UVa students, what's the scene after this murder report? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Renzo

Gold

Re: UVa students, what's the scene after this murder report?

Post by Renzo » Tue May 04, 2010 3:28 pm

5ky wrote:
Renzo wrote: Why are we talking about this UVA student rather than this case? Why is it a horrible tragedy when a rich white girl dies, but just another day when a brown lady in Flatbush gets killed?

Because people in NYC get killed much more frequently than a student murdering another student at UVA
That would satisfy me if there weren't sooo many other examples that didn't involve college students. "Dead white lady" is second only to "missing white baby" in terms of media hyperbole.

Always Credited

Gold

Post by Always Credited » Tue May 04, 2010 3:28 pm

Renzo wrote:
romothesavior wrote: I have always respected you a great deal for your contributions on this site, but you lost it with this incredibly callous comment.
Sorry. I am unrepentantly incredibly callous, but that might have been a tad too disrespectful. I don't mean to project on to the victim in this paticular case, but I have a passionate hatred of the "dead white lady" news staple, and some times it leaks out in inappropriate ways.

Why are we talking about this UVA student rather than this case? Why is it a horrible tragedy when a rich white girl dies, but just another day when a brown lady in Flatbush gets killed?

When Nancy Grace starts crying on TV about Black and Brown people getting murdered in Baltimore, I'll start to give a fuck about college students getting murdered; deal?
I live in NY and the case you linked was given an incredible amount of attention on the local news, and was also brought up on several of the national news channels.

People get stabbed all the time. Shit, my neighbor was just stabbed two weeks ago during a home invasion; that didn't make the news, should I bitch about it? It isn't anyone's fault but our own that, as a whole, we find rich white person on rich white person crime to be more interesting than poor person on poor person crime.

oneforship

Silver

Post by oneforship » Tue May 04, 2010 3:30 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:Details of the crime are being pretty well protected. Apparently the kids lawyer is trying to paint a picture of this as a "tragic accidental death". Good luck with that one.
Sounds highly likely to me, actually. This doesn't sound like the type of thing that was premeditated. Most likely he was drunk, they got in a fight, he reacted physically, and took things way too far. He got scared, and left her there.

Doesn't excuse him, by any means, but I think that's what the lawyer means by "tragic accidental death."

Mr. Matlock

Silver

Post by Mr. Matlock » Tue May 04, 2010 3:34 pm

Renzo wrote:
romothesavior wrote: I have always respected you a great deal for your contributions on this site, but you lost it with this incredibly callous comment.
Sorry. I am unrepentantly incredibly callous, but that might have been a tad too disrespectful. I don't mean to project on to the victim in this paticular case, but I have a passionate hatred of the "dead white lady" news staple, and some times it leaks out in inappropriate ways.

Why are we talking about this UVA student rather than this case? Why is it a horrible tragedy when a rich white girl dies, but just another day when a brown lady in Flatbush gets killed?

When Nancy Grace starts crying on TV about Black and Brown people getting murdered in Baltimore, I'll start to give a fuck about college students getting murdered; deal?
The line that defines callous at TLS is a difficult one to see.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Tue May 04, 2010 3:36 pm

Always Credited wrote: People get stabbed all the time. Shit, my neighbor was just stabbed two weeks ago during a home invasion; that didn't make the news, should I bitch about it? It isn't anyone's fault but our own that, as a whole, we find rich white person on rich white person crime to be more interesting than poor person on poor person crime.
I still don't have to like the status quo. And, I don't have to pretend that this UVA student means any more to me than your neighbor, or that it's any more/less tragic.

Like you said people get killed all the time, the fact that one of those people happened to be a college student is meaningless to me. It seems to that we should all collectively walk around in horror at the violence in our society, or we should get over it. Dwelling on some cases and not others (when it's not someone you know, or on your block, etc.) seems ridiculous to me.
Last edited by Renzo on Tue May 04, 2010 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thorntll

Bronze

Post by thorntll » Tue May 04, 2010 3:39 pm

oneforship wrote:
Mr. Matlock wrote:Details of the crime are being pretty well protected. Apparently the kids lawyer is trying to paint a picture of this as a "tragic accidental death". Good luck with that one.
Sounds highly likely to me, actually. This doesn't sound like the type of thing that was premeditated. Most likely he was drunk, they got in a fight, he reacted physically, and took things way too far. He got scared, and left her there.

Doesn't excuse him, by any means, but I think that's what the lawyer means by "tragic accidental death."
True. Unfortunately, in Virginia, case law states that premeditation can arise "at the time of the murder." PREmeditation can occur DURING the murder. Right. That's my favorite little bit of the backasswardness that is Virginia criminal law.

oneforship

Silver

Post by oneforship » Tue May 04, 2010 3:41 pm

thorntll wrote:
oneforship wrote:

True. Unfortunately, in Virginia, case law states that premeditation can arise "at the time of the murder." PREmeditation can occur DURING the murder. Right. That's my favorite little bit of the backasswardness that is Virginia criminal law.
Yeah, I won't pretend to know anything about case law in Virginia, or anywhere else.

chicoalto0649

Silver

Post by chicoalto0649 » Tue May 04, 2010 3:42 pm

Just gonna go ahead and pour gas on this flame....

Affidavit: Va. player shook, hit victim repeatedly

A Virginia lacrosse player suspected of killing a member of the women's team told police he shook her and hit her head repeatedly against a wall, according to a court document in the case.

An affidavit filed with a search warrant said police found Yeardley Love, 22, face down in her bedroom early Monday with a pool of blood on her pillow, a large bruise on her face and one eye swollen shut. She was pronounced dead at the scene.

Police said the suspect, George Huguely, told them he had an altercation with Love and had kicked in her bedroom door.

"Huguely stated that he and Love had been in a relationship and that the relationship had ended," the document said.

He also told police that he had communicated with Love by email and had taken her computer. The affidavit said he told police where to find the computer and it was recovered.

Huguely, 22 and a senior at the school, was arrested Monday and charged with first-degree murder.

Earlier Tuesday, his lawyer, Francis Lawrence, said he was confident the death was not intentional.

"We are confident that Ms. Love's death was not intended, but an accident with a tragic outcome," Lawrence told reporters. He did not elaborate and said he would have no further comment.

Huguely, of Chevy Chase, Md., appeared by videoconference Tuesday at a court hearing, wearing a gray-striped jail uniform. He did not speak during the proceeding between his lawyers and the judge. There was no discussion of bond for him.

Huguely's parents and stepfather were in the courtroom. They left the courthouse through a back entrance without talking to reporters.

Love's roommate called police around 2:15 a.m. after finding Love face down on her pillow and unresponsive, the affidavit said.

Love, of Cockeysville, Md., was only weeks from earning a degree and she and her teammates were expecting to end their season by winning a national championship.

Leonard Sandridge, executive vice president of the university, told reporters the campus was saddened, and that the pain is magnified because the accused is "one of our own."

Kyle Cecil, 22, of Newport News, said he lived on the same hall as Huguely as a freshman, and knew him well enough to say hello. He was shocked to see police cars at the building on his way to class, and more shocked when he learned of Huguely's arrest.

The lacrosse teams met at least once during the day, but lacrosse players and school officials declined repeatedly to comment, referring to a school statement.

The men's and women's lacrosse seasons - both teams are national title contenders - were "not even entering into our thoughts," athletic director Craig Littlepage said.

The NCAA tournament pairings are to be announced Sunday, and the men's team is expected to host a first-round game, and the women's team is also expecting to be included.

Huguely, a midfielder, wasn't a starter but played in all 15 games this season. He had four goals and three assists. Love played defense and started in three games this season.

Love was "described as an angel by teammates and friends," Littlepage said.

She played varsity lacrosse and field hockey for four years at Notre Dame Preparatory School in Baltimore.

"Yeardley was the core of the personality of the team. She was our laughter, a good soul," said Mary Bartel, who coached lacrosse at the prep school.

University president John Casteen said in a release on the university's website that Love "deserved the bright future she earned growing up, studying here, and developing her talents as a lacrosse player," he said. "She deserves to be remembered for her human goodness, her capacity for future greatness, and not for the terrible way in which her young life has ended."

Huguely attended the Landon School, a private school in Bethesda, Md.

He pleaded guilty last year to two charges - resisting arrest and public swearing and intoxication - in Rockbridge County, about 55 miles southwest of Charlottesville, according to court records. He paid a $100 fine and about $80 in court costs and was released on supervised probation with a 60-day suspended jail sentence.
--LinkRemoved--

Mr. Matlock

Silver

Post by Mr. Matlock » Tue May 04, 2010 3:46 pm

chicoalto0649 wrote:Just gonna go ahead and pour gas on this flame....

Affidavit: Va. player ACCIDENTALLY shook, hit victim repeatedly
I think that's what his attorney will try to argue.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Stringer Bell

Gold

Post by Stringer Bell » Tue May 04, 2010 3:49 pm

Renzo wrote:
5ky wrote:
Renzo wrote: Why are we talking about this UVA student rather than this case? Why is it a horrible tragedy when a rich white girl dies, but just another day when a brown lady in Flatbush gets killed?

Because people in NYC get killed much more frequently than a student murdering another student at UVA
That would satisfy me if there weren't sooo many other examples that didn't involve college students. "Dead white lady" is second only to "missing white baby" in terms of media hyperbole.
I actually do agree with your premise to an extent. But the reason that this is getting so much national attention is because you have a Division 1 athlete allegedly murdering another Division 1 athlete. When the Baylor basketball player murdered his teammate it got tons of national attention and involved a black guy murdering another black guy. The reason was because they were college athletes. Obviously it wouldn't have gotten the same pub if it had been two poor people in Baltimore.

EDIT: To clarify, I was just talking about the premise that rich+white+woman generally does get more media attention as a victim of crime. I definitely do feel bad for this poor girl's family.
Last edited by Stringer Bell on Tue May 04, 2010 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Tue May 04, 2010 3:50 pm

I usually try to keep my thoughts to myself for online forums (i.e. staying out of the Stephanie Grace thread for the most part) when it comes to controversial comments/topics.

But Renzo, please reread all your statements in this thread and quit while you're "ahead." This will be my only post on this subject.

SweetnessUVA

New

Post by SweetnessUVA » Tue May 04, 2010 3:51 pm

This event has the potential to ruin my third round selection in my fantasy Major League Lacrosse dynasty league.

chicoalto0649

Silver

Post by chicoalto0649 » Tue May 04, 2010 3:53 pm

SweetnessUVA wrote:This event has the potential to ruin my third round selection in my fantasy Major League Lacrosse dynasty league.
Are the bros at UVA going to rise up in support of a fellow falsely accused bro?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TheBigMediocre

Silver

Post by TheBigMediocre » Tue May 04, 2010 3:53 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:
Renzo wrote:
5ky wrote:

I actually do agree with your premise to an extent. But the reason that this is getting so much national attention is because you have a Division 1 athlete allegedly murdering another Division 1 athlete. When the Baylor basketball player murdered his teammate it got tons of national attention and involved a black guy murdering another black guy. The reason was because they were college athletes. Obviously it wouldn't have gotten the same pub if it had been two poor people in Baltimore.
Can you imagine what the press coverage would have been like if the basketball players were white? MAN!

GATORTIM

Silver

Post by GATORTIM » Tue May 04, 2010 3:55 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:
Renzo wrote:
5ky wrote:

I think murders, kidnappings, etc. draw attention from the media/public when they happen in places you wouldn't expect: UVA, Aruba, outside of Metallica concert, daylight outside of Miami nightclub.

Stringer Bell

Gold

Post by Stringer Bell » Tue May 04, 2010 3:59 pm

GATORTIM wrote: I think murders, kidnappings, etc. draw attention from the media/public when they happen in places you wouldn't expect: UVA, Aruba, outside of Metallica concert, daylight outside of Miami nightclub.
No doubt. It's like how a death from a shark attack gets more media attention than a car wreck fatality.

schnoodle

New

Post by schnoodle » Tue May 04, 2010 3:59 pm

this has less to do with race in my opinion and more to do w/ privilege. we are drawn to rich and famous train wrecks, no matter what skin tone (lookin' at you, tiger).

this is just my opinion, but i think if this had been a black on black crime involving two wealthy, privileged, good-looking twentysomethings, it would be just as big of a story.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Always Credited

Gold

Post by Always Credited » Tue May 04, 2010 4:00 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:
GATORTIM wrote: I think murders, kidnappings, etc. draw attention from the media/public when they happen in places you wouldn't expect: UVA, Aruba, outside of Metallica concert, daylight outside of Miami nightclub.
No doubt. It's like how a death from a shark attack gets more media attention than a car wreck fatality.
Unless the shark was black...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

thorntll

Bronze

Post by thorntll » Tue May 04, 2010 4:02 pm

I can't speak to press coverage, but I do know that defendants in the U.S. are more likely to get the death penalty if the victim is white. If I'm not mistaken, it is actually a better indicator than the defendant's race.

jks289

Silver

Post by jks289 » Tue May 04, 2010 4:02 pm

Someone's daughter, sister, and friend lost her life in a brutal and horrific act of violence last night. May her loved ones find peace and justice. Maybe let's just end this thread here.

reverendt

Bronze

Post by reverendt » Tue May 04, 2010 4:05 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
Yeardley died without comfort or consolation from those closest to her.
What the fuck?
Really....this is a good line for the prosecutor not the newspaper.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

chicoalto0649

Silver

Post by chicoalto0649 » Tue May 04, 2010 4:06 pm

reverendt wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:
Yeardley died without comfort or consolation from those closest to her.
What the fuck?
Really....this is a good line for the prosecutor not the newspaper.
:roll:

it is AOL News reporting.... should we expect any better?

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Tue May 04, 2010 4:10 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:I usually try to keep my thoughts to myself for online forums (i.e. staying out of the Stephanie Grace thread for the most part) when it comes to controversial comments/topics.

But Renzo, please reread all your statements in this thread and quit while you're "ahead." This will be my only post on this subject.
I realize I'm not ahead, and I'm not really trying to get there. I embrace my cold, callous, and cynical nature, and I don't apologize for it. But I realize there's a line between not caring and being cruel, and I probably crossed it.

To any/all who were offended because I insulted the victim, I'm sorry, and I sincerely mean it.

But to anyone who is offended that I just don't care about this lady, too bad. I don't care about her any more than the other 50 people that were murdered that day somewhere in the US, and since I didn't know any of them, that's not very much.
Last edited by Renzo on Tue May 04, 2010 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jim_Stansel

Bronze

Post by Jim_Stansel » Tue May 04, 2010 4:12 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:
chicoalto0649 wrote:Just gonna go ahead and pour gas on this flame....

Affidavit: Va. player ACCIDENTALLY shook, hit victim repeatedly
I think that's what his attorney will try to argue.
And then he accidentally left the apartment after accidentally forgetting to call an ambulance. Sure he's a little clumsy and absentminded, but come on, he's not a murderer.

On another note, I'm willing to bet most people who bitch about how exotic murder stories get so much coverage than your more pedestrian, every day murder stories are themselves much more interested in the exotic ones, whether or not they admit it.

RonArtest

New

Post by RonArtest » Tue May 04, 2010 4:19 pm

jks289 wrote:Someone's daughter, sister, and friend lost her life in a brutal and horrific act of violence last night. May her loved ones find peace and justice. Maybe let's just end this thread here.
I'm with you. If not just for those most affected by this loss, but also to prevent further racial "soapboxing."

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”