Akron Law (comments from a 2L)

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Akron Law (comments from a 2L)

Postby romothesavior » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:43 am

paz wrote:so this is the thread you chose to save the bj yoda for, romo? haha. i caught the other post pre-edit.


Yep haha. I figured it was deserving of something a little better than that thread. I was hoping no one noticed. Our little secret?

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Akron Law (comments from a 2L)

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:46 am

dresden doll wrote:
rad law wrote:
legallyblonde27 wrote:If the scholarship is lost, I will have no worries or remorse for paying sticker. The End.


A fool and her money are soon parted.


:lol: :lol: :lol:

Also, LOL at DF for intentionally mistaking school's name.


It's nice to be noticed. When she says its the seventh best midwest school, I assume she means school that midwesterners never heard of. Behind UChi, WUSTL, that fake Cornell in Iowa, and several others.

User avatar
dresden doll
Posts: 6802
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:11 am

Re: Akron Law (comments from a 2L)

Postby dresden doll » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:49 am

Desert Fox wrote:
dresden doll wrote:
rad law wrote:
legallyblonde27 wrote:If the scholarship is lost, I will have no worries or remorse for paying sticker. The End.


A fool and her money are soon parted.


:lol: :lol: :lol:

Also, LOL at DF for intentionally mistaking school's name.


It's nice to be noticed. When she says its the seventh best midwest school, I assume she means school that midwesterners never heard of. Behind UChi, WUSTL, that fake Cornell in Iowa, and several others.


I dunno, sounds to me like a GPA boost is a-coming!

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Akron Law (comments from a 2L)

Postby romothesavior » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:50 am

Desert Fox wrote:
dresden doll wrote:
rad law wrote:
legallyblonde27 wrote:If the scholarship is lost, I will have no worries or remorse for paying sticker. The End.


A fool and her money are soon parted.


:lol: :lol: :lol:

Also, LOL at DF for intentionally mistaking school's name.


It's nice to be noticed. When she says its the seventh best midwest school, I assume she means school that midwesterners never heard of. Behind UChi, WUSTL, that fake Cornell in Iowa, and several others.


I have never heard of her festering TTT undergrad. And I almost went to that fake Cornell to play baseball... they have like a weird class schedule there. You take one class for 6 weeks and then start another one, instead of having a semester load of classes.

User avatar
MrKappus
Posts: 1685
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:46 am

Re: Akron Law (comments from a 2L)

Postby MrKappus » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:52 am

2Cool4LawSchool wrote:A: 14
A-: 11
B+: 11
B: 16
B-: 21
C+: 22
C: 18
C-: 12
D+: 8
D: 2
D-: 5
F: 5


10% A's is better than my T1 by, like, double.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Akron Law (comments from a 2L)

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:53 am

romothesavior wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
dresden doll wrote:
rad law wrote:
A fool and her money are soon parted.


:lol: :lol: :lol:

Also, LOL at DF for intentionally mistaking school's name.


It's nice to be noticed. When she says its the seventh best midwest school, I assume she means school that midwesterners never heard of. Behind UChi, WUSTL, that fake Cornell in Iowa, and several others.


I have never heard of her festering TTT undergrad. And I almost went to that fake Cornell to play baseball... they have like a weird class schedule there. You take one class for 6 weeks and then start another one, instead of having a semester load of classes.


Yea, my cousin said she was going to Cornell, and I was semi-impressed, then she talked about Iowa, and I was confused.

That schedule sucks.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Akron Law (comments from a 2L)

Postby romothesavior » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:56 am

Desert Fox wrote:Yea, my cousin said she was going to Cornell, and I was semi-impressed, then she talked about Iowa, and I was confused.

That schedule sucks.


LOL at being impressed by the only Ivy less TTT than Brown.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Akron Law (comments from a 2L)

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:57 am

romothesavior wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Yea, my cousin said she was going to Cornell, and I was semi-impressed, then she talked about Iowa, and I was confused.

That schedule sucks.


LOL at being impressed by the only Ivy less TTT than Brown.


It's the midwest, I didn't know what schools made up the Ivy League until recently.

User avatar
MrKappus
Posts: 1685
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:46 am

Re: Akron Law (comments from a 2L)

Postby MrKappus » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:59 am

romothesavior wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Yea, my cousin said she was going to Cornell, and I was semi-impressed, then she talked about Iowa, and I was confused.

That schedule sucks.


LOL at being impressed by the only Ivy less TTT than Brown.


I really don't get how LS prestige soaks TLSer's panties, but Ivy League schools don't.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Akron Law (comments from a 2L)

Postby romothesavior » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:03 am

Desert Fox wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Yea, my cousin said she was going to Cornell, and I was semi-impressed, then she talked about Iowa, and I was confused.

That schedule sucks.


LOL at being impressed by the only Ivy less TTT than Brown.


It's the midwest, I didn't know what schools made up the Ivy League until recently.


I was talking to a girl at a bar one time who was bragging about going to Brown, and I just told her, "Cool. I'm going to college for free." She didn't really seem too interested after that.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Akron Law (comments from a 2L)

Postby Grizz » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:08 am

MrKappus wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Yea, my cousin said she was going to Cornell, and I was semi-impressed, then she talked about Iowa, and I was confused.

That schedule sucks.


LOL at being impressed by the only Ivy less TTT than Brown.


I really don't get how LS prestige soaks TLSer's panties, but Ivy League schools don't.


It's just a fancier high school diploma these days.

User avatar
MrKappus
Posts: 1685
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:46 am

Re: Akron Law (comments from a 2L)

Postby MrKappus » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:10 am

rad law wrote:It's just a fancier high school diploma these days.


