Law School
Admissions
Law
Schools
Law
Students
TLS
Forums

Forum Index     Latest Posts     Forum Search     Mobile (on/off)     See Also: Rankings/Profiles   Interviews   LSAT Prep   TLS Stats

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Useless Law Schools
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:31 pm 

romothesavior wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:
I'll give you a hint the ones graduating from schools like Loyola-LA, Pace, Barry, Georgetown, Syracuse, etc are the ones you don't want to hire.

This.

Whoa! How does GULC make it to that list? :shock:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:34 pm 

grins_at_bemusement wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:
I'll give you a hint the ones graduating from schools like Loyola-LA, Pace, Barry, Georgetown, Syracuse, etc are the ones you don't want to hire.

This.

Whoa! How does GULC make it to that list? :shock:

humor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:24 pm 

Quote:
ummm im pretty sure if you got into NYU or Gtown you would go regardless of this

I'm pretty sure I won't be applying to schools that lack integrity.

Please explain to me why this a "lack of integrity". Aren't schools free to evaluate their students as they see fit?

BTW: Georgetown did not retroactively up any grades. It only upped the curve prospectively.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:29 pm 

I wish I could hate on this, but UT Law inflates grades by using a 4.3 scale.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:34 pm 

JazzOne wrote:

Tons of schools are adding the A+ grade as a formal grade. It used to be optional at some schools (and teachers never gave them out), and now it is part of the curve for every class.

For what it is worth, the grouping together for moral assessment (1) retroactive grade changing with (2) changing the curve in the future, is a huge mistake. Curves have been going up for decades now at pretty much every law school, and other areas of study. Once upon a time, a C was average. But the retroactive grade changing is a new phenomenon and should be treated differently.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:39 pm 

sumus romani wrote:
JazzOne wrote:

Tons of schools are adding the A+ grade as a formal grade. It used to be optional at some schools (and teachers never gave them out), and now it is part of the curve for every class.

For what it is worth, the grouping together for moral assessment (1) retroactive grade changing with (2) changing the curve in the future, is a huge mistake. Curves have been going up for decades now at pretty much every law school, and other areas of study. Once upon a time, a C was average. But the retroactive grade changing is a new phenomenon and should be treated differently.

I agree that retroactive grade changing is fundamentally different from implementing an A+ curve. However, I also believe the A+ curve is a thinly veiled attempt to give students higher GPAs.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:47 pm 

JazzOne wrote:
sumus romani wrote:
JazzOne wrote:

I agree that retroactive grade changing is fundamentally different from implementing an A+ curve. However, I also believe the A+ curve is a thinly veiled attempt to give students higher GPAs.

Undoubtedly. It doesn't necessarily raise the median (well, it could be set up that way, but doesn't have to be), but for those who have a 4.01+ gpa, it really sets them up for great jobs.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:49 pm 

TheTopBloke wrote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/22/business/22law.html?src=me

WTF?!? This is pathetic. Where's the integrity? I will no longer be applying to the law schools that do this.

It's an insult, and degrades the JD. I don't give a shit about your debts! Grow up you spineless bitches! You're supposed to be lawyers!

Ok, don't apply to HYSCNB. No skin off my back.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:49 pm 

Quote:
Tons of schools are adding the A+ grade as a formal grade.

I appreciate the way that GULC does it. The A+ still only counts as a 4.0 on the transcript, and profs are only instructed to award it for truly outstanding performance- once every few years.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:00 pm 

seems like a good idea to me. gets the students to look more attractive without compromising anyone's rank, someone who is 50th in the class is still 50th after they increase gpas. if ur an employer and dumb enough to fall for this, then thats your problem.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:10 pm 

itsfine wrote:
if ur an employer and dumb enough to fall for this, then thats your problem.

--ImageRemoved--

ggocat wrote:
slider wrote:
My prediction is that employers will focus on class rank when GPA becomes useless.

All students aren't ranked at all schools.