U Cincinnati U Cincy-- description of facilities?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
eupelia

U Cincinnati U Cincy-- description of facilities?

Postby eupelia » Tue May 18, 2010 5:52 pm

Can someone who went to Cincinnati describe the facilities? Library? Computer availability? Printing free/paid? Lights? Classrooms?

Any info on the College of Law would be great.
Thanks!

somewhatwayward

Re: U Cincinnati U Cincy-- description of facilities?

Postby somewhatwayward » Wed May 19, 2010 7:20 am

they use tiki lights.

taxguy

Postby taxguy » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:52 pm

I just looked at U of Cincinnati recently with my son. Here is my take:

I think of them as a very good, boutique law school. This is a small school with good programs and good faculty-student interaction.

The criminal program is especially good;however,they have other good programs. The law school itself is VERY nice with great facilities. Frankly, I liked their program better than that of OSU despite the higher ranking of OSU.

You can also get instate tuition at UC after one year with good planning,which makes it a very good deal.

We also met a few students there who all loved it! In fact, we didn't get a negative comment about the law school from anyone. We even spoke to an attorney doing research at the school who said that the law school is very well respected in Ohio.

Also, University of Cincinnati has some amazing facilities especially their work out gyms and swimming pools, if that is of interest to you. There is no question in my mind that UC is an underrated school particularly for its professional and graduate offerings.

Frankly, the only downsides to the school is that they are located in a sketchy area of Cincinnati. If you stay around campus, you shouldn't have any problems. Secondly, although well- known in Ohio, it isn't as well known outside of Ohio ,but they definitely do have alumni working in other states with big law firms.
Last edited by taxguy on Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:45 am, edited 3 times in total.

charlesxavier

Postby charlesxavier » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:54 pm

The campus is really nice but the surrounding area is kind of sketchy. When I visited I couldn't get in the law building so I have no info on that.

StrictlyLiable

Postby StrictlyLiable » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:02 pm

It's awesome. It's my first choice.

yoitsmebenny

Postby yoitsmebenny » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:27 pm

Definitely in a sketchy part of town. The law building itself is fairly unimpressive...felt like my old grade school library from 1960's. Everyone I spoke to there was very nice. I don't know any specifics about employment prospects, but would assume you'd be looking at greater Ohio area at best.

MBZags

Postby MBZags » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:02 am

Facility isn't great by any stretch. The admissions staff will definitely make you feel welcome, though.

waverider

Postby waverider » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:50 pm

eupelia wrote:Can someone who went to Cincinnati describe the facilities? Library? Computer availability? Printing free/paid? Lights? Classrooms?

Any info on the College of Law would be great.
Thanks!

UC 1L here.

Facilities- some of the larger lecture rooms are a little dark but the library in my opinion is very nice. Plans for a new building are in the works now but In general I actually like the law building.

Computer availability- Always

Printing- You have an extremely high allotment, you pay for additional printing. But printing cases from lexus is free and does not count towards the allotment so I can't imagine using more than it.

Overall I'm very happy with my decision to go to UC. PM if you have questions.

AKenter

Postby AKenter » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:47 pm

Any comments on what it is like to live in Cincinnati? I have heard a lot about it being a rough city with a high crime rate. Does this match your experience? Do you think moving to Cincinnati would result in culture shock for a New Englander?

howboutdemReds

Postby howboutdemReds » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:37 am

AKenter wrote:Any comments on what it is like to live in Cincinnati? I have heard a lot about it being a rough city with a high crime rate. Does this match your experience? Do you think moving to Cincinnati would result in culture shock for a New Englander?

I just finished my undergrad at UC and a local. The surrounding area (Clifton) is okay, meaning: affordable, multi-cultral. But, Clifton is surrounded by rough areas. The safety conscious student rents a place 20 mins away and buys a parking pass.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”