2L Charlotte law taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
elonlawgrad

Re: 2L Charlotte law taking questions

Postby elonlawgrad » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:36 pm

beachbum wrote:Whatever happened to Charlotte Q&A? We made it through all of three questions before abandoning that idea entirely. But an Elon thread might also be a productive use of everyone's time. You know, instead of constantly arguing over stupid shit.

-Beachbum, elitist asshole

I responded because Elon was placed in the same category as Charlotte...I thought I'd weigh in on the discussion since I have first-hand experience with the school and education.

What is it you would like to discuss?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:38 pm

rad law wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
r6_philly wrote: When the economy shifts and create new jobs, they will be more competitive than people without degrees.

A bold claim to assume the economy will shift and create a bunch of new jobs. I think it is especially bold to imply that the market can absorb the shit ton of people with graduate and law degrees, not to mention pay them well enough to allow them to pay off their loans.

This.

Read my response to that above. Wasn't talking short term and high paying jobs. I mean "jobs" as in any employment that pays. When there are more open positions as a whole in the market, people with more education have a better short at the better jobs. Not so in a crowded market, but that changes in the long run.

elonlawgrad

Postby elonlawgrad » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:38 pm

rad law wrote:
elonlawgrad wrote:I asked what you do for a living...not where do you work? Impressive, yet doubtful seeing as you spend a significant amount of time on this website worrying about TTT law schools.

He's messing with you.

clearly, but I point out the fact that his inability to answer the question asked could be a problem in his legal career.
Last edited by elonlawgrad on Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:40 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:Yale/2005/Skadden

Do you get depressed ever? Do you know what happiness really meant? Do you know why you are alive?

If the answers are not too obvious then "Yale/2005/Skadden" or "Cooley/2009/unemployment" doesn't really matter anyway.

Disclaimer: my opinion because I am a happy person.

elonlawgrad

Postby elonlawgrad » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:42 pm

I apologize, I have stooped to a low level, and that was not my purpose in commenting in the first place.

It is frustrating to read people's comments expressing generalized opinions about the intelligence of people who go to TTT schools and I wanted to comment.

If anyone has any questions about Elon, then fine; I'm happy to respond.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:44 pm

Don't feel bad. The thread is 4 months old. I ceased being an informational thread about Charlotte before it was a bumped.

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:46 pm

r6_philly wrote:

Do you get depressed ever? Do you know what happiness really meant? Do you know why you are alive?

If the answers are not too obvious then "Yale/2005/Skadden" or "Cooley/2009/unemployment" doesn't really matter anyway.

If you were really a happy person you wouldn't be trying to validate your life in an online forum.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:48 pm

elonlawgrad wrote:I'm not saying that any one of the three (the LSAT, law school, the Bar) alone is a good weed out point. I don't have all the answers. What I am doing is defending the fact that I am an intelligent person, I got a 158 on the LSAT, I graduated from law school, I passed the Bar and I got a job AS A LAWYER! The fact that I didn't go to a top tier law school does not diminish the fact that I am a lawyer and does not mean you are more qualified for a particular job than I am. There are other factors that go into someone's ability to perform as an attorney beyond those that can be quantified through testing, one being the ability to respond to an argument without resorting to sarcasm and belittlement.

No one's suggesting it's impossible to land a decent job from from a lower-ranked school. But it is a hell of a lot harder. You probably graduated in the top 10 (if not the top 5%) of your class, and happened to get very lucky.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:50 pm

elonlawgrad wrote:I apologize, I have stooped to a low level, and that was not my purpose in commenting in the first place.

It is frustrating to read people's comments expressing generalized opinions about the intelligence of people who go to TTT schools and I wanted to comment.

There we go; way to be the better man (woman?). Maybe I'm getting jaded in my (over)exposure to TLS, but the constant name-calling and senseless arguing is getting old (unless it's funny, in which case all bets are off). In this case, a frank discussion of Elon is a much better use of everyone's time than debates over TTTs and elitism. Besides, I think everyone can agree that I'm better than all of you in one way or another.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:53 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

If you were really a happy person you wouldn't be trying to validate your life in an online forum.

I didn't. I never said where I was going, or what my life is about in this thread. I was trying to stop you from doing that. Yale? Really? I am disappointed.

Add: now I know you don't get it. The only person that could validate your life with is you. So for you to accuse me of doing otherwise means you don't understand that concept.
Last edited by r6_philly on Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:55 pm

beachbum wrote:
elonlawgrad wrote:I apologize, I have stooped to a low level, and that was not my purpose in commenting in the first place.

There we go; way to be the better man (woman?). Maybe I'm getting jaded in my (over)exposure to TLS, but the constant name-calling and senseless arguing is getting old (unless it's funny, in which case all bets are off). In this case, a frank discussion of Elon is a much better use of everyone's time than debates over TTTs and elitism. Besides, I think everyone can agree that I'm better than all of you in one way or another.

:lol:

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:56 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Nicholasnickynic wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

I didn't. I never said where I was going, or what my life is about in this thread. I was trying to stop you from doing that. Yale? Really? I am disappointed.

I bet you are. But don't worry about it man. Most people can't get in. I'm sure you still go to a good school.

Also, whats all this about elitism?

Law school admissions and grades are a meritocracy. Since hiring is based on those factors, hiring is also a meritocracy.
Last edited by Nicholasnickynic on Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:00 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:
I bet you are. But don't worry about it man. Most people can't get in. I'm sure you still go to a good school.

Also, whats all this about elitism.
Law school admissions and grades are a meritocracy. Since hiring is based on those factors, hiring is also a meritocracy.

You surely can read better than that. I agree about the existence and reality about meritocracy and elitism. Why are you picking a fight with me?

Most people can't do most things in life, what does that prove?

But since that's 2 reading fails on your part, Yale or not (really), you really disappoint.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:01 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:Also, whats all this about elitism?

What are you talking about? Yale doesn't grade or rank?

So hiring at Yale is not based on those factors. Why don't you know that?

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:02 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Nicholasnickynic wrote:

Also, whats all this about elitism.

You surely can read better than that. I agree about the existence and reality about meritocracy and elitism. Why are you picking a fight with me?

Most people can't do most things in life, what does that prove?

But since that's 2 reading fails on your part, Yale or not (really), you really disappoint.

Not getting into yale really messed you up, huh? Theres no need to lash out at me. I would think such a happy person would be more relaxed.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:03 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:
Not getting into yale really messed you up, huh? Theres no need to lash out at me. I would think such a happy person would be more relaxed.

Apparently we feel at least the same way about not getting into Yale. :roll:
Last edited by r6_philly on Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

elonlawgrad

Postby elonlawgrad » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:03 pm

r6_philly wrote:Don't feel bad. The thread is 4 months old. I ceased being an informational thread about Charlotte before it was a bumped.

I realize that, but I didn't comment to end up making a personal attack. Even though I didn't go to Yale and I don't work for Skadden, I am a lawyer (which, I'm glad you recognize). Maybe Yale/Skadden (right) guy will be a better attorney than me, but maybe not. I am proud of what I have accomplished; I am happy with the law job I have; and even though I see some of the points others have made on this thread (even if it did quickly turn from questions about Charlotte law) and in the end if you pass the Bar, then you are a lawyer. Once you pass the Bar, you dictate what you can achieve. For some of us, working at big law firms (assuming that's what you want...although, not for me) would just take a lot more effort. I have great respect for other lawyers and hope I never make anyone feel as if their accomplishments mean nothing. (I don't feel that way, but I think that was some people's goal.)

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:04 pm

Don't worry, he didn't either. You guys need to know more about Internet trolls. Fortunately, I'm here to help since this is my arena...

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:05 pm

Correct, but when we degenerate into a debate of happiness and self-worth, something has gone terribly wrong.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:09 pm

beachbum wrote:

Correct, but when we degenerate into a debate of happiness and self-worth, something has gone terribly wrong.

Why, self-worth and happiness is the pinnacle of Philosophy since we pretty much do everything because of them. Putting the focus on wrong things is what drive people mad. In the end the simply life may be more rewarding than the Skadden life. (A little bit of Hindu in me)

elonlawgrad

Postby elonlawgrad » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:27 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
elonlawgrad wrote:I'm not saying that any one of the three (the LSAT, law school, the Bar) alone is a good weed out point. I don't have all the answers. What I am doing is defending the fact that I am an intelligent person, I got a 158 on the LSAT, I graduated from law school, I passed the Bar and I got a job AS A LAWYER! The fact that I didn't go to a top tier law school does not diminish the fact that I am a lawyer and does not mean you are more qualified for a particular job than I am. There are other factors that go into someone's ability to perform as an attorney beyond those that can be quantified through testing, one being the ability to respond to an argument without resorting to sarcasm and belittlement.

No one's suggesting it's impossible to land a decent job from from a lower-ranked school. But it is a hell of a lot harder. You probably graduated in the top 10 (if not the top 5%) of your class, and happened to get very lucky.

I never denied the fact that it's more difficult. In fact, I have strongly agreed. My situation is actually nothing like you described. I was no where near the top of my class, but I am tenaciuos and personable and created an opportunity for myself. I have worked hard to prove myself at my firm (as much as one can in two years). I admit it wasn't easy and I learn something new every day, and still have much to learn. My point is, you determine how far you go. If you can't land a job, then open your own firm. It might not be easy or glamorous at first, but it's better than sitting around complaining about TTT graduates getting jobs they "don't deserve."

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:25 pm

elonlawgrad wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:

I never denied the fact that it's more difficult. In fact, I have strongly agreed. My situation is actually nothing like you described. I was no where near the top of my class, but I am tenaciuos and personable and created an opportunity for myself. I have worked hard to prove myself at my firm (as much as one can in two years). I admit it wasn't easy and I learn something new every day, and still have much to learn. My point is, you determine how far you go. If you can't land a job, then open your own firm. It might not be easy or glamorous at first, but it's better than sitting around complaining about TTT graduates getting jobs they "don't deserve."

If you could graduate from a TTT "nowhere near the top of your class" and still get a job, much less a decent one, then kudos to you. Seriously. That speaks volumes of your drive and interpersonal skills.

You are clearly an exceptional person. These days, even mid to lower T1 graduates at the top of their classes are struggling to find work.

But what worked for you will not work for most people. Depending on the market, even high T1s can be a gamble. In the end, you lucked out. I am in no way implying you don't deserve to be gainfully employed. Just know that what worked for you will not work for 9 out of 10 other people.

elonlawgrad

Postby elonlawgrad » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:54 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
elonlawgrad wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:

If you could graduate from a TTT "nowhere near the top of your class" and still get a job, much less a decent one, then kudos to you. Seriously. That speaks volumes of your drive and interpersonal skills.

You are clearly an exceptional person. These days, even mid to lower T1 graduates at the top of their classes are struggling to find work.

But what worked for you will not work for most people. Depending on the market, even high T1s can be a gamble. In the end, you lucked out. I am in no way implying you don't deserve to be gainfully employed. Just know that what worked for you will not work for 9 out of 10 other people.

I truly appreciate your response!! I wish I had tried harder in law school and actually graduated near the top, but because I didn't, I had to make up for it elsewhere. I do feel very fortunate (and lucky, I guess) to be where I am now, especially knowing I am the exception rather than the rule. (a fact that makes me even more proud of my accomplishments) I suppose I wooed the right people. In my personal opinion, I think I was willing to work hard to get my job and to keep it, whereas some others feel entitled to jobs simply because they graduated from higher ranking schools. I certainly commend those who have graduated from top tier schools. I, too would find the lack of work disappointing; but I suggest they get creative in their quest to find work (maybe make a few adjustments in their plan...and as humiliating as it may be to them, start volunteering at a firm and figure out a way to make yourself invaluable), and in the case of those who do feel a sense of entitlement, maybe a dose of humility. But again, I appreciate the kudos.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”