University of Georgia School of Law

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
TLS_user

University of Georgia School of Law

Postby TLS_user » Sat Oct 08, 2005 3:05 pm

Law School Programs >> Georgia Law Schools

lawsch.uga.edu
University of Georgia School of Law (LinkRemoved) is located in Athens, GA. It appears on the Top Law Schools Rankings page.

Please "post a reply" and add any comments you have about the University of Georgia Law. Many generations of prospective law students will benefit by the information you share.

DIL3RIUM

Postby DIL3RIUM » Sat Nov 18, 2006 4:46 pm

i was looking at various law schools in GA because i recently moved here and i have wanted to attend law school for qiute some time now and i have a few questions.
1. does this law school accept the HOPE scholarship?
2. what should i minor/minor in before i attend law classes?
3. are there any tips that i could use in preparation for law school? (ex: organization etc.)
thanx for any helpful hints and explanations =]

cspin16

Postby cspin16 » Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:55 pm

I don't think that Hope scholarships can be aplied to law school. I believe that they are for undergraduate schools only.

jcarey

Postby jcarey » Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:53 am

You don't need to worry so much about what your major/minor is in undergrad. It won't really matter in law school. I think the best thing to do is find something you enjoy and stick with it. I know lots of law school attendees that majored in english, government, history, philosophy, psychology....the list goes on.

As for preparation...concentrate on doing the things that will get you admitted to the best law school possible (LSAT, keep your grades up, don't blow up any buildings). Law school is there to teach you. You aren't expected to know everything coming in.

PS. UGA has a really neat law school. The location is awesome, and the cost is about as cheap as you can get.

gclemen1

Postby gclemen1 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:35 am

Are there any folks out there that are currently in UGA Law? If so, How are the job prospects and how do you like the school in general? I went to undergrad there for a year, so I like the city, but how is the Law school? Thnx.

conch republic

Re: University of Georgia School of Law

Postby conch republic » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:16 am

Last edited by conch republic on Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rfm05

Postby rfm05 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:33 am

I am interested in UGA, anyone else?

cbreault

Postby cbreault » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:58 am

I was an undergraduate at UGA. I have numerous friends who attend or have attended UGA Law. On the whole everyone seems to be very impressed with the faculty; especially and even those who were considering going to more highly ranked schools. Athens is often referred to as the best college town in America. If you are a heterosexual male, this place will certainly NOT let you down.
Graduates from the Law School enter private practice on average making 105,000 dollars starting; $120,000 in the ATL area (--LinkRemoved--). The law buildings and libraries are nice. The students seem to be a very close-nit group; I walk by the law school everyday and go downtown for lunch everyday and there is always a large group of law students congregating and conversing.
The only people I have ever known that had a negative perception of the Law School were those that I think have a problem with law school in general; they dislike the work load and the pressure, they dislike the kind of direct, in your face approach of legal education; they consequently also placed in the bottom of their respective law classes.
I know a number of people personally who went to UGA Law, had a great time in law school, made many friends, incurred very little debt, and are now either working at firms like Alston and Bird, and King and Spalding, or are clerking for federal district court judges.
I myself will attend UGA Law unless I can get into myself into T-14 (excluding Cornell and Penn).

hayman

Postby hayman » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:07 am

cbreault wrote:I myself will attend UGA Law unless I can get into myself into T-14 (excluding Cornell and Penn).

what's wrong with cornell and penn?

OssumPossum

Postby OssumPossum » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:20 pm

hayman wrote:
cbreault wrote:I myself will attend UGA Law unless I can get into myself into T-14 (excluding Cornell and Penn).

What are you kidding? I wouldn't go to cornell or penn if they PAID me. No really, if the PAID ME. In fact, I wouldn't even go to their campus or look at one of their students. I don't even like that I just typed the names of C****** and P***

Man. SUCK

Postby 18488 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:22 pm

OssumPossum wrote:
hayman wrote:

What are you kidding? I wouldn't go to cornell or penn if they PAID me. No really, if the PAID ME. In fact, I wouldn't even go to their campus or look at one of their students. I don't even like that I just typed the names of C****** and P***

Man. SUCK

care to explain your feelings

cc0800

Postby cc0800 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:35 pm

I'll troll for UGA in general.....once in a while I have a I should've gone to law school there moment...

bella16

Re:

Postby bella16 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:33 pm

DIL3RIUM wrote:i was looking at various law schools in GA because i recently moved here and i have wanted to attend law school for qiute some time now and i have a few questions.
1. does this law school accept the HOPE scholarship?
2. what should i minor/minor in before i attend law classes?
3. are there any tips that i could use in preparation for law school? (ex: organization etc.)
thanx for any helpful hints and explanations =]

The HOPE scholarship is for undergrad only. However, UGA Law has a Georgia Scholars program for students who went to UG in GA and did very well in UG.

rfm05

Postby rfm05 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:50 pm

Wow, I did not realize how cheap in state tuition is for UGA law. Definitely just got bumped to the top of my list due to the fact I want to work in ATL after law school.

wwarren

Postby wwarren » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:51 pm

For anyone that knows, would you suggest writing the optional diversity essay if you are a... white, middle-class, christian male from GA. The only thing that would add diversity is the fact that I'm a first generation college (Undergrad, even) graduate. What d'ya think?

rfm05

Postby rfm05 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:22 pm

wwarren wrote:For anyone that knows, would you suggest writing the optional diversity essay if you are a... white, middle-class, christian male from GA. The only thing that would add diversity is the fact that I'm a first generation college (Undergrad, even) graduate. What d'ya think?

I'm in the same boat as you, but the whole being white and middle class thing will overshadow any kind of diversity you could think of besides being an olympic gold medalist, decorated war hero, etc. I am not going to bother writing a diversity statement to UGA since I am familiar enough with the kind of people there and I know I am not very different from the current student body.

conch republic

Postby conch republic » Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:40 am

Last edited by conch republic on Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wwarren

Postby wwarren » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:50 am

No, it's just your basic "diversity" statement. What will you bring to this law school, student body, etc. I think I'll probably write it. What would you suggest for a length, conch? My PS is 900 words so should I aim for more of 400-500 for the diversity statement?

conch republic

Postby conch republic » Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:54 pm

Last edited by conch republic on Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jennylynn

Postby jennylynn » Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:18 pm

I visited UGA Law just a couple weeks ago. I loved it there! :D Definitely at the top of my list...now to wait for my Oct LSAT score... :|

rfm05

Postby rfm05 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:20 pm

I did an unofficial visit this past weekend while visiting some friends in Athens, and I will say that the law library is more impressive to me than the law school itself. Nonetheless it is very conveniently located on the north end of campus, closest to downtown. I like the feel of the campus in that it has lots of trees and green space and does not look too urban. To me that is a welcome change to the daily life of the urban jungle that is Atlanta. UGA is officially my top choice in Georgia at the moment.To me, the cost of Emory does not outweigh the marginal benefit over UGA, especially compared to instate tuition.

wwarren

Postby wwarren » Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:56 pm

I'm in the same boat, rfm, though I'm not extremely confident at being accepted at either school.

jennylynn

Postby jennylynn » Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:13 pm

Yeah, Emory is definitely much more expensive. UGA's reputation is almost as good in the Atlanta/Georgia area, so if that's where you want to practice, spending 4 times as much on tuition doesn't make much sense unless you just love Emory.

rfm05

Postby rfm05 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:13 am

Does anyone know if residency is established at the date of application, or the date or matriculation? I've lived in GA since May, and was wondering if that is long enough to establish residency.

IcedTeaWinter

Postby IcedTeaWinter » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:18 am

rfm05 wrote:Does anyone know if residency is established at the date of application, or the date or matriculation? I've lived in GA since May, and was wondering if that is long enough to establish residency.

I'm not positive about Georgia, but for some other states it is matriculation, not application. I bet it's the same in Georgia.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”