Chicago 2L Takings ?s

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
hiromoto45

Re: Chicago 2L Takings ?s

Postby hiromoto45 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:42 pm

How often does the 172 bus run from regents to UC?
Is there a bus late at night to take you back to regents? If you are studying at the library.

A Fern Port

Postby A Fern Port » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:04 pm

hiromoto45 wrote:How often does the 172 bus run from regents to UC?
Is there a bus late at night to take you back to regents? If you are studying at the library.

The 172 runs every 15 minutes between 10am-6pm. Prior to 10am, I think it runs a bit more often than every 15 minutes.

Past 6pm, you can take the university evening bus routes. The schedule for them may be found here. The East bus, from these routes, stops right in front of Regents.

thorntll

Postby thorntll » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:22 pm

So, I found a place I really love at 61st and Cottage Grove. I'm a 24 year old white woman. My boyfriend (also white) might want to take the green line into the city. Am I crazy for living there?

Mr. T6

Postby Mr. T6 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:15 pm

thorntll wrote:So, I found a place I really love at 61st and Cottage Grove. I'm a 24 year old white woman. My boyfriend (also white) might want to take the green line into the city. Am I crazy for living there?

No, not crazy. It may be a little sketchy at night, but, worse comes to worse, you can move out later.

A Fern Port

Postby A Fern Port » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:26 pm

thorntll wrote:So, I found a place I really love at 61st and Cottage Grove. I'm a 24 year old white woman. My boyfriend (also white) might want to take the green line into the city. Am I crazy for living there?

I really doubt you'd get hurt or anything, and you wouldn't be the only law student around, but I wouldn't live there. Of course, I wouldn't really live south of the Midway at all, aside from University housing, but that's also due to a lack of nearby amenities.

For what it's worth, during the 2.5 years I've been in law school, there have been two murders on the block of 61st and Cottage Grove. For example...

Mr. T6

Postby Mr. T6 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:18 pm

I have friends that live around there and they seem fine with it. But, yeah, that article is very scary and tragic.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Sat May 01, 2010 12:52 am

Wait, it is less safe for you to live there because you are white?

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sat May 01, 2010 1:04 am

emrose wrote:

Ever been to Chicago?

thorntll

Postby thorntll » Sat May 01, 2010 1:35 am

Renzo wrote:
emrose wrote:

Ever been to Chicago?

I'm not trying to say there's some black-against-white feud, that would be silly. I'm just saying that white people are in the minority in Woodlawn, and Woodlawn has a long, long history of racial tension.

Edited for clarity.
Last edited by thorntll on Sun May 02, 2010 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

hiromoto45

Postby hiromoto45 » Sat May 01, 2010 1:53 am

:roll:

cranberry

Postby cranberry » Sat May 01, 2010 12:27 pm

are there ever snow issues with the buses? like, if i live on 51st street and there is a major blizzard outside can i count on the bus to get me to class?

Mr. T6

Postby Mr. T6 » Sat May 01, 2010 12:47 pm

cranberry wrote:are there ever snow issues with the buses? like, if i live on 51st street and there is a major blizzard outside can i count on the bus to get me to class?

Not really. And if there's a major blizzard, you might want to stay indoors anyway. Law school classes are never *that* important.

I had one blizzard/bus experience. The bus drove so slowly, I felt like I was in a snow globe.

A Fern Port

Postby A Fern Port » Sat May 01, 2010 4:32 pm

cranberry wrote:are there ever snow issues with the buses? like, if i live on 51st street and there is a major blizzard outside can i count on the bus to get me to class?

I've never heard of snow issues with the buses. Chicago, as a city, is pretty good about keeping roads drivable during snowfall.

thorntll

Postby thorntll » Wed May 05, 2010 8:48 am

I posted this in the Class of 2013 thread, but I was hoping to get some advice from current students. Sorry I keep harping on the Regents thing, it's just that we have to sign by the end of this month in order to get the reduced rate, and I really can't decide what to do. I don't really want to live in Regents, or even in Hyde Park, but so many people recommend it that I'm questioning my decision.

So, my questions are these: What are the benefits of living in Hyde Park (or specifically Regents)? Everyone says that they recommend it, but no one really says why. Is it because you're going to be going back and forth between your apartment and school a lot, so it's good to be nearby? Is it because people party in their apartments in HP? Is it because people have study groups and whatnot in Regents?

Again, sorry I keep talking about this...

Mr. T6

Postby Mr. T6 » Wed May 05, 2010 11:10 am

thorntll wrote:I posted this in the Class of 2013 thread, but I was hoping to get some advice from current students. Sorry I keep harping on the Regents thing, it's just that we have to sign by the end of this month in order to get the reduced rate, and I really can't decide what to do. I don't really want to live in Regents, or even in Hyde Park, but so many people recommend it that I'm questioning my decision.

So, my questions are these: What are the benefits of living in Hyde Park (or specifically Regents)? Everyone says that they recommend it, but no one really says why. Is it because you're going to be going back and forth between your apartment and school a lot, so it's good to be nearby? Is it because people party in their apartments in HP? Is it because people have study groups and whatnot in Regents?

You nailed the positives, which are mostly proximity to the law school and a more active social life.

But I knew a girl who lived in the South Loop with her boyfriend and did well socially. I also knew several married couples in the Northside who made good friends and had study groups. If you don't want to live in Regent's, don't. Who are these people, anyway, and why should they tell you what to do? On what basis?

A Fern Port

Postby A Fern Port » Wed May 05, 2010 7:36 pm

thorntll wrote:I posted this in the Class of 2013 thread, but I was hoping to get some advice from current students. Sorry I keep harping on the Regents thing, it's just that we have to sign by the end of this month in order to get the reduced rate, and I really can't decide what to do. I don't really want to live in Regents, or even in Hyde Park, but so many people recommend it that I'm questioning my decision.

Those are the benefits.

If you don't want to live in Regents, don't. If you don't want to live in Hyde Park, don't.

By second year, most people end up living elsewhere anyhow.

echoi

Postby echoi » Thu May 06, 2010 12:20 am

A lot of the listings on uchicagoapartments.com/elsewhere online seem to be looking for summer sub-lets/include summer leases right now--do more places for the following school year start opening up as the current school year ends? Or is current availability a good indication of fall housing options?

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Thu May 06, 2010 2:36 am

Do you know the deal with carpool parking passes? With 3 people in the car it is free? Do they check to make sure you have three people every time you enter the lot? Would you be able to get a spot in the law school lot with one of these passes?

Does anyone bike or ride a scooter to school in the winter? I was thinking of picking up a scooter, but thought maybe one of these would be better in the snow:

Maybe I'm just fooling myself that I can handle riding in the cold though.

Mr. T6

Postby Mr. T6 » Thu May 06, 2010 11:01 am

echoi wrote:A lot of the listings on uchicagoapartments.com/elsewhere online seem to be looking for summer sub-lets/include summer leases right now--do more places for the following school year start opening up as the current school year ends? Or is current availability a good indication of fall housing options?

Yes, wait a few months.

Mr. T6

Postby Mr. T6 » Thu May 06, 2010 11:04 am

emrose wrote:Do you know the deal with carpool parking passes? With 3 people in the car it is free? Do they check to make sure you have three people every time you enter the lot? Would you be able to get a spot in the law school lot with one of these passes?

Does anyone bike or ride a scooter to school in the winter? I was thinking of picking up a scooter, but thought maybe one of these would be better in the snow:

1. No idea, but no one checks the lot. There's no guard or anything.
2. Some people bike. I haven't seen scooters.
3. It does get very cold. Be careful.

freeflowfox

Postby freeflowfox » Thu May 06, 2010 12:11 pm

I ride through the winter, I'm from Toronto, which probably has equal or worse winters than Chicago. The trick: ride faster, and ride a road bike with thin wheels, so you can cut through the snow. Single gear so that salt doesn't get into the gears. With this method i only stopped riding one day during the winter of 2008-2009, and that's I think because i had nothing to do that day. Since Chicago doesn't have street cars (rails), it's probably even safer than Toronto, where i used to get my wheel into the tracks and wipe out once in a while.

Disclaimer: poster is extremely reckless and one of probably two people who bike through the winter in Toronto.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Thu May 06, 2010 2:21 pm

freeflowfox wrote:I ride through the winter, I'm from Toronto, which probably has equal or worse winters than Chicago. The trick: ride faster, and ride a road bike with thin wheels, so you can cut through the snow. Single gear so that salt doesn't get into the gears. With this method i only stopped riding one day during the winter of 2008-2009, and that's I think because i had nothing to do that day. Since Chicago doesn't have street cars (rails), it's probably even safer than Toronto, where i used to get my wheel into the tracks and wipe out once in a while.

Disclaimer: poster is extremely reckless and one of probably two people who bike through the winter in Toronto.

Thanks for the info. Yeah, I think if I were to bike I would buy one of those single-speed Trek bikes with a belt drive. Seems like that would be win as far as maintenance and dealing with the salt. I was worried about riding on road bike wheels and tires on icy days though.

A Fern Port

Postby A Fern Port » Thu May 06, 2010 7:38 pm

Mr. T6 wrote:
emrose wrote:Do you know the deal with carpool parking passes? With 3 people in the car it is free? Do they check to make sure you have three people every time you enter the lot? Would you be able to get a spot in the law school lot with one of these passes?

1. No idea, but no one checks the lot. There's no guard or anything.
2. Some people bike. I haven't seen scooters.
3. It does get very cold. Be careful.

You won't be able to park a car in the law school lot, even carpooling. I think there are some passes for carpooling 3Ls, but you won't get these as a 1L (or a 2L).

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Thu May 06, 2010 8:49 pm

A Fern Port wrote:
You won't be able to park a car in the law school lot, even carpooling. I think there are some passes for carpooling 3Ls, but you won't get these as a 1L (or a 2L).

Thanks. I don't understand why they give us information about applying for parking permits if there are none available though. :|

moxypoxy

Postby moxypoxy » Thu May 06, 2010 11:51 pm

When/how do we get a lease for an apartment in Regents?

Is there a board or anything for law students looking for roommates? I'd rather split a 2br

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”