Notre Dame Rising 2L Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Hamilton

Re: Notre Dame Rising 2L Taking Questions

Postby Hamilton » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:43 am

I used a mac all year with no problems. It doesn't matter what kind of computer you use. (Although one of my friends tried to take his exam on a little netbook that crashed in the middle of the exam-he had to finish by handwriting it). I didn't have Blakey, but he wrote the RICO statute, is known for being very intimidating to 1L's, but by the end of the year he is well-loved. Pojanowski is new, but he's been spending his summer stocking his office and doing lots of reading. I hear he'll be teaching Admin law and a 1L course (don't know which one).

clint4law

Postby clint4law » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:45 pm

Any feedback about Snead?

pohboydomer

Postby pohboydomer » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:06 pm

Blakey's getting a little up there in years and health and, while well-liked, does not often come across as the most understandable of the professors.

Snead is very accessible and a great prof. Well liked and a good sense of humor.

Here's a quick rule of thumb: if the prof has come to NDLS in the last 12 years or so, they are almost guaranteed to be an outstanding young tenured or tenure-track prof. If they were there before that, then it's a complete crap shoot. NDLS has, I think, hands down, one fo the 10 best junior faculties in the country.

clint4law

Postby clint4law » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:55 pm

pohboydomer wrote:Just to jump in:

colemf wrote:O, and can you tell me anything about O'Connell, Dutile, or Tidmarsh?

All are great in different ways.

O'Connell: fantastic international law scholar, well-loved, very liberal

Dutile: hilarious and likeable but one of the most difficult graders on the faculty

Tidmarsh: winner of multiple professor of the year awards, very likeable

Geez....what makes Dutile such a difficult grader? This news isn't very encouraging.

pohboydomer

Postby pohboydomer » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:57 pm

clint4law wrote:Geez....what makes Dutile such a difficult grader? This news isn't very encouraging.

It's law school, not the Special Olympics.

clint4law

Postby clint4law » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:05 pm

pohboydomer wrote:
clint4law wrote:Geez....what makes Dutile such a difficult grader? This news isn't very encouraging.

It's law school, not the Special Olympics.

I know but "one of the most difficult graders" on faculty is a lil startling.

darkknight2000

Postby darkknight2000 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:07 am

colemf wrote:Yea I can't wait to see, any advice for orientation? or 1L in general for that matter?

No real advice for orientation. Just make friends, relax, and enjoy the weekend. The day after orientation, classes start, so just make sure to do the reading in case you get called on. As to 1L in general, do the reading, pay attention in class, outline early and often, and take advantage of profs office hours when you don't understand something. It sounds like commonsense but not everyone does all those things.

darkknight2000

Postby darkknight2000 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:12 am

colemf wrote:O, and can you tell me anything about O'Connell, Dutile, or Tidmarsh?

I had Dutile and Tidmarsh 1L year. O'Connell only taught upper level courses during my 1L year. I heard she was good in those, not so sure how she is in 1L classes. Dutile and Tidmarsh are great. Dutile is known to be a tough grader in the sense that he does actually give out grades below a C which is rare at NDLS. However, he still grades on the curve, so that means he gives out more As and A-s than other profs, so it balances out. As long as you pay attention in class and learn the material, you shouldn't be one of those people in danger of getting a bad grade. Tidmarsh was my favorite professor during 1L year. He is an awesome instructor and very approachable. He really cares about his students and goes out of his way to help them.

darkknight2000

Postby darkknight2000 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:15 am

MissSaunders wrote:Thank you for answering questions, it is very much appreciated! Does the school use exam software and are there a lot of compatibility issues with Macs? Also, how are professors Blakey and Pojanowski?
Thank you again for your advice.

Yes, we do use exam software. I don't use a Mac but have never heard of anyone having difficulty using the exam software on Macs. Pojanowski seems like a new prof, so can't help you much on that one. I didn't have Blakey, but his class is pretty intense. He assigns a heavy workload and can be intimidating. However, by the end of the semester people in his class are glad they had him.

darkknight2000

Postby darkknight2000 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:17 am

clint4law wrote:Any feedback about Snead?

I've heard good things. I didn't have him for any class but have heard some talks he gave. His area of expertise is bioehtics and the law, and hearing him speak on those subjects is always interesting.

colemf

Postby colemf » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:43 pm

Whats the average reading load per night? Any profs in particular that assign alot?

darkknight2000

Postby darkknight2000 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:21 pm

colemf wrote:Whats the average reading load per night? Any profs in particular that assign alot?

On average, you get about 60 pages of reading per week (20 pages for each meeting) for each of your major classes. In the beginning it will take a long time to read through each assignment but you'll get faster as the semester progresses. It's not so much the reading but outlining and assignments for legal writing that take up most of your time. Only Blakey and Garnett (who you won't get to have until second semester for con law) are known to assign heavy reading. Everyone else is somewhere in the average range I mentioned above.

Hamilton

Postby Hamilton » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:37 am

darkknight2000 wrote:
colemf wrote:Whats the average reading load per night? Any profs in particular that assign alot?

On average, you get about 60 pages of reading per week (20 pages for each meeting) for each of your major classes. In the beginning it will take a long time to read through each assignment but you'll get faster as the semester progresses. It's not so much the reading but outlining and assignments for legal writing that take up most of your time. Only Blakey and Garnett (who you won't get to have until second semester for con law) are known to assign heavy reading. Everyone else is somewhere in the average range I mentioned above.

Beginning of the year i was reading/briefing/taking notes at a rate of 10pgs per hour. End of the year, 20 pages per hour. You definitely want to take your time understanding the readings the first time. Also, listen to DarkKnight, he's one of our best students.

ArtVandelay

Postby ArtVandelay » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:09 pm

Can you tell me anything about Clover Village apartments? Is it worth giving up my place on-campus to live there?

darkknight2000

Postby darkknight2000 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:43 pm

ArtVandelay wrote:Can you tell me anything about Clover Village apartments? Is it worth giving up my place on-campus to live there?

I've only lived in the on-campus housing so I can't really say much about clover village. People who've lived there seem to be satisfied. I personally like the on campus housing only because its within walking distance of the law school, which means less driving in the snow. Its also nice to have the rent cover all the utilities as well. But anyway, if you choose to live on campus, its a definitely not a bad option.

colemf

Postby colemf » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:51 pm

Darkknight, did you live in the Fog complex? and if so do people there generally seem content with it? i'll be staying in O' Hara.

darkknight2000

Postby darkknight2000 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:41 pm

colemf wrote:Darkknight, did you live in the Fog complex? and if so do people there generally seem content with it? i'll be staying in O' Hara.

I liked staying at FOG and other people seemed to like staying there. Another good thing about living on campus is that roughly half the 1L class is there, so its easy to meet up with other law students. I only know a couple people who lived at O'Hara, but they were fine there. I think its pretty much the same as FOG, except that instead of 2 in an apartment, its 4. But if you're cool with that, then I think its a good place to live.

darkknight2000

Postby darkknight2000 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:01 pm

Btw, quick update for those of you wondering about OCI. So far I've landed 23 interviews out of 33 bids. There's still one more phase of bidding left, so the final number will probably be closer to 30 interviews. Our bidding system is 100% lottery. The firms are a mix of Vault 100 in NY, LA, and Chicago along with a decent number from secondary markets (Ohio, Michigan, and Indiana) as well as a couple in public interest/government. While it remains to be seen if any offers come out of these, this definitely provides some evidence that job prospects coming out of ND are not dead.

colemf

Postby colemf » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:43 pm

Thanks for the update, i'm really interested in doing prosecution work, either through a DAs office or hopefully the DOJ honors program, can you attest to how has the economic downturn has affected NDLS ability to reach out to big city DAs offices and federal agencies?

brocklanders12

Postby brocklanders12 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:31 pm

For whoever asked about Snead I had a friend that really enjoyed his classes.
Last edited by brocklanders12 on Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tomwelling

Postby tomwelling » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:06 pm

darkknight2000 wrote:Btw, quick update for those of you wondering about OCI. So far I've landed 23 interviews out of 33 bids. There's still one more phase of bidding left, so the final number will probably be closer to 30 interviews. Our bidding system is 100% lottery. The firms are a mix of Vault 100 in NY, LA, and Chicago along with a decent number from secondary markets (Ohio, Michigan, and Indiana) as well as a couple in public interest/government. While it remains to be seen if any offers come out of these, this definitely provides some evidence that job prospects coming out of ND are not dead.

To back this up: everyone I've talked to is getting a good number of interviews. The good part of the a pure lottery system is that people will have a lot of chances to interview with firms, which will hopefully lead to callbacks/offers.

As darkknight said, the majority of firms are from the Midwest with many or most of the biggest firms in Indiana, Michigan, and Ohio present, along with some elite firms from larger markets. Also, Notre Dame alumni in firms that are not coming to OCI tend to be willing to talk to students; for example, I know of a classmate who has received several OCI-type interviews in his home state by contacting partners at firms who are Notre Dame grads.

pohboydomer

Postby pohboydomer » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:53 am

tomwelling wrote:
darkknight2000 wrote:Btw, quick update for those of you wondering about OCI. So far I've landed 23 interviews out of 33 bids. There's still one more phase of bidding left, so the final number will probably be closer to 30 interviews. Our bidding system is 100% lottery. The firms are a mix of Vault 100 in NY, LA, and Chicago along with a decent number from secondary markets (Ohio, Michigan, and Indiana) as well as a couple in public interest/government. While it remains to be seen if any offers come out of these, this definitely provides some evidence that job prospects coming out of ND are not dead.

To back this up: everyone I've talked to is getting a good number of interviews. The good part of the a pure lottery system is that people will have a lot of chances to interview with firms, which will hopefully lead to callbacks/offers.

As darkknight said, the majority of firms are from the Midwest with many or most of the biggest firms in Indiana, Michigan, and Ohio present, along with some elite firms from larger markets. Also, Notre Dame alumni in firms that are not coming to OCI tend to be willing to talk to students; for example, I know of a classmate who has received several OCI-type interviews in his home state by contacting partners at firms who are Notre Dame grads.

Can't emphasize enough how many Domer alumni will bend over backwards to put your resume on the desk of someone on the hiring committee. Just be darn sure you know how to talk football.

darkknight2000

Postby darkknight2000 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:37 pm

colemf wrote:Thanks for the update, i'm really interested in doing prosecution work, either through a DAs office or hopefully the DOJ honors program, can you attest to how has the economic downturn has affected NDLS ability to reach out to big city DAs offices and federal agencies?

Sorry for the delayed response. Its a little tougher to say exactly how ND does with prosecutors and DOJ in this economy. Obviously, the competition is tougher given the number of people applying and the fact that a lot of cities have hiring freezes. However, their hiring criteria is much different than firms. Like any public interest job though, you can always make yourself stand out from the pack by demonstrating interest early on through internships. With those, my class still did pretty well as a number of people did their summers with a US Attorney or DAs office.

With DOJ honors, in a normal economy, I heard that the top 25-30% of the class at ND was competitive enough to land an interview. After that there are so many other factors that decide who ultimately gets hired. In this economy, you will probably need to be closer to the top 10-15% and do a federal clerkship to be competitive. But again, this is based on second hand knowledge as I have no personal experience applying to DOJ honors.

LadyIrish

Postby LadyIrish » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:03 pm

Any chance any 2L's remember when you received your 1L schedules? I'm trying to purchase books early to save some cash (and I see where the courses with the assigned textbooks are listed) but I just need my schedule so I know for sure what I'm buying. Thanks!

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:06 pm

It should be soon, but I didn't check mine until the Thursday of orientation. Hopefully one of the other 2Ls is of more assistance.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”