NU Accelerated JD's Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Drew2010

NU Accelerated JD's Taking Questions

Postby Drew2010 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:37 am

Obviously we can't answer any questions about exams or how to be successful, but we're open to any questions about the program or NU in general. These threads were really helpful for us in making our decision, so thought we'd return the favor.

Sauer Grapes

Re: NU Accelerated JD's Taking Questions

Postby Sauer Grapes » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:39 am

I'll be here to help answer any questions I can as well.

nycparalegal

Postby nycparalegal » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:40 am

Can you tell us what the employment prospects are for you guys? Did you have a job waiting for you?

Sauer Grapes

Postby Sauer Grapes » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:44 am

We are actually in the class of 2012 (the one that just started). OCI is in August, so we can start reporting on that a month or two after that, depending on if and when call backs are.

Drew2010

Postby Drew2010 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:55 am

nycparalegal wrote:Can you tell us what the employment prospects are for you guys? Did you have a job waiting for you?

I can only say what we've heard so far, mostly from last year's AJD's and the Career Services Office, which is that they are pretty much the same as regular 3-year JD's at NU. Strictly based on anecdotal evidence from last year’s class, I'd say that as long as you have a couple years of prior work experience you can use to sell yourself with you'll be fine coming from the AJD program. Fine being just as good as you would have been coming from the traditional 3-year program. We actually had a panel talk to us about employment last week, which included a partner from Jenner. He said that while last year he thought we'd be at a disadvantage compared to the traditional students, he was actually wrong, and it seems that the disadvantages of the AJD's were outweighed by the positives, and it really was a wash. I wish I had more info but I don't think we really will until I've been through OCI, at which point I'll happily share with you my experiences.

As far as having a job waiting for me, I at least do not. I'm hoping I can land a good job through OCI, and waiting to see how I do in our first exam (in two weeks). I do have some really good networking connections back home, although at best they would help me land a small, no prestige at all, small-mid law job. Still, that would be better than unemployment, so if I strike out at OCI I'm just planning on hustling to get a job offer where I'm from.

Sauer Grapes

Postby Sauer Grapes » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:03 am

From speaking to last year's AJDs (the inaugural class), they actually thought the program helped them in the sense that they had something unique and interesting to talk about (the AJD program). However, as Drew said, the actual employment stats are similar to the regular program.
Last edited by Sauer Grapes on Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

nycparalegal

Postby nycparalegal » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:05 am

Drew2010 wrote:
nycparalegal wrote:Can you tell us what the employment prospects are for you guys? Did you have a job waiting for you?

He said that while last year he thought we'd be at a disadvantage compared to the traditional students, he was actually wrong, and it seems that the disadvantages of the AJD's were outweighed by the positives, and it really was a wash.

Oh, this is interesting. What did he say were the advantages?

Drew2010

Postby Drew2010 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:08 am

nycparalegal wrote:
Drew2010 wrote:

He said that while last year he thought we'd be at a disadvantage compared to the traditional students, he was actually wrong, and it seems that the disadvantages of the AJD's were outweighed by the positives, and it really was a wash.

Oh, this is interesting. What did he say were the advantages?

He really didn't go into them other than saying NU has done a good job selling the program, and some of the positives were listed in the question, such as that it demonstrates work ethic, and NU is advertising it as more competitive.

malfurion

Postby malfurion » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:09 pm

Why did you decide to speed up the process and enter the job market sooner, when most indications are that the economy will be better a year later? (not criticizing you, just curious)

Are there financial advantages to the 2-year program? Obviously you save on cost of living, but I think tuition is the same in total. If you're mostly taking out loans for the cost, you end up with less Stafford loans and more higher-interest loans due to the yearly maximum, correct?

It's probably too early to tell, but just how intense is the courseload? Are you worried that you'll be at a disadvantage when taking classes where you have to compete with people that are on the 3-year plan and have a lighter course load?

How does law review work for the accelerated plan? Do you still plan on doing moot court or other journals or organizations in your nonexistent free time?

Are there any statistics on how the accelerated class of students compares to the normal class (e.g., LSAT median)?

Sauer Grapes

Postby Sauer Grapes » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:38 pm

malfurion wrote:Why did you decide to speed up the process and enter the job market sooner, when most indications are that the economy will be better a year later? (not criticizing you, just curious)

Are there financial advantages to the 2-year program? Obviously you save on cost of living, but I think tuition is the same in total. If you're mostly taking out loans for the cost, you end up with less Stafford loans and more higher-interest loans due to the yearly maximum, correct?

It's probably too early to tell, but just how intense is the courseload? Are you worried that you'll be at a disadvantage when taking classes where you have to compete with people that are on the 3-year plan and have a lighter course load?

How does law review work for the accelerated plan? Do you still plan on doing moot court or other journals or organizations in your nonexistent free time?

Are there any statistics on how the accelerated class of students compares to the normal class (e.g., LSAT median)?

