Boalt's tuition next year. 66,000+ IN STATE, 74000 OOS

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
UnitarySpace
Posts: 197
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:18 am

Re: Boalt's tuition next year. 66,000+ IN STATE, 74000 OOS

Postby UnitarySpace » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:58 am

Feynman wrote:
I am a Boaltie. Most of us like Berkeley. Like I said: Pointless trolling.


Just because I disagree I'm a troll? It's no secret Berkeley isn't the nicest place in the world and that a lot of prospective and actual students really dislike the place. That does not make Boalt a terrible school and it doesn't make me a troll.


+1. (I lived in berkeley for 4 years)

tbf though, if you have a car, berkeley can be alright.

User avatar
CrimsonCal
Posts: 113
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:09 pm

Re: Boalt's tuition next year. 66,000+ IN STATE, 74000 OOS

Postby CrimsonCal » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:59 am

I spent 5 years there for graduate school, attending Berkeley is great (if you live in SF and commute)... I enjoyed the atmosphere during the day, but moved over to SF since I enjoy city life and thought the Berkeley campus was somewhat dull on the weekend

User avatar
The Brainalist
Posts: 317
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:12 pm

Re: Boalt's tuition next year. 66,000+ IN STATE, 74000 OOS

Postby The Brainalist » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:25 pm

CrimsonCal wrote:I spent 5 years there for graduate school, attending Berkeley is great (if you live in SF and commute)... I enjoyed the atmosphere during the day, but moved over to SF since I enjoy city life and thought the Berkeley campus was somewhat dull on the weekend


Yeah, but you are a Hugh Jackman fan.

Just kidding. I think the city is better, too. Berkeley seems like a gentrified part of Oakland to me - that is to say that I actually prefer places that haven't become totally unaffordable and littered with chain stores. There are always little pockets in the city, too.

Reviving this thread is funny in light of the thread discussing the drop in B's admission stats. Looks like not everyone is not willing to pay the most expensive tuition just because it is Berkeley.

Aggiegrad2011
Posts: 1514
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Boalt's tuition next year. 66,000+ IN STATE, 74000 OOS

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:34 pm

I guess I'll scratch Boalt off my app list this year eh.

And re: Berkeley the city. Gentrified Oakland seems to be the most accurate description I've ever heard. Driving up and down Telegraph is all you need for a boat full of supporting evidence.

User avatar
bilbobaggins
Posts: 686
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:41 pm

Re: Boalt's tuition next year. 66,000+ IN STATE, 74000 OOS

Postby bilbobaggins » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:02 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:I guess I'll scratch Boalt off my app list this year eh.

And re: Berkeley the city. Gentrified Oakland seems to be the most accurate description I've ever heard. Driving up and down Telegraph is all you need for a boat full of supporting evidence.


If all you think about "Berkeley the city" is Telegraph, you aren't very familiar with Berkeley. (Or Oakland, for that matter).

Aggiegrad2011
Posts: 1514
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Boalt's tuition next year. 66,000+ IN STATE, 74000 OOS

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:04 pm

bilbobaggins wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:I guess I'll scratch Boalt off my app list this year eh.

And re: Berkeley the city. Gentrified Oakland seems to be the most accurate description I've ever heard. Driving up and down Telegraph is all you need for a boat full of supporting evidence.


If all you think about "Berkeley the city" is Telegraph, you aren't very familiar with Berkeley. (Or Oakland, for that matter).


It's certainly what I think of when I think Berkeley.

I'm very familiar with Oakland, and I've lived in this area of California my entire life. When I think Oakland, I think ACMC-Highland's area.

User avatar
AR75
Posts: 96
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:59 pm

Re: Boalt's tuition next year. 66,000+ IN STATE, 74000 OOS

Postby AR75 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:32 am

God hates California.

User avatar
bilbobaggins
Posts: 686
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:41 pm

Re: Boalt's tuition next year. 66,000+ IN STATE, 74000 OOS

Postby bilbobaggins » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:09 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:
bilbobaggins wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:I guess I'll scratch Boalt off my app list this year eh.

