Santa Clara vs Pepperdine

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
max6868

Santa Clara vs Pepperdine

Postby max6868 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:54 pm

Hi I'm hoping someone can help me!

I'm from Texas, but currently working in San Francisco, and I'm deciding between Santa Clara and Pepperdine. I know Pepperdine is higher ranked, but I know I want to live and work in the Bay Area. My boyfriend, who I live with now, will also remain in San Francisco. (Just so everyone can get an idea of my attachment to the Bay Area!)

Will Pepperdine's higher ranking outweigh the benefits of going to law school in the region in which I plan to practice?

Can someone help me please!! I also, at the moment, am interested in international law or intellectual property law.

Any comments/suggestions would be appreciated...

1ferret!

Re: Santa Clara vs Pepperdine

Postby 1ferret! » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:57 pm

just go to santa clara already :roll:

max6868

Postby max6868 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:36 pm

Well...I just feel like it would be unwise to go to a lower ranked school, despite my future plans to live in the Bay Area. Attending Pepperdine would be great.. I was just hoping someone could offer any insight into the benefits of going to law school in the area where you want to practice vs the benefits of going to a higher ranked school

uwb09

Postby uwb09 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:20 pm

rankings only matter in the context of nationally ranked power players (which neither of these are), and in the context of regional decision making (aka you'd go to Hastings > Santa Clara) if you had the choice

if you want to live in san fran, then you're making life a hell of a lot harder by going to pepperdine

superflush

Postby superflush » Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:53 am

max6868 wrote:I'm from Texas, but currently working in San Francisco, and I'm deciding between Santa Clara and Pepperdine. I know Pepperdine is higher ranked, but I know I want to live and work in the Bay Area. My boyfriend, who I live with now, will also remain in San Francisco. (Just so everyone can get an idea of my attachment to the Bay Area!)

Will Pepperdine's higher ranking outweigh the benefits of going to law school in the region in which I plan to practice?

This is a no brainer. Santa Clara.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”