Northwestern 2L taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
isaiahnielsen

New

Re: Northwestern 2L taking questions

Post by isaiahnielsen » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:42 am

Desert Fox wrote:
isaiahnielsen wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
isaiahnielsen wrote:honestly: is this a good time to go to law school? i really believe that law is where i am meant to work, all the way down to my demeanor and my natural way of thinking. but i am getting completely freaked out by all the negative forecasting and horror stories that are going around about going to law school right now and then trying to work in the profession. the more research i do, the more it seems like i should wait awhile and just go get a paralegal certificate and work, as there seems to be much higher demand for paralegals (and much less debt) than for lawyers. my only concern with that is i already am a little older than median age, and if i wait a couple of years to see how the economy morphs, i will be 30 or 31 and just starting law school, which i feel may be a little old. curious how current law students feel about this issue.
Don't get a certificate just get a job, teh cert isn't necessary. 30 or 31 is not too old. I think HollyGL is 35.
well, even if i don't finish the certificate, i want to take some intro law classes as: 1) i have never taken any law classes, and i would like to have some more familiarity with the field than i currently do; 2) many firms are hesitant to hire me because i was actually a music major (which was not a well thought out major i might add) and so i feel with some legal classes behind me and the help of a career center, i may have a better chance of getting in to a firm; 3) paralegals often have a better chance of making more money than a legal secretary, which is usually what you are hired as if you don't have a certificate; 4) my GPA, which was already sort of low (because again, not a well thought out undergrad major) got knocked down even more by LSAC in the Academic Summary Report. So my hope is that by taking some classes at the community college, not only will i get some more knowledge about the field and also get a better reading of my aptitude for the it (besides just thinking i will make a good lawyer based on my personality), but also hopefully (I am waiting for LSAC to get back to me on this) if I do well in the intro classes, I can submit them to LSAC along with my other grades and possibly raise my GPA a bit, since they are still considered undergrad classes.
I've heard paralegal classes are nothing like law classes. Though I could see their writing class being somewhat relevant.
Below is a list of the classes I am taking:

Introduction to Law & the Legal Process: CD
Civil Procedure
Legal Research
Contracts
Intellectual Property
Corporations, LLCs & Partnerships
Legal Ethics (possibly)
Legal Internship
Legal Seminars
Job Placement Seminar

ejbjch

New

Post by ejbjch » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:41 pm

Hello all!
I just got in ED and I am really excited!
I have a question about housing. Should I start looking now? I have a friend going to NU Med School and she said that she found housing back in fall and that I should start looking...Also, where is a good place to live? I want to live close to campus (preferably one-bedroom).
Thanks!

dddhhh

Bronze

Post by dddhhh » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:47 am

ejbjch wrote:Hello all!
I just got in ED and I am really excited!
I have a question about housing. Should I start looking now? I have a friend going to NU Med School and she said that she found housing back in fall and that I should start looking...Also, where is a good place to live? I want to live close to campus (preferably one-bedroom).
Thanks!

Hi- Congrats!
I found that the website they provided on their admitted students page (under housing) is really helpful for finding housing near the school. I registered with the site and browsed through several listings. Then, someone actually contacted me about seeing a couple places when I'm in town, also they can help you through email. Hope that helps!

niederbomb

Silver

Post by niederbomb » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:58 am

Question: What are my chances applying for the JD/MBA as a 1L versus doing the combined application?

They said "it's recommended" to do the applications together but wouldn't tell me more.

I have 3 years work experience (some of it pretty good), but I need a few months to review math for the GMAT quantitative section. All I have is the LSAT right now (it's a little above median, and my GPA is significantly above median).

NW + fat scholly + top3 MBA sounds like a pretty sweet deal. Any idea how I can pull it off without waiting a cycle?

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:41 pm

niederbomb wrote:Question: What are my chances applying for the JD/MBA as a 1L versus doing the combined application?

They said "it's recommended" to do the applications together but wouldn't tell me more.

I have 3 years work experience (some of it pretty good), but I need a few months to review math for the GMAT quantitative section. All I have is the LSAT right now (it's a little above median, and my GPA is significantly above median).

NW + fat scholly + top3 MBA sounds like a pretty sweet deal. Any idea how I can pull it off without waiting a cycle?
Your #'s have to be way above median for this. Also, jury is still out as to whether jd/mba kids get any money at all.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lgleye

Bronze

Post by lgleye » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:49 pm

Last edited by lgleye on Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lgleye

Bronze

Post by lgleye » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:56 am

Last edited by lgleye on Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lgleye

Bronze

Post by lgleye » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:45 pm

tararojer

New

Post by tararojer » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:36 am

SPAM

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?