Your LS Bookstore vs. Amazon vs. Other Sources? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
shutterbug

Bronze

Your LS Bookstore vs. Amazon vs. Other Sources?

Post by shutterbug » Fri May 07, 2010 11:53 am

What is your experience with the prices of NEW books at your particular LS bookstore vs. Amazon vs. other sources you've found?

I've decided to buy new books because I don't like prior highlighting, and would like to get an idea before I spend too much time cost-comparing.

Thanks!

Ipsa Dixit

Bronze

Re: Your LS Bookstore vs. Amazon vs. Other Sources?

Post by Ipsa Dixit » Fri May 07, 2010 12:27 pm

Amazon is cheaper than my school's bookstore. I am not sure how this helps you unless you were planning to buy books at my law school or Amazon.

cranberry

Bronze

Post by cranberry » Sat May 08, 2010 1:45 pm

I was at the SMU bookstore the other day and their used E&Es were more expensive than the new versions on Amazon.

Georgiana

Silver

Post by Georgiana » Sat May 08, 2010 1:53 pm

I buy mine through Barnes and Noble with the membership if they have the books. Otherwise I go with Amazon.

atlantisdan

New

Post by atlantisdan » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:32 am

Are the savings significant enough to justify the extra trouble? Undergrad books seemed to run slightly less on Amazon but shipping and time didn't make it worthwhile to me. Of course I realize that ls books are going to be much more expensive, so how much could a student save?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Moxie

Silver

Post by Moxie » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:20 am

atlantisdan wrote:Are the savings significant enough to justify the extra trouble? Undergrad books seemed to run slightly less on Amazon but shipping and time didn't make it worthwhile to me. Of course I realize that ls books are going to be much more expensive, so how much could a student save?
We're not going to be able to tell you without your list of books. Obviously it depends.

However for my first two semesters, I've saved at least $150 each semester by using Amazon.

privatemf

New

Post by privatemf » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:33 am

shutterbug wrote:What is your experience with the prices of NEW books at your particular LS bookstore vs. Amazon vs. other sources you've found?

I've decided to buy new books because I don't like prior highlighting, and would like to get an idea before I spend too much time cost-comparing.

Thanks!
Please post the book list.

jbarl1

Silver

Post by jbarl1 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:50 am

shutterbug wrote:What is your experience with the prices of NEW books at your particular LS bookstore vs. Amazon vs. other sources you've found?

Thanks!
You could consider books that are "like new" or "good" ratings also, as they have very little, if any, highlighting. Also, I went to my schools bookstore this year and looked through the used books myself so I could choose ones at the used price that were in great shape. However, even some of the books that were used at my schools bookstore were more expensive than getting them new online. Also, check if your school has a book buyback program. Mine does and you can get books for around $40 and you get to check over them first to see if they are up to your quality standard. Hope this helps!

Seminole_305

New

Post by Seminole_305 » Wed May 04, 2011 10:17 pm

If I buy a book online can I resell it to my school after the semester or would I have to ebay it?

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Wed May 04, 2011 10:22 pm

Half.com all the way. At the bookstore, my books were 900. On half.com, they came out to 449, just one dollar short of living up to its name. Of the 5 books, 3 were new and 2 were so lightly used that you would think they are new.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”