UVa students, what's the scene after this murder report? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
romothesavior

Diamond

Re: UVa students, what's the scene after this murder report?

Post by romothesavior » Thu May 06, 2010 2:38 am

quickquestionthanks wrote:You guys are a bunch of cowards, hanging out on the Internet reading about a person's murder and then when someone wants to talk about the appropriate legal ramifications, you claim I'm offending your sensibilities.

God forbid, if someone willingly takes the life of one of my family members, the first thing on my mind will be killing that person. I'll have the rest of my life to grieve. May this circumstance never befall you and yours.
Ah yes... now I remember where I know you from. You're the self-proclaimed "modern intellectual theist," aren't you?

Aside from a really good 'tar, I can't find too many redeeming qualities in you.

quickquestionthanks

Silver

Post by quickquestionthanks » Thu May 06, 2010 2:52 am

To winkle with regards to my wording...
quickquestionthanks wrote:Can we please change the subject to how we need to execute people who bludgeon other people to death?
This woman appears to have been bludgeoned to death. If this man is found guilty, he should be executed, should he not? I find this to be one of the only appropriate discussions in this thread.

Our current legal system makes executing him incredibly difficult, if not impossible. Even in Virginia, where execution is permitted, there have only been 24 executions since 2001, even though there have been 3,180 murders in the same time frame.

Nationwide, there were over 14,000 murders in the United States in 2008, yet only 37 executions that year. There are over a dozen states where capital punishment is illegal. This flies in the face of my sense of justice, and as a person who is about to embark on a career of jurisprudence, I am interested in learning others' honest opinions and perhaps even persuading some future lawmakers into rectifying the unfortunate policy situation.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Thu May 06, 2010 2:57 am

quickquestionthanks wrote:To winkle with regards to my wording...
quickquestionthanks wrote:Can we please change the subject to how we need to execute people who bludgeon other people to death?
This woman appears to have been bludgeoned to death. If this man is found guilty, he should be executed, should he not? I find this to be one of the only appropriate discussions in this thread.

Our current legal system makes executing him incredibly difficult, if not impossible. Even in Virginia, where execution is permitted, there have only been 24 executions since 2001, even though there have been 3,180 murders in the same time frame.

Nationwide, there were over 14,000 murders in the United States in 2008, yet only 37 executions that year. There are over a dozen states where capital punishment is illegal. This flies in the face of my sense of justice, and as a person who is about to embark on a career of jurisprudence, I am interested in learning others' honest opinions and perhaps even persuading some future lawmakers into rectifying the unfortunate policy situation.
Thank you for proving that you intend this to be a more general political debate and thus well outside the scope of what this thread should be about.

quickquestionthanks

Silver

Post by quickquestionthanks » Thu May 06, 2010 2:59 am

vanwinkle wrote:Thank you for proving that you intend this to be a more general political debate and thus well outside the scope of what this thread should be about.
:?:

I intended it to be a legal policy debate. Politics have nothing to do with this.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Thu May 06, 2010 3:04 am

quickquestionthanks wrote:I intended it to be a legal policy debate. Politics have nothing to do with this.
:shock:

Politics, n. - of, relating to, or concerned with the making of governmental policy, as distinguished from the administration of governmental policy.

"Legal policy debate" is politics, dude.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jayn3

Silver

Post by jayn3 » Thu May 06, 2010 3:06 am

quickquestionthanks wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:Thank you for proving that you intend this to be a more general political debate and thus well outside the scope of what this thread should be about.
:?:

I intended it to be a legal policy debate. Politics have nothing to do with this.
Please refer to the title of this thread. Are you a UVa student? Are you discussing the scene after this murder report? If the answer to either question is no, then gtfo.

mah2012

New

Post by mah2012 » Thu May 06, 2010 3:09 am

quickquestionthanks wrote:
seespotrun wrote:
Ugh.
It's called just desserts.

Little known fact: the "eye for an eye" phrase begins, "Have no pity: life for a life, eye for an eye..."
Not a little known fact, an innumerable amount of fundamentalist whack jobs have been throwing that around for years.

Want a really little known fact? Look a couple of verses down, to the verse that says to stone a child who pisses off their mommy and daddy. Think that's a good idea, too?

Edited to add: I'm sorry, I shouldn't add fuel to the fire. But this is my breaking point. And now I'm out of it.

quickquestionthanks

Silver

Post by quickquestionthanks » Thu May 06, 2010 3:12 am

vanwinkle wrote:
quickquestionthanks wrote:I intended it to be a legal policy debate. Politics have nothing to do with this.
:shock:

Politics, n. - of, relating to, or concerned with the making of governmental policy, as distinguished from the administration of governmental policy.

"Legal policy debate" is politics, dude.
I was going more along the lines of this definition: the total complex of relations between people living in society

So if we shouldn't talk about legal policies, tell me "what the scope of this thread should be about," Captain. The impact it will have on lacrosse as a sport? Whether the media cares more about a white victim? Because I find that scope a bit inappropriate.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Thu May 06, 2010 3:15 am

quickquestionthanks wrote:So if we shouldn't talk about legal policies, tell me "what the scope of this thread should be about," Captain. The impact it will have on lacrosse as a sport? Whether the media cares more about a white victim? Because I find that scope a bit inappropriate.
I find that scope inappropriate too. How about the facts specific to this thread, like what happened to this woman, what is being done to her killer, and what effects it's having on the community?

As opposed to, you know, excessively broad political debates about whether capital punishment is appropriate in general, let alone in a specific case where the facts of what happened are still in dispute and it's not even clear a first-degree murder verdict is supported.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Thu May 06, 2010 3:18 am

This thread felt wrong from the beginning. I'm gonna pull a Stewart here and say that you know a thread that should never have existed when you see it.

jayn3

Silver

Post by jayn3 » Thu May 06, 2010 3:20 am

Kohinoor wrote:This thread felt wrong from the beginning. I'm gonna pull a Stewart here and say that you know a thread that should never have existed when you see it.
+1

quickquestionthanks

Silver

Post by quickquestionthanks » Thu May 06, 2010 3:24 am

Kohinoor wrote:This thread felt wrong from the beginning. I'm gonna pull a Stewart here and say that you know a thread that should never have existed when you see it.

I agree. I was hoping some good would come out of it by discussing the merits of capital punishment, as this type of policy debate is usually held in a sterile environment, free from the traumatic realities of life and social need for retributive justice. This is why it is the only thing I've posted about, beginning with the second reply to this thread. Somehow, I was fooled into thinking that a group of future/current attorneys would want to talk about our criminal justice system on a law school message board.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Thu May 06, 2010 3:26 am

quickquestionthanks wrote:I was hoping some good would come out of it by discussing the merits of capital punishment, as this type of policy debate is usually held in a sterile environment, free from the traumatic realities of life and social need for retributive justice.
You thought some good would come from trying to discuss the politics of capital punishment in the middle of a discussion about someone who was allegedly murdered?

How naive (or insensitive) are you?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jayn3

Silver

Post by jayn3 » Thu May 06, 2010 3:30 am

vanwinkle wrote:
quickquestionthanks wrote:I was hoping some good would come out of it by discussing the merits of capital punishment, as this type of policy debate is usually held in a sterile environment, free from the traumatic realities of life and social need for retributive justice.
You thought some good would come from trying to discuss the politics of capital punishment in the middle of a discussion about someone who was allegedly murdered?

his tar is peter griffin. does that answer your question?

quickquestionthanks

Silver

Post by quickquestionthanks » Thu May 06, 2010 3:38 am

vanwinkle wrote:

In all likelihood, even if this man is guilty, he will not be executed. To me, that is wrong. To not feel sheer anger at the thought that this man would then be able to keep his life seems insensitive to me.

If there is even an iota of a chance that someone who reads this has their opinion changed and goes on to affect policymaking, so that the next time this happens, the perpetrator gets the same treatment he gave his victim, then that is good.

Integrity

Bronze

Post by Integrity » Thu May 06, 2010 3:53 am

Hey, maybe this means some movement on the wait list after all... Just saying...

RIP to the poor girl...that's awful.

quickquestionthanks

Silver

Post by quickquestionthanks » Thu May 06, 2010 4:07 am

Integrity wrote:Hey, maybe this means some movement on the wait list after all... Just saying...

RIP to the poor girl...that's awful.

This is why it's pragmatic to believe in Karma...

I will rest well knowing that comment will not go unpunished.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

billyez

Silver

Post by billyez » Thu May 06, 2010 4:34 am

Well...at least I'm more aware of how insensitive and opportunistic people can be around here...I guess some good came out of this thread in that sense.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”