UVa students, what's the scene after this murder report?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
270910
Posts: 2437
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 9:51 pm

Re: UVa students, what's the scene after this murder report?

Postby 270910 » Tue May 04, 2010 4:33 pm

OH GOOD, TLS, VERY GOOD.

We'd managed, oh, what, 20 hours without a race war? Then a white person is accused of killing a white person and - BAM

Race war.

I'm not even motivated to start whipping up memes...

THIS IS WHY WE CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS

User avatar
jmhendri
Posts: 589
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:33 pm

Re: UVa students, what's the scene after this murder report?

Postby jmhendri » Tue May 04, 2010 4:38 pm

disco_barred wrote:THIS IS WHY WE CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS


baahahhahahahah

User avatar
20121109
Posts: 2149
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:19 pm

Re: UVa students, what's the scene after this murder report?

Postby 20121109 » Tue May 04, 2010 4:51 pm

jmhendri wrote:
disco_barred wrote:THIS IS WHY WE CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS


baahahhahahahah


+1 and you're awesome for the Archer reference.

WTF...why the hell did race need to come into this at all?? Someone just died....

Wow.

User avatar
Mr. Matlock
Posts: 1360
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:36 pm

Re: UVa students, what's the scene after this murder report?

Postby Mr. Matlock » Tue May 04, 2010 4:57 pm

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:
jmhendri wrote:
disco_barred wrote:THIS IS WHY WE CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS


baahahhahahahah


+1 and you're awesome for the Archer reference.

WTF...why the hell did race need to come into this at all?? Someone just died....

Wow.

A Coke vs. Pepsi debate could stir that shit up around here.

User avatar
bilbobaggins
Posts: 686
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:41 pm

Re: UVa students, what's the scene after this murder report?

Postby bilbobaggins » Tue May 04, 2010 5:06 pm

thorntll wrote:
oneforship wrote:
Mr. Matlock wrote:Details of the crime are being pretty well protected. Apparently the kids lawyer is trying to paint a picture of this as a "tragic accidental death". Good luck with that one.


Sounds highly likely to me, actually. This doesn't sound like the type of thing that was premeditated. Most likely he was drunk, they got in a fight, he reacted physically, and took things way too far. He got scared, and left her there.

Doesn't excuse him, by any means, but I think that's what the lawyer means by "tragic accidental death."


True. Unfortunately, in Virginia, case law states that premeditation can arise "at the time of the murder." PREmeditation can occur DURING the murder. Right. That's my favorite little bit of the backasswardness that is Virginia criminal law.


Without getting too into crim, this is a fairly standard reading of premeditation in that intent can form fairly instantly. It doesn't mean he had to plan things out in advance. His attorney will likely argue some sort of provocation coupled with alcohol to try and reduce it to 2nd degree or manslaughter (assuming the relevant VA statutes line up this way).

User avatar
Always Credited
Posts: 2509
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:31 pm

Re: UVa students, what's the scene after this murder report?

Postby Always Credited » Tue May 04, 2010 5:48 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:
GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:
jmhendri wrote:
disco_barred wrote:THIS IS WHY WE CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS


baahahhahahahah


+1 and you're awesome for the Archer reference.

WTF...why the hell did race need to come into this at all?? Someone just died....

Wow.

A Coke vs. Pepsi debate could stir that shit up around here.


Everyone knows Coke is TCR here. Pepsi is for bitches.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: UVa students, what's the scene after this murder report?

Postby vanwinkle » Tue May 04, 2010 6:00 pm

jmhendri wrote:
disco_barred wrote:THIS IS WHY WE CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS

baahahhahahahah

+1

gohoos09
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:31 pm

Re: UVa students, what's the scene after this murder report?

Postby gohoos09 » Wed May 05, 2010 11:18 pm

As a UVA student, I am appalled and disappointed by the insensitive postings that I've seen in this thread. While the university community is taking the appropriate steps to grieve and cope with this tragic event, the student body as a whole has not asked for this national media frenzy, and for TLS posters to turn it into an issue of race or money, as well as make jokes in such poor taste about a girl whose life recently ended so brutally, is beyond reproach. Have some class.

User avatar
Mr. Matlock
Posts: 1360
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:36 pm

Re: UVa students, what's the scene after this murder report?

Postby Mr. Matlock » Wed May 05, 2010 11:23 pm

gohoos09 wrote:As a UVA student, I am appalled and disappointed by the insensitive postings that I've seen in this thread. While the university community is taking the appropriate steps to grieve and cope with this tragic event, the student body as a whole has not asked for this national media frenzy, and for TLS posters to turn it into an issue of race or money, as well as make jokes in such poor taste about a girl whose life recently ended so brutally, is beyond reproach. Have some class.

I think this point was made earlier. If you find TLS unseemly, autoadmit.com would perhaps be more becoming to a person with your delicate tendencies.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: UVa students, what's the scene after this murder report?

Postby vanwinkle » Wed May 05, 2010 11:26 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:I think this point was made earlier. If you find TLS unseemly, autoadmit.com would perhaps be more becoming to a person with your delicate tendencies.

To be fair, this is in the "Discuss Your Law School" forum where there should be less hostility and crudeness.

Then again... why the hell was this asked in the "Discuss Your Law School" forum?? It has nothing to do with the law school.

User avatar
Mr. Matlock
Posts: 1360
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:36 pm

Re: UVa students, what's the scene after this murder report?

Postby Mr. Matlock » Wed May 05, 2010 11:27 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
Mr. Matlock wrote:I think this point was made earlier. If you find TLS unseemly, autoadmit.com would perhaps be more becoming to a person with your delicate tendencies.

To be fair, this is in the "Discuss Your Law School" forum where there should be less hostility and crudeness.

Then again... why the hell was this asked in the "Discuss Your Law School" forum?? It has nothing to do with the law school.

Credited

Tautology
Posts: 434
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:40 pm

Re: UVa students, what's the scene after this murder report?

Postby Tautology » Wed May 05, 2010 11:33 pm

It's so easy to get all holier-than-thou when someone says something controversial about someone who just died . . . so long as they were rich/talented/good-looking and we have a face to attach to them. Have your government kill civilians every day in someone else's country and never have to see their faces and nobody gives a shit.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: UVa students, what's the scene after this murder report?

Postby vanwinkle » Wed May 05, 2010 11:35 pm

Tautology wrote:It's so easy to get all holier-than-thou when someone says something controversial about someone who just died . . . so long as they were rich/talented/good-looking and we have a face to attach to them. Have your government kill civilians every day in someone else's country and never have to see their faces and nobody gives a shit.

Dude, wrong place, wrong time. I'm saying this as someone that would agree with you in the proper forum.

Pearalegal
Posts: 1433
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:50 am

Re: UVa students, what's the scene after this murder report?

Postby Pearalegal » Wed May 05, 2010 11:38 pm

Tautology wrote:It's so easy to get all holier-than-thou when someone says something controversial about someone who just died . . . so long as they were rich/talented/good-looking and we have a face to attach to them. Have your government kill civilians every day in someone else's country and never have to see their faces and nobody gives a shit.


So not the time.

I'm always baffled by why when people express sympathy for one person or situation, other people are offended that the same sympathy isn't given to what is most important to them.

It was a terrible thing that happened, and even though terrible things happen to many people we don't hear about, it doesn't make this situation any less deserving of sympathy.

The guy took her laptop to try to cover his tracks, threw it away and then went to his apartment while leaving his ex-girlfriend to die. It wasn't an accident, even if it wasn't premeditated before he got to her place that night. The theft demonstrates how easy it will be for the prosecution to demolish that argument.

Anyways, that's it.

Tautology
Posts: 434
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:40 pm

Re: UVa students, what's the scene after this murder report?

Postby Tautology » Wed May 05, 2010 11:39 pm

vanwinkle wrote:Dude, wrong place, wrong time. I'm saying this as someone that would agree with you in the proper forum.


What is the right place/time? When no one is thinking about how terrible it is for someone to be murdered? When people aren't so acutely aware of how precious our lives and the lives of others are? I think it's the right place and time, people just don't want to hear it.

User avatar
Mr. Matlock
Posts: 1360
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:36 pm

Re: UVa students, what's the scene after this murder report?

Postby Mr. Matlock » Wed May 05, 2010 11:44 pm

Tautology wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:Dude, wrong place, wrong time. I'm saying this as someone that would agree with you in the proper forum.


What is the right place/time? When no one is thinking about how terrible it is for someone to be murdered? When people aren't so acutely aware of how precious our lives and the lives of others are? I think it's the right place and time, people just don't want to hear it.

Well fuck it. My local city run sanitation department is raising our collection rates by 4%. HELP ME FIGHT THE POWER!!!!

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: UVa students, what's the scene after this murder report?

Postby vanwinkle » Wed May 05, 2010 11:46 pm

Tautology wrote:What is the right place/time? When no one is thinking about how terrible it is for someone to be murdered? When people aren't so acutely aware of how precious our lives and the lives of others are? I think it's the right place and time, people just don't want to hear it.

People don't want to hear it because it's not the right place or time.

God, I can tell you're a bundle of joy to be around. I hope you go somewhere other than here.

User avatar
20121109
Posts: 2149
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:19 pm

Re: UVa students, what's the scene after this murder report?

Postby 20121109 » Wed May 05, 2010 11:47 pm

Tautology wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:Dude, wrong place, wrong time. I'm saying this as someone that would agree with you in the proper forum.


[strike]What is the right place/time? When no one is thinking about how terrible it is for someone to be murdered? When people aren't so acutely aware of how precious our lives and the lives of others are? I think it's the right place and time, people just don't want to hear it[/strike].


Stop trying to start something here, honey. Let it go. A girl is dead. Let's leave it at that.

<3

Tautology
Posts: 434
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:40 pm

Re: UVa students, what's the scene after this murder report?

Postby Tautology » Wed May 05, 2010 11:59 pm

My point was never meant to be political, although I can see how you could see it as such. My point was more that I really hate the arbitrariness of assigning some people pomp and circumstance when they die and others none at all coupled with the holier-than-thou reactions to anyone who doesn't like the way those arbitrary decisions are made. Basically, people piling on Renzo pissed me off.

I understand that many of you think that this thread should only be about sadness. If that's the case, ignore people who say anything else, it's not like they're talking over you. But if you're going to argue with them about what they're doing, don't expect them to roll over and surrender because you played the "somebody just died" card.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: UVa students, what's the scene after this murder report?

Postby vanwinkle » Thu May 06, 2010 12:02 am

Tautology wrote:I understand that many of you think that this thread should only be about sadness. If that's the case, ignore people who say anything else, it's not like they're talking over you. But if you're going to argue with them about what they're doing, don't expect them to roll over and surrender because you played the "somebody just died" card.

I don't think it should just be about sadness, but I do think it should be about what happened at UVa, and not about some completely unrelated political message. And be honest, that was a political message. Any time you start making comments about what the government is doing and whether people are accepting it, that's political commentary, and about something totally unrelated to the topic at hand.

I actually agree with you more than I disagree with you politically, but I've also learned to tell the difference between when to voice those opinions and when they're outside the boundaries of appropriate discussion.

User avatar
seespotrun
Posts: 2395
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:36 am

Re: UVa students, what's the scene after this murder report?

Postby seespotrun » Thu May 06, 2010 12:18 am

PDaddy wrote:Dude went to school w/at least one of the Duke Lacrosse players who was accused of sexual assault. That doesn't bode well for the sport, or a certain breed of dude. What is it with Lacrosse players?


Although I'm inclined to think this is a race-baiting statement (c'mon it's PDaddy), it is TCR. Mens lax culture is a sickening thing.

That being said: A violent end to a life is tragic regardless of race, demographic, nationality, or gender. Renzo, you ought to be ashamed of yourself. Our capacity for empathy and compassion is what makes us human.

Tautology
Posts: 434
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:40 pm

Re: UVa students, what's the scene after this murder report?

Postby Tautology » Thu May 06, 2010 12:21 am

vanwinkle wrote:I don't think it should just be about sadness, but I do think it should be about what happened at UVa, and not about some completely unrelated political message. And be honest, that was a political message. Any time you start making comments about what the government is doing and whether people are accepting it, that's political commentary, and about something totally unrelated to the topic at hand.

I actually agree with you more than I disagree with you politically, but I've also learned to tell the difference between when to voice those opinions and when they're outside the boundaries of appropriate discussion.


It was a poor example because it was political. I should have tried harder and thought of one with no political or racial or any other qualities likely to distract people, and I probably didn't make things better with my second comment. I didn't yet see that the political nature of the post was one of the primary things catching people's eye.

The points I wanted to make are, some people don't like differential treatment that others give out to the recently killed: (premise, not my point)

1. What better place is there to make that commentary than in the thread in which they are expressing this differential treatment? This isn't the young woman's funeral, it's a public internet forum.

2. That acting holier-than-thou when someone does something other than express sadness in this thread is obnoxious when people die all the time, for all sorts of shitty reasons, and people discuss it, sometimes even cheer it on, without any thought to the people dieing.

And you don't have to worry about me ending up at your school.

270910
Posts: 2437
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 9:51 pm

Re: UVa students, what's the scene after this murder report?

Postby 270910 » Thu May 06, 2010 12:25 am

MODS

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: UVa students, what's the scene after this murder report?

Postby vanwinkle » Thu May 06, 2010 12:26 am

Tautology wrote:The points I wanted to make are, some people don't like differential treatment that others give out to the recently killed: (premise, not my point)

1. What better place is there to make that commentary than in the thread in which they are expressing this differential treatment? This isn't the young woman's funeral, it's a public internet forum.

It's a thread about the young woman's death in that forum. If you want to talk about those issues, you can start your own thread. Anyone can start a thread.

People don't expect preferential treatment for this girl. I'd have a very similar reaction if someone posted a thread about the tragic shooting death of poor black kids in New Orleans (to use a real example of something else I find tragic) and someone else came in and started going on about how it's not fair to acknowledge their death but not some others.

You cannot acknowledge all tragic deaths every time someone dies. It would just take way too long and ultimately demean the life being discussed, no matter whose life it was, by distracting from it and discussion of it needlessly. Learn to not piss people off by bringing up unrelated things every time discussion of someone's death comes up.
Last edited by vanwinkle on Thu May 06, 2010 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
seespotrun
Posts: 2395
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:36 am

Re: UVa students, what's the scene after this murder report?

Postby seespotrun » Thu May 06, 2010 12:37 am

Tautology wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:I don't think it should just be about sadness, but I do think it should be about what happened at UVa, and not about some completely unrelated political message. And be honest, that was a political message. Any time you start making comments about what the government is doing and whether people are accepting it, that's political commentary, and about something totally unrelated to the topic at hand.

I actually agree with you more than I disagree with you politically, but I've also learned to tell the difference between when to voice those opinions and when they're outside the boundaries of appropriate discussion.


It was a poor example because it was political. I should have tried harder and thought of one with no political or racial or any other qualities likely to distract people, and I probably didn't make things better with my second comment. I didn't yet see that the political nature of the post was one of the primary things catching people's eye.

The points I wanted to make are, some people don't like differential treatment that others give out to the recently killed: (premise, not my point)

1. What better place is there to make that commentary than in the thread in which they are expressing this differential treatment? This isn't the young woman's funeral, it's a public internet forum.

2. That acting holier-than-thou when someone does something other than express sadness in this thread is obnoxious when people die all the time, for all sorts of shitty reasons, and people discuss it, sometimes even cheer it on, without any thought to the people dieing.

And you don't have to worry about me ending up at your school.


Expressing sadness for a violent death doesn't make one "holier-than-thou," and it's certainly not obnoxious. The fact that people die all the time for all sorts of shitty reasons, and the fact that others discuss death or cheer it on is not an excuse to be callous. I certainly respect your political opinion and understand your frustration with media bias, but to use a young woman's death as subterfuge to prove a point is cruel and unwarranted.
Last edited by seespotrun on Thu May 06, 2010 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests