Need Help on Deciding on a law school Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
dsc5050

New

Need Help on Deciding on a law school

Post by dsc5050 » Thu May 06, 2010 1:29 pm

OK. So currently I am still waiting from U Buffalo, Rutgers Newark, Seton Hall, Brooklyn and St. Johns Law School...

My major : Mechanical Engineering
MY GPA : 3.71
my LSAT : 154 :(

Currently Accepted to:
Pierce Law + 5K scholarship
Hofstra Law
New York Law School + 15K scholarship

The question is which school should I go to? I know Hofstra is ranked the best but how much of a better opportunity will I have going there to get a job? Furthermore I am planning on going into patent law and hofstra has only 4 classes for patent law, while NYLS and Pierce have about 10.... Just trying to get suggestions. It seems to me NYLS is the best if I do not get into any of the above I am waiting from.

darknightbegins

Silver

Re: Need Help on Deciding on a law school

Post by darknightbegins » Thu May 06, 2010 7:44 pm

dsc5050 wrote:OK. So currently I am still waiting from U Buffalo, Rutgers Newark, Seton Hall, Brooklyn and St. Johns Law School...

My major : Mechanical Engineering
MY GPA : 3.71
my LSAT : 154 :(

Currently Accepted to:
Pierce Law + 5K scholarship
Hofstra Law
New York Law School + 15K scholarship

The question is which school should I go to? I know Hofstra is ranked the best but how much of a better opportunity will I have going there to get a job? Furthermore I am planning on going into patent law and hofstra has only 4 classes for patent law, while NYLS and Pierce have about 10.... Just trying to get suggestions. It seems to me NYLS is the best if I do not get into any of the above I am waiting from.
Whichever you can go for cheapest. If cost is equal maybe Pierce as they have a good Patent Law program. But follow the money first.

Thomas Jefferson

Bronze

Post by Thomas Jefferson » Thu May 06, 2010 7:55 pm

I'll be the one to say it. You really should retake. If you can break 160, with your GPA you're looking at substantially better options. I'm generally of the opinion that the 'study harder and retake' advice gets thrown around to quickly on TLS, but your GPA can get you into some much better schools if you up your LSAT even just a little. Fordham, a bunch of T30s and possibly even a T20 or two could become available to you. Add your engineering background and desire to do patent work to that, and you should have some awesome options for law school and beyond.

holybartender

Bronze

Post by holybartender » Thu May 06, 2010 8:03 pm

Retake.

samfam

New

Post by samfam » Thu May 06, 2010 8:12 pm

Please please please don't go to NYLS. A very good friend of mine did, did very well, ended up with a federal clerkship, and found his employment options to be completely nill because of the reputation of the school. He JUST found a job, more than a year and a half after his clerkship ended, working in a tiny plaintiffs firm. I confess that given how tough things are right now, I would discourage anyone who isn't getting $$ from a T6 school from going to law school at all until the market recovers. This holds especially true for NYLS.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu May 06, 2010 8:13 pm

samfam wrote:Please please please don't go to NYLS. A very good friend of mine did, did very well, ended up with a federal clerkship, and found his employment options to be completely nill because of the reputation of the school. He JUST found a job, more than a year and a half after his clerkship ended, working in a tiny plaintiffs firm. I confess that given how tough things are right now, I would discourage anyone who isn't getting $$ from a T6 school from going to law school at all until the market recovers. This holds especially true for NYLS.
Your friend got a federal clerkship and couldn't find work? I find that hard to believe.

But not going to NYLS (or any of these other schools) is credited.

tadams86

Bronze

Post by tadams86 » Thu May 06, 2010 8:27 pm

holybartender wrote:Retake.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu May 06, 2010 8:37 pm

What were your study habits for the LSAT?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”