Chicago 2L Takings ?s

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
A Fern Port

Re: Chicago 2L Takings ?s

Postby A Fern Port » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:18 pm

Mr. T6 wrote:
hiromoto45 wrote:1.When do we get our email address?
2. Can you sync it to gmail?

1. No clue. Probably in June or July.
2. Almost everyone does.

For 1, I got mine in mid-to-late June. That was a few years ago though.

hiromoto45

Postby hiromoto45 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:57 am

Is New Grad another name for Windermere House?

echoi

Postby echoi » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:39 am

hiromoto45 wrote:Is New Grad another name for Windermere House?

No, New Grad is the graduate student dorms. Windermere House is a private high rise run by Mac management co.

tintin

Postby tintin » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:18 pm

not sure if either of you two could answer this but...

how hard is it to do an independent research class with a prof? what about a well known one like case or nussbaum?

Mr. T6

Postby Mr. T6 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:37 pm

tintin wrote:not sure if either of you two could answer this but...

how hard is it to do an independent research class with a prof? what about a well known one like case or nussbaum?

I cannot answer it, sorry. I imagine it's easier than you think. Also, I did not know that Case was well-known.

hiromoto45

Postby hiromoto45 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:40 pm

Do 1Ls live in Windermere? I want to live in a high-rise that is close to Campus. Any suggestions?

Grond

Postby Grond » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:45 pm

What's your favorite Wallace Stevens poem?

Mr. T6

Postby Mr. T6 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:19 pm

hiromoto45 wrote:Do 1Ls live in Windermere? I want to live in a high-rise that is close to Campus. Any suggestions?

I know one who lives in Windermere, but I'm not on especially good terms with her, so you're on your own in terms of soliciting info.

Fancy Pants

Postby Fancy Pants » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:47 pm

hiromoto45 wrote:Do 1Ls live in Windermere? I want to live in a high-rise that is close to Campus. Any suggestions?

There is a Chi student on TLS that lives or lived there. Maybe try searching the board and see if you can find them?

hesitantstyle

Postby hesitantstyle » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:39 am

Grond wrote:What's your favorite Wallace Stevens poem?

Not a Chicago 2L, but 'Le Monocle de Mon Oncle'.

quetzalcoatl

Postby quetzalcoatl » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:47 am

Ever had to deal with Hyde Park crime? Is it really that bad or more of a "dont leave your car unlocked" type of thing. Ive had my car broken into 3 times this year (locked). Wondering how much of a problem it actually is at U of C?

Mr. T6

Postby Mr. T6 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:15 am

quetzalcoatl wrote:Ever had to deal with Hyde Park crime? Is it really that bad or more of a "dont leave your car unlocked" type of thing. Ive had my car broken into 3 times this year (locked). Wondering how much of a problem it actually is at U of C?

It hasn't been an issue for me or anyone I know, Thank God, but you should still be careful. The neighborhood is getting safer as it moves south, at least in my area around 60th. They installed bright new lights and the bushy-eyed undergrads cover the sidewalks even late.

AngryAvocado

Postby AngryAvocado » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:35 am

Mr. T6 wrote:
quetzalcoatl wrote:Ever had to deal with Hyde Park crime? Is it really that bad or more of a "dont leave your car unlocked" type of thing. Ive had my car broken into 3 times this year (locked). Wondering how much of a problem it actually is at U of C?

It hasn't been an issue for me or anyone I know, Thank God, but you should still be careful. The neighborhood is getting safer as it moves south, at least in my area around 60th. They installed bright new lights and the bushy-eyed undergrads cover the sidewalks even late.

Bushy-eyed as in innocent, or bushy-eyed as in bushy eyebrows/unibrows? I've heard about the UG stereotype, but that's a whole new level...

Grond

Postby Grond » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:32 pm

hesitantstyle wrote:
Grond wrote:What's your favorite Wallace Stevens poem?

Not a Chicago 2L, but 'Le Monocle de Mon Oncle'.

Interesting. I'm partial to 'Thirteen Ways of Looking at a Blackbird'.

quetzalcoatl

Postby quetzalcoatl » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:48 pm

Mr. T6 wrote:

What about near Regents? It didnt seem that bad when we toured, only got a quick look around though. Made a little money this year and Ive been thinking about buying a new car (used BMW). Maybe not a good idea to be driving around in Hyde Park in a nice car. I might just stick with the 11 year old piece I drive now and wait to treat myself till after I graduate law school.

A Fern Port

Postby A Fern Port » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:12 pm

quetzalcoatl wrote:What about near Regents? It didnt seem that bad when we toured, only got a quick look around though. Made a little money this year and Ive been thinking about buying a new car (used BMW). Maybe not a good idea to be driving around in Hyde Park in a nice car. I might just stick with the 11 year old piece I drive now and wait to treat myself till after I graduate law school.

The area around Regents is just as safe as, if not safer than, the area around the Law School.

I have seen the occasional Jaguar street-parked in Hyde Park. Your car would not be unique. If you actually intend to live in Regents, though, it may be worth simply purchasing parking (which is in a parking garage).

A Fern Port

Postby A Fern Port » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:14 pm

tintin wrote:not sure if either of you two could answer this but...

It is very easy to get an independent study. You simply come up with a topic and discuss the topic with the professor. If they think it is a good topic, you then have an independent study.

There are students who have done 2-3 independent studies.

A Fern Port

Postby A Fern Port » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:16 pm

Not personally, no. In three years, I know of one person who had their car broken into (I believe they had their CD collection stolen, or something stupid like that). I also know of 3Ls who still street-park their cars around Regents, which should tell you something about their level of concern about car-related crimes.

thorntll

Postby thorntll » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:43 pm

Speaking of Regents, would you mind sharing the pro's and con's of living there? I can't decide, and I suspect there are factors I haven't even thought of. For example, I've heard things like sometimes you can't get on the bus because it's too crowded at the Regents stop. I never would've thought of that. If you have any enlightening reasons for or against, I would appreciate it.

echoi

Postby echoi » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:44 pm

will i be able to bike around during the winter or would i look crazy doing it?

Mr. T6

Postby Mr. T6 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:56 pm

thorntll wrote:Speaking of Regents, would you mind sharing the pro's and con's of living there? I can't decide, and I suspect there are factors I haven't even thought of. For example, I've heard things like sometimes you can't get on the bus because it's too crowded at the Regents stop. I never would've thought of that. If you have any enlightening reasons for or against, I would appreciate it.

Full disclosure: I lived there for a summer.

Cons: it's expensive. WAY too expensive compared to the market price.
The management seems greedy. They make you pay $30 if you lock yourself out. They don't let you use the gym without a premium.
It's too big. There's no sense of community, unlike New Grad or some other places.

Pros: None.

Mr. T6

Postby Mr. T6 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:57 pm

echoi wrote:will i be able to bike around during the winter or would i look crazy doing it?

You wouldn't look crazy. Some of my sanest classmates have bikes.

thorntll

Postby thorntll » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:34 pm

Mr. T6 wrote:
thorntll wrote:Speaking of Regents, would you mind sharing the pro's and con's of living there? I can't decide, and I suspect there are factors I haven't even thought of. For example, I've heard things like sometimes you can't get on the bus because it's too crowded at the Regents stop. I never would've thought of that. If you have any enlightening reasons for or against, I would appreciate it.

Full disclosure: I lived there for a summer.

The management seems greedy. They make you pay $30 if you lock yourself out. They don't let you use the gym without a premium.
It's too big. There's no sense of community, unlike New Grad or some other places.

Hmm... Have you ever heard of anyone living in Algonquin Apartments? (They're the ones who freaking smear the Craigslist listing with their apartments.) I think they're right near Regents.

A Fern Port

Postby A Fern Port » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:37 pm

Mr. T6 wrote:Full disclosure: I lived there for a summer.

Every part of this is wrong.

It's price is roughly market rate for an apartment of its type in the neighborhood (apartments are large, some have direct lake and city-views, conceirge to sign for UPS/FedEx packages, etc). It's very reasonable if you split a 2 bedroom.

Second, you get at least a couple free lock-outs, maybe as many as once a month. I'm not sure how many. It is definitely not the case that you must pay $30 each time. (And if you're just unable to get past the door at the front, the doorman will let you in every time for free if he knows you.)

Third, well, I suppose there isn't a sense of community, aside from among the 1Ls actually living there. But then again, this isn't a dorm. No one moves into a 1000-unit apartment building expecting to get to know everyone else there, do they?

As for the bus bit... Regents is the first stop for the bus. People at Regents will always be able to get on the bus, as it's empty at that point. It is people down the line that sometimes can't get on the 172. It goes down 51st (Hyde Park Blvd), and can be busy in the morning. People at Regents more or less always get the seats on the bus, and people down the line stand, during the busy hours. (Which are the half an hour before 1L classes start, or before B-School/Med School classes start.)

I would recommend living in Regents. FWIW, I lived there fore more than a single summer.

A Fern Port

Postby A Fern Port » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:41 pm

thorntll wrote:Hmm... Have you ever heard of anyone living in Algonquin Apartments? (They're the ones who freaking smear the Craigslist listing with their apartments.) I think they're right near Regents.

They are okay. They are smaller than Regents, and lack central air/heat. (There is an A/C on the wall, and wall-heaters, which aren't always able to keep up with Chicago winters, so you might want a space-heater or something.) They'll also have a lot fewer 1Ls living in them. I think they are a bit cheaper than Regents, but I don't really know.

They have nice kitchens, and a tiny little gym that is free. (Note that students can go to the university's Ratner gym for free, which is nicer than even the Regents gym, but it is a mile or two from these buildings, so you have to drive/take the buss/hike a ways.)

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”