And re: Berkeley the city. Gentrified Oakland seems to be the most accurate description I've ever heard. Driving up and down Telegraph is all you need for a boat full of supporting evidence.


If all you think about "Berkeley the city" is Telegraph, you aren't very familiar with Berkeley. (Or Oakland, for that matter).


It's certainly what I think of when I think Berkeley.

I'm very familiar with Oakland, and I've lived in this area of California my entire life. When I think Oakland, I think ACMC-Highland's area.


If your idea of Oakland is the area around the hospital, then you aren't very familiar with Oakland. If your idea of Berkeley is Telegraph Ave, then you're also not very familiar with Berkeley. Neither area is representative of the large town that is Berkeley and the city that is Oakland.

I would guess that you aren't from the area and haven't spent much time living in either city, but I would guess that if you visited Cal Undergrad a few times in college that your impression of Berkeley would be dominated by Telegraph.

User avatar
Shaggier1
Posts: 720
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:57 am

Re: Boalt's tuition next year. 66,000+ IN STATE, 74000 OOS

Postby Shaggier1 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:08 pm

Shocked that OP still has not changed the title of this thread.

Tuition is not 66K/74K for in-state/oos, respectively. That is total cost (books, living expenses, etc. are included).

User avatar
androstan
Posts: 2553
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:07 am

Re: Boalt's tuition next year. 66,000+ IN STATE, 74000 OOS

Postby androstan » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:44 pm

Shaggier1 wrote:Shocked that OP still has not changed the title of this thread.

Tuition is not 66K/74K for in-state/oos, respectively. That is total cost (books, living expenses, etc. are included).


True, although it should be noted that the COL is the 9 month COL. How you support yourself the other 3 months is a meaningful question when evaluating total COA.

User avatar
tintin
Posts: 952
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:26 am

Re: Boalt's tuition next year. 66,000+ IN STATE, 74000 OOS

Postby tintin » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:12 am

i didn't read this whole thing honestly, but most people i know seem to like boalt. and the bay area is great.

User avatar
worldtraveler
Posts: 7662
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:47 am

Re: Boalt's tuition next year. 66,000+ IN STATE, 74000 OOS

Postby worldtraveler » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:19 am

androstan wrote:
Shaggier1 wrote:Shocked that OP still has not changed the title of this thread.

Tuition is not 66K/74K for in-state/oos, respectively. That is total cost (books, living expenses, etc. are included).


True, although it should be noted that the COL is the 9 month COL. How you support yourself the other 3 months is a meaningful question when evaluating total COA.


This is true of any law school. It's also why there is a 4k public interest grant for summer work.

User avatar
gymboree
Posts: 504
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:48 am

Re: Boalt's tuition next year. 66,000+ IN STATE, 74000 OOS

Postby gymboree » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:18 am

Everyone I know is having a blast here. We are some pretty happy 1Ls . . . so hate on. The group that comes seems to self-select - and they're smart, genuine, interesting people most of whom have smiles on their faces (even in the face of the increasing pace). We live in a beautiful place. Wouldn't trade it.

I happen to love Boalt.

dreakol
Posts: 572
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:56 pm

Re: Boalt's tuition next year. 66,000+ IN STATE, 74000 OOS

Postby dreakol » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:37 am

20,000 dollars for living expenses in Berkeley? please. you can easily live here year round for less then 10,000.

User avatar
General Tso
Posts: 2289
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:51 pm

Re: Boalt's tuition next year. 66,000+ IN STATE, 74000 OOS

Postby General Tso » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:56 am

dreakol wrote:20,000 dollars for living expenses in Berkeley? please. you can easily live here year round for less then 10,000.


easily? my rent in Fremont is $450 and I still run at around $1000-1100 a month, so like $13k per year.

User avatar
tea_drinker
Posts: 781
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:44 am

Re: Boalt's tuition next year. 66,000+ IN STATE, 74000 OOS

Postby tea_drinker » Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:34 am

im_blue wrote:Berkeley's NOT going to have the highest T14 (non-resident) tuition in 2010-11, except possibly for the two NYC schools.

Berkeley (2010-11): http://www.law.berkeley.edu/6943.htm $72,446
Stanford (2010-11): http://www.law.stanford.edu/program/tuition/jd/ $71,535
Columbia: http://www.law.columbia.edu/jd_applican ... ns/tuition $71,000 $74,000
Yale (2010-11): http://www.law.yale.edu/admissions/costs.htm$70,450
Harvard (2010-11): http://www.law.harvard.edu/current/sfs/ ... udget.html $70,100
NYU: http://www.law.nyu.edu/financialaid/bud ... /index.htm $70,050 $70,866
Cornell (2010-11): http://www.lawschool.cornell.edu/admiss ... penses.cfm $69,750
Northwestern: http://www.law.northwestern.edu/admissi ... getJD.html $69,237$73,285
Georgetown (2010-11): http://www.law.georgetown.edu/finaid/fo ... 010-11.pdf $68,000
Virginia: http://www.law.virginia.edu/html/prospe ... uition.htm $67,700
Duke (2010-11): http://www.law.duke.edu/admis/tuition $66,610
Chicago: http://www.law.uchicago.edu/prospective ... aid/budget $66,342 $68,010
Penn: http://www.law.upenn.edu/prospective/jd/financing.html $65,610 $68,150
Michigan: --LinkRemoved-- $63,710 $65,350



Fixed. And to OP, you need to learn what tuition and total cost of attendance mean.

User avatar
Lawquacious
Posts: 2037
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:36 am

Re: Boalt's tuition next year. 66,000+ IN STATE, 74000 OOS

Postby Lawquacious » Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:43 am

:shock: I almost puked just looking at those numbers.. I tend to be politically conservative actually, but when it comes to healthcare and cost of higher education I tend to think there needs to be more regulation to keep costs under control and give reasonable accessibility to everyone. I know this change is intended make up for the general debt in CA, but it seems there must be some other way than making the already outrageous bills of higher education even higher. I realize in terms of equal access that hypothetically anyone can take the loans if they are willing to take the risk (and have the numbers to get in), but I think that the higher costs of grad education must to some extent reduce access to the less privileged (for one thing, those dollar numbers in terms of yearly costs are hardly comprehensible in a practical sense to someone who is not wealthy). Even high application fee costs can be a discouragement to lower income applicants in choosing to apply or not to apply to a school (though I realize there are at least partial remedies for this).

User avatar
Lawquacious
Posts: 2037
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:36 am

Re: Boalt's tuition next year. 66,000+ IN STATE, 74000 OOS

Postby Lawquacious » Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:45 am

dreakol wrote:20,000 dollars for living expenses in Berkeley? please. you can easily live here year round for less then 10,000.



This is a joke right? Year-round in Berkeley for less than 10k COL.. Kudos to you if you can manage that!

User avatar
tea_drinker
Posts: 781
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:44 am

Re: Boalt's tuition next year. 66,000+ IN STATE, 74000 OOS

Postby tea_drinker » Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:59 am

Lawquacious wrote:
dreakol wrote:20,000 dollars for living expenses in Berkeley? please. you can easily live here year round for less then 10,000.



This is a joke right? Year-round in Berkeley for less than 10k COL.. Kudos to you if you can manage that!


I live in Berkeley for 3+ years, and yes, you can find a decent place to live in Berkeley that is less than $10,000 year round.

User avatar
General Tso
Posts: 2289
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:51 pm

Re: Boalt's tuition next year. 66,000+ IN STATE, 74000 OOS

Postby General Tso » Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:02 am

tea_drinker wrote:
Lawquacious wrote:
dreakol wrote:20,000 dollars for living expenses in Berkeley? please. you can easily live here year round for less then 10,000.



This is a joke right? Year-round in Berkeley for less than 10k COL.. Kudos to you if you can manage that!


I live in Berkeley for 3+ years, and yes, you can find a decent place to live in Berkeley that is less than $10,000 year round.


Are you talking just about rent? Not accounting for other bills and groceries?

User avatar
tea_drinker
Posts: 781
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:44 am

Re: Boalt's tuition next year. 66,000+ IN STATE, 74000 OOS

Postby tea_drinker » Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:22 am

General Tso wrote:
tea_drinker wrote:
Lawquacious wrote:
dreakol wrote:20,000 dollars for living expenses in Berkeley? please. you can easily live here year round for less then 10,000.



This is a joke right? Year-round in Berkeley for less than 10k COL.. Kudos to you if you can manage that!


I live in Berkeley for 3+ years, and yes, you can find a decent place to live in Berkeley that is less than $10,000 year round.


Are you talking just about rent? Not accounting for other bills and groceries?


I was just talking about rent. However, you can adjust your budget to include utilities and groceries, and stay under $10,000. If you don't trust me, check this out.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/search/roo? ... maxAsk=800

irishman86
Posts: 312
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:03 am

Re: Boalt's tuition next year. 66,000+ IN STATE, 74000 OOS

Postby irishman86 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:47 am

tea_drinker wrote:
General Tso wrote:Are you talking just about rent? Not accounting for other bills and groceries?


I was just talking about rent. However, you can adjust your budget to include utilities and groceries, and stay under $10,000. If you don't trust me, check this out.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/search/roo? ... maxAsk=800


According to that link, the minimum rent on that page is $600 for tiny room in a place far from campus. So 600 * 12 = 7200. 10000-7200=2800. 2800/12 = 233.3333 repeating.

So to stay under a budget of 10k, you will have to (1) live in a tiny room far away from campus, and (2) spend ~233.333 or less on food/electricity/internet/cell phone bill/[insert] other expenses each month?

Stop kidding around, boy.

User avatar
General Tso
Posts: 2289
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:51 pm

Re: Boalt's tuition next year. 66,000+ IN STATE, 74000 OOS

Postby General Tso » Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:09 am

yeah I am pretty sure that ~$13k is the bare minimum per year in the bay area. even that requires very strict discipline.

dreakol
Posts: 572
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:56 pm

Re: Boalt's tuition next year. 66,000+ IN STATE, 74000 OOS

Postby dreakol » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:54 pm

No way, Bro. Less then 10k is possible.

Rent=467 for a single w/housemates though(includes PG&E, water&garbage, internet, laundry, and is near one of the units)

food=150 groceries. I only eat out when i stumble upon cash.

personal expenses= varies but usually less then 100.

to be fair, my partner calls my house a crack den but it gets the job done. Also, things might be different for an undergrad here.

User avatar
tea_drinker
Posts: 781
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:44 am

Re: Boalt's tuition next year. 66,000+ IN STATE, 74000 OOS

Postby tea_drinker » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:44 am

irishman86 wrote:
tea_drinker wrote:
General Tso wrote:Are you talking just about rent? Not accounting for other bills and groceries?


I was just talking about rent. However, you can adjust your budget to include utilities and groceries, and stay under $10,000. If you don't trust me, check this out.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/search/roo? ... maxAsk=800


According to that link, the minimum rent on that page is $600 for tiny room in a place far from campus. So 600 * 12 = 7200. 10000-7200=2800. 2800/12 = 233.3333 repeating.

So to stay under a budget of 10k, you will have to (1) live in a tiny room far away from campus, and (2) spend ~233.333 or less on food/electricity/internet/cell phone bill/[insert] other expenses each month?

Stop kidding around, boy.


When you know nothing about Berkeley, or anything about living situations in major cities, please don't speak up. Otherwise you sound like a fool. And if you think those are tiny rooms, my advice to you, don't ever consider schools in NYC, because you will live in a closet.

General Tso, I am not saying everyone has to stay under $10,000, and that is why the school's financial aid office budgets your COL more than that. My point is it is possible to live in Berkeley under $10,000 year round.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests