Too much Debt? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
bigmnstyle

Bronze

Re: Too much Debt?

Post by bigmnstyle » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:24 pm

Appreciate it, so it isn't necessarily 10 years for public service work is what I got out of it. Just has to be 120 payments. So you could forgive all your loans before 10 years if you make the 120 payments before 10 years correct? Just by adding an extra payment in here and there.

Brassica7

Bronze

Post by Brassica7 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:54 pm

bigmnstyle wrote:Appreciate it, so it isn't necessarily 10 years for public service work is what I got out of it. Just has to be 120 payments. So you could forgive all your loans before 10 years if you make the 120 payments before 10 years correct? Just by adding an extra payment in here and there.
I do not think that is how it works. Basically, the program wants to allow people with a lot of debt to take public interest jobs. In exchange for 10 years of this type of work, the government forgives your remaining loans, and only asks for payments relative to your income during those years. I believe you need to put in a full ten years of public interest work, not just make 120 payments. You can, however, split up those 10 years. So, you could work as an ADA for 7 years, join a firm for 4, and then go work in legal services for 3 years. Then, you would have all the remaining debt canceled without being taxed on the amount forgiven.
"Public interest job" includes any government or non-profit work. You could teach high school, join the military, etc, and still have your loans forgiven. Your job does not need to be law related in any way.
Also, your payments come out to about 10% of your income. I believe the exact calculation goes something like: take adjusted gross income, subtract 150% of Federal Poverty Line for your family size, pay 15% of the remainder. If you make 50k, you wind up paying about 5k/year for your loans.
This program is one of the reasons I am going to law school in the fall. I had planned to start two years ago, but backed out after acceptances because of debt load and likely salary range.

bigmnstyle

Bronze

Post by bigmnstyle » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:20 pm

very helpful, thanks!!!!

GettingReady2010

Bronze

Post by GettingReady2010 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:47 pm

Brassica7 wrote:
bigmnstyle wrote:Appreciate it, so it isn't necessarily 10 years for public service work is what I got out of it. Just has to be 120 payments. So you could forgive all your loans before 10 years if you make the 120 payments before 10 years correct? Just by adding an extra payment in here and there.
I do not think that is how it works. Basically, the program wants to allow people with a lot of debt to take public interest jobs. In exchange for 10 years of this type of work, the government forgives your remaining loans, and only asks for payments relative to your income during those years. I believe you need to put in a full ten years of public interest work, not just make 120 payments. You can, however, split up those 10 years. So, you could work as an ADA for 7 years, join a firm for 4, and then go work in legal services for 3 years. Then, you would have all the remaining debt canceled without being taxed on the amount forgiven.
"Public interest job" includes any government or non-profit work. You could teach high school, join the military, etc, and still have your loans forgiven. Your job does not need to be law related in any way.
Also, your payments come out to about 10% of your income. I believe the exact calculation goes something like: take adjusted gross income, subtract 150% of Federal Poverty Line for your family size, pay 15% of the remainder. If you make 50k, you wind up paying about 5k/year for your loans.
This program is one of the reasons I am going to law school in the fall. I had planned to start two years ago, but backed out after acceptances because of debt load and likely salary range.
This is obviously correct. Otherwise, someone could work for the government, make 120 payments over two years, get their debt completely forgiven, and then start working in the private sector.

lawgirl333

New

Post by lawgirl333 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:47 am

Don't take debt for law school at a T3 right now. Go read "jobless JD"

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

clintonius

Silver

Post by clintonius » Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:55 am

GettingReady2010 wrote:
dominkay wrote:
GettingReady2010 wrote:
dominkay wrote:IBR + LRAP = :)
You can take advantage of both simultaneously?
Yep. I was just reading about UVA's new LRAP a few days ago, where they actually make your IBR payments if you make under $55k.
That is awesome. I wish other schools would follow suit.
Isn't that really just an LRAP? I mean, it's still great. It just doesn't actually provide any benefit that an LRAP doesn't, in my understanding of the program. I thought the IBR + LRAP comment was hinting at getting a double benefit (which you're not going to find anywhere).
GettingReady2010 wrote:This is obviously correct. Otherwise, someone could work for the government, make 120 payments over two years, get their debt completely forgiven, and then start working in the private sector.
I think it would be difficult to make 120 payments at the minimum monthly amount over two years on a government salary.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”