University of Minnesota Law School Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
superflush

Silver

Re: University of Minnesota Law School

Post by superflush » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:41 pm

STMN7 wrote:Minnesota's ASW are March 6-7 and April 17-18 (Friday and Saturday). They have the ASW connected to alumni weekend (April) and to a T.O.R.T. performance (March) to show a little more of campus life.
Good to know, I posted the second date on the *Official 2009 ASW Thread* ... hope you don't mind.

MidwestJosh

Bronze

Post by MidwestJosh » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:03 pm

Anyone else have this high on their list?

Chances are good I'll end up here. I love it.

steindle

Bronze

Post by steindle » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:16 pm

MidwestJosh wrote:Anyone else have this high on their list?

This is battling it out with WUSTL in my mind right now, but I'll give an edge to UMN so far. Why do you like it so much, Josh?

MidwestJosh

Bronze

Post by MidwestJosh » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:43 pm

steindle wrote:
MidwestJosh wrote:Anyone else have this high on their list?

This is battling it out with WUSTL in my mind right now, but I'll give an edge to UMN so far. Why do you like it so much, Josh?
Ah. Yes I applied to WUSTL too. It will be especially interesting if WUSTL offers more money. We'll see what happens when all the cards are on the table, but right now Minnesota is my first choice. But I really think BU and Wisconsin are the big potential challengers... assuming I get accepted to them.

At any rate: Minneapolis > St. Louis in my mind. Cleaner, bigger metro area. Larger legal market access. (Mpls, Chicago) School is traditionally rated higher than WUSTL anyways. The clinics rock and they have a great mix of theory/practical in their curriculum. The library is AWESOME..4 floors, a bunch of labs, tons of private study space, and the 7th largest law library collection in the country.

I could keep going. Its awesome. The buildings not great gothic architecture or anything, but its certainly not a dump. Plus the University of Minnesota campus is GORGEOUS in the spring/fall. Its on the Mississippi river and has the whole gothic architecture, grassy mall, etc. going for it.

ehshornet

New

Post by ehshornet » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:18 pm

Thanks MidwestJosh for this info! All your posts on Minnesota keep getting me excited about the school! Four weeks can not come soon enough!

I think I remember you said you met with the dean of admissions there? Did you have a chance to talk to her or the students about a sense of community fostered at the law school? Do you know if the students are really competitive?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MidwestJosh

Bronze

Post by MidwestJosh » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:02 pm

ehshornet wrote:Thanks MidwestJosh for this info! All your posts on Minnesota keep getting me excited about the school! Four weeks can not come soon enough!

I think I remember you said you met with the dean of admissions there? Did you have a chance to talk to her or the students about a sense of community fostered at the law school? Do you know if the students are really competitive?

I just talked to two students that I personally know about that tonight. They have no reason to lie to me as I've known them a long time.... They both said they were quite surprised how good students were about competition. I was, frankly, shocked by this. They were surprised because they said there didn't seem to be anything that the school did to foster a non-competitive environment. And I agree on this from what I can tell. For example.. the school has a bulletin board with all of the grades/curves posted for each class. When I saw this I rolled my eyes, but I guess it doesn't really cause many problems.... so that's a good sign.

Honestly... I initially thought UMN was my number one, but then wasn't too sure. But I really am starting to fall in love even more with it, I'll probably go regardless of where else I get in, and I have a feeling I'll get in at 2-3 higher ranked schools yet.

If you have any questions... I know a TON about this school. Feel free to pm me and I can give you my cell/email. Are you coming to an ASW? I'm thinking I'll do the 4/17 one.

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:08 am

Anybody know about their tours.
http://www.law.umn.edu/prospective/visit.html
On the website, they only have 1 date per month for a tour, which seems a bit odd.
If this is really the case, I'll have to carefully plan when I come through there.
If anybody knows something I don't, let me know.

MidwestJosh

Bronze

Post by MidwestJosh » Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:36 pm

superflush wrote:Anybody know about their tours.
http://www.law.umn.edu/prospective/visit.html
On the website, they only have 1 date per month for a tour, which seems a bit odd.
If this is really the case, I'll have to carefully plan when I come through there.
If anybody knows something I don't, let me know.
They do smaller tours each Friday at 11.

Call the admissions office to schedule. I recommend doing one sooner rather than later - the smaller, more intimate group made it easier to get a vibe.

Amira

New

Post by Amira » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:49 am

I'm currently a 1L at Minnesota, and I'd be happy to answer questions if you guys have any. I'm a little busy right now, but I'll try to check back every couple of days.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mbw

Bronze

Post by mbw » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:20 am

Just giving this a bump, as I decided yesterday to become a Gopher. :)

ehshornet

New

Post by ehshornet » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:05 am

mbw wrote:Just giving this a bump, as I decided yesterday to become a Gopher. :)
Congrats!! I will be see you there next fall! I was originally set on going there. Then this past week, my dad kept badgering me with all my other school options and finances. Then after several hours on the phone with him yesterday, I arrived back at the U of M as my decision. I really need to send in my deposit so I will no longer second guess myself.

Are you visiting in two weeks? If so, I look forward to meeting you there!

mbw

Bronze

Post by mbw » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:25 pm

I did the same thing, with other schools (including a couple of T14s) and finances. I'm just not willing, with my career goals and at my age, to rack up so much debt. And for QoL, especially for someone like me with a family, you just can't beat Minneapolis.

I won't be there the first week of March, as my spouse has a professional conference abroad to attend. But I'll be going up the following week for 5-7 days to look for housing and check out the school. I'm actually very happy with the decision.

I'll be sending in my seat deposit next week.

lawgunner75

New

Post by lawgunner75 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Midwest Josh, I would love to get your feedback as far as chances of admittance at U of M. I know the numbers and know that it's very competitive, but am wondering how much value they place on work experience and diversity outside the state of MN? I have worked on Wall Street for almost 10 years and am a CPA. I haven't gotten my LSAT score yet but am guessing it will be about 160-163. Thoughts on anything I can do to increase my odds of admission? Thanks!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:10 pm

lawgunner75 wrote:I haven't gotten my LSAT score yet but am guessing it will be about 160-163. Thoughts on anything I can do to increase my odds of admission? Thanks!
Do you have a GPA?

lawgunner75

New

Post by lawgunner75 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:56 pm

3.4 in accounting from a big state university...

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:12 pm

lawgunner75 wrote:3.4 in accounting from a big state university...
Okay, still can't really tell without an actual LSAT score.
But, the GPA is important too.

lawgunner75

New

Post by lawgunner75 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:16 pm

I guess what I am really trying to figure out (aside from the numbers) is how much value UM places on candidates who are 1 ) from out of state, so do not fit into the standard Midwestern mold, and 2 ) can say that UM is their 1st choice above all other schools (I have family in the area so am moving to MN no matter what, and obviously want to go to the best school I can get into.) Thoughts? Doesn't UM place a lot of weight on the "Why UM?" section of the personal statement?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:35 pm

lawgunner75 wrote: Doesn't UM place a lot of weight on the "Why UM?" section of the personal statement?
Are you sure you have this right??? I can't imagine that being part of your PS. Maybe a part of the app.

lawgunner75

New

Post by lawgunner75 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:43 pm

Yes, as far as I understand it, applicants are specifically asked to address the question, "Why do you want to attend the University of Minnesota Law School" in their personal statement. I get the impression that they get a lot of applicants because they are a Top 20 school but that many people don't actually end up going as they would rather live somewhere else. So if you can articulate why you are 100% sure you want to go to U of M, they know you are not just applying because they are a top 20 school.

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:22 am

lawgunner75 wrote:Yes, as far as I understand it, applicants are specifically asked to address the question, "Why do you want to attend the University of Minnesota Law School" in their personal statement. I get the impression that they get a lot of applicants because they are a Top 20 school but that many people don't actually end up going as they would rather live somewhere else. So if you can articulate why you are 100% sure you want to go to U of M, they know you are not just applying because they are a top 20 school.
That is pretty ridiculous. You shouldn't need to personalize your PS for each school.

m_ninja

New

Post by m_ninja » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:42 pm

superflush wrote:
lawgunner75 wrote:Yes, as far as I understand it, applicants are specifically asked to address the question, "Why do you want to attend the University of Minnesota Law School" in their personal statement. I get the impression that they get a lot of applicants because they are a Top 20 school but that many people don't actually end up going as they would rather live somewhere else. So if you can articulate why you are 100% sure you want to go to U of M, they know you are not just applying because they are a top 20 school.
That is pretty ridiculous. You shouldn't need to personalize your PS for each school.

Whoa, my understanding is that you should personalize your PS, at least a couple sentences of it, for each school you apply to.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:54 pm

m_ninja wrote:Whoa, my understanding is that you should personalize your PS, at least a couple sentences of it, for each school you apply to.
Well, if you want to address something specific about a given school, then, yes.
But, just adding two sentences and including the law school's name isn't gonna help.

Unadilla Kayaker

Bronze

Post by Unadilla Kayaker » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:25 am

superflush wrote:
m_ninja wrote:Whoa, my understanding is that you should personalize your PS, at least a couple sentences of it, for each school you apply to.
Well, if you want to address something specific about a given school, then, yes.
But, just adding two sentences and including the law school's name isn't gonna help.
+1

Though Minnesota (and a few others) requested certain things (including word counts). I personally drafted one decent PS and then tailored it to the different schools' requirements. For Minnesota, the last paragraph got cut a great deal so I could show my enthusiasm for the school and that I had done my homework (since they specifically asked for it). At other schools I never even mentioned the school's name. Got into two of those so far.

xanderdellus

Bronze

Post by xanderdellus » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:22 am

Does anybody know anything about T.O.R.T.? I am in professional theatre and just got accepted to MN and I was wondering how I could help out as a 1L.

Also, I read a mention of assistantships for 2L and 3L on admissiondean.com, but can't find mention anywhere else (inc. the MN law site). Anyone know anything?

faceman9000

New

Post by faceman9000 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:47 am

I know nothing more about it than the fact that I love the acronym T.O.R.T = Theater of the Relatively Talentless.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”