Akron Law (comments from a 2L)

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Akron Law (comments from a 2L)

Postby Grizz » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:48 pm

legallyblonde27 wrote:
rad law wrote:
Neither do you. 85% chance you won't. And hiring =/= existing.

HTH


In that case, 85% chance I will. And I more than exist where I work. They know my capabilities.


Sigh. 100% minus the 15% who keep all scholly is 85%. So 85% chance you won't keep the whole thing. And just because the firm exists doesn't mean it will have the $ to hire you 3 years in the future is what I'm saying (that was a little unclear).

legallyblonde27
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:19 pm

Re: Akron Law (comments from a 2L)

Postby legallyblonde27 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:50 pm

Yes, I definitely recognize your point about money possibly not being there to hire me in 3-4 yrs.

User avatar
merichard87
Posts: 751
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:31 pm

Re: Akron Law (comments from a 2L)

Postby merichard87 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:52 pm

rad law wrote:
legallyblonde27 wrote:
rad law wrote:
Neither do you. 85% chance you won't. And hiring =/= existing.

HTH


In that case, 85% chance I will. And I more than exist where I work. They know my capabilities.


Sigh. 100% minus the 15% who keep all scholly is 85%. So 85% chance you won't keep the whole thing. And just because the firm exists doesn't mean it will have the $ to hire you 3 years in the future is what I'm saying (that was a little unclear).


Actually 4 years since she's going PT, possibly 5 if she's one of the 85% who loose their scholarship and have to sit out a year to fix their finances.

User avatar
anthropologieaddict
Posts: 151
Joined: Fri May 28, 2010 8:17 pm

Re: Akron Law (comments from a 2L)

Postby anthropologieaddict » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:59 pm

legallyblonde27 wrote:
2Cool4LawSchool wrote:
I think that my uGPA is definitely competitive for graduating from John Carroll University (ranked 7th in the Midwest United States), so I think Akron will be keen to that fact. I am definitely going to try for at least a 160 LSAT though. Thanks again!


Hate to break it to you, but where you went for undergrad is irrelevant in terms of weighing your GPA. A 3.6 from John Carroll and a 3.6 from community college are weighed the same for law school admissions. Just FYI

legallyblonde27
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:19 pm

Re: Akron Law (comments from a 2L)

Postby legallyblonde27 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:01 pm

anthropologieaddict wrote:
legallyblonde27 wrote:
2Cool4LawSchool wrote:
I think that my uGPA is definitely competitive for graduating from John Carroll University (ranked 7th in the Midwest United States), so I think Akron will be keen to that fact. I am definitely going to try for at least a 160 LSAT though. Thanks again!


Hate to break it to you, but where you went for undergrad is irrelevant in terms of weighing your GPA. A 3.6 from John Carroll and a 3.6 from community college are weighed the same for law school admissions. Just FYI


Thanks. That's perfectly fine though. It's still above the median gpa for them.

User avatar
anthropologieaddict
Posts: 151
Joined: Fri May 28, 2010 8:17 pm

Re: Akron Law (comments from a 2L)

Postby anthropologieaddict » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:03 pm

legallyblonde27 wrote:
anthropologieaddict wrote:
legallyblonde27 wrote:
2Cool4LawSchool wrote:
I think that my uGPA is definitely competitive for graduating from John Carroll University (ranked 7th in the Midwest United States), so I think Akron will be keen to that fact. I am definitely going to try for at least a 160 LSAT though. Thanks again!


Hate to break it to you, but where you went for undergrad is irrelevant in terms of weighing your GPA. A 3.6 from John Carroll and a 3.6 from community college are weighed the same for law school admissions. Just FYI


Thanks. That's perfectly fine though. It's still above the median gpa for them.


Oh, as an Ohio resident you should have no problem gaining admission. This is just a common misunderstanding I see from a lot of people so I just wanted to clear it up (before I saw that it had already been cleared up.) Sorry for the repetitiveness.

legallyblonde27
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:19 pm

Re: Akron Law (comments from a 2L)

Postby legallyblonde27 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:09 pm

Awesome. Thanks!

User avatar
bgdddymtty
Posts: 697
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:59 pm

Re: Akron Law (comments from a 2L)

Postby bgdddymtty » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:33 pm

legallyblonde27 wrote:
rad law wrote:
legallyblonde27 wrote:You have no idea whether I will keep my scholarship or not. And I don't think the firm I'm working for NOW will be going anywhere in three years.
Neither do you. 85% chance you won't. And hiring =/= existing.

HTH
In that case, 85% chance I will. And I more than exist where I work. They know my capabilities.

Good luck on that 160 with logical reasoning skills like this.

legallyblonde27
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:19 pm

Re: Akron Law (comments from a 2L)

Postby legallyblonde27 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:21 pm

bgdddymtty wrote:Good luck on that 160 with logical reasoning skills like this.


Seeing as everyone in the class would have a 100% chance of being in the top of the class before any grades are even recorded, the logic actually does make sense. It's an unknown number, to which no one even has a clue what it might be. Now go stalk another thread, big daddy 8)

User avatar
bgdddymtty
Posts: 697
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:59 pm

Re: Akron Law (comments from a 2L)

Postby bgdddymtty » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:25 pm

And then you go and dig yourself deeper.
legallyblonde27 wrote:Seeing as everyone in the class would have a 100% chance of being in the top of the class before any grades are even recorded, the logic actually does make sense.

Yes, everyone is at the top of the class before any grades are issued. Therefore, a student who has been issued a scholarship has a 100% chance of keeping that scholarship until grades are issued. That was never in dispute, nor is it relevant.

However, once grades are issued, only those students whose grades are in (what last year was) the top 15% of the class get to keep their scholarships. Therefore, by definition, a previously untested (in terms of law school exams) student has a 15% chance of keeping his/her scholarship.
It's an unknown number, to which no one even has a clue what it might be.

Do you understand what probabilities are? Their entire purpose is to assign levels of chance to unknown events. It doesn't matter that you are convinced that you are going to excel. You know nothing about your prospective classmates. For that matter, you haven't even taken the LSAT or been accepted for admission. To claim that you have an 85% chance of keeping a prospective scholarship to an institution to which you haven't even applied is both wishful thinking and ignorance.

Frankly, I wouldn't have said anything if not for your defensiveness. Rad law is right. Akron is ripping its students off. It is providing a large number of scholarships to incoming 1L's while putting conditions on the money that absolutely guarantee that most of those students will lose those scholarships one-sixth of the way through law school. Once they've lost those scholarships, those students two options: pay sticker or pack it in. Knowing that most students won't do so, particularly if their grades are, say, above median, the school stands to rake in tuition money from a bunch of students that likely wouldn't have chosen to attend if they knew that they'd have to pay sticker for five semesters.

legallyblonde27
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:19 pm

Re: Akron Law (comments from a 2L)

Postby legallyblonde27 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:38 pm

bgdddymtty wrote:Yes, everyone is at the top of the class before any grades are issued. Therefore, a student who has been issued a scholarship has a 100% chance of keeping that scholarship until grades are issued. That was never in dispute, nor is it relevant.



Right, before any grades are issued...which, NO grades have been issued. So no need to tell me my logic is incorrect when it isn't. I was never talking about already having grades, having the scholarships, etc. And if it was so irrelevant, then why would you go so out of your way to comment on it.

If the scholarship is lost, I will have no worries or remorse for paying sticker. The End.

User avatar
bgdddymtty
Posts: 697
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:59 pm

Re: Akron Law (comments from a 2L)

Postby bgdddymtty » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:23 pm

legallyblonde27 wrote:Right, before any grades are issued...which, NO grades have been issued. So no need to tell me my logic is incorrect when it isn't.

If your logic is that you are guaranteed not to lose your scholarship so long as no grades are issued, you're right. It's impeccable. However, one of the key skills tested in law school (and in the law generally) is the ability to separate relevant facts from irrelevant ones. On the basis of this conversation, I'm guessing that you could really use some work in that area.

I was never talking about already having grades, having the scholarships, etc. And if it was so irrelevant, then why would you go so out of your way to comment on it.

The matter isn't irrelevant. The facts that you stated as evidence of your position are. You simply don't seem to understand what others are saying to you. Or you're so emotionally invested in the matter that you can't take a step back and look at the matter objectively. Neither indicate the makings of a good law student/lawyer.

If the scholarship is lost, I will have no worries or remorse for paying sticker. The End.

Fair enough. But don't say that others didn't warn you.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Akron Law (comments from a 2L)

Postby Grizz » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:25 pm

legallyblonde27 wrote:If the scholarship is lost, I will have no worries or remorse for paying sticker. The End.


A fool and her money are soon parted.

legallyblonde27
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:19 pm

Re: Akron Law (comments from a 2L)

Postby legallyblonde27 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:38 pm

Really? Is this how you guys utilize your spare time? Get a life :D

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Akron Law (comments from a 2L)

Postby Grizz » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:44 pm

legallyblonde27 wrote:Really? Is this how you guys utilize your spare time? Get a life :D


None of my friends are left at home. I am at work still. Sorry! :wink:

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Akron Law (comments from a 2L)

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:35 pm

legallyblonde27 wrote:
bgdddymtty wrote:Good luck on that 160 with logical reasoning skills like this.


Seeing as everyone in the class would have a 100% chance of being in the top of the class before any grades are even recorded, the logic actually does make sense. It's an unknown number, to which no one even has a clue what it might be. Now go stalk another thread, big daddy 8)


Did John Casom or whatever school you went to teach you statistics?

User avatar
Notor
Posts: 391
Joined: Sat May 23, 2009 11:32 am

Re: Akron Law (comments from a 2L)

Postby Notor » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:40 pm

legallyblonde27 wrote:Really? Is this how you guys utilize your spare time? Get a life :D

To be fair, you are belligerently defending an indefensible position. Akron offers a ton of scholarship money to entice ignorant, arrogant, and oblivious students (like you, right now) to enroll at their school, all the while knowing that a predetermined number will lose their scholarships. That is a seriously crappy and borderline unethical conduct for a public law school that should be operating in its student's best interests. When compared to Ohio's other, better public law schools (OSU has a 2.5 scholarship stipulation and Cincinnati has a 2.0 scholarship stipulation), Akron's policy becomes all the more egregious.

Also unless you have a hard science background I would give up on IP law.

legallyblonde27
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:19 pm

Re: Akron Law (comments from a 2L)

Postby legallyblonde27 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:58 pm

That's all right... I think I'll just go from what people who actually attended the school think.

User avatar
Notor
Posts: 391
Joined: Sat May 23, 2009 11:32 am

Re: Akron Law (comments from a 2L)

Postby Notor » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:05 pm

legallyblonde27 wrote:That's all right... I think I'll just go from what people who actually attended the school think.

Conversely, why would you not consider the reasoning of people who made the decision NOT to attend Akron? When making a decision that involves years of your life and tens of thousands of dollars, a little more diligence would probably be a good idea.

User avatar
bgdddymtty
Posts: 697
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:59 pm

Re: Akron Law (comments from a 2L)

Postby bgdddymtty » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:32 am

legallyblonde27 wrote:That's all right... I think I'll just go from what people who actually attended the school think.

Geez. I'm not normally rude to people, but you keep asking for it.

Reasoning skills like this are why you're hoping to get a 160 so that you can get into a TTT that has to dupe its students into going there. Seriously, if this is the best thinking of which you're capable, you are throwing your money away on law school. I'm sorry to be so brutally honest, but there you go.

User avatar
dresden doll
Posts: 6802
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:11 am

Re: Akron Law (comments from a 2L)

Postby dresden doll » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:14 am

rad law wrote:
legallyblonde27 wrote:If the scholarship is lost, I will have no worries or remorse for paying sticker. The End.


A fool and her money are soon parted.


:lol: :lol: :lol:

Also, LOL at DF for intentionally mistaking school's name.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Akron Law (comments from a 2L)

Postby romothesavior » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:26 am

legallyblonde27 wrote:
bgdddymtty wrote:Yes, everyone is at the top of the class before any grades are issued. Therefore, a student who has been issued a scholarship has a 100% chance of keeping that scholarship until grades are issued. That was never in dispute, nor is it relevant.



Right, before any grades are issued...which, NO grades have been issued. So no need to tell me my logic is incorrect when it isn't. I was never talking about already having grades, having the scholarships, etc. And if it was so irrelevant, then why would you go so out of your way to comment on it.

If the scholarship is lost, I will have no worries or remorse for paying sticker. The End.


Bahahahahaha....

You suck you suck you suck you suck. Some of the dumbest posts ever written on this site. And a fitting handle for a girl who is about to get pwned at a TTT.

--ImageRemoved--

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Akron Law (comments from a 2L)

Postby romothesavior » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:32 am

Also legallyblonde, you say that you are going to "listen to the people who go there." Well guess what? The whole purpose of this thread was an Akron student who essentially said not to go there because the scholarships are so hard to maintain. So maybe you should "listen to the people who go there" and, umm... not go there.

User avatar
dresden doll
Posts: 6802
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:11 am

Re: Akron Law (comments from a 2L)

Postby dresden doll » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:36 am

TBF, if the girl wants to commit financial suicide, no one ITT ought to care.

User avatar
paz
Posts: 52
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:29 pm

Re: Akron Law (comments from a 2L)

Postby paz » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:39 am

so this is the thread you chose to save the bj yoda for, romo? haha. i caught the other post pre-edit.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest