Hofstra Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
iiifly

Hofstra Questions

Postby iiifly » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:13 pm

I have a bunch of Hofstra questions. I can't find the topic so I created it.

1. What's the deal with the sections? When I'm enrolled, could I select each class that works best for my schedule or am I locked into these sections for 1L?
2. What's the deal with Legal Writing/Research? Is this class really two days a week? This doesn't fit in my schedule twice a week (I'm part time).
3. Is attendance taken? (I am on flexible scheduling with my employer, however, I will need to disappear from a class or two).
4. Has anyone else worked full time and went to Hofstra? I wish they never axed their evening program, dammit!

British

Re: Hofstra Questions

Postby British » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:55 pm

Hi, I am in the same boat as you and I have all the same questions!

I just posted the following:

"Hi - I have just been admitted to Hofstra's part-time day JD program. I had hoped to continue working at my current job part-time but I just found out that the part-time day 1L schedule is only one class short of the full-time schedule and my classes could be on any day or at any time during the week (apparently I don't get any choice). I had hoped that they would be a bit more flexible.

If anyone is at Hofstra, please answer my question - is it possible to work at the same time as attending the part-time day program? What was your 1L schedule like?

Thank you for your assistance."

Did you ever get any answers to your questions?

Thank you.

iiifly

Postby iiifly » Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:34 pm

I can't tell if I posted the blue text you indicate or you did? I could've sworn I did, which is scary. Looks like we are indeed in the same situation.

Edit: Ya, def not me, says OP works PT - heh, I'm FT.

Dripworx

Postby Dripworx » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:06 am

Any tips on off campus housing in the area?

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:28 pm

Dripworx wrote:Any tips on off campus housing in the area?

Whatever you do, don't live in Hempstead.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:05 pm

Ah Hofstra.... The Harvard of Hempstead!

JLR

Postby JLR » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:19 am

Still beating the drum.

Dripworx

Postby Dripworx » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:42 am

ndirish2010 wrote:

whats the deal with hempstead? I saw some good looking apartment offers there... im from south florida so im basing that off pictures they emailed me.

Always Credited

Postby Always Credited » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:50 am

reasonable_man wrote:Ah Hofstra.... The Harvard of Hempstead!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:24 pm

No matter where you live around Hofstra.. Your boys at school will all look like this:

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:01 pm

Dripworx wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:

whats the deal with hempstead? I saw some good looking apartment offers there... im from south florida so im basing that off pictures they emailed me.

About 70 years ago, Hempstead was a decent place to live. It is one of the most crime infested places on Long Island. You're going to want to try to move east on Hempstead Turnpike from Hofstra to the more decent areas, and you should still be able to find some ok rent as long as you stay out of Garden City.

Dripworx

Postby Dripworx » Mon May 02, 2011 10:08 am

reasonable_man wrote:No matter where you live around Hofstra.. Your boys at school will all look like this:

lawl

I know. Im used to it though, I live in miami so we have plenty of those ^^ with darker tans and nicer cars :/

I guess ill have to look into East meadow, or garden city area. Apparently hempstead is a no-no

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Mon May 02, 2011 11:05 am

All kidding aside (and putting aside the fact that I generally believe that Hofstra is probably the worst mistake a person can make), the best place to look over there (as far as price and quality of life is concerned), would be East Meadow, Levittown, Merrick, Bellmore, Wantaugh/Seaford, etc. They are all regular run of the mill blue collar towns. If you find 2 or 3 guys to live with, you can pull a house rental for around 2300 to 2500. If not, you're looking at a basement apt for 600 to 1000 or a top flor rental in a cape for 1200 to 1500. Long Island isn't known for a strong apartment market, so you sorta have that working against you. Any of the nicer development apartments are wayyyy over priced. However, if you found 2 roommates, even one of those might be workable.

And at the end of the day... While Girls like this are generally trashy, abhorrent and awful in every possible way:

--ImageRemoved--

They are still good for at least one thing (besides an STD), so long as you get rid of them within 3 hours of sealing the deal - a/k/a the Long Island version of the 5 second rule...

JLR

Postby JLR » Mon May 02, 2011 12:18 pm

You might also consider Rockville Center.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Mon May 02, 2011 1:54 pm

I would review this website before you move in:

http://www.getoffourisland.com/index.html

Younger Abstention

Postby Younger Abstention » Wed May 04, 2011 11:35 pm

ehhh johnnny you do da tohhts reading for tomorra???

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”