A fancy diploma that gets you i-bank/big3 consulting offers.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Akron Law (comments from a 2L)

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:21 am

MrKappus wrote:
rad law wrote:It's just a fancier high school diploma these days.


A fancy diploma that gets you i-bank/big3 consulting offers.


In 2010, how many of the ivy leaguers get ibanking at a good bank if they want it?

User avatar
MrKappus
Posts: 1685
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:46 am

Re: Akron Law (comments from a 2L)

Postby MrKappus » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:23 am

Desert Fox wrote:In 2010, how many of the ivy leaguers get ibanking at a good bank if they want it?


Not sure, did consulting. :) You make a good point, but the % is still higher than non-Ivy grads that want banking. It's just about odds, I guess (like law school).

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Akron Law (comments from a 2L)

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:38 am

MrKappus wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:In 2010, how many of the ivy leaguers get ibanking at a good bank if they want it?


Not sure, did consulting. :) You make a good point, but the % is still higher than non-Ivy grads that want banking. It's just about odds, I guess (like law school).


I have no idea what he number is. If it's high you have a great point, but if its low, even if normal schools are less, then its not really a huge factor. If a person were deadset on Ibanking, then yes Ivy makes a huge difference. But the vast majority of undergrads aren't looking for that kind of work.

User avatar
MrKappus
Posts: 1685
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:46 am

Re: Akron Law (comments from a 2L)

Postby MrKappus » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:45 am

Desert Fox wrote:I have no idea what he number is. If it's high you have a great point, but if its low, even if normal schools are less, then its not really a huge factor. If a person were deadset on Ibanking, then yes Ivy makes a huge difference. But the vast majority of undergrads aren't looking for that kind of work.


Non-Ivy/T10 recruitment at ibanks and big consulting shops is effectively zero. But, again, you're right...if people don't want that kind of work, then other UG's do just fine. As someone that lateraled into consulting from something else, after a lackluster UG performance, I know my resume would've gone in the trash if it hadn't been for my UG. I'm just saying...mkts drive this stuff. There's a reason Ivies reject 9/10 people that seek admission: there's a benefit, however marginal...

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Akron Law (comments from a 2L)

Postby romothesavior » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:05 am

The better question is how many at Pete Carroll University, the 7th ranked law school in the Midwest, got those positions?

User avatar
merichard87
Posts: 751
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:31 pm

Re: Akron Law (comments from a 2L)

Postby merichard87 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:53 am

Who the flip is Pete Carroll/John Carroll, why does he get a university and why does she think its the 7th best University in the midwest?

User avatar
stintez
Posts: 307
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:55 pm

Re: Akron Law (comments from a 2L)

Postby stintez » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:36 am

It is sad that I live in Ohio went to college in the midwest and never in all my life heard it was one of the best schools in Ohio let alone the 7th best in the midwest. Riddle me this wtf does your outline of the midwest look like. Please show us.

User avatar
merichard87
Posts: 751
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:31 pm

Re: Akron Law (comments from a 2L)

Postby merichard87 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:39 am

I'm starting to think she got that statistic from a random school article about some random group who listed her school as 7th in the midwest for largest library (the Cooley of the Midwest).

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Akron Law (comments from a 2L)

Postby romothesavior » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:43 am

stintez wrote:It is sad that I live in Ohio went to college in the midwest and never in all my life heard it was one of the best schools in Ohio let alone the 7th best in the midwest. Riddle me this wtf does your outline of the midwest look like. Please show us.


Better and more respected midwestern schools (in no particular order):

Chicago
Northwestern
Michigan
Illinois
Wash U
Notre Dame
Rose Hullman
DePauw
Wooster
Wabash
Knox

And those are just the ones off the top of my head.

rundoxierun
Posts: 1893
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:46 am

Re: Akron Law (comments from a 2L)

Postby rundoxierun » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:44 am

Desert Fox wrote:
MrKappus wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:In 2010, how many of the ivy leaguers get ibanking at a good bank if they want it?


Not sure, did consulting. :) You make a good point, but the % is still higher than non-Ivy grads that want banking. It's just about odds, I guess (like law school).


I have no idea what he number is. If it's high you have a great point, but if its low, even if normal schools are less, then its not really a huge factor. If a person were deadset on Ibanking, then yes Ivy makes a huge difference. But the vast majority of undergrads aren't looking for that kind of work.


It is extremely low even for ivies but effectively zero for non-ivy schools. I sat in on an undergrad panel during a tour type thing with Goldman and shockingly the ivy I saw with the biggest representation was Dartmouth.

Also grew up in the Midwest(Indiana) and used to attend one of the "top tier LACs" in the area(DePauw).. never heard of John Carroll

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Akron Law (comments from a 2L)

Postby romothesavior » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:44 am


User avatar
D. H2Oman
Posts: 7469
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:47 am

Re: Akron Law (comments from a 2L)

Postby D. H2Oman » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:45 am

romothesavior wrote:Rose Hullman
DePauw
Wooster
Wabash
Knox



wtf, are any of these real colleges?

rundoxierun
Posts: 1893
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:46 am

Re: Akron Law (comments from a 2L)

Postby rundoxierun » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:45 am

romothesavior wrote:
stintez wrote:It is sad that I live in Ohio went to college in the midwest and never in all my life heard it was one of the best schools in Ohio let alone the 7th best in the midwest. Riddle me this wtf does your outline of the midwest look like. Please show us.


Better and more respected midwestern schools (in no particular order):

Chicago
Northwestern
Michigan
Illinois
Wash U
Notre Dame
Rose Hullman
DePauw
Wooster
Wabash
Knox

And those are just the ones off the top of my head.


Dont leave out Wheaton(IL) and Purdue




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests