Northwestern 2L taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
sidgey
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:02 pm

Re: Northwestern 2L taking questions

Postby sidgey » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:16 pm

probably for the best

User avatar
Sauer Grapes
Posts: 1222
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:02 am

Re: Northwestern 2L taking questions

Postby Sauer Grapes » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:56 pm

....
Last edited by Sauer Grapes on Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: Northwestern 2L taking questions

Postby rayiner » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:02 am

sidgey wrote:I'd like to welcome everyone to the listserv!

And Corsair, I'm a CHICK not a DUDE. Sheesh.


FYI, Corsair, she's a hot chick too. ;)

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: Northwestern 2L taking questions

Postby rayiner » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:49 am

boo jersey shore wrote:
rayiner wrote:
sidgey wrote:I'd like to welcome everyone to the listserv!

And Corsair, I'm a CHICK not a DUDE. Sheesh.


FYI, Corsair, she's a hot chick too. ;)

If you and I don't have a drink before orientation, violence will ensue.

:lol:

Get in touch when you get back from NYC. ;)

User avatar
Sauer Grapes
Posts: 1222
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:02 am

Re: Northwestern 2L taking questions

Postby Sauer Grapes » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:42 am

rayiner wrote:
boo jersey shore wrote:
rayiner wrote:
sidgey wrote:I'd like to welcome everyone to the listserv!

And Corsair, I'm a CHICK not a DUDE. Sheesh.


FYI, Corsair, she's a hot chick too. ;)

If you and I don't have a drink before orientation, violence will ensue.

:lol:

Get in touch when you get back from NYC. ;)

How's OCI going?

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Northwestern 2L taking questions

Postby Dany » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:56 am

I'll be applying this fall without any work experience, and I was wondering if you had any tips for my interview.

I have worked my way through college, I'm generally seen as very mature, and I interview well, but I just want to make sure I give off the best impression possible during my interview since I don't have any work experience.

Thanks in advance!

(Also, I hope that doesn't sound pretentious, I just mean that people usually think I'm older than I am and I'm not really the typical fun-loving undergrad, which is why Northwestern's more professional and slightly older student body really appeals to me.)

User avatar
sidgey
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:02 pm

Re: Northwestern 2L taking questions

Postby sidgey » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:22 pm

How's OCI going?


Exhausting. How's it going for you?

User avatar
sidgey
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:02 pm

Re: Northwestern 2L taking questions

Postby sidgey » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:23 pm

eskimo wrote:I'll be applying this fall without any work experience, and I was wondering if you had any tips for my interview.

I have worked my way through college, I'm generally seen as very mature, and I interview well, but I just want to make sure I give off the best impression possible during my interview since I don't have any work experience.

Thanks in advance!

(Also, I hope that doesn't sound pretentious, I just mean that people usually think I'm older than I am and I'm not really the typical fun-loving undergrad, which is why Northwestern's more professional and slightly older student body really appeals to me.)


It sounds like you're a good candidate for not having any experience. Though I haven't known anyone to get in out of undergrad unless they got a full scholly cuz their academic record was so outstanding.

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Northwestern 2L taking questions

Postby Dany » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:11 pm

sidgey wrote:
eskimo wrote:I'll be applying this fall without any work experience, and I was wondering if you had any tips for my interview.

I have worked my way through college, I'm generally seen as very mature, and I interview well, but I just want to make sure I give off the best impression possible during my interview since I don't have any work experience.

Thanks in advance!

(Also, I hope that doesn't sound pretentious, I just mean that people usually think I'm older than I am and I'm not really the typical fun-loving undergrad, which is why Northwestern's more professional and slightly older student body really appeals to me.)


It sounds like you're a good candidate for not having any experience. Though I haven't known anyone to get in out of undergrad unless they got a full scholly cuz their academic record was so outstanding.

Thanks! I know sometimes they offer admission if you defer, and I'd be fine with that, too. I just really hope to attend school and eventually practice in Chicago, and NU is kind of a dream school.

User avatar
Sauer Grapes
Posts: 1222
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:02 am

Re: Northwestern 2L taking questions

Postby Sauer Grapes » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:32 pm

sidgey wrote:
How's OCI going?


Exhausting. How's it going for you?

I've only had 4 so far. No callbacks yet, but I think today went fairly well. We'll see though.

User avatar
hmlee
Posts: 365
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:12 pm

Re: Northwestern 2L taking questions

Postby hmlee » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:11 pm

sidgey wrote:
How's OCI going?


Exhausting. How's it going for you?


So agreed.

User avatar
sidgey
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:02 pm

Re: Northwestern 2L taking questions

Postby sidgey » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:17 am

@Sauer Grapes: I heard Craig stabbed someone in the eye... is that true?!

User avatar
Sauer Grapes
Posts: 1222
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:02 am

Re: Northwestern 2L taking questions

Postby Sauer Grapes » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:05 pm

sidgey wrote:@Sauer Grapes: I heard Craig stabbed someone in the eye... is that true?!

Haha... I think I should let the stories stay a mystery so you don't know which ones are true and which ones are rumors. I will say that, if he ever did stab someone in the eye (or any other crazy story), it would have only been for a very good reason. Despite the rumors, he's not a violent person at all.

username9
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:31 pm

Re: Northwestern 2L taking questions

Postby username9 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:27 pm

Need help from Northwestern Student.

I have a prof this semester who previously taught at Northwestern. The ONLY previous exam I could find is in the Northwestern databank and is password protected. Please pm me if you can help. Thanks!

User avatar
thisiswater1488
Posts: 55
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Northwestern 2L taking questions

Postby thisiswater1488 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:58 pm

.
Last edited by thisiswater1488 on Mon May 23, 2011 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
thesybarite
Posts: 108
Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:35 pm

Re: Northwestern 2L taking questions

Postby thesybarite » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:48 pm

Any advice you can give re the interview? I am interviewing off-campus in a couple of weeks.

Miranda 18
Posts: 64
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:32 pm

Re: Northwestern 2L taking questions

Postby Miranda 18 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:42 pm

I just set up my interview with an NU alumni but I am a bit concerned. It seems as though most students with WE have a background in business. Does anyone know of any students who had WE in non-profit or government work before they law school? I feel as though my WE is extensive but I am not sure it will compare to others who are applying who worked for businesses as analysts or accountants.

yellowjacket2012
Posts: 283
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:01 pm

Re: Northwestern 2L taking questions

Postby yellowjacket2012 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:47 pm

Miranda 18 wrote:I just set up my interview with an NU alumni but I am a bit concerned. It seems as though most students with WE have a background in business. Does anyone know of any students who had WE in non-profit or government work before they law school? I feel as though my WE is extensive but I am not sure it will compare to others who are applying who worked for businesses as analysts or accountants.

I had zero experience in business of any sort, I just did a Masters in engineering and was admitted last year.

angelchild03
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:47 pm

Re: Northwestern 2L taking questions

Postby angelchild03 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:57 pm

Miranda 18 wrote:I just set up my interview with an NU alumni but I am a bit concerned. It seems as though most students with WE have a background in business. Does anyone know of any students who had WE in non-profit or government work before they law school? I feel as though my WE is extensive but I am not sure it will compare to others who are applying who worked for businesses as analysts or accountants.


There are people at NU with a background in nonprofit (myself included)...we're not in the majority, but we're here.

User avatar
YellowCake
Posts: 91
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: Northwestern 2L taking questions

Postby YellowCake » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:22 am

Miranda 18 wrote:I just set up my interview with an NU alumni but I am a bit concerned. It seems as though most students with WE have a background in business. Does anyone know of any students who had WE in non-profit or government work before they law school? I feel as though my WE is extensive but I am not sure it will compare to others who are applying who worked for businesses as analysts or accountants.


I'm from the not for profit world, and I'm here. There are a ton of teach for america people as well.

Miranda 18
Posts: 64
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:32 pm

Re: Northwestern 2L taking questions

Postby Miranda 18 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:23 am

Do you think it puts you at a disadvantage in terms of jobs compared to your classmates? It seems because most students at NU have work experience those who don't will seem to have less of an edge, do you think that's a fair statement or would you say if one does well at Northwestern they have a equal chance at job opportunities?

User avatar
tome
Posts: 275
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:17 pm

Re: Northwestern 2L taking questions

Postby tome » Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:32 am

Miranda 18 wrote:Do you think it puts you at a disadvantage in terms of jobs compared to your classmates? It seems because most students at NU have work experience those who don't will seem to have less of an edge, do you think that's a fair statement or would you say if one does well at Northwestern they have a equal chance at job opportunities?



I think having no work experience probably sticks out a bit more because at OCI you will be juxtaposed with people with decent work experience. That being said, most people do not really have great work experience--at least not the experience that law firms really value. The main advantage is people are slightly older and more mature.

That being said, I did fine with zero work experience, and the person I know who did the best at OCI had 1 year of nothing work experience.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Northwestern 2L taking questions

Postby 09042014 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:54 pm

Did anyone have Redish for Civ Pro?

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: Northwestern 2L taking questions

Postby rayiner » Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:14 pm

Miranda 18 wrote:Do you think it puts you at a disadvantage in terms of jobs compared to your classmates? It seems because most students at NU have work experience those who don't will seem to have less of an edge, do you think that's a fair statement or would you say if one does well at Northwestern they have a equal chance at job opportunities?


It depends on your grades. The top grade-sensitive firms will hire you work experience or not. However, the people pulling V50s from below median are doing so based largely on their work experience.

Miranda 18
Posts: 64
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:32 pm

Re: Northwestern 2L taking questions

Postby Miranda 18 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:10 pm

rayiner wrote:
Miranda 18 wrote:Do you think it puts you at a disadvantage in terms of jobs compared to your classmates? It seems because most students at NU have work experience those who don't will seem to have less of an edge, do you think that's a fair statement or would you say if one does well at Northwestern they have a equal chance at job opportunities?


It depends on your grades. The top grade-sensitive firms will hire you work experience or not. However, the people pulling V50s from below median are doing so based largely on their work experience.



Thanks!




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Socratease and 4 guests