The fact that we are not giving the job market as much time to recover is a real risk that I considered when making my decision. I decided that I was willing to risk that. Hindsight will be 20/20, and I'll decide later if it was an intelligent sacrifice.

The tuition amounts between the two programs are exactly the same, except for the fact that we will endure one less tuition increase than we would have otherwise on a 3-year program. Cost of living will be less, as will a nominal amount of fees (activity fees, etc). The amount of federal loans will obviously be more limited in comparison to the total cost, so that is another thing applicants will have to consider.

The course load this summer is intense, to say the least. For this summer, it is manageable, but as you indicated, free time is limited. We have been able to enjoy most of our weekends so far. I think most of the classes we will share with regular JDs will be electives, and most of those will not be curved. At NU, classes with less than 40 students are not curved (with the exception of our AJD classes, doh!). In other words, we won't really be competing with anyone in a lot of our elective classes.

We are free to compete for law review and secondary journals with normal 2Ls at the end of this summer. To the extent that our "free time" allows, we are eligible for any and all activities we should choose to participate. That being said, time will be a limiting factor. I personally am undecided how involved I'll be in extracurricular activities.

I think the statistics are generally the same between classes with two exceptions. 1) Applicants can use the GMAT for the AJD application, and 2) there is actually a requirement that one have 2 years of work experience, instead of just a preference of WE like NU usually has. Our average WE is 6 years, so the class is definitely "older" than even the regular NU Law class.

Sauer Grapes

Postby Sauer Grapes » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:17 pm

Figured now that we've gone through OCI and two semesters worth of classes, I would revive this thread.

JDwest2011

Postby JDwest2011 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:50 pm

So how did OCI go for your AJD class (class of 2012)? I've been looking for statistics online, but they don't seem to be published anywhere. Do most people have jobs lined up? Were OCI stats any different from the inaugural class?

Also, thoughts on whether speeding up the process was an "intelligent sacrifice?" Any regrets on doing AJD?

I've been admitted to the AJD program and my main concern about the program is job placement and intensity, compared to the 3-year program.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:52 pm

Sauer Grapes wrote:Figured now that we've gone through OCI and two semesters worth of classes, I would revive this thread.

How do SA positions work with you guys, you SA and then go right to work if you get a FT offer?

Sauer Grapes

Postby Sauer Grapes » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:13 pm

Veyron wrote:
Sauer Grapes wrote:Figured now that we've gone through OCI and two semesters worth of classes, I would revive this thread.

How do SA positions work with you guys, you SA and then go right to work if you get a FT offer?

No, we do our 2L summer just like anyone else (except we do it with only three semesters under our belt, but almost the same number of hours). So, if we get a full-time offer, we have two more semesters and the bar before we begin working.

Sauer Grapes

Postby Sauer Grapes » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:17 pm

JDwest2011 wrote:So how did OCI go for your AJD class (class of 2012)? I've been looking for statistics online, but they don't seem to be published anywhere. Do most people have jobs lined up? Were OCI stats any different from the inaugural class?

Also, thoughts on whether speeding up the process was an "intelligent sacrifice?" Any regrets on doing AJD?

I've been admitted to the AJD program and my main concern about the program is job placement and intensity, compared to the 3-year program.

I think the AJDs did roughly the same in OCI as the three-year JDs. Keep in mind that most of us are a bit older than even the average NU student, and most have pretty good WE, so, IMO, those positives probably countered the negatives of only have one semester of grades during OCI in the eyes of the employers.

I don't see speeding up the process as a "sacrifice" at all. I don't regret doing the AJD program, but I think there are enough that do.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:21 pm

Sauer Grapes wrote:
Veyron wrote:

No, we do our 2L summer just like anyone else (except we do it with only three semesters under our belt, but almost the same number of hours). So, if we get a full-time offer, we have two more semesters and the bar before we begin working.

So:

Summer, fall, spring, SA, Fall, Spring?

In this case, do they recruit just based off summer grades?

Sauer Grapes

Postby Sauer Grapes » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:53 pm

Veyron wrote:
Sauer Grapes wrote:
Veyron wrote:

So:

Summer, fall, spring, SA, Fall, Spring?

In this case, do they recruit just based off summer grades?

Yes and Yes (as far as grades are concerned). I'm sure the other factors in an applicant's resume become a bit more important to the interviewers, but cannot say for sure. All I know is that we did roughly the same as the 3-year students at OCI. I can name at least 8 off of the top of my head that got V20 (including at least 4 V10). Add at least 7 more that got big law, and that's at least 15/30, or 50%. I know of at least two that didn't even do OCI since they didn't want a firm job, so taking them out it's over 50%.

Fantastic numbers? No, but it's definitely not worse than the general population.

pack_85

Postby pack_85 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:40 pm

Trying to revive this thread as I am applying this cycle. Hopefully you're still out there...

Any updates on job prospects now that you're through the summer? Does it seem like employers care that it's a 2yr vs 3yr program? Specifically do you think the AJD puts you at an advantage/disadvantage when interviewing? I'm wondering if you think employers view you differently when compared with 3yr students, as it such a unique program. Tough to gauge if this is even an issue from what little information there is online.

Not sure if you can answer questions regarding the admission interview session, but if you interviewed at other schools, did you find the NU interview to be different in any way? With the emphasis the program places on management experience, I get the sense that it would be more like a job interview than at other schools. Disregard if you can't comment.

Would you do the program again? Getting out a year early is so enticing, but I'm curious if you think that the benefits of a more spread out course load and the opportunity to work for two summers outweighs that.

The main draw for me is the idea of being in class with other individuals who have worked for a while (I am right at the median of WE for the AJD program). Can you tell a difference in the classes you've taken with just your AJD mates vs classes with 3yrs as well? Teaching style, attitudes of classmates or professors, etc? I know the 3yr NU program likes work experience as well so this might be a nonissue.

Lotta questions, sorry. Any input or advice is much appreciated.

Sauer Grapes

Postby Sauer Grapes » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:45 am

pack_85 wrote:Trying to revive this thread as I am applying this cycle. Hopefully you're still out there...

Any updates on job prospects now that you're through the summer? Does it seem like employers care that it's a 2yr vs 3yr program? Specifically do you think the AJD puts you at an advantage/disadvantage when interviewing? I'm wondering if you think employers view you differently when compared with 3yr students, as it such a unique program. Tough to gauge if this is even an issue from what little information there is online.

Not sure if you can answer questions regarding the admission interview session, but if you interviewed at other schools, did you find the NU interview to be different in any way? With the emphasis the program places on management experience, I get the sense that it would be more like a job interview than at other schools. Disregard if you can't comment.

Would you do the program again? Getting out a year early is so enticing, but I'm curious if you think that the benefits of a more spread out course load and the opportunity to work for two summers outweighs that.

The main draw for me is the idea of being in class with other individuals who have worked for a while (I am right at the median of WE for the AJD program). Can you tell a difference in the classes you've taken with just your AJD mates vs classes with 3yrs as well? Teaching style, attitudes of classmates or professors, etc? I know the 3yr NU program likes work experience as well so this might be a nonissue.

I'll try and answer your questions in order:

I think the AJDs have similar job prospects as the 3-year JDs. Ultimately, I think employers are still a little unsure of the program, but that small negative is balanced by us having more work experience on average and by the fact that probably seem ambitious since we are attempting a JD in two calendar years. Cliff notes version, you don't have to be any more worried about getting a firm job than you would otherwise.

I did not interview.

I would do the program again. There are many positives and negatives, and I can't say that all of my classmates would do it over again, but I think most of us would. Having one summer of grades, curved using a scale that is meant for a much larger class, makes your summer way more important and stressful than a normal 1L year, IMO. However, your 1L year, as far as OCI is concerned, is only one hellish summer semester, so you can be in 2L mode after a semester. That is a definite benefit.

I'd say the work experience is a non-issue. Officially the AJD program likes 2 years or more, but unofficially there were a couple students who seemed to have gotten around it. You will have a slightly younger average in the 3-year, but it won't be too noticeable. I wouldn't choose one over the other based on work experience.

pack_85

Postby pack_85 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:27 pm

Sauer Grapes wrote:
pack_85 wrote:Trying to revive this thread as I am applying this cycle. Hopefully you're still out there...

I'll try and answer your questions in order:

I think the AJDs have similar job prospects as the 3-year JDs. Ultimately, I think employers are still a little unsure of the program, but that small negative is balanced by us having more work experience on average and by the fact that probably seem ambitious since we are attempting a JD in two calendar years. Cliff notes version, you don't have to be any more worried about getting a firm job than you would otherwise.

I did not interview.

I would do the program again. There are many positives and negatives, and I can't say that all of my classmates would do it over again, but I think most of us would. Having one summer of grades, curved using a scale that is meant for a much larger class, makes your summer way more important and stressful than a normal 1L year, IMO. However, your 1L year, as far as OCI is concerned, is only one hellish summer semester, so you can be in 2L mode after a semester. That is a definite benefit.

I'd say the work experience is a non-issue. Officially the AJD program likes 2 years or more, but unofficially there were a couple students who seemed to have gotten around it. You will have a slightly younger average in the 3-year, but it won't be too noticeable. I wouldn't choose one over the other based on work experience.

Thank you, this is really helpful.

wojo96

Postby wojo96 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:44 pm

@pack_85: Any update on your cycle?

Find NU's AJD fascinating, though still conducting due diligence (considering for next year's cycle, Oct. '12).

stompa

Postby stompa » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:35 pm

I plan to receive an MPA degree upon UG graduation which would approximately take 2 years to complete, do you know if I could use that in place of the work experience required to apply for the program?

Sauer Grapes

Postby Sauer Grapes » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:04 pm

stompa wrote:I plan to receive an MPA degree upon UG graduation which would approximately take 2 years to complete, do you know if I could use that in place of the work experience required to apply for the program?

I believe others have done this. I guess I'd wonder why even bother with the MPA at this point?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”