St. John's 2L Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Dark Prince

New

St. John's 2L Taking Questions

Post by Dark Prince » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:23 pm

About to start my second year at St. John's University School of Law. Feel free to ask any questions.

:lol:

Abeysekera

New

Re: St. John's 2L Taking Questions

Post by Abeysekera » Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:51 pm

hey, if you don't mind me asking, what was your LSAT and GPA?

dsap45

New

Post by dsap45 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:00 pm

were you able to secure some sort of legal employment this summer? if so, what exactly is it and were you able to do this with the assistance of career services, personal connections , etc.? and if you don't mind sharing, what is you rank/gpa?

barryb

New

Post by barryb » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:55 pm

Looking back on 1L, what advice can you give us that will lead us in the right direction towards success? Are there any aspects of your first year that you regret regarding study habits/time management/social life etc. that we can learn from and avoid? What were your impressions of 1L overall?

Dark Prince

New

Post by Dark Prince » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:48 am

Abeysekera wrote:hey, if you don't mind me asking, what was your LSAT and GPA?

162/3.7

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Dark Prince

New

Post by Dark Prince » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:50 am

dsap45 wrote:were you able to secure some sort of legal employment this summer? if so, what exactly is it and were you able to do this with the assistance of career services, personal connections , etc.? and if you don't mind sharing, what is you rank/gpa?

I'm currently finishing an unpaid judicial internship that I found by stopping by Manhattan Criminal Court and dropping off my resume with the Clerk's Office. Career services was not helpful and personal connections didn't come through.

My rank is 104/249

GPA: 3.2

Dark Prince

New

Post by Dark Prince » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:54 am

barryb wrote:Looking back on 1L, what advice can you give us that will lead us in the right direction towards success? Are there any aspects of your first year that you regret regarding study habits/time management/social life etc. that we can learn from and avoid? What were your impressions of 1L overall?

The most important thing in 1L success is getting lucky with your professors. Also, get other people's outlines (they have them at http://www.sjulaw.com) and start studying about a month before finals begin. Read the outlines every day, for at least an hour per outline. Make sure to complete your assignments on time, if you fall behind on reading, it's very very hard to catch up. Stay away from people that are always stressed out and people that are very eccentric. In terms of social life, put all parties and trips on hold starting from a month before the finals.

1L wasn't as bad as many people made it out to be. The only tough part was getting assigned a terrible professor or two who were incomprehensible and utterly unhelpful.

bulletreverb

New

Post by bulletreverb » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:12 am

Tips/advice for buying supplements?

Dark Prince

New

Post by Dark Prince » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:22 pm

bulletreverb wrote:Tips/advice for buying supplements?

Emmanuel's are the best. They're easy to read and include an outline that you can incorporate into yours. I don't recommend hornbooks because they're dense and hard to get through.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”