gave out sheets detailing the firms but I forgot to ask for one on my tour of UGA last week.

john titor

Bronze

Post by john titor » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:15 pm

I really dont know about the OCI list but if you email lcs@uga.edu I'm sure they would be glad to provide a prospective student with that kind of info.

tha trev

New

Post by tha trev » Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:31 pm

by family law, do you include divorces?

if so, is that something you want to do?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bella16

Bronze

Post by bella16 » Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:23 pm

tha trev wrote:by family law, do you include divorces?

if so, is that something you want to do?
Even though family law as a whole is pretty messy I'm interested in it. I would assume it includes divorces as well. I'm also looking into health law.

john titor

Bronze

Post by john titor » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:55 pm

family law, from my experience, is primarily custody and property disputes associated with divorce. there is also ample opportunity for pro bono work (working with battered indigent spouses, for example), but it doesnt pay the bills. Family law is also so dynamic right now, rife with legal debates about same sex marriage and partnership and related issues. Family law is also a great specialty because you deal with so many aspects of the law (contracts, constitutional law, torts, property, etc).

bella16

Bronze

Post by bella16 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:12 pm

john titor wrote:family law, from my experience, is primarily custody and property disputes associated with divorce. there is also ample opportunity for pro bono work (working with battered indigent spouses, for example), but it doesnt pay the bills. Family law is also so dynamic right now, rife with legal debates about same sex marriage and partnership and related issues. Family law is also a great specialty because you deal with so many aspects of the law (contracts, constitutional law, torts, property, etc).
I def want to take some classes in family law and or participate in the clinic. Do you know anything about how Georgia fares in Health Law? Thanks for answering my questions by the way :). Also, would you happen to know if Georgia requires the Need Access form?

jennylynn

Bronze

Post by jennylynn » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:44 am

I've never heard anybody say anything about the competitive atmosphere of UGA Law. Is it really bad?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

john titor

Bronze

Post by john titor » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:46 pm

I have no basis for comparison, but my view about law school competitiveness is this: law school is competitive by nature. UGA is a tier one school with most grads eyeing the atlanta market. As a result, grades are very important, and because grades are set by your performance relative to everyone else in your class, it creates a competition. I've never encountered any deplorable behavior of law school legend like gluing book pages, hiding library resources, giving bad advice, etc at Georgia, and the students are generally quite friendly. So I guess it's just as competitive as any law school that grades on a curve, but there is generally no hardcore, cut-your-throat-to-get-ahead mentality other than what would come naturally with a strict grade curve.

tha trev

New

Post by tha trev » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:06 pm

john titor wrote:I have no basis for comparison, but my view about law school competitiveness is this: law school is competitive by nature. UGA is a tier one school with most grads eyeing the atlanta market. As a result, grades are very important, and because grades are set by your performance relative to everyone else in your class, it creates a competition. I've never encountered any deplorable behavior of law school legend like gluing book pages, hiding library resources, giving bad advice, etc at Georgia, and the students are generally quite friendly. So I guess it's just as competitive as any law school that grades on a curve, but there is generally no hardcore, cut-your-throat-to-get-ahead mentality other than what would come naturally with a strict grade curve.
this is not promising.

john titor

Bronze

Post by john titor » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:15 pm

Any law school (that grades or ranks) is going to be like that though; it's axiomatic. When the likelihood of your getting a decent job after graduation depends on how many more points you get on exam answers, you're going to work as hard as you can to do better than other people. That doesn't mean that there has to be an environment of distrust and ill will, y'know?

cake

New

Post by cake » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:26 pm

Do you have any advice on scholarships/grants? What worked best for you and your classmates and what's the best way to handle the financial burden?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”