University of Houston Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
billaboy12

University of Houston Questions

Postby billaboy12 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:50 pm

any current UH students available for questions?

what type of commutes do ya'll make? if driving, from what areas and how is traffic? does anyone take the bus? how efficient is it? How is the parking situation near the law buildings?

do any law students get on-campus meal plans? would it be worth it?

does anyone have any other "advice" for incoming 1Ls that is specific to UH?

thanks!

Josh the Goat

Re: University of Houston Questions

Postby Josh the Goat » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:01 pm

I'm commuting from 59/610 by the Galleria, and it's about a 15-20 minute commute both ways.

This is a commute map from a previous thread that I made. The red circle is approximately 0-5 minutes, green circle is 5-15 minutes, blue circle is 15-25 minutes.

I don't know anyone that takes the bus. Not saying that it's not possible, but I don't know if I would trust the public transportation in that area of town.

Parking sucks at UH. It's probably the thing that I hate most about UH. They built a brand new parking garage, but it's on the corner of campus and you have to pay a fee to park there, in addition to the surface lot pass that you'll have to buy.

Here's a breakdown of parking during the day next to the law school.
Before 9:30 AM - You'll be able to park in the lot next to the law school.
9:30 - 10:30 AM - You'll be lucky to find a spot right next to the law school.
10:30 AM - 4:00 PM - You won't be able to park anywhere within a 10-15 minute walk of the law school unless you act like a vulture and follow people around in the parking lot. If you skip your first class or have any errands to run during the day, you might as well skip the rest of the day because you're not going to want to walk to class carrying your backpack in the 100+ degree heat only to show up to class drenched in sweat.
4:00 PM and later - You'll be able to find a parking space near the law school.

As for meal plans, I don't know anyone that has one. Maybe the people in the dorms do. There's a subway in the commons which is what everyone normally eats if they didn't bring their lunch or there isn't a free lunch event on campus. There's also a chinese restaurant next door to the law center, and a Wendy's at the main UH commons area